• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 weeklies for Xiaomi Mi 5

Search This thread

_HuMbUcKeR_

May 13, 2021
I would like to start by thanking everyone that is contributing to the development of this great ROM for this great device.

I've used it as my daily driver for more than 4 years and I would like to give it a new life.
This seems to be my device with the best DAC, so it would be my first choice for music listening. It's better than the Mi 10T with the provided 3.5mm dongle and I don't need a dongle :) !
However the frequency response from my headphones is not as flat as I would like, so I've tried to install Wavelet on my Mi 5.

The problem is that when I start playing something in any of the audio applications I have a popup with "Wavelet was unable to instantiate DynamicsProcessing effects".
After doing a quick search it seems that the problem could be on the ROM:
It seems that often the DynamicsProcessing library is installed, but needs to be configured using a commit like:

@bgcngm and @h2o64 could you please have a look at this?
Thank you very much!

herdem09

Apr 7, 2013
Hi _HuMbUcKeR_
I am getting continuous background hissing on my 16 ohm iems. The noise is not present if I use Apple's USB DAC. Do you have the same noise?

_HuMbUcKeR_

May 13, 2021
Hi _HuMbUcKeR_
I am getting continuous background hissing on my 16 ohm iems. The noise is not present if I use Apple's USB DAC. Do you have the same noise?
Hi @herdem09

It should be something related with the lower impedance.
I've had to test it with a very quiet song, but I confirm that I can also hear the hissing with my 32 ohm in-ears. The hissing is not present if I use my 50 ohm open over-ears, the sound is crystal clear.

I don't remember if the issue was present in the Xiaomi offical ROM, even using the 32 ohm in-ears, that I've been using most of the time over the last years, the hissing is barely unnoticeable with the last LineageOS build.
But if the problem is the lower impedance, unfortunately it should be more noticeable with your 16 ohms iems.

If I connect my 32 ohm in-ears to the Mi 10T, using the included Xiaomi 3.5mm adaptor, the hissing is more noticeable. The Mi 5 DAC is for sure much better than the adapter bundled with Mi 10T, but for lower impedance the Apple's USB DAC could be better.

Do you have any higher impedance headphones to confirm my thesis?

herdem09

Apr 7, 2013
Hi @herdem09

It should be something related with the lower impedance.
I've had to test it with a very quiet song, but I confirm that I can also hear the hissing with my 32 ohm in-ears. The hissing is not present if I use my 50 ohm open over-ears, the sound is crystal clear.

I don't remember if the issue was present in the Xiaomi offical ROM, even using the 32 ohm in-ears, that I've been using most of the time over the last years, the hissing is barely unnoticeable with the last LineageOS build.
But if the problem is the lower impedance, unfortunately it should be more noticeable with your 16 ohms iems.

If I connect my 32 ohm in-ears to the Mi 10T, using the included Xiaomi 3.5mm adaptor, the hissing is more noticeable. The Mi 5 DAC is for sure much better than the adapter bundled with Mi 10T, but for lower impedance the Apple's USB DAC could be better.

Do you have any higher impedance headphones to confirm my thesis?
I have recently sold my 32ohm DT770's, so unfortunately I do not have a chance to try. While looking for a replacement, I wanted to try Chi-fi iems and got a Kbear ks1. Its sensitivity is around ~106dB if I'm not mistaken. I've tried UAPP to bypass Android's resampling to see if it is the culprit. It did not make any change, so I'm also guessing the culprit must be the IEMs with low impedance and high sensitivity. Thanks for your detailed response.

Reactions: _HuMbUcKeR_

nebik

Dec 11, 2010
I upgraded my mi 5 from 7.1.2 to latest lineage-18.1-20210523. After backup and full wipe i installed MI5Global_V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM firmware and then linegeos, camera does not work. I restored from backup back to 7.1.2- camera works fine, tried to install MI5Global_V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM rom itself - camera works there, but not in lineage-18.1-20210523 and idk why >_< camera app just dissapears from os

nebik

Dec 11, 2010
problem with camera for me is that even when Setup Wizard prompt you to add WiFi with QR code it is just white screen there for me, i can not scan anything. it is like phone does not know it has a camera and lineage os's camera app just dissapears from the phone after some time. i never had such problem before

booci

Jan 28, 2009
Buzau
I upgraded my mi 5 from 7.1.2 to latest lineage-18.1-20210523. After backup and full wipe i installed MI5Global_V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM firmware and then linegeos, camera does not work. I restored from backup back to 7.1.2- camera works fine, tried to install MI5Global_V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM rom itself - camera works there, but not in lineage-18.1-20210523 and idk why >_< camera app just dissapears from os
Problem with gapps. Use the recommended package.

Ekibunnel

May 24, 2021
null
First of all many thanks for this, running latest android on my old mi5 device is soo nice.

But I got one issue, I got somes random reboots when unlocking the phone.
I'm running the latest lineage 18.1 with the recommended MindTheGapps.

Anyone else having this issue ?

