[ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Android TV

Search This thread

YobDest

Jun 3, 2022
To clarify, I was trying to use the software volume control, not HDMI CEC volume control. I don't know where my TV remote is.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
@YobDest
re DocsUI: Try the following addon zip. The concept is still in testing, but it worked in my preliminary tests. What I don't know is if it'll work without wiping data.

Note to anyone else finding this link: This is specifically for Lineage 18.1 official builds. The apk is platform signed, so it won't work on unofficial builds or any other rom.

Last edited:
@YobDest
re DocsUI: Try the following addon zip. The concept is still in testing, but it worked in my preliminary tests. What I don't know is if it'll work without wiping data.

Note to anyone else finding this link: This is specifically for Lineage 18.1 official builds. The apk is platform signed, so it won't work on unofficial builds or any other rom.
Thanks a lot @Steel01! Installed the addon zip and it works. I can now select a location for the games in Dolphin Emulator for example.

Reactions: YobDest

YobDest

Jun 3, 2022
@YobDest

Thank you! It works great. I see it definitely doesn't work with a controller or remote, but I have an air mouse so it works fantastic for me. Thank you for the speedy workaround, I really appreciate all the work you have put into this rom. If there's any information I can give you to make your life easier, let me know.

EDIT: OK system went haywire shortly after install, not sure exact cause. Seemed like the home app was just constantly crashing, re-crashing, over and over again. I formatted all images, re-installed the image, and re-installed the addon and it seems to be working again. No clue what caused it, could potentially be totally unrelated to the addon. Others would need to confirm.

Last edited:

joed1ver

Nov 2, 2011
Hello,

Lineage 18.1 is working great on my Shield_2017 except for one odd issue. I have installed it on more than one device, but they both end up with the same Wifi mac (00:90:4C:16:70:01) and the same Device mac (00:90:4C:11:22:33), neither or which are the original values. The ethernet mac and bluetooth mac retain their original values. I've re-flashed them both several times with the same results.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Blast, I fixed that once already. >< I'll try to have that re-fixed before the weekly build rolls next week.

Sp4rkR4t

Nov 6, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Flashed this on an old SHIELD TV I found in the attic, checked it over beforehand and all was working fine but after I installed lineage a hardwired controller works but when I go to pair in bluetooth settings the controller is listed but nothing happens, if I plug it back in the pairing light goes off and I'm back to just hard wired. It's a darcy emmc box.

Anyone got any ideas?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Which controller? Thunderstrike, the shield bluetooth game controller, should allow you to put it into pairing mode while plugged in. Unfortunately, my thunderstrike has a completely dead battery, so I can only use it while plugged in. Makes it difficult to test all that. Though, ideally you'd have an already working remote or controller to control the interface while pairing a different wireless controller.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
The mac address issue has been fixed, will be correct in the next official build.

Something to note: The wifi mac address displayed in settings->device->about->status is incorrect. This has been a problem since 17.1, if not earlier. It affects all Lineage devices, not only shield. Which is unfortunate, because when a real problem like was just reported shows up, you can't use tvsettings to verify. Running ifconfig via adb will show the mac address in use, fwiw. But that's not as easy to check.

xdaborderpatrol

Jun 12, 2022
Hi @Steel01 Thanks for all your hard work on this, I'm glad the Shield is still receiving LineageOS updates thanks to your efforts.

I've recently upgraded to the latest nightly on mdarcy and have been getting a few different issues out of which two I'd consider major:

1. Unable to wake from sleep. My Shield remote and my Harmony Remote are both unable to get the Shield up. Once it's sleeping for a while the only way to use it again is to unplug and reinsert the power cable. On the official remote, the lights on the remote don't even light up whilst the Shield is sleeping
  2. Video playback - I've not had these issues before on Lineage 17 with extensive use so presumably it's ROM related but correct me if I'm wrong:
    1. on NewPipe, on some videos if I try to go fullscreen the app just goes blackscreen for a bit and then I have to press BACK to go back to the small screen view
    2. on Kodi playback the sound often goes out of sync or stops playing, though the video carries on
For now I'm reverting back to 17 but just thought to make you aware.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
@xdaborderpatrol
What is your mdarcy connected to? I have mine in a cec setup and have never seen sleep of death. Friday (the triangular remote that comes with mdarcy and sif) wakes stuff right up. No lights on that remote does indicate that bluetooth has disconnected, which certainly is bad. I've had other instability that I've yet to pin down (one of which might actually be a kodi bug), but this one is new.

