[ROM][OFFICIAL][NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1 Harpia

Search This thread

iouri1664

Oct 31, 2015
Hi everyone,
Like @hamelg and @Brandroide, I could not get data to work properly on LOS 17.1. I confirm that first installing 14.1, then booting that version, then upgrading to 17.1 did the trick.
My own path was:
  • install TWRP (LOS 17.1 recovery would not allow me to install 14.1)
  • factory reset + wipe system
  • install 14.1
  • boot 14.1 and check that data is fine
  • reboot to recovery and flash 17.1 (+opengapps) over 14.1, wiping cache and dalvik only
  • enjoy!
It is very unclear what is wrong with LOS 17.1 and why booting 14.1 before installing 17.1 fixes it.

Reactions: Liteh

rodrigian

Jan 19, 2012
Buenos Aires
Been using this rom for the last few days and I gotta say I never used a rom as polished and responsive as this one. The performance is superb, specially considering this phone originally came with Android 6. Keep up the good work jeferson!!

Muito obrigado meu amigo

Edit: the phone turns off at 8% battery, which did not happen in 7.1 so i guess it's a bug. I can then restart it and keep using it so it's not a hw issue.

Last edited:

Suyashbansal

Oct 16, 2012
New Delhi
Moto G4 Play
OnePlus 6
Been using this rom for the last few days and I gotta say I never used a rom as polished and responsive as this one.
Thanks for the testimonial @rodrigian ! I'm planning to put this ROM on my device and have a small question - We would need the ARM version of Open GApps instead of the ARM64, right?

Edit: the phone turns off at 8% battery, which did not happen in 7.1 so i guess it's a bug. I can then restart it and keep using it so it's not a hw issue.
Does it happen even if you're on battery saver mode? I hope the DEVs can figure out the root cause for this bug and iron out the last few niggles from the ROM!

rodrigian

Jan 19, 2012
Buenos Aires
Thanks for the testimonial @rodrigian ! I'm planning to put this ROM on my device and have a small question - We would need the ARM version of Open GApps instead of the ARM64, right?

Does it happen even if you're on battery saver mode? I hope the DEVs can figure out the root cause for this bug and iron out the last few niggles from the ROM!

Arm gapps is needed. I don't use battery saver mode but i don't think it would make any difference. There must be an issue with the phone thinking it reached 0% while it's actually 8% then that's why it turns off

Suyashbansal

Oct 16, 2012
New Delhi
Moto G4 Play
OnePlus 6
Thank you, @jeferson1979, for the fantastic LineageOS port! I am amazed by how smooth and polished the overall experience is with this ROM. I flashed the ROM and OpenGApps (ARM - Micro) with the official Lineage recovery, and the phone is all good to go. My mom has been using the device for the last three days, and she is delighted.

There are a couple of things I could not help but notice:

1. The battery drain is faster when the stock browser is being used. My mom uses it to play Ludo online, and the battery drains at a rate of >1% per minute. On the other hand, with cellular calls & WhatsApp, the battery drains at a rate of around 1% per 5-7 minutes.
  2. VoLTE on VI (Vodafone Idea) here in India is not working with this ROM. I tried to poke around some settings (Preferred network type – LTE, etc.) but always ended up breaking the call functionality. It is working with Preferred network type as Global. Please let me know if there is a way to enable VoLTE from settings.

I’ll update you with more details later as I receive any feedback from my mom! :)

MR4Y

Apr 25, 2012
Araras - SP
Arm gapps is needed. I don't use battery saver mode but i don't think it would make any difference. There must be an issue with the phone thinking it reached 0% while it's actually 8% then that's why it turns off

In my case, the phone shuts down when battery drops below 20% and also will change from 80% to 100% when the battery is charging. I'm considering going back to 14.1, as that issue could be damaging my battery.

rodrigian

Jan 19, 2012
Buenos Aires
The battery issue was fixed since 22/1 update. I haven't try the lastest version yet but I think the battery problem has been fixed for good now.
From what you are describing, the battery of your phone is either about to die or (probably not) the battery might have lost it's calibration. I would think that due to the age of the phone, it's already failing so this issue would still be present even if you change roms.

MR4Y

Apr 25, 2012
Araras - SP
The battery issue was fixed since 22/1 update. I haven't try the lastest version yet but I think the battery problem has been fixed for good now.
From what you are describing, the battery of your phone is either about to die or (probably not) the battery might have lost it's calibration. I would think that due to the age of the phone, it's already failing so this issue would still be present even if you change roms.

My battery worked fine until I installed 17.1. Then this battery issue started to show up. After that, the battery was never the same.

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Does that mean everyone who is reporting the exact same issues I have coincidentally had bad batteries and this ROM magically reveals this issue?

