[ROM][OFFICIAL][PAYTON][NIGHTLIES]Lineage OS 17.1

Search This thread

timtaw

Feb 6, 2017
I have very similiar questions.

1) Is the installation procedure in this case install/update to stock --> copy partitions --> Wipe and Format Data --> Sideload LineageOS onto Slot A --> Reboot into recovery (Lineage Recovery or the installed TWRP) --> Flash other stuff after rebooting into recovery? When I tried this on my Moto G7, Lineage would ALWAYS fail to overwrite the stock android or there would be no OS installed and this happened even when I followed this verbatim and even when I tried installing the stock and lineage to both slots. I want to be clear about the install procedure and which slots to install to this time to avoid those mistakes.
What is the correct sequence?
  1. Fastboot Copy Partitions Zip
  2. Fastboot TWRP
  3. In TWRP: Wipe -> Format Data
  4. In TWRP: Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Check "System" only
  5. In TWRP: sideload the LineageOS zip
  6. In TWRP: Reboot System
  7. Repeat Steps 3-6 in order to deal with Android A/B
  8. Install firmware files.
Is that correct?

3) Does TWRP 3.3.1-0 cause issues with LineageOS? I've heard from some people that it does. If so, which version works best?
For me, TWRP can't decrypt the partitions. Using twrp-3.3.1-0-payton.img.

4) The Firmware in post 2 appears to be different from a stock rom which is much larger. Am I supposed to flash that before I do anything, am I supposed to flash the stock first, or can I just do the partition copy after updating fully?
I'm puzzled by that either. I already did install LineageOS without installing the firmware drivers first. Now sound, video and fingerprint aren't working because of missing firmware files as described by a few people here on this thread. Can I just flash the firmware files and everything will work or do I have to go back to Stock ROM, flash the firmware files, re-install LineageOS and lose all settings?

When flashing the firmware drivers, which ones do I have to flash without overwriting LineageOS and/or losing any settings? The firmware file from post #2 contains these image files:
Code:
abl.img
bluetooth.img
cmnlib64.img
cmnlib.img
devcfg.img
dsp.img
dto.img
fsg.img
hyp.img
keymaster.img
logo.img
modem.img
pmic.img
prov.img
rpm.img
storsec.img
tz.img
vbmeta.img
xbl.img

Cheers,

Robert

Last edited:

jw243

Mar 21, 2016
If you remove the screen lock (PIN, Pattern, Fingerprint...) before booting into TWRP, then TWRP is able to decrypt the data partition.

It is, however, a bit tedious to scan your fingerprint(s) again afterwards.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Has anyone got a stable system consisting of the following components?
  • LineageOS 16
  • AFWall 3.1.0
  • Activated Private DNS
  • Inserted SIM / using mobile data
My system crashes constantly with this combination using a late September / early October built of LineageOS.

If your system is stable with these components, which version of LineageOS are you using?

Thanks!

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
This has been my experience as well.

It's extra weird though because for the longest time I could just input my PIN in TWRP and it'd decrypt fine, then it got to the point where I had to remove it to decrypt, and now even removing won't let it decrypt.

And I've been running the same TWRP release the entire time.

Randy Power

Dec 16, 2007
It's extra weird though because for the longest time I could just input my PIN in TWRP and it'd decrypt fine, then it got to the point where I had to remove it to decrypt, and now even removing won't let it decrypt.

And I've been running the same TWRP release the entire time.
I don't fully understand the A/B slots business but is it possible that A) the lock configuration/PIN/pattern is set in /system (which has A/B versions), and B) trwp is sometimes looking at the "inactive" slot for this configuration, so it's wrong? I'm really going beyond my level of knowledge, so reign me in here.

Also, I tried to update about a week ago to the latest nightly and got my phone into a bootloop again. After a few loops (Lineage boot animation until about the time it should prompt for my unlock pattern, then restart on its own), Lineage Recovery would give the dreaded failure message with Try Again or Factory Reset as options.