I've never used newpipe, but that is one I can test. I've got smarttubenext installed and it works well.

I use kodi extensively and haven't had any desync. I'm using 19.4 with passthrough audio and framerate matching enabled. Do you have any special settings set? And is this with any and all content or something specific? If the latter, is there a video easily accessible online that I could pull to test with?

xdaborderpatrol

Jun 12, 2022
@xdaborderpatrol
What is your mdarcy connected to? I have mine in a cec setup and have never seen sleep of death. Friday (the triangular remote that comes with mdarcy and sif) wakes stuff right up. No lights on that remote does indicate that bluetooth has disconnected, which certainly is bad. I've had other instability that I've yet to pin down (one of which might actually be a kodi bug), but this one is new.

I've never used newpipe, but that is one I can test. I've got smarttubenext installed and it works well.

I use kodi extensively and haven't had any desync. I'm using 19.4 with passthrough audio and framerate matching enabled. Do you have any special settings set? And is this with any and all content or something specific? If the latter, is there a video easily accessible online that I could pull to test with?
I've got everything connected to an AV Receiver - I've tried CEC enabled and disabled but no difference. I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control the Shield which is just treated as a bluetooth controller, but I keep the Shield remote handy as a backup. The Shield doesn't respond to either remote after a long sleep.

Don't worry about NewPipe, I've just had a look at SmartTubeNext and seems to be a better alternative that I wasn't aware of and I plan to switch to it.

On Kodi, I played with passthrough enabled and disabled, but the desync occured on both with no pattern that I could spot. The issue was obvious as I've never had anything like it in years on using the same setup. There wasn't anything special about the videos and I wouldn't be allowed to link to any of them on here.

I wouldn't want to send you on a wild goose chase. If you've any ideas or if there's any checks I can run, let me know but it might not be immediate as I'll have to upgrade and set it all up again. Maybe see if anyone reports something similar? For now I'm on 17.1.

I appreciate your efforts and trying to help out. It's great to see people still contributing to the ROM community.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
The sleep of death does worry me. I'd love to get a log out of that, like a "dmesg -w" running on adb as it dies. Would be good to know if the device outright died or if bt just disconnected. That would be easy to check with a wired controller or keyboard. To my knowledge, no one else has seen this, but history does say that most people don't report problems.

The kodi thing is weird too. I don't even know if there would be any viable logs for the issue. And the problem with development like this is that if I can't reproduce a problem, it's nigh impossible for me to try to fix it. Logs are a poor substitute, but it at least gives some insight.

So yeah, if you've got time later to do some more testing, I'd like to see some logs. Also, if anyone else sees issues like this, please report it. I've got my one cec dd setup and my test bench (monitor with a pile of devices on a switcher), that's unfortunately a very small test coverage.

Lineage 18.1 Tab version, crashes when using YouTube, it seems to be something related with the video and audio driver, because I can hear a loud clicking noise when the crash happens.

There is also a permanent warning in the notifications about the serial console being activated.

Video

Thanks for all the work that makes it possible for us to use this version in the Shield

Attachments

• log.zip
    66 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Today's version of Lineage Tab already lets YouTube videos play a few times but still keeps cracking other times, there is no slider to show the volume level, there is still some slowness in the system but you only notice it a few times, is on track to be a functional tab version for the first time in recent years, version 17.1 worked fine but had the problem of washed out colors that the option Disable HW overlays off did not solve.
Does anyone know how to configure static IP on network cable connection?

log:

Attachments

• 2022-06-22-14-31-03.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 3

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
@zecabra : I'll re-iterate context first. I don't put a lot of work into the mobile builds for the satv, since it isn't something I'd ever use myself. About all I guarantee is that it boots and doesn't fry hardware. And that it passes all the Lineage charter requirements. If someone with more interest in the target wanted to do more thorough testing and submit fixes, the help would be welcome.

That said, I did do some poking around these reports.
1) Youtube 'crash'
I did reproduce what I think is your issue. It's not actually a crash, what's happening is the display is going to sleep and waking back up. I have no idea why, though.