Not at all. It's definitely possible that a ROM had bad code that permanently damaged people's batteries. It'd just be hard to prove it after the fact, as even reverting back to an older ROM wouldn't fix a battery that was actually damaged or old. The only way to get to really the bottom of it would be to swap the battery out with a known good battery and then test the ROM in question to see if the damage could be reproduced.

MR4Y

Apr 25, 2012
Araras - SP
Not at all. It's definitely possible that a ROM had bad code that permanently damaged people's batteries. It'd just be hard to prove it after the fact, as even reverting back to an older ROM wouldn't fix a battery that was actually damaged or old. The only way to get to really the bottom of it would be to swap the battery out with a known good battery and then test the ROM in question to see if the damage could be reproduced.

The phone doesn't shut off in bootloader mode, only showing "Battery Low". On Recovery mode, it doesn't want to load and shows the battery depleted indicator...However, if I plug the charger in before entering bootloader mode and take it out, it stays on.

NGK2

Feb 8, 2021
Hi everyone. Like some others, I'm facing data issues on my dual XT1602. I'm running the latest LOS 17.1 with 3.5.0_9-0 TWRP recovery.

I have 2 SIMs from french MVNOs :
- Free Mobile
- Bouygues Telecom

Curiously data works with Free but never with Bouygues, whatever the SIM slot is used. I did many tests with APN settings but nothing helps... Could it be an issue with Bouygues carrier ?

Apparently the only way to fix this is by following the steps that were proposed by @iouri1664 and @hamelg (ie going back to 14.1 and then restore 17.1). Is there any other solution ? In fact I don't know where to download LOS 14.1... Moreover I can't find TWRP 3.2.3 that was succesfully used by hamelg. Any help ?

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Hi everyone. Like some others, I'm facing data issues on my dual XT1602. I'm running the latest LOS 17.1 with 3.5.0_9-0 TWRP recovery.

I have 2 SIMs from french MVNOs :
- Free Mobile
- Bouygues Telecom

Curiously data works with Free but never with Bouygues, whatever the SIM slot is used. I did many tests with APN settings but nothing helps... Could it be an issue with Bouygues carrier ?

Apparently the only way to fix this is by following the steps that were proposed by @iouri1664 and @hamelg (ie going back to 14.1 and then restore 17.1). Is there any other solution ? In fact I don't know where to download LOS 14.1... Moreover I can't find TWRP 3.2.3 that was succesfully used by hamelg. Any help ?

This is the last version of 14.1 for Harpia (I checked the file, it's the same checksum as what's hosted at a couple other places, so it's unlikely it's been modified): https://files.moskvich.xyz/LineageOS/14.1/harpia/lineage-14.1-20190210-nightly-harpia-signed.zip

If you want to try twrp-harpia-3.2.3-r1.img, someone's going to have to upload that for you somewhere, because it looks like the forum download links are broken since the the forum upgrade?

Reactions: NGK2

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for your answer ! Do you think TWRP 3.2.1 would work too ? Or perhaps a newer version would also do it ?

I recall @djgerman10 saying earlier in this thread that he wasn't successful installing 14.1 with a newer version of TWRP (3.4.0.0), but I don't personally know why that would be. Honestly, it'd be worth trying just to confirm or deny that claim, and then you could still flash TWRP to an earlier version if you needed to. One benefit to using a newer version of TWRP is that earlier versions on harpia caused full backups to have file dates in the past, which was annoying for keeping track of when you made the backup.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We have many issues while bringing 18.1 to harpia. All is working, but it's not a daily material. When it's ready, it will be announced
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Known issues:

Instructions:
    • Download the latest build, official TWRP (3.3.0 and newer)
    • Boot the downloaded TWRP via fastboot
    • Flash the latest build
    • Reboot

Downloads:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 17.1 Harpia, ROM for the Moto G4 Play

Contributors
    jeferson1979
    althafvly
    Device tree

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: lineage

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 17.1
    Stable Release Date: 2020-03-22

Created 2020-03-22
    Last Updated 2020-03-22
    Regarding all last questions:
    1- carrier config is now roll backed to same we use in pie;
    2- I've made changes at kernel level related to core control, testing if worth enable in harpia. As you know, we change our code to squid basis to make it official, and things now will be a bit slow to keep the 5 devices of moto msm8916 working, earlier I supported only harpia and osprey, now lux also;
    3- Bugs without logs I consider a feature.

Thanks for your understanding and hold with us
    OP is updated with new release:

Merged may security patches
    Stability enhancenments

Download at OP
    The ROM works great, however SELinux is not enabled, would it be possible to enable it?

Selinux is on mode permissive, but you can expect next update to be on enforcing mode, by now don't turn enforcing :p
    Update is out for lineage-17.1 with selinux Enforcing
    Download at OP
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone