• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][montana][11] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

JarlPenguin

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2018
Earth
github.com
Moto G5S
Moto G7
Hi
The issue mattdpollard had is exactly what I have right now.
I own a Samsung Galaxy S6 with LOS 17.1 for only 3 months. I did one weekly update fine but few weeks later the same process failed as explained above. I had to recover from a nandroid backup.
I try to solve that now but I didn't know this is a outlined issue. As JarlPenguin said this issue is now fixed, could you let me in what LOS version 17.1 or 18.1 and a link to it.
I don't think LOS 18.1 is reliable for Samsung S6. Could you confirm?
So, I stop my test here and will recover with my nandroid backup again.
I hope you have all these answers. Advice are welcome as I am not very skilled in this field.
Thanks
This is a forum for the Moto G5S, not the Samsung Galaxy S6.

MrNice

Jan 2, 2021
Countryside
This is a forum for the Moto G5S, not the Samsung Galaxy S6.
I understand that but as far I understand this bug is common at least for the 2 devices and if I can know what is the version where it has been fix I could try the same version for my device. At least I could get the date of the fix or some other clue to find it myself. Am I not right?

JarlPenguin

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2018
Earth
github.com
Moto G5S
Moto G7
I understand that but as far I understand this bug is common at least for the 2 devices and if I can know what is the version where it has been fix I could try the same version for my device. At least I could get the date of the fix or some other clue to find it myself. Am I not right?
Often these bugs are device-specific. Especially considering the fact that the S6 is a completely different device.

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
I'm on retin, I didn't try retbr or retla because they wouldn't support my carrier,but either way I'm now on los 18.1 except for VoLTE on my device everything else is fine...
Hello, again. I am still struggling with my montana. You said you can recover your montana up to receive LTE signal (except for VoLTE issue). You recover by going back to stock ROM then apply OTA, right? In your case you went back to Oleo or Nougat? I was advised to go back to Nougat. I cannot find Nougat stock ROM. If you tried Nougat, may I know where you find it?

JarlPenguin

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2018
Earth
github.com
Moto G5S
Moto G7
Hello, again. I am still struggling with my montana. You said you can recover your montana up to receive LTE signal (except for VoLTE issue). You recover by going back to stock ROM then apply OTA, right? In your case you went back to Oleo or Nougat? I was advised to go back to Nougat. I cannot find Nougat stock ROM. If you tried Nougat, may I know where you find it?
RETAIL version works for all variants (as expected), except XT1799-2

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
RETAIL version works for all variants (as expected), except XT1799-2
I tried RETAIL version of Nougat. The baseband shows unknown. Is this common? How can I apply OTA from here. Sorry asking basic operation.

Edit: Okay I am now with 7.1.1. Baseband is unknown. System update said the system is up to date, no update happened.

Last edited:

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
On Nougat try the persist fix I mentioned above.
Sorry my understanding is so slow. Now I am Nougat 7.1.1. The baseband shows unknown. Then, I did
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
Then reboot. System update says the system is up to date.
So, I have to use Rescue and Smart Assistant Tool to update to 8.1.0. Is this what you mean?

Edit: Solved. Thank you for the advice.

Last edited:

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
With the advice of OP and my own research, I can finally recover IMEI for my montana. I write the steps I took. Since OP knows everything about montana and related phones, his explanation is kind of difficult for newbies like me. So I offer description that could be understood by anyone. The essence for this operation is to do 'persist fix', that is not clear for newbies. For detailed explanation about persist fix, refer to the article in other thread that is targeted to 'potter'. For short, you should change ownership for the folders (and their contents) of /persist/rfs and /persist/hlos_rfs. Please keep in mind that this ownership change operation only be done under Nougat stock ROM. So, our 1st step is to install Nougat to your phone.
(1) Download Nougat stock ROM.
Whatever software channel is for your phone, find Nougat stock is not easy. Try find the Nougat stock for RETAIL.
(2) Install Nougat to your phone
Install with fastboot is quite straitforward. I was advised by OP to avoid flash bootloader and gpt. I do not know the reason, but I did it accordingly. You might be disappointed when you boot RETAIL Nougat stock. The baseband shows 'unknown'. Of course, you cannot see IMEI. But relax, these are not essential at this stage.
(3) Install TWRP
No need to explain here I guess.
(4) Install Magisk
Under TWRP you can install Magisk to your Nougat stock ROM.
(5) Reboot to your Nougat ROM
You should see Magisk logo in your Nougat. Then enable developer options and enable ADB debugging.
(6) Connect your phone to PC
You connect your phone to PC via adb. adb devices should show your phone is connected as device. Then type su. With the aid of Magisk you can get root privilege. Then do
ls -l /persist
you should show various files. If not, check the steps. Still you do not see anything, no help could be possible, sorry.
After this follow 'persist fix' operation (change the ownership).
(7) Reboot to bootloader
You can do:
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
I do not know if these operations are really needed or not. Just do it to keep everything for sure. Then, reboot to the system. You might be disappointed again because you cannot see IMEI. This is because baseband is unknown, do not worry, go ahead.
(8) Install the latest Oleo ROM
Go into your latest Stock ROM. Now you should see correct baseband, and IMEI! Yes it is back.

