[ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Android TV

Search This thread
First, thanks for maintaining this ROM, awesome work!
I have an issue where Android cannot mount my external SSD, be it in ext4, exFAT or NTFS, the device in the "storage" settings stays on "disk is safely ejected".
If I format the drive via the Android TV itself, it'll force FAT32, which is not viable for my use (4Gb limit and all).
After checking out the logcat, it seems ext4 isn't supported/enabled on the device, isn't it built into the LOS kernel?

Logcat available below;
Ext4 support will be included in next build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nielzsen

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Wow, someone has eagle eyes. That was just merged yesterday. Yeah, ext4 and ntfs will be available on the next build.

Reactions: Nielzsen

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
I have a 2017 shield with unlocked bootloader. Have been running an older lineage 17.1 version on it previously.

Now looking to apply one of the new 18.1 builds but get stuck on nividia logga when trying to boot in to recovery.

Have tried flashing all 4 latest nightlies of the recovery.img found on the lineage download site.
fastboot flash command shows successful on pc within 2 secs and shield says "please wait" in red for 2 secs and then gone..

Im unsure whats wrong... thanks for help!

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
@cHECKjAM It seems the wiki upgrade page is incorrect in this case. You need to use the 17.1 recovery to flash the 18.1 zip, which will upgrade the bootloader. After that, you need to flash the updated recovery.

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
@cHECKjAM It seems the wiki upgrade page is incorrect in this case. You need to use the 17.1 recovery to flash the 18.1 zip, which will upgrade the bootloader. After that, you need to flash the updated recovery.

Thank you. This worked and I was able to flash the new recovery. However when booting it starts with the lineage regular boot, the three dots finally coming together.
When it starts to search for bluetooth accessories for like 3 minutes. After that it moves to the lineage boot screen and then just gets stuck there.

I try to go back to recovery, factory reset and format data and cache, and then when I try to adb sideload the lineage nightly it gives me errors "failed to read 16777216 bytes data at offset xxxx: I/O error
then says "signature verification failed, install anyway?

when hitting yes it fails with "failed to find updare binary META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary

I tried nightly from 20220616 and 20220623 , same issue..

Thanks

jmikepr

Aug 15, 2019
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hey guys I have a few questions that I don't want to skim hours through 36 pages here and xda has a poor search function. There's also nothing on youtube in terms of walk through.

I'm thinking about picking up a 2019 shield and running this

1. How stable is it? General experience?

2. Without flashing Gapps how poor is the experience? I'd imagine you have to sideload most apps, but do apps like Netflix work with full support?

3. With G Apps flashed, does the Google TV remote work? What default launcher do you get? Do you get the one with the awful for you ads?

4..Full dolby vision, dolby atmos, 4k? etc support either way (gapps or no gapps?)

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
@cHECKjAM
There's a few things confusing about that experience. An upgrade shouldn't run the first boot wizard, thus the pairing page shouldn't show up. Since it did on yours... yeah, I don't know what to say.

But the really worrying part is that I/O error. That's indicative of hardware problems. Do you have another usb cable you can try? If it's not an issue with the cable, then it could be issue with the emmc. I sincerely hope not.

Though, if you've already got 18.1 installed, you shouldn't need to manually flash another. I hesitate to suggest it, but you may need to do a data wipe and see if that boots as expected. But then you'd have to re-install everything which can be a pain.

@jmikepr
1) This is more of a user review question than one me the dev can answer. I use the official builds on my main setup, though.

2) I use gapps on my setup, so I again can't really answer this. There was a user a page or two back that said netflix worked without gapps, though. In general, it should work just a well with or without gapps, just missing the store for the latter.

3) This depends on the gapps package being installed. MTG is recommended by Lineage for 18.1. I've not tested the phone remote app. It *should* work, MTG installs the receiver app.
In regards to launcher, MTG does not replace the launcher. And Lineage ships a no-gms launcher that has the ui style from before google force-fed ads. So yes, no ads here.

4) Passthrough audio works, I use atmos on my setup regularly. Dolby vision does not work, Nvidia put this behind encryption and a locked bootloader check (probably forced to do so by Dolby).
4k in general works. The launcher and java apps are forced to 1920x1080 as required by Google. But media and native rendering will play at native resolution, up to 4k. The one exception is Netflix: 4k netflix causes horribly artifacts. So I had to disable that outright, making netflix fall back to 1080 so all content is accessible.

