• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Android TV

Search This thread

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
I'm confused is this an Android TV build or just Android?
I remember seeing a lot of "atv" in the changelogs recently, is this android tv?

Reigningfear

Dec 11, 2012
Hello,

I flashed the foster_tab version of lineage from 11-10. It is mostly working great from what I have used it for thus far. 2 issues I've encountered which may be related are:
  • When using external storage and formatting it as internal storage, the Shield reboots and puts itself into a boot loop. This is fixed by simply removing the storage.
  • My internal storage is inaccessible. I am unable to download anything from web browsers and using multiple file explorers, I see nothing in internal storage.
I went as far back as 2018 in this thread and saw mention of my second bullet as a 'bug to be hunted down' but no mention since so I'm wondering if its just me? FWIW, I encountered the first bulleted issue on the ATV build dated 11-13.

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
Just flashed this with latest build and tvmini opengapps and everythings working, except bluetooth gamepad pairing.
The 8bitdo sn30 pro gamepad worked 100% with stock firmware with the controller in switch mode, but lineageos cannot even properly pair with bluetooth. during pairing, controller will just shut off.
Here is what it's doing
Android Mode on controller - Pairs, but pairing window does not go away and there is no input on shield
Switch Mode on controller - Does not pair 75% of time and shuts controller off during pairing screen, no input on shield
X-Input (Windows) Mode on controller - Pairs and works, but star button does not work and double press home button doesn't open recents. The star button worked as settings button

I ran a 3DMark (slingshot extreme), difference is negligible
Stock (With a ton of apps installed) = 3912
LineageOS Post Install = 4013

Interface is the newest google launcher type. I don't care either way about this. Nvidia went lazy route instead of updating entire ecosystem updated the launcher to fool public into thinking they're still maintaning this product. Since there's no competition, there's no motivation for them to really do anything.

If yall could get the same controller compatibility as the stock firmware that would be amazing. Thanks so much for all the work done on this, I've been waiting for years.

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
After a couple of days of using this on my 2019 pro here is what doesn't work

Menu button (hamburger icon) on any controller/gamepad
Recents (double click home button) on any controller/gamepad
AI Upscaling (this should not be expected anyways, it's proprietary nvidia code)

If I remember correctly, reading through the requirements to get a build marked as official something simple as the 3 primary buttons used to navigate working correctly is a primary consideration. I'm confused as to how this build was allowed in, this is clearly not usable in it's current form. No multitasking and no way to enter settings without exiting your current app makes this completely unusable. I thought at first it was because I was using my gamepad but even using the stock controller has the same problems. Other than the very debilitating input issues everything else seems to work flawlessly.

I would not recommend this to anyone until these input issues are addressed.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
After a couple of days of using this on my 2019 pro here is what doesn't work

Menu button (hamburger icon) on any controller/gamepad
Recents (double click home button) on any controller/gamepad
AI Upscaling (this should not be expected anyways, it's proprietary nvidia code)

If I remember correctly, reading through the requirements to get a build marked as official something simple as the 3 primary buttons used to navigate working correctly is a primary consideration. I'm confused as to how this build was allowed in, this is clearly not usable in it's current form. No multitasking and no way to enter settings without exiting your current app makes this completely unusable. I thought at first it was because I was using my gamepad but even using the stock controller has the same problems. Other than the very debilitating input issues everything else seems to work flawlessly.

I would not recommend this to anyone until these input issues are addressed.
Alright, allow me to respond:

Menu button - it's in progress, even just merged a KeyInterceptor for ATV devices recently.
Recents - Google has disabled and enabled this on ATV repeatedly over it's lifetime - in the case of Android 10, we haven't gone to the effort to re-enable it when, even the generic AOSP TV targets don't!
AI upscaling - proprietary as hell - if someone gets it working, I applaud them, truly.

Charter: - this meets charter in it's entirety. Not being able to overlay settings over the current app is not at all a "required feature" - you can still use all of settings, and multitasking on a TV device? idk, my Nexus Player builds haven't had that for... years, and no one has ever brought it up.

This meets charter, and it perfectly stable usable.

Now, do we plan to make the settings button work? Yes.

Will we probably enable recents once the UI works again? Probably.

