[ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Tablet

Search This thread
Well, here's some news I never expected to report. @ryanbg did a lot of research on the hardware video acceleration issue. And found the root problem. Missing intrinsics (low level compiler / libc stuff, I'm not going to do a full explanation of what they do). The most annoying thing is: I already had to fix that for the normal graphics stack. And because nvmm didn't log proper errors, I never thought to look at intrinsics there. Pick in one of my old patches and... stuff works fine. Unfortunately, that patch cannot ship for official builds, so we've got some more work to do to make it shippable. (and a lot of other stuff too, 16.0 is no where near polished). But yeah, sneak peak: I was playing Netflix videos at 1080p.

Long live the shield tablet
Thank you for your hard work. Still running your 14.1 official build for ST. Sadly there's no more development... ;(

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
So uh. I noticed that there's a LineageOS 18.1 ROM available for the Shield Tablet? Is this really real??

Anybody using it? How is it?
'ROM' is speaking quite loosely. The repos exist. It builds, it boots. The UI is currently unusable. Don't get too hyped. There's less major blocking bugs than there has been for a while, but there's still major blocking bugs. And no one knows whether someone will be able to fix them or not. But yes, some of us are still trying.

MultiKoopa

Feb 22, 2011
'ROM' is speaking quite loosely. The repos exist. It builds, it boots. The UI is currently unusable. Don't get too hyped. There's less major blocking bugs than there has been for a while, but there's still major blocking bugs. And no one knows whether someone will be able to fix them or not. But yes, some of us are still trying.
never give up
never surrender

Reactions: tit0um

MultiKoopa

Feb 22, 2011
tbh never understood why nvidia has given up on that table when they keep supporting the shield tv.
is the hardware that different ?
it came out in 2014. It's 8 years old. Nothing can be supported forever.

It is bizarre that they never made another tablet though

(in before somebody says "what do you mean? They made the Nintendo Switch hahahah")

• Haha
Reactions: tit0um

tit0um

Dec 29, 2011
yeah but my shield tv pro is from 2015 and still rocking and getting update.

i think they share pertty same hardware...would have been nice to be able to convert it as a shield tv with screen.

YottaEngineer

Apr 19, 2018
Nvidia Shield Tablet
it came out in 2014. It's 8 years old. Nothing can be supported forever.

(in before somebody says "what do you mean? They made the Nintendo Switch hahahah")
Using the tablet now, with android 9 and only to read I forget that it only has 2Gb of ram and it is 32 bits.

Apart from the Switch, they probably saw that the tablet market was dying. It has now in the last years kind of revived with the "Pro" obssesion. But being gaming focused, a X1 tablet stands no chance against big gaming phones, which are better in every way.

Scavenger87

Nov 6, 2019
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Xiaomi Mi Pad
tbh never understood why nvidia has given up on that table when they keep supporting the shield tv.
is the hardware that different ?

yeah but my shield tv pro is from 2015 and still rocking and getting update.

i think they share pertty same hardware...would have been nice to be able to convert it as a shield tv with screen.

Thats because every Shield TV has at least an X1 SOC instead of the K1 that this Tablet and a hand full of other devices like the first xiaomi mi pad is using.

The X1 is 64bit instead of 32Bit like the K1.

In fact they worked on a successor with a X1 in it but if i remember right they discontinued the development after they made the deal with Nintendo to serve they're SOC to the Switch which is also a X1 and later a X1+

From what i know the main problem in further development of this tablet and K1 devices in general is the fact the vendor blobs never where updated and worked on to fit a newer android version after 7.0 nougat.
When i worked on my own version of LOS 15.1 i got lot of troubles like artifacts on video playback which is IMHO caused by the .so files that never got updated to work correct with android 8 oreo and newer.

Maybe I'm wrong and @Steel01 can correct me here but i would say because of those files the devices is running in some kind of memory leak and affecting the playback and later crashing the whole device which leading to a soft reboot at least on my rom's.

The Problem with those .so files (shared objects) is that they are compiled already an only Nvidia itself has the raw files and there is no way to open them up to maybe fix this problem.

