[ROM][DISCONTINUED] LineageOS 18.1 for Xiaomi Mi 5

Search This thread

Crim Soukyuu

Jun 10, 2014
Joined the club with lineage-18.1-20210530 and so far no major problems. The phone feels fast, no lags, no freezes, I'm impressed!

Here are some things that I did notice:
  • WiFi-Display seems unsupported?
  • VoLTE works, but VoWiFi doesn't seem to be supported? At least there is no toggle to enable it.
  • Android Auto works, but USB-audio seems to be broken: starting Spotify from Android Auto plays from phone speaker.
  • BT-audio works, no dropouts (had some on crDroid)
  • GPay works with MagiskHide enabled
  • No problems with GPS, the fix without mobile data takes about 5 seconds and is very accurate, with plenty of satellites. Hell, it's more accurate than my mix3 at the moment...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-184012_GPSTest.png
    Screenshot_20210601-184012_GPSTest.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 103

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Here are some things that I did notice:
  • WiFi-Display seems unsupported?
  • VoLTE works, but VoWiFi doesn't seem to be supported? At least there is no toggle to enable it.
  • Android Auto works, but USB-audio seems to be broken: starting Spotify from Android Auto plays from phone speaker.
  • BT-audio works, no dropouts (had some on crDroid)
  • GPay works with MagiskHide enabled
  • No problems with GPS, the fix without mobile data takes about 5 seconds and is very accurate, with plenty of satellites. Hell, it's more accurate than my mix3 at the moment...
- Yes, WFD is (currently?) unsupported due to broken vendor blobs.
- VoWiFi is unsupported. I never managed to get it working on this device and I am not sure if it even worked on stock.
- Can you share some logs after reproducing the USB-audio issue with Android Auto (make sure to increase log buffer in dev options)?

Reactions: andy356

Crim Soukyuu

Jun 10, 2014
- Yes, WFD is (currently?) unsupported due to broken vendor blobs.
- VoWiFi is unsupported. I never managed to get it working on this device and I am not sure if it even worked on stock.
- Can you share some logs after reproducing the USB-audio issue with Android Auto (make sure to increase log buffer in dev options)?
  • There were some crashing WFD problems with perseus (mix3) that got fixed by reverting some commits I think, maybe it's something similar?
  • Not sure if it was there on MIUI, but VoLTE is good enough, or rather, HD voice support
  • I've attached the logs to the post. What I did was
    • clear logcat buffer
    • connect to my car
    • start spotify as soon as it loaded
    • switched some songs
    • looked at available output sinks in the GUI
    • looked if BT was paired and connected to the car
    • checked if BT phone/media playback is enabled in BT configuration
    • disconnected from the car
    Do tell, if the log buffer has to be increased, I had no time to look for the option to increase log buffer size, sadly.

Attachments

• logs_no_usb_audio_2021-06-05_18.56.zip
    404.7 KB · Views: 6

xostia

Sep 11, 2009
Hi,

Your ROM is amazing... great performance and low battery.

There are two details that I would like to ask (the first one more important):

- The Mi5 switches off the wifi some seconds after the screen is off. I checked all the options (even developer) and I did not find the way to maintain the wifi connected. Can you help me? (location is turned off and no SIM installed... if that is useful)

- Other detail, not so important... is there any way to reduce the level of vibration (in original MIUI it was possible to select a softer vibration.

Thanks a lot! you are a magician... :)

Last edited:

metalico_zgz

May 26, 2021
Xiaomi Mi 5
Hello everyone and many thanks to you guys working on this ROM.

I wonder if I am the only one having problems with the GPS. I am running the latest lineage 18.1 version (23 May 2021). The issue is that my phone GPS sees many satellites but it doesn't lock to anyone. In GPS Status I see something like 0/10, where 0 remains always 0 and 10 varies all the time. Before installing this update it was working fine. Sorry, I cannot say which update I was running, but it was 18.1.

I already had this issue last summer on 17.1, but after one update it started working again. I have checked on the forum, you can see some comments talking about this topic in July (with some hard discussions) in the post [ROM][DISCONTINUED] LineageOS 17.1 for Xiaomi Mi 5. The posts on end August and September say that the GPS configuration was rolled back to a previous version. I remember that GPS started working again but I can't remember the dates.