I was able to save it by reinstalling MindTheGapps. Thereafter, it booted but all the Google apps that could be Uninstalled/Reinstalled kept crashing. Clearing their storage didn't fix them, but Uninstall/Reinstall from Play Store fixed them.

MotoX4

May 19, 2018
Easthampton
REBOOT -- Bootloader
Fastboot TWRP
Format Data
WIPE -- ALL
REBOOT -- Bootloader
Fastboot TWRP
Install ---- Nightly 2019-10-27
Install ---- TWRP 3.3.1-0
REBOOT -- Recovery
Install ---- Gapps 25 October 2019 - Nano *
REBOOT - Recovery
Install ---- Stable Magisk Version: v20.0
REBOOT -- System

USA - Google Fi :)

* A bit off-topic but am I the only person who ever notices that Gapps never replaces the stock apps as they claim it will? It only installs them alongside. It really isn't an issue. Just a pet peeve since it leaves me having to remove them myself. But since this is "normal" and the ROM is working, it really is just me thinking "out loud". Carry on as you were. lol

Last edited:

MeowDotEXE

Oct 17, 2016
I've been using this ROM for about a week now, everything works fine except for these:
  • The CPU temperature sensor always reads as 0 degrees. For some reason, it works properly when charging.
  • Sprint doesn't work on Google Fi. T-Mobile is fine, and I can't test US Cell as they don't exist where I live.
  • Sound is a bit quieter than stock.
  • TWRP can't decrypt /data.

timtaw

Feb 6, 2017
I've been using this ROM for about a week now, everything works fine except for these:
  • The CPU temperature sensor always reads as 0 degrees. For some reason, it works properly when charging.
  • Sprint doesn't work on Google Fi. T-Mobile is fine, and I can't test US Cell as they don't exist where I live.

Agreed. Working (mostly) stable now.
I'll add to the list above:

• No notifications on incoming calls or messages (in fact, no notifications at all)
  • Sometimes wifi stops working, solution: either wait for some time until it magically reconnects or reboot
  • Only one reboot since installing 20191028 nightly
  • Stock music player won't continue to play music when in background for some time and playback has been stopped by user

For me its enough to be my daily driver.

Online Gravy

May 25, 2018

Google fi works great for me. What i do is flash the gapps super package with a config file that tells the script to only install the apps i want. I'd use a smaller package but the super package is the only one that has google fi. I also flash the universal anti encryption zip after magisk so I don't have to deal with encryption or dm verity.
Flash ROM
Install TWRP
Reboot to recovery
Flash magisk
Flash encryption disabler
Flash GAPPS super with custom config file in the same directory
Works perfectly for me

SB00

Mar 24, 2019
Here's a weird thing I've noticed about this ROM.
Whenever I move music over, doesn't matter if it's moved to internal or external storage, but it doubles the tracks and albums.
When you click one of them, lets say "Track 1" it says the format isn't supported and it will jump to the next "Track 1" and start playing. If I get lucky I can just delete the duplicate album and be good to go, but what usually happens is the tracks are doubled and I'll have to go through the whole album and delete them. This happens with the default music player and Player pro.
Never had this issue with the many phones and ROMs I've used over the years. It's weird

noogi

Dec 13, 2016
Gdańsk
After last clear installation (following stock install) TWRP decrypting was working fine, but after lineage or Magisk update decrypting is not working anymore.
How to bring that working back?

Online Gravy

May 25, 2018
After last clear installation (following stock install) TWRP decrypting was working fine, but after lineage or Magisk update decrypting is not working anymore.
How to bring that working back?

Do you need encryption? You can disable forced encryption with the disable force encryption zip. Its honestly not worth the hassle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction:

This is the official Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Moto X4, codename payton.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install:
    • Boot the newest TWRP .img from the Official TWRP Project Site.
    • IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    • In TWRP, click "Wipe", "Format Data", then type "yes" as prompted.
    • ADB sideload the newest weekly
    • (Optionally) You can flash the newest TWRP Installer also found at the Official TWRP Project Site if you wish to maintain TWRP, though the pre-installed Lineage