I hope this description works for you. Thank you for your reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarlPenguin

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
With the advice of OP and my own research, I can finally recover IMEI for my montana. I write the steps I took. Since OP knows everything about montana and related phones, his explanation is kind of difficult for newbies like me. So I offer description that could be understood by anyone. The essence for this operation is to do 'persist fix', that is not clear for newbies. For detailed explanation about persist fix, refer to the article in other thread that is targeted to 'potter'. For short, you should change ownership for the folders (and their contents) of /persist/rfs and /persist/hlos_rfs. Please keep in mind that this ownership change operation only be done under Nougat stock ROM. So, our 1st step is to install Nougat to your phone.
(1) Download Nougat stock ROM.
Whatever software channel is for your phone, find Nougat stock is not easy. Try find the Nougat stock for RETAIL.
(2) Install Nougat to your phone
Install with fastboot is quite straitforward. I was advised by OP to avoid flash bootloader and gpt. I do not know the reason, but I did it accordingly. You might be disappointed when you boot RETAIL Nougat stock. The baseband shows 'unknown'. Of course, you cannot see IMEI. But relax, these are not essential at this stage.
(3) Install TWRP
No need to explain here I guess.
(4) Install Magisk
Under TWRP you can install Magisk to your Nougat stock ROM.
(5) Reboot to your Nougat ROM
You should see Magisk logo in your Nougat. Then enable developer options and enable ADB debugging.
(6) Connect your phone to PC
You connect your phone to PC via adb. adb devices should show your phone is connected as device. Then type su. With the aid of Magisk you can get root privilege. Then do
ls -l /persist
you should show various files. If not, check the steps. Still you do not see anything, no help could be possible, sorry.
After this follow 'persist fix' operation (change the ownership).
(7) Reboot to bootloader
You can do:
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
I do not know if these operations are really needed or not. Just do it to keep everything for sure. Then, reboot to the system. You might be disappointed again because you cannot see IMEI. This is because baseband is unknown, do not worry, go ahead.
(8) Install the latest Oleo ROM
Go into your latest Stock ROM. Now you should see correct baseband, and IMEI! Yes it is back.

I hope this description works for you. Thank you for your reading.
Just curious, does the stock rom get signal after following your fix, and also, does VoLTE work on stock and custom ROMS?

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
Just curious, does the stock rom get signal after following your fix, and also, does VoLTE work on stock and custom ROMS?
Yes, it is very strange. Now, I can get signal with Oleo stock because I could recover IMEI. Surprisingly, it only gets 3G, no LTE. Situation is exactly the same as in LOS18.1. You said you lose VoLTE. Can you use VoLTE with the Stock? In my case I lost LTE for both Stock and Custom ROMs.

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
Yes, it is very strange. Now, I can get signal with Oleo stock because I could recover IMEI. Surprisingly, it only gets 3G, no LTE. Situation is exactly the same as in LOS18.1. You said you lose VoLTE. Can you use VoLTE with the Stock? In my case I lost LTE for both Stock and Custom ROMs.
I need more info because I never got signal with the stock ROM, i sent you a private message please respond to that...

eduardo_claro99

Sep 11, 2021
Hello
I test Lineage OS for montana
and I noticed a bug
when using the fingerprint as a navigation button the device heats up a lot, it gets slow and locks up forcing me to press the power until it turns off, other than that it's very stable, good job

Yoge2515

Sep 27, 2021
Need a solution for Incoming and outgoing calls for Jio sim. Although internet works.

As I have deleted Pixel Experience. Didn't took any back up. So lost the Pie ROM. Jio Sim Was working fine with pie.

ThankYou.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good to know then. LineageOS won't boot on a device running < 8.1 firmware.
    Yeah I think that's what I was running, but I don't think I was on the very latest version. Anyway thanks for your works !
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Instructions:
    • Download the latest build, recovery image and GApps (if you need them)
    • Flash the downloaded recovery image via fastboot
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format system and perform a factory reset
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build
    • Flash GApps and any other necessary add-ons

What's working:
    • WiFi
    • Camera and Camcorder
    • Bluetooth
    • NFC
    • Fingerprint - Oreo firmware required
    • GPS
    • OTG
    • Video Playback
    • Audio
    • RIL
    • VoLTE
    • USB tethering/audio
    • SELinux: Enforcing

Known issues:
    • VoWiFi
    • You tell me

Downloads:

Reporting Bugs
    • All bugs should be reported here: Issue Tracker
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Thanks to:
    @GivFNZ for testing my builds
    @wiktorek140, @karthick mostwanted, @wh0dat, @KalilDev, @AsD Monio, @GoldeneyeS2, @Steve Mathew Joy and @rajatgupta1998 for their hard work on our device sources
    LineageOS team

Changelogs:

Code:
    2021-04-08:
    Initial 18.1 build.

2020-10-13:
    Initial release.

Source code:
    I've uploaded a build for LineageOS 18.1. Official status will be gained shortly after we've tested things on a wider variety of devices.
    Hi, normally I post here only when there is a problem. This time I wanted to post just to say everything has been working very smoothly for weeks and I really appreciate all the work that goes into making that happen!
    Thank you! Just curious, what was the core reason of the issue?
    It was a problem with the F2FS driver.
    Hi, OTA update worked great today, thanks Jarlpenguin!