Before clean installing everything after wiping my phone (sorry guys, I have a baby at home and not much time) I wanted to ask if someone else is experimenting this issue. Specially because it looks like the issue last summer which was solved with one new update.

Thank you.
Solved!

I installed clean again without success. Then I saw this post:

I did this right now, went to the window and got a gps fix (using GPS Status) within seconds!

I just hope I don't have to do a factory reset every time I install a new update.

Crim Soukyuu

Jun 10, 2014
So it turns out that I am able to make calls, but not receive any. There is no notification, no crash messages, nothing.

I saw post about setting the default phone app, but I only have the built in one and it is set as default. Try asking someone to call you and see what happens...

rowan-jetboy

Aug 17, 2007
I'm seeing the same issue as nebik: Neither the camera or torch are working. The torch reports "Camera in use". They both work in MIUI.

My steps are:
  1. Flash gemini_global_images_V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM_20190115.0000.00_8.0_global with MiFlash
  2. Unlock with miflash_unlock-en-5.5.224.24
  3. Fastboot flash twrp-3.5.2_9-0-gemini.img
  4. In TWRP, wipe all phone partitions
  5. In TWRP, flash lineage-18.1-20210606-nightly-gemini-signed.zip and MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip from USB-OTG
  6. In TWRP, wipe cache and Dalvik and reboot
I've repeated the steps without flashing MindTheGapps, but get the same result with the torch (should I expect the torch to work without GApps?).

Am I doing anything obviously wrong? If not, I'll repeat the process with some older Lineage builds to see if that changes anything.

topo01

Aug 10, 2014
Munich
Xiaomi Mi 5
Samsung Galaxy S22

teddy0209

Feb 5, 2011
Is it a known issue that when bluetooth is turned on, the 2.4GHz wifi speed is reduced to almost just 20%? Or am I the only one experiencing this?

HaSTe

Jul 12, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Just to share my super positive experience:

Coming from LOS 17.1 Official as I like sticking to the official release for the convenience of receiving OTA updates.

1st I downloaded to my phone the latest TWRP 3.5.1 and upgraded (from previous 3.3.1) conveniently within TWRP.

2nd downloaded (also straight to my phone) the 18.1 official lineage image (20210401) + MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64 and directly installed both from TRWP. TWRP offered to wipe dalvik and cache which I did. I did no other wiping.

3rd I bootet to system and absolutely everything was just fine. All my data, media and apps are there and working perfectly.

I used to use Open Gapps Nano package but since they are not ready for 11 I just used Mind the Gapps. It seems to be same as OGNano.
My device is not rooted.
worked perfect, thanx

shnfd

Jun 14, 2021
I'm seeing the same issue as nebik: Neither the camera or torch are working. The torch reports "Camera in use". They both work in MIUI.

My steps are:
  1. Flash gemini_global_images_V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM_20190115.0000.00_8.0_global with MiFlash
  2. Unlock with miflash_unlock-en-5.5.224.24
  3. Fastboot flash twrp-3.5.2_9-0-gemini.img
  4. In TWRP, wipe all phone partitions
  5. In TWRP, flash lineage-18.1-20210606-nightly-gemini-signed.zip and MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip from USB-OTG
  6. In TWRP, wipe cache and Dalvik and reboot
I've repeated the steps without flashing MindTheGapps, but get the same result with the torch (should I expect the torch to work without GApps?).

Am I doing anything obviously wrong? If not, I'll repeat the process with some older Lineage builds to see if that changes anything.

This was my first attempt at LineageOS on my Mi5, and by coincidence I had followed almost the same steps.
(The only difference being flashing both OAAMIXM image and nightly via TWRP recovery)

Migrating from MIUI 10, I first tried 18.1-20210627, and indeed I found the Camera app missing from home, and as rowan-jetboy said notification icon for torch was disabled with message saying "Camera in use". Switching to older 18.1-20210620, with or without MindTheGApps, nothing seemed to enable camera.

