[ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Android TV

Search This thread

FigliDiGP

Apr 10, 2020
It's right. Images was retired obviously. Maybe 19.0 is on our way :)
If you find files in another source, i can provide checksums.

FigliDiGP

Apr 10, 2020
Is someone find the way to have the game controller working wireless ? I can only use it with the wire.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Foster_tab is the tablet/mobile build, fwiw. Probably not what you want.

In other news, as of today, Lineage 18.1 releases are available. Of note, mdarcy builds have been merged with foster. Unfortunately that means upgrading from 17.1 to 18.1 on mdarcy will require wiping data. Upgrading from 17.1 to 18.1 on any other device can do an inline update.

Edit:
I should also mention that if you use the MTG option for gapps, it will not install the google ad launcher. So the play store and apps that require play services will be usable without ads being plastered all over the launcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: YobDest

Danjel4u

Feb 27, 2012
Good morning,
great praise to LineageOS have it also on my phone drauf. When I saw that there is an update to 18.1 for the Shield, I have played it immediately. And tried through I use for my channel list the APP Tivimate. Unfortunately, this no longer works stable, as soon as I have a TV picture in the background and am in the menu to search for another channel, the picture flickers every 3-5 seconds. As if an AFR would run and constantly adjust. AFR in Tivimate is off and also none installed.
Previous version reloaded there is all good. Does anyone have the same problem?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
@Danjel4u I don't have any subscriptions to test tivimate with. I have extensively tested kodi and smarttubenext with afr, though. I use them daily on my main avr/tv setup. And afr is the explicit and only reason I'm shipping 18.1 instead of 19.1. Because afr on S causes kodi and smarttubenext to hang. Can't even force disable afr support from the system to at least keep the builds stable.

Two questions, I suppose:
1) Can you reproduce this with any free app and video sources?
The only paid video subscription I have currently is Netflix, and that's only because Netflix is rediculously stupid with their drm protections, so when it works, it's virtually guarenteed that everything else drm related works.
2) Has this been tested on stock SHIELD Experience 9.x.x?
If it doesn't work with stock, it's unlikely I'll be able to make it work on Lineage. If it does work, then... #magic. Finding what the magic is could be troublesome, though.

A log from right after the issue occurs would be helpful too. Not as helpful as me being able to reproduce it locally, but it still might show something useful.

Minth

May 11, 2016
First, thanks for maintaining this ROM, awesome work!
I have an issue where Android cannot mount my external SSD, be it in ext4, exFAT or NTFS, the device in the "storage" settings stays on "disk is safely ejected".
If I format the drive via the Android TV itself, it'll force FAT32, which is not viable for my use (4Gb limit and all).
After checking out the logcat, it seems ext4 isn't supported/enabled on the device, isn't it built into the LOS kernel?

Logcat available below;

YobDest

Jun 3, 2022
Hello, thank you a million times for officially supporting the Shield TV. It really sucked in that period after ads on my home screen. You're a hero to me always, and I shall offer hecatombs to Hephaestus in your honor.

That being said, I understand that DocumentsUI doesn't come with the new image. Is there a way that either this, or another file-picker of some sort, can be shoe-horned in? As it is right now, many apps crash because they can't find a file picker.

EDIT: After using the new Lineage build a bit more, I've found a few small bugs and quirks, I'll just report them here.

1: Volume controls don't work, either with the shield controller or with my usb air-mouse keyboard. I don't see any way to adjust volume in android itself

2: HDMI CEC support doesn't seem to be available, so you have to manually turn on and turn off the TV.

3: More of a low-priority feature request than a bug, but there isn't any way to adjust the DPI for the home screen/launcher.

Otherwise, I gotta say, I love that this is available. Netflix and Crunchyroll seem to work. I'm running without any GAPPS, so it's possible some of the functions that aren't there are in the GAPPS package. Very happy with it so far!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kladderadatsch

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Alright, let me answer these separately.

DocumentsUI:
This is being discussed again. It's an atv platform issue, not a shield specific issue. By default Android TV does not have a docui impl. Like the adt3 or dynalink box don't ship it. The only implementation available is the phone/tablet version which requires touch or a mouse to use. Which... is not ideal for a controller driven 10 ft interface. I really don't like shipping an app that would require a user to pull out a mouse or connect to scrcpy to use it. If it was able to be installed as an addon, maybe, because then it would be user choice. Ideally, someone would write in leanback ui support, but unfortunately I don't have that skill.

Volume Control:
This is probably related to a bug I haven't been able to track down. And no one else has cared to investigate it. If you're not connected to cec and cec volume is enabled, then volume will work, but the popup will not show. If you go to settings->device->input and disable cec volume, then the popup will show.

