[Discontinued][ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 - Xiaomi Mi 8

Search This thread

haxnhaxn

Dec 6, 2011
Hey friends, I've tried to read through this whole thread, but I think my search terms are too broad/generic. Could someone quickly refresh me what "firmware" is that is being referred to throughout? I get it that by flashing OEM Xiaomi firmware I might flash some software unique to running this phone, before flashing any custom ROMs.

However, in the past, OEM firmware is installed using wonky flashing software (like Flashtool for SONY) and typically rewrites the whole phone, including the recovery partition, thus nullifying my ability to subsequently install any custom ROM. Is that not the case being discussed in this thread?

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: I did just bludgeon my way through and installed the "firmware" for the Xiaomi Mi 8 via TWRP, and then the LineageOS zip via TWRP, and have rebooted and all appears to be in working order.

Followup question: I had begun this process because I had thought the Mi 8 had a better camera than a 12 megapixel in the back. Also, I started using OpenCamera, which allows switching between cameras manually, which I thought neat. However, with this, and the previous (Havoc) installation, it seems like the camera is nerfed, or not reading the hardware correctly? Or, do I remember wrong and the hardware camera on the Mi 8 is only 12 mp in the back?
The rear-facing camera module features twin 12Mp cameras, one a wide-angle with a 1/2.55-inch size sensor, 1.4µm pixels, and an f/1.8-aperture lens, and the other a short telephoto with a slightly slower f/2.4 aperture. Other features include phase detection autofocus, 4-axis optical image stabilization (OIS) on the wide-angle module, and an LED flash. [dxomark]

Goalach

Nov 11, 2016
Hello, everyone. I just noticed that wear os stopped working. The app does not start anymore. Reinstalling the app didn't help.

It's very annoying. Lost my vital data since the 8/12 update.
@infrag did you change something ?
Wear OS does not start and so no sync.
I had to reset the smartwatch and tested without any issued on another phone (LOS18.1).

Solved. I had to download googel play services from apkmirror and install.
I don't know why ?????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210820-155242_Wear_OS_by_Google.png
    Screenshot_20210820-155242_Wear_OS_by_Google.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

s7eVe90

Aug 18, 2018
Hello, I have noticed an irritating problem that I still haven't found a solution yet. Since several months my dipper is always with the latest version of lineageos. But when I'm using the facebook messenger app with bubbles and when I receive a message, I open the bubble read the message, the notification in the notification bar is going away, BUT the notification number on the app is still there. So somehow the notification is not fully dismissed, because when I connect my phone with windows app ("Your phone") to the PC it is showing the notifications from messenger but I don't see a notification on the phone itself. If I open the message within the app the notification goes away, and also If I have other notifications in the bar and I hit "clear all" the not showing messenger notifications are also being dismissed....Can someone suggest something about that? Thank you in advance!

roperp

Apr 3, 2012
The rear-facing camera module features twin 12Mp cameras, one a wide-angle with a 1/2.55-inch size sensor, 1.4µm pixels, and an f/1.8-aperture lens, and the other a short telephoto with a slightly slower f/2.4 aperture. Other features include phase detection autofocus, 4-axis optical image stabilization (OIS) on the wide-angle module, and an LED flash. [dxomark]
Thanks, Haxn! Any ideas if this edition of LineageOS utilizes these hardware features?

haxnhaxn

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks, Haxn! Any ideas if this edition of LineageOS utilizes these hardware features?
I use the same gcam as crisagatie: BSG 8.1.101_A9_GV1j_ENG.
As far as I know, camera hardware is fully supported. Tele camera is supported, but I never use it. Main camera is too good. OIS (optical image stabilization) does work, must be enabled in settings. However, EIS (electronic image stabilization) used for video recording is not as good as in the MIUI camera. But this is probably software and not hardware. Gcam ftw!

najabi

Jan 14, 2018
Bilbao
Can I disable or reduce the brightness of the white blinking led light of the phone when I'm under 15% battery? It's too bright compared to MIUI.
I have tried disabling led light notifications, to no avail.

Maybe other people have noticed before, i just can't search within this thread.
For the rest, very happy with my switch to LoS 18.1, rooted with Magisk, SafetyNet pass and everything fine, except the unnerving flashing power of white led ;-) Thanks infrag for all the continous support and development of this rom on dipper.

haxnhaxn

Dec 6, 2011
Can I disable or reduce the brightness of the white blinking led light of the phone when I'm under 15% battery? It's too bright compared to MIUI.

For the rest, very happy with my switch to LoS 18.1, rooted with Magisk, SafetyNet pass and everything fine, except the unnerving flashing power of white led ;-) Thanks infrag for all the continous support and development of this rom on dipper.
Yes, it is possible. Something like "Settings > Battery > Battery LED". Not exactly sure, because I dont use it in English.