Out of blue, I tried lineage-17.1-20210214-nightly-gemini-signed.zip from IA.

Camera app was usable in this version. Seeing this, to double check that newer version had broken something with camera, I reinstalled 18.1-20210627 and guess what; Camera app is there and torch is not disabled! Even after re-formatting data I cannot recreate the issue I had seen earlier.

Would it be possible that installing 17.1-20210214 added and left residue of some sort to firmware, which was missing when I first installed 18.1-20210627, and which turn out was essential in using camera?

Reactions: topo01

_HuMbUcKeR_

May 13, 2021
I would like to start by thanking everyone that is contributing to the development of this great ROM for this great device.

I've used it as my daily driver for more than 4 years and I would like to give it a new life.
This seems to be my device with the best DAC, so it would be my first choice for music listening. It's better than the Mi 10T with the provided 3.5mm dongle and I don't need a dongle :) !
However the frequency response from my headphones is not as flat as I would like, so I've tried to install Wavelet on my Mi 5.

The problem is that when I start playing something in any of the audio applications I have a popup with "Wavelet was unable to instantiate DynamicsProcessing effects".
After doing a quick search it seems that the problem could be on the ROM:

@bgcngm and @h2o64 could you please have a look at this?
Thank you very much!

Hi @bgcngm

Sorry to bother you again with this topic, but did you had a chance to have a look at this?

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right file, but it seems that the "required change" is still missing on:

Meanwhile, It seems the change as been included for other devices:

Thank you for your time!

rh_1363

Jul 2, 2013
Esfahan
Hi
What is the version of android Lineageos 18.1?
Do you recomend to install Lineageos 18.1 instead of stock firmware?
Is there any bog on Lineageos 18.1?
And the last question: Do I have a better choice to choose a decent custom Rom?

_HuMbUcKeR_

May 13, 2021
Hi
What is the version of android Lineageos 18.1?
Do you recomend to install Lineageos 18.1 instead of stock firmware?
Is there any bog on Lineageos 18.1?
And the last question: Do I have a better choice to choose a decent custom Rom?
Android 11.0.0 release 39

Stock firmware is completely outdated, missing years of security fixes. I wouldn't recommend stock firmware.

For sure there will be bugs, it's software :) The question is if there is something that you use daily that is not working as expected.
Open issues on the official bug tracker specific to Xiaomi Mi 5 LOS 18.1:

I didn't tried the other custom ROMs (only MIUI.eu several years ago), but I'm very happy with LineageOS 18.1.

Reactions: rh_1363

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:
    yG18r6g.png

Broken / not yet supported:
    • Nothing (?)

Working:
    • Camera (and flashlight)
    • WiFi
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth
    • Telephony (Calls and Data), including VoLTE
    • Audio (Record and Playback)
    • Video Playback
    • Sensors
    • GPS
    • HW crypto (FDE)

Compatibility:
    Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi 5 variants (32GB / 64GB / 128GB). Xiaomi Mi 5S and 5S Plus are not supported.​
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 8.0 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM global stable package.​

Downloads:

Notice:
    • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 5 - Direct link)
    • Format /system, /data and /cache
    • Install LineageOS zip package
    • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
    Important notes:
    • Current minimal * required * firmware version is MIUI V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM global stable, otherwise installation will fail. Download the latest dev fastboot package directly from Xiaomi and flash it prior to installing LineageOS or, alternatively, download and install one of the latest custom packages containing firmware only (at your own risk).
    • GApps can only be flashed on clean installs.
    • Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.

Credits & collaborations:
    This work is due to efforts from Mi5Devs founding members (@h2o64 and me) that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @deovferreira for all the help during the kernel bring-up after source code dropped. Last but not least, pleasure having @luca020400 and @LuK1337 onboard since the bring-up of the whole Xiaomi 8996 family.​
    Finally, all LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!​

Device wiki:
    New build is up. Since this is based on the new AOSP feature drop, it's now Lineage 18.1. Enjoy. :cool:
    New build is up, with this month's Android security fixes already included.
    A new thing is coming soon!
    New build is up. It includes March's security patch.