CEC Power Control:
It does work. Normally. When it wants to... >< This is another bug I haven't been able to track down yet. Sometimes on reboot, cec will get into a broken state. If you go to settings->device->input and toggle the main cec setting off and back on, then power control will start working again.

Launcher DPI:
I'm curious the use case here. Google mandates that the Android TV ui be rendered at 1920x1080@320 for every version up to R. And even on S where the cts requirement is gone, google still forces the resolution and dpi on the adt-3. This affects all the java based ui's, which includes the launcher. Any native rendering (like a video or say the retroarch or kodi ui) will use the native resolution, however. Changing the dpi of the java ui does... weird stuff. If it's scaled properly, for example 3840x2160@640 or 1280x720@213, stuff works as expected, but changing the dpi to a different scaling factor like 1920x1080@240 causes rendering issues. It seems that there is font scaling options in the os, they're just not available in tvsettings. Thanks, google.

YobDest

Jun 3, 2022
DocumentsUI:

Understandable. A way to install it as an addon would be nice, I've tried random APKs from phones I have lying around and they didn't seem to fix the issue. I use an air mouse with the shield so even if it isn't 100 percent user-friendly, that's ok for my use case because I'm likely only doing something small and quick. You're right, a leanback option would be nice.

CEC Power Control:

Oh, ok, yeah that did fix it. :p

Volume Control:

Hooray! This works for me. I'm okay with hdmi cec not working if I have volume controls. It'd be great to have both but volume control is much more important, thank you for this work around. Good luck chasing down the bug.

Launcher DPI:

The use case here is simply that my screen is 1920x1080 on a 42 inch screen that's kinda far away. I can still see well enough to find stuff and select it, but I would like the option to make it larger. This isn't a super big deal, just a "nice to have" feature.

Thanks for the response, this helps out a lot.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I should state that cec volume does work. My main daily driver setup is a mdarcy connected to a sony str-dn1080 connected to a samsung q90t. Having cec operational is very important for me. Changing volume using the shield remote does change volume on the avr. Pressing power on the remote turns off the avr and tv (and all back on).

Is cec volume not working on your setup? If so, did it work on stock? I know I've had some issues because the tv had cec input disabled by default. Also had settings on my avr cause headaches when it decided to change my speaker layout and kill stuff like truehd and atmos.

Reactions: PlutoDelic

YobDest

Jun 3, 2022
To clarify, I was trying to use the software volume control, not HDMI CEC volume control. I don't know where my TV remote is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some of my observations using Nova launcher and Trebuchet, SSH Server by Banana Studio does this,
    That screenshot looks like the app forces portrait orientation. A tv or monitor is landscape. So the mouse is probably still working properly, it's just rotated. Not sure that's really the fault of the os.

Like I've mentioned before, I put a bare minimum effort into the _tab variants. I only guarantee that they boot and don't damage the hardware. I'll try to fix any big issues that affect core hardware functionality. Beyond that, someone with more interest needs to submit fixes.

I finally got to take a look at this. And somehow, I completely missed porting the convertible port functionality from 18/19 to 20/21. That's my bad. I'll try to get this in asap.
    This has been fixed and will be available in the next foster build.

Another fix that will be in the next build relates to Netflix on the 2019 models. Somehow, I lost some security/drm functionality prior to 20's launch. The only functionality loss I observed was Netflix, other apps using widevine such as Youtube TV were still working. But there's a possibility this will fix other drm locked apps that I don't have access to and didn't know were broken on the 2019 models as well. This does not affect the 2015 and 2017 models, they were already working properly.
    Is it possible to have debugging usb port for general use?
    I finally got to take a look at this. And somehow, I completely missed porting the convertible port functionality from 18/19 to 20/21. That's my bad. I'll try to get this in asap.
    Ext4 casefolding support needs kernel support. The 4.9 kernel used by nvidia is getting pretty old at this point, and backporting that support would take some work.

Exfat is not currently supported on the shield lineage releases. There has been concerns regarding exfat licensing previously, since the way Lineage would need to implement exfat differs from how Nvidia does on stock. Those concerns aren't as prominent anymore, so exfat support is being explored.
    Clean install no root,

Some of my observations using Nova launcher and Trebuchet, SSH Server by Banana Studio does this,

When this happens, the mouse behaves weird, moving it up makes the cursor go down or something like that I cannot remember exactly. I made this picture using Gimp, to screenshot the actual image would be difficult.

The developer suggested I change smallest screen width in developer options, that works for me, its at 626.
    At the default setting 492, YouTube Music would not display the like / dislike buttons.
    This is what YouTube Music looks like at the default setting,

This is with the higher setting in display width.

This is what the recent apps look like with the higher setting

On '18 changing this setting didn't affect what Android looks like, the recents were all the same size, and you could scroll through them using the mouse wheel, which I thought was rather nice.