Knuxyl

May 20, 2009
Google Pixel 5
Alright, allow me to respond:

Menu button - it's in progress, even just merged a KeyInterceptor for ATV devices recently.
Recents - Google has disabled and enabled this on ATV repeatedly over it's lifetime - in the case of Android 10, we haven't gone to the effort to re-enable it when, even the generic AOSP TV targets don't!
AI upscaling - proprietary as hell - if someone gets it working, I applaud them, truly.

Charter: - this meets charter in it's entirety. Not being able to overlay settings over the current app is not at all a "required feature" - you can still use all of settings, and multitasking on a TV device? idk, my Nexus Player builds haven't had that for... years, and no one has ever brought it up.

This meets charter, and it perfectly stable usable.

Now, do we plan to make the settings button work? Yes.

Will we probably enable recents once the UI works again? Probably.
thanks for the reply and thanks for the work yall have done.

the page i read said the build has to work like or better than stock, regardless of what other devices are doing, but i understand the issue with recents on android 10. i didn't know that. im just frustrated because i expected this to work better than stock because it's official but it is lacking in what i consider basic navigation that stock has, regardless of why. it's a hassle getting this thing out and flashing it and now i have to go back to stock.

nvidia has lazy developers, it's amazing someone not getting paid has had more development into their product more than they have. im excited to see these features implemented, or maybe updated to android 11 where recents has been reimplemented (if it has)?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
thanks for the reply and thanks for the work yall have done.

the page i read said the build has to work like or better than stock, regardless of what other devices are doing, but i understand the issue with recents on android 10. i didn't know that. im just frustrated because i expected this to work better than stock because it's official but it is lacking in what i consider basic navigation that stock has, regardless of why. it's a hassle getting this thing out and flashing it and now i have to go back to stock.

nvidia has lazy developers, it's amazing someone not getting paid has had more development into their product more than they have. im excited to see these features implemented, or maybe updated to android 11 where recents has been reimplemented (if it has)?
Charter doesn't really say any of that - it has specific requirements of support. Which we meet.

Android 11 has the same recents issue atm sadly. But we're working on it.

nprev420

Jan 7, 2013
Just flashed 12-01-21 build for mdarcy, (no GAPPS) first custom ROM on my shield. Am I blind, or are there no lineage custom ROM settings? Display settings? The display goes outside borders of the TV and I need to adjust it like "overscan" on the Nvidia rom. Also no IR setup either?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Got lineage running on my 2017 foster. The only issue I am having is that Bluetooth stops working after a restart. Just curious if this issue has been fixed. Keep up the good work!
That's news to me. The remotes can sometimes take a while to reconnect, but I've had the exact same reconnect lag on stock, so I don't consider that a regression. Might even be the remote itself. Is that the issue or something else?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
No. The issue is that Bluetooth doesn't ever pair again after a restart. I've tried reinstalling several times, but still having the same issue
When you say 'pair', you mean the remote paired during first boot doesn't reconnect after a reboot? Or new accessories can't be paired? Or both.
I've not seen this issue fwiw, nor have I heard such reports from testers, so I need as much information as possible.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Can you get logs when this issue is happening? Go to pairing with a wired controller, try to pair something, back out of pairing, then get logcat and dmesg.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
This is really weird. It's trying to open contacts, which of course doesn't exist on atv. But that's crashing bluetooth.

12-05 19:01:35.342 23395 23395 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start service [email protected] with Intent { cmp=com.android.bluetooth/.pbap.BluetoothPbapService (has extras) }: java.lang.SecurityException: Failed to find provider com.android.contacts for user 0; expected to find a valid ContentProvider for this authority
12-05 19:01:35.342 23395 23395 E AndroidRuntime: Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: Failed to find provider com.android.contacts for user 0; expected to find a valid ContentProvider for this authority

What are you pairing on first boot? Anything more than the remote that was bundled with the device?

Top Liked Posts

@mrhamed Unfortunately I can't say much about your first two points, because I connect my Shield via dhcp and that works wonderfully.
    Steel01 has already commented on the green light issue (post #600).
    Oi, stop reading too much into things. The kill 17.1 commit is queued yes, but it's not going in until 19.0 ships. Which is still a few weeks out.