2) Volume control popup
This is a known issue that affects the atv builds as well. HDMI CEC support detection is broken on 18.1. So when cec support is built in (which I do for both atv and mobile targets), the os always thinks cec is available. Hence, no volume popup. Additionally, there's no toggle for cec on mobile, so you can't turn it off except through adb. The following will tell the volume popup to show up then disable cec altogether.

Code:
settings put global hdmi_control_volume_control_enabled 0
settings put global hdmi_control_enabled 0

3) System lag
Is that intermittent or is it only on first boot or right after an update? Sometimes the app optimization that happens in the background can cause lag. That happened even on stock (it's really bad on the 500 gb model). But if it's not tied to app optimization, I dunno.

4) Ethernet static ip
That doesn't seem to be supported by aosp, not in the mobile ui. Could probably hack something up via adb, but that's beyond this threads support scope.

5) Serial console notification
Yeah, something needs done about that. It's telling the truth, but uart is supposed to be enabled on these targets. We'll do some research to see if it can be disabled.

@zecabra : I'll re-iterate context first. I don't put a lot of work into the mobile builds for the satv, since it isn't something I'd ever use myself. About all I guarantee is that it boots and doesn't fry hardware. And that it passes all the Lineage charter requirements. If someone with more interest in the target wanted to do more thorough testing and submit fixes, the help would be welcome.
@Steel01 I'm available to help, just tell me what I have to do, is it enough to test the rom and share logs and problems, or is something else more needed?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Instructions :
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed or Magisk
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for the Shield Android TV, ROM for the nVidia Shield Android TV

Contributors
    Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_nvidia_foster

ROM OS Version: 10.0 Q
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.9.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 17.1

Created 2017-07-06
    Last Updated 2021-10-15
    So, working on pulling in the updates from the stock oreo release. Finally getting a few things to work that either haven't for a while or never did in the first place.

1. Geforce Now is working again, like the login screen actually displays something again. (and on a side note, I'm liking some things I'm seeing) Right now, I'm having to hack a piece of it due to the shield hub app not fully supporting Android 8.1. I've contacted Nvidia and am hopeful they will release proper support in the Hub app so I won't have to actually push said hack official.
    2. Did someone say 4K? Second only to support for the original wireless controllers, this has bugged me for a while. Well, this wait is finally over. With the blobs from Oreo, 4k finally 'just works'. No weird broken stuff anymore. Now, switching between a 1080p and 4k display without wiping seems to do odd scaling atm, but at least it's not completely broken like previous releases were.
    3. So, this isn't complete yet, not by a long shot. And who know if once I do get it working whether it'll be suitable for official builds. But that thing I mentioned last point? Support for the wifi-direct controllers? Yeah, Nvidia actually released some of the major pieces that were missing for that. I'm fairly close to making it work, but haven't quite got all the pieces together yet. Once I get all the rest of the stuff stable and pushed up for official builds, I'm going to dive back into this and hopefully *finally* crack this nut.

So yeah, I'm working on cleaning this all up and doing stability tests. I'm hoping to finish clean up this weekend and spend the next week sanity testing with intentions to release for builds a week from Monday. 'Course, life (tm) can always happen, but things are looking fairly up for this device. Look forward to further updates.
    Work has started on foster/mdarcy 18.1. It's running fairly well. Waiting on the next Linux4Tegra major release to hopefully give usable git history for pieces of the kernel. That should be out later this month. Sepolicy also needs some *major* work, I'm starting that today. Once 18.1 is in good shape, the plan is still to shift to working on 19.0, polish it up, and ship that. It's not going to ship in the next couple weeks, but I sincerely hope that it won't take more than two months. But as always, #stuffcanhappen.

TL;DR: work is still ongoing.
    Been a while since I posted here, so small info dump update.

Nvidia has officially released Pie as Shield Experience 8.0.0. The recovery images are available, but no source yet. I've done some analysis of the recovery images and things look fairly positive. The new graphics stack is in better shape than the one from 7.2.x, though I still haven't got it to boot to launcher yet. Once the source release is out, I'll be able to finish importing everything and hopefully a lot of the stuff I've worked on over the last year will 'just work'. But I have no indication of how long it's going to take to get said source release.
    So, Stock Oreo is getting a staggered rollout. Once I get my hands on a copy (haven't been able to get an ota link yet and recovery images and aosp code isn't out yet), I'll start work on it. Initial report is that twrp doesn't boot on the new bootloader, so this is gonna be a fun transition. Queue the troubles with shieldtablet M all over again. ><