Reactions: najabi

crisagatie

Dec 14, 2009
Bucharest

Search in settings for Notifications and then notification light.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-220511_LineageOS_Settings~2.png
    Screenshot_20210824-220511_LineageOS_Settings~2.png
    111 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: najabi

gregcrago

Jan 8, 2019
Getting Boot Loop with lineage-18.1-20210819-nightly-dipper-signed.zip and TWRP
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.2_9-0-dipper.img
Then Boot to LineageOS and with advanced Restart to Recovery I get bootloop.
To fix I have to FASTBOOT and flash lineage-18.1-20210819-recovery-dipper.img

s7eVe90

Aug 18, 2018
Hi people, do you have any problems with bubbles of facebook messenger and the notiications dismissal of those?

mkz14

Feb 17, 2011
Can you use "ok, google" functionality?

For me IT shows this device is not available for use it, however I can turn it on, but after a few seconds it comes back again to disabled, anyone knows? Did It ever worked?

haxnhaxn

Dec 6, 2011
Can you use "ok, google" functionality?

For me IT shows this device is not available for use it, however I can turn it on, but after a few seconds it comes back again to disabled, anyone knows? Did It ever worked?
Can't tell, because I don't use it. But please let us know, which gapps package you have installed.

mkz14

Feb 17, 2011
Can't tell, because I don't use it. But please let us know, which gapps package you have installed.
I have tested with nikgapps basic and omni, never worked. You can enable voice match but It will auto disable passed few seconds. Also shows the message I said "this device is not available for this servioce" (<- not literally, but something like this)

I guess LOS misses too much Google's frameworks, I'll gotta go back to PixelPlusUI or something like that. What a pity since LOS is fast as hell and non-bloated at all

haxnhaxn

Dec 6, 2011
I have tested with nikgapps basic and omni, never worked. You can enable voice match but It will auto disable passed few seconds. Also shows the message I said "this device is not available for this servioce" (<- not literally, but something like this)

I guess LOS misses too much Google's frameworks, I'll gotta go back to PixelPlusUI or something like that. What a pity since LOS is fast as hell and non-bloated at all
I tried to get it run, but I habe the same issue: At "voice match" it says the feature is not available for this device. I don't know.
---
Maybe you can try Nikgapps "full". There is google assistent already included. Maybe there are some missing pieces for this feature as well. Since you consider to switch to pixel rom, you probably don't mind the google bloat too much.

Last edited:

mkz14

Feb 17, 2011
I tried to get it run, but I habe the same issue: At "voice match" it says the feature is not available for this device. I don't know.
---
Maybe you can try Nikgapps "full". There is google assistent already included. Maybe there are some missing pieces for this feature as well. Since you consider to switch to pixel rom, you probably don't mind the google bloat too much.
Basic nikgapps works just fine for voice match in other roms, also tried omni just in case. However if Basic worked with other roms... There's no much room to discussion haha

I guess LOS is so "unbloated" that is missing a lot of frameworks to make it work. Hopefully someone can shed a light on this

Reactions: haxnhaxn

Goalach

Nov 11, 2016
Which package of opengapps did you installed?

I thought opengapps was over in Android 11.
I installed Nano.

Reactions: haxnhaxn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2Fy-LtXHGCDBH0KxFw9MxWAPF3guk%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252F2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:

Device tree source code: LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_dipper
    Kernel source code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_xiaomi_sdm845

Compatibility:
    Compatible with Xiaomi Mi 8
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 10 firmware.
    Downloads:
    Official download links: https://download.lineageos.org/dipper

Lineage 18.1 Kernels:
    15/06/2021

Lineage 18.1 Unofficial builds:

Build 15/06/2021

Recommended firmware is latest MIUI stable firmware.

Notice:
    No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 8)
    Format /system, /data and /cache
    Install MIUI firmware
    Install LineageOS zip package
    Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice

Important notes:
    * Required * firmware version must be based on MIUI *-based builds.
    Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.

All LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    so the newest build 04/11/2019 uses Xiaomi Q blobs.
    Therefore it has some bugs:
    I havent got bluetooth audio working yet. Bluetooth calls seem to work fine though.
    Sound: Speaker works if you make a phone call first and switch to speaker during the call. After that everything else starts working.
    Edit: fixed. - GPS all satellites should show up now.
    Android Auto fixes probably havent been added yet to lineage but when anything shows up I'll add it.

The reason this build took so long to be released is that Q radio blobs kept causing a reboot when data was used and switched to low power mode. I believe I have fixed this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bhurP2zIyZf93jJzSN1IBbiMBhmbSd_h

Edit: Uploaded the correct build now. Also added in gps fix
    Also fyi I'd hoped to have anther build up by now but since lineage has changed to 17.1 branches instead of 17.0 my build system is a bit of a mess. Waiting for all the repos to be updated to 17.1 before releasing anything. Hopefully it wont be too long...
    18/12/2019 finally a working q build with q blobs and working audio.
    havent tested it a lot so any bugs let me know. There will be a v2 of the audio fix/change. This fix was just to make it work. :)
    new build in OP.
    For android auto users unless I say otherwise I have not fixed your problem yet. :|