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
@cHECKjAM
There's a few things confusing about that experience. An upgrade shouldn't run the first boot wizard, thus the pairing page shouldn't show up. Since it did on yours... yeah, I don't know what to say.

But the really worrying part is that I/O error. That's indicative of hardware problems. Do you have another usb cable you can try? If it's not an issue with the cable, then it could be issue with the emmc. I sincerely hope not.

Though, if you've already got 18.1 installed, you shouldn't need to manually flash another. I hesitate to suggest it, but you may need to do a data wipe and see if that boots as expected. But then you'd have to re-install everything which can be a pain.
Hey. I know the cable works as I have used it multiple times on my 4 other shields (yes 4..)
I wonder what can be wrong.. I cant seem to be able to do any adb push to exclude the installation through the cable though. I dont have permission to adb push to any location on the shield I guess?

How can I do a total data wipe.. I dont have any specific software stuff I care about.. I guess if I do full wipe I need only to reinstall recovery and then go again and flash rom?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
How can I do a total data wipe.. I dont have any specific software stuff I care about.. I guess if I do full wipe I need only to reinstall recovery and then go again and flash rom?
In recovery, there's an menu entry for factory reset. In there, tell it to wipe data. I hope that's enough to get it booting again. It won't wipe the os, it should just boot to a clean install.

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
@cHECKjAM

Damn man...
I just cant get passed that I/O error.. Even when going back to TWRP and trying to flash the original ROM's.

So this means probably that device is D.E.A.D ... ? Just throw it in the trashbin?

W1nstone

Jul 21, 2022
Hi All,

I have a Nvidia Shield Tube... it runs a 64bit processor but the Nvidia Shield OS is running in 32bit mode, i really wanted to get Zswft running on it. Can this lineagos be installed on this device in 64bit mode so i can sideload zwift? or does anyone know if there is a shield ROM that will make the tube use its 64bit cpu rather than being stuck in 32bit mode?

Thanks in advance!

Adromir

Hi All,

I have a Nvidia Shield Tube... it runs a 64bit processor but the Nvidia Shield OS is running in 32bit mode, i really wanted to get Zswft running on it. Can this lineagos be installed on this device in 64bit mode so i can sideload zwift? or does anyone know if there is a shield ROM that will make the tube use its 64bit cpu rather than being stuck in 32bit mode?

Thanks in advance!
Doesn't the tube lack of a USB port? How would you install a rom to it?

W1nstone

Jul 21, 2022
Doesn't the tube lack of a USB port? How would you install a rom to it?
I am not an expert, but i would of thought you could use the network ADB connection and either the internal or SD card storage?

I guess if the bootloader can be controlled via the remote or a bluetooth device you could install a ROM. But if we need to put a custom boot loader on, can this be flashed across the ADB network interface then rebooted into?

When flashing andriod phones i have never needed a USB connection, but with andriod TV/this device i have no idea :( just a massive shame it is 64bit capable and needed to run Zwift/dolphine, but the OS is stuck in 32bit mode QQ

Adromir

What miraculous Phones did you used? Pretty Much every new phone needs at least fastboot to unlock the bootloader and at this stage there is no Bluetooth/ network connection at all. Even the stock rooms need fastboot access to reflash them. So my answer to your question is a solid no. If it was possible, I'd think there would be any Roms or Kernels available by now

W1nstone

Jul 21, 2022
They were certainly not "new" when i was messing with it, was mostly oneplus's

Thanks for taking the time to answer, i guess ill have to find another device, shame as the hardware was good on the shield tube, scummy they put a 32bit OS on it!

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
So... Yes, Lineage 18.1 foster releases do support sif, the 2019 shield, the tube one. However, as has been mentioned, you need a usb port. Not to unlock, that can be done from the fastboot ui, but to flash recovery. There is a pad on the circuit board for usb, you have to solder a usb header to that to install.

But in general, it's better to get the 2019 'pro' model if you can afford one. The usb ports and larger emmc (more like less small, 16GB still isn't large) are worth the extra $50.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
so this aint good for plex, netflix, prime streaming 4k hdr with truehd sourround sound 5.1 and 7.1?
When has anyone said that? Passthrough audio works fine, I use that personally on a 5.1.2 atmos setup. Netflix works, I've had reports that Prime works (don't have that personally). 4k in kodi, youtube, etc works. I haven't tested plex, but I'm sure I'd have heard by now if 4k doesn't work there.