But like i said that's my experience so far and i could be wrong about this

Last edited:

Saison2018

Sure. Questions about code related to that is what necrothreaded the conversation. 11 boots, but isn't usable atm. No one that's looked at the current issues knows why the ui is unusable, though.
Sorry for the stupid question (i am not a developer): I suppose this is not as simple as installing another launcher?
I ask because I have two tablets with this current rom, and one of them was unstable with default LOS launcher. I installed another launcher (Star Launcher Prime) and this is not perfect, but far better than before.
Please excuses me if this is silly, I just want to try to help, even with my little knowledge.

Sorry for the stupid question (i am not a developer): I suppose this is not as simple as installing another launcher?
I ask because I have two tablets with this current rom, and one of them was unstable with default LOS launcher. I installed another launcher (Star Launcher Prime) and this is not perfect, but far better than before.
Please excuses me if this is silly, I just want to try to help, even with my little knowledge.
😅

YottaEngineer

Apr 19, 2018
Nvidia Shield Tablet
The launcher is just a skin for the homescreen. LineageOS is an entire operating system, derived from Android. So it is much complcated to make compatible with each device, especially an old one like the Shield K1. Also, don't worry about asking questions. I am also not a developer, I only read tutorials ;) from other people. But by reading and experimenting we all learn.

• Love
Reactions: Saison2018

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ¿Dónde está disponible?
    I just installed. feels fluid (no more than 15.1, which considers it perfect) no camera, no problems open_gapps -arm-9.0-pico- 20220215

EDIT: Google Camera (play store) work fine.
    Have you tried version 16.1 that they have on their website? have problems or is it better to stay with 15.1 (or 14.1)
    16.1 works great!
    Have you tried version 16.1 that they have on their website? have problems or is it better to stay with 15.1 (or 14.1)
    It does have problems playing video. And for me, the background of the quick settings wasn't transparent in portrait mode. 15.1 is more stable.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions :
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Known Issues
    • Hardware video decoding does not work
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for the Shield Tablet, ROM for the Nvidia Shield Tablet

Contributors
    Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 15.1

Created 2017-02-25
    Last Updated 2019-05-02
    Well, here's some news I never expected to report. @ryanbg did a lot of research on the hardware video acceleration issue. And found the root problem. Missing intrinsics (low level compiler / libc stuff, I'm not going to do a full explanation of what they do). The most annoying thing is: I already had to fix that for the normal graphics stack. And because nvmm didn't log proper errors, I never thought to look at intrinsics there. Pick in one of my old patches and... stuff works fine. Unfortunately, that patch cannot ship for official builds, so we've got some more work to do to make it shippable. (and a lot of other stuff too, 16.0 is no where near polished). But yeah, sneak peak: I was playing Netflix videos at 1080p.

Long live the shield tablet
    Well, some good news for a change. Thanks to arttttt of the mocha / MiPad group, we have a potential fix for the fence leak that caused issues with the shield tablet graphics stack on 16.0. Initial tests tonight are looking promising. I'm going to be doing stress tests over the weekend and next week to see how well it holds up. If I don't find any horribly breaking issues, I may release an experimental version over the weekend. There's still going to be a lot of little fixes needed, though. The tablet has fallen behind my work on the console, so who knows what's broken here and there.
    Yeah, sorry for the lack of update.

It does boot, but there are several issues that need cleaned up. We're seeing roughly a 33% performance loss as compared to 15.1 and earlier. And the interface isn't particularly smooth. I've got some issues with the powerhal and hint service that I need to sort out as well. That said, more stuff 'just worked' than I expected. Like, I had pulled in fosters audio hal and updated shield tablet blind while the device didn't even boot. But once the graphics fix was found, audio was working just fine. So, it's a mixed bag right now. The core stuff works, but it's not what I would consider up to par, not yet.
    I'm planning to work on getting 15.1 officials rolling this week, hopefully have it out this weekend or sometime next week. Last I checked, the only blocker was gps. I just haven't taken the time to fix the gps shim and click the buttons. The red tape that was previously preventing me from shipping without hardware video acceleration has been fixed, so that's no longer an issue.

I've also got the tablet booting 16.0 with most features working. However, there is a pretty bad show stopper bug in the graphics stack that causes the system to lock up and soft reboot after a while. I dunno if I'll ever get that sorted, but it's a battle for a later day. I'm putting more time into foster and quill recently. Once I get them in a place I'm comfortable with, I'll do more work on the older platforms.