Last edited:

metalico_zgz

May 26, 2021
Xiaomi Mi 5
Hello everyone and many thanks to you guys working on this ROM.

I wonder if I am the only one having problems with the GPS. I am running the latest lineage 18.1 version (23 May 2021). The issue is that my phone GPS sees many satellites but it doesn't lock to anyone. In GPS Status I see something like 0/10, where 0 remains always 0 and 10 varies all the time. Before installing this update it was working fine. Sorry, I cannot say which update I was running, but it was 18.1.

I already had this issue last summer on 17.1, but after one update it started working again. I have checked on the forum, you can see some comments talking about this topic in July (with some hard discussions) in the post [ROM][DISCONTINUED] LineageOS 17.1 for Xiaomi Mi 5. The posts on end August and September say that the GPS configuration was rolled back to a previous version. I remember that GPS started working again but I can't remember the dates.

Before clean installing everything after wiping my phone (sorry guys, I have a baby at home and not much time) I wanted to ask if someone else is experimenting this issue. Specially because it looks like the issue last summer which was solved with one new update.

Thank you.

uli-hh

Aug 10, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
My experience with GPS under LOS 18.1 is like this: I use the app "GPS Locker" to get a first GPS lock. After starting the app I can see immediate a lot of satellites but it can take up to one minute til I get the GPS lock. After this first lock I get GPS locks within seconds on all apps.

Reactions: metalico_zgz

metalico_zgz

May 26, 2021
Xiaomi Mi 5
I am also writing from Hamburg. So we can be sure, the location or the current weather isn't playing a role in this issue.

Thank you for your comment. I have tried that app and my phone sees many satellites but won't lock to anyone. I have waited for more than 10 minutes. The locking used to last less than one minute before the last update.

Well, for now I will wait and hope for an update which will fix this.

nebik

Dec 11, 2010
Problem with gapps. Use the recommended package.
I do not think it is gapps because i installed pure lineage-18.1-20210523 without any gapps and camera still does not work. On first startup when i can not connect to wifi with QR code it is just white screen and there is no camera app in OS itself, it just dissapeared after startup. But in 7.1.2 and MiUI 10.2.2 camera works fine

Attachments

• _DSC0024.jpg
    _DSC0024.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 21

herdem09

Apr 7, 2013
I am using this ROM without any problems regarding camera, GPS (locks within seconds) or random reboots that are mentioned above. I am using microG version though. Only problem was CPU clocks staying low when "interactive" CPU governor was used. Solved by setting it to "conservative".

topo01

Aug 10, 2014
Munich
Xiaomi Mi 5
I have no reboots and my camera is working ok (except Gcam Selfie Cam makes strange green color distortion).

But I confirm the GPS issue! It works all ok as long as there is mobile data signal. But if the phone is depending on GPS only it takes ages to locate.

(Totally OT: This new XDA forum app is still a grab into the toilet...)

booci

Jan 28, 2009
Buzau
I do not think it is gapps because i installed pure lineage-18.1-20210523 without any gapps and camera still does not work. On first startup when i can not connect to wifi with QR code it is just white screen and there is no camera app in OS itself, it just dissapeared after startup. But in 7.1.2 and MiUI 10.2.2 camera works fine
Upgrade from 17.1 or clean flash?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh. I think that's new.
    It remains even after reboot?
    Issue solved🤗.Flash official LOS 17.1 archive version,then flash LOS18.1 dirty flash and factory reset make all sensors alive.Thanks a lot🙂
    New build is up. Since this is based on the new AOSP feature drop, it's now Lineage 18.1. Enjoy. :cool:
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:
    yG18r6g.png

Broken / not yet supported:
    • Nothing (?)

Working:
    • Camera (and flashlight)
    • WiFi
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth
    • Telephony (Calls and Data), including VoLTE
    • Audio (Record and Playback)
    • Video Playback
    • Sensors
    • GPS
    • HW crypto (FDE)

Compatibility:
    Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi 5 variants (32GB / 64GB / 128GB). Xiaomi Mi 5S and 5S Plus are not supported.​
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 8.0 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM global stable package.​

Downloads:

Notice:
    • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 5 - Direct link)
    • Format /system, /data and /cache
    • Install LineageOS zip package
    • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
    Important notes:
    • Current minimal * required * firmware version is MIUI V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM global stable, otherwise installation will fail. Download the latest dev fastboot package directly from Xiaomi and flash it prior to installing LineageOS or, alternatively, download and install one of the latest custom packages containing firmware only (at your own risk).
    • GApps can only be flashed on clean installs.
    • Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.

Credits & collaborations:
    This work is due to efforts from Mi5Devs founding members (@h2o64 and me) that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @deovferreira for all the help during the kernel bring-up after source code dropped. Last but not least, pleasure having @luca020400 and @LuK1337 onboard since the bring-up of the whole Xiaomi 8996 family.​
    Finally, all LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!​

Device wiki:
    New build is up, with this month's Android security fixes already included.
    New build is up. It includes March's security patch.
    Official nightlies should be out real soon. :)