Overall I like Lineage 20, I am not sure if these changes are intentional or my fault, I have nothing to compare it against.
    Another fix that will be in the next build relates to Netflix on the 2019 models. Somehow, I lost some security/drm functionality prior to 20's launch. The only functionality loss I observed was Netflix, other apps using widevine such as Youtube TV were still working. But there's a possibility this will fix other drm locked apps that I don't have access to and didn't know were broken on the 2019 models as well. This does not affect the 2015 and 2017 models, they were already working properly.
    I can confirm that Netflix is working again on the 2019 model with the update to lineage-20.0-20240401-nightly-foster-signed.zip.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Instructions :
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed or Magisk
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Known Issues :

• Boot hangs for 30-45 seconds on all variants except the 2015 models due to a ssl verification check.
    • Aosp Bluetooth auto-pair fails. This includes first boot when gapps are not installed and when pressing the pairing button on the 2015 models or the 2019 non-pro model. In those cases, a wired controller or keyboard is required to pair a new bluetooth remote. If gapps are installed, auto-pair during the gapps setup wizard works as expected.
    • In some rare setups, wpa 2/3 mixed mode networks cannot be connected to by the gapps setup wizard. Most notably, this has been observed on openwrt routers. These networks can be connected to fine by the aosp wifi wizard. And skipping network connection is now possible in the recommended gapps package. Afterwards, tvsettings can be used to connect to the network.
    • Frame rate matching in kodi causes the app to hang more often than not. This issue is being looked into slowly by both the Lineage maintainer and some kodi devs, but no solution has been found yet. Other apps that support nvidia's frame rate matching work as expected, such as smarttubenext.

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for the Shield Android TV, ROM for the nVidia Shield Android TV

Contributors
    Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_nvidia_foster

ROM OS Version: 13.0 T
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.9.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 20.0

Created 2017-07-06
    Last Updated 2023-07-20
    So, working on pulling in the updates from the stock oreo release. Finally getting a few things to work that either haven't for a while or never did in the first place.

1. Geforce Now is working again, like the login screen actually displays something again. (and on a side note, I'm liking some things I'm seeing) Right now, I'm having to hack a piece of it due to the shield hub app not fully supporting Android 8.1. I've contacted Nvidia and am hopeful they will release proper support in the Hub app so I won't have to actually push said hack official.
    2. Did someone say 4K? Second only to support for the original wireless controllers, this has bugged me for a while. Well, this wait is finally over. With the blobs from Oreo, 4k finally 'just works'. No weird broken stuff anymore. Now, switching between a 1080p and 4k display without wiping seems to do odd scaling atm, but at least it's not completely broken like previous releases were.
    3. So, this isn't complete yet, not by a long shot. And who know if once I do get it working whether it'll be suitable for official builds. But that thing I mentioned last point? Support for the wifi-direct controllers? Yeah, Nvidia actually released some of the major pieces that were missing for that. I'm fairly close to making it work, but haven't quite got all the pieces together yet. Once I get all the rest of the stuff stable and pushed up for official builds, I'm going to dive back into this and hopefully *finally* crack this nut.

So yeah, I'm working on cleaning this all up and doing stability tests. I'm hoping to finish clean up this weekend and spend the next week sanity testing with intentions to release for builds a week from Monday. 'Course, life (tm) can always happen, but things are looking fairly up for this device. Look forward to further updates.
    Work has started on foster/mdarcy 18.1. It's running fairly well. Waiting on the next Linux4Tegra major release to hopefully give usable git history for pieces of the kernel. That should be out later this month. Sepolicy also needs some *major* work, I'm starting that today. Once 18.1 is in good shape, the plan is still to shift to working on 19.0, polish it up, and ship that. It's not going to ship in the next couple weeks, but I sincerely hope that it won't take more than two months. But as always, #stuffcanhappen.

TL;DR: work is still ongoing.
    Been a while since I posted here, so small info dump update.

Nvidia has officially released Pie as Shield Experience 8.0.0. The recovery images are available, but no source yet. I've done some analysis of the recovery images and things look fairly positive. The new graphics stack is in better shape than the one from 7.2.x, though I still haven't got it to boot to launcher yet. Once the source release is out, I'll be able to finish importing everything and hopefully a lot of the stuff I've worked on over the last year will 'just work'. But I have no indication of how long it's going to take to get said source release.
    So, Stock Oreo is getting a staggered rollout. Once I get my hands on a copy (haven't been able to get an ota link yet and recovery images and aosp code isn't out yet), I'll start work on it. Initial report is that twrp doesn't boot on the new bootloader, so this is gonna be a fun transition. Queue the troubles with shieldtablet M all over again. ><