The one known issue is: Netflix 4k does not work. If I enable 4k in netflix, all 4k content is horribly artifacted and broken. Have not been able to solve the underlying issue. So the compromise I had to choose was disabling 4k in netflix, making it fall back to 1080. Afaik, this does not affect any other media service.

Hitti2

in
When has anyone said that? Passthrough audio works fine, I use that personally on a 5.1.2 atmos setup. Netflix works, I've had reports that Prime works (don't have that personally). 4k in kodi, youtube, etc works. I haven't tested plex, but I'm sure I'd have heard by now if 4k doesn't work there.

The one known issue is: Netflix 4k does not work. If I enable 4k in netflix, all 4k content is horribly artifacted and broken. Have not been able to solve the underlying issue. So the compromise I had to choose was disabling 4k in netflix, making it fall back to 1080. Afaik, this does not affect any other media service.
well, few bugs in plex app atm with nvidia shield 8.2.3. tried spread apart versions of plex app, ima jump on the gravy train with the guide here at shield forum. see if these oroblems go away 🙏

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Instructions :
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed or Magisk
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for the Shield Android TV, ROM for the nVidia Shield Android TV

Contributors
    Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_nvidia_foster

ROM OS Version: 10.0 Q
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.9.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 17.1

Created 2017-07-06
    Last Updated 2021-10-15
    So, working on pulling in the updates from the stock oreo release. Finally getting a few things to work that either haven't for a while or never did in the first place.

1. Geforce Now is working again, like the login screen actually displays something again. (and on a side note, I'm liking some things I'm seeing) Right now, I'm having to hack a piece of it due to the shield hub app not fully supporting Android 8.1. I've contacted Nvidia and am hopeful they will release proper support in the Hub app so I won't have to actually push said hack official.
    2. Did someone say 4K? Second only to support for the original wireless controllers, this has bugged me for a while. Well, this wait is finally over. With the blobs from Oreo, 4k finally 'just works'. No weird broken stuff anymore. Now, switching between a 1080p and 4k display without wiping seems to do odd scaling atm, but at least it's not completely broken like previous releases were.
    3. So, this isn't complete yet, not by a long shot. And who know if once I do get it working whether it'll be suitable for official builds. But that thing I mentioned last point? Support for the wifi-direct controllers? Yeah, Nvidia actually released some of the major pieces that were missing for that. I'm fairly close to making it work, but haven't quite got all the pieces together yet. Once I get all the rest of the stuff stable and pushed up for official builds, I'm going to dive back into this and hopefully *finally* crack this nut.

So yeah, I'm working on cleaning this all up and doing stability tests. I'm hoping to finish clean up this weekend and spend the next week sanity testing with intentions to release for builds a week from Monday. 'Course, life (tm) can always happen, but things are looking fairly up for this device. Look forward to further updates.
    Work has started on foster/mdarcy 18.1. It's running fairly well. Waiting on the next Linux4Tegra major release to hopefully give usable git history for pieces of the kernel. That should be out later this month. Sepolicy also needs some *major* work, I'm starting that today. Once 18.1 is in good shape, the plan is still to shift to working on 19.0, polish it up, and ship that. It's not going to ship in the next couple weeks, but I sincerely hope that it won't take more than two months. But as always, #stuffcanhappen.

TL;DR: work is still ongoing.
    Been a while since I posted here, so small info dump update.

Nvidia has officially released Pie as Shield Experience 8.0.0. The recovery images are available, but no source yet. I've done some analysis of the recovery images and things look fairly positive. The new graphics stack is in better shape than the one from 7.2.x, though I still haven't got it to boot to launcher yet. Once the source release is out, I'll be able to finish importing everything and hopefully a lot of the stuff I've worked on over the last year will 'just work'. But I have no indication of how long it's going to take to get said source release.
    So, Stock Oreo is getting a staggered rollout. Once I get my hands on a copy (haven't been able to get an ota link yet and recovery images and aosp code isn't out yet), I'll start work on it. Initial report is that twrp doesn't boot on the new bootloader, so this is gonna be a fun transition. Queue the troubles with shieldtablet M all over again. ><