There's currently no plans to ship 18.1 for foster. The plan is to do basic bringup on the new Android 11 stuff from Nvidia for 18.1, then push directly to 19.x and ship that. So there probably will be a break in builds until I finish getting the new stuff in order (nvidia hasn't even released source for stock 9.0 yet), but I hope it won't be too long.
    Yesterday I'm spend few hours to install LOS. A little lose of time to find the way to start in bootloader with my Foster 2015, the wiki don't cover all devices. And my USB hub with keyboard was blocking.
    But the system works well, everything is quicker. And no more GApps :cool:

ADB sideloading work for me, just need a reboot after activation in Developers Options to allow my computer. Don't remember if it's working in LOS recovery.
    My only problem is my physical keyboard, he's in qwerty layout and i don't find how changing layout in azerty. Escape don't work, instead I've been using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, not very usable :cautious:

But a huge thank to the team and specially at Steel01 who's taking time to talk here (y)
    I did notice that I was unable to navigate the power menu on pro 2019. Is that a known issue?
    Yeah, the power menu on <=Q is just the tablet/mobile power menu, which only works with touch. On R+, google pushed an atv power menu that works with a controller. So once nvidia finally decides to release their Android 11 update and I finish pulling in all the updates, I'll be release either R or S, which will have an operable pop-up power menu.

In the meantime, look in settings->device->about for reboot and shutdown. Don't ask me why google put reboot there, but they did. On R+, it's moved up a layer to the device settings list.
    I tried but SVPlayer need Google Play Services. Sorry
    Yes it's working with this version ...

"Unfortunately this device doesn't provide OpenCL support and we really need it for the frame interpolation magic."
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Instructions :
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed or Magisk
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for the Shield Android TV, ROM for the nVidia Shield Android TV

Contributors
    Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_nvidia_foster

ROM OS Version: 10.0 Q
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.9.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 17.1

Created 2017-07-06
    Last Updated 2021-10-15
    So, working on pulling in the updates from the stock oreo release. Finally getting a few things to work that either haven't for a while or never did in the first place.

1. Geforce Now is working again, like the login screen actually displays something again. (and on a side note, I'm liking some things I'm seeing) Right now, I'm having to hack a piece of it due to the shield hub app not fully supporting Android 8.1. I've contacted Nvidia and am hopeful they will release proper support in the Hub app so I won't have to actually push said hack official.
    2. Did someone say 4K? Second only to support for the original wireless controllers, this has bugged me for a while. Well, this wait is finally over. With the blobs from Oreo, 4k finally 'just works'. No weird broken stuff anymore. Now, switching between a 1080p and 4k display without wiping seems to do odd scaling atm, but at least it's not completely broken like previous releases were.
    3. So, this isn't complete yet, not by a long shot. And who know if once I do get it working whether it'll be suitable for official builds. But that thing I mentioned last point? Support for the wifi-direct controllers? Yeah, Nvidia actually released some of the major pieces that were missing for that. I'm fairly close to making it work, but haven't quite got all the pieces together yet. Once I get all the rest of the stuff stable and pushed up for official builds, I'm going to dive back into this and hopefully *finally* crack this nut.

So yeah, I'm working on cleaning this all up and doing stability tests. I'm hoping to finish clean up this weekend and spend the next week sanity testing with intentions to release for builds a week from Monday. 'Course, life (tm) can always happen, but things are looking fairly up for this device. Look forward to further updates.
    Been a while since I posted here, so small info dump update.

Nvidia has officially released Pie as Shield Experience 8.0.0. The recovery images are available, but no source yet. I've done some analysis of the recovery images and things look fairly positive. The new graphics stack is in better shape than the one from 7.2.x, though I still haven't got it to boot to launcher yet. Once the source release is out, I'll be able to finish importing everything and hopefully a lot of the stuff I've worked on over the last year will 'just work'. But I have no indication of how long it's going to take to get said source release.
    So, Stock Oreo is getting a staggered rollout. Once I get my hands on a copy (haven't been able to get an ota link yet and recovery images and aosp code isn't out yet), I'll start work on it. Initial report is that twrp doesn't boot on the new bootloader, so this is gonna be a fun transition. Queue the troubles with shieldtablet M all over again. ><
    Things are rolling for P, on all variants still. Not ready for release yet, but progress goes on. Got to hunt down some rather important bugs. Like retroarch (and presumably everything else) not being able to access /storage/emulated/0, aka anything useful. And Talos Principle crashing on start. Etc, etc. But feature wise, everything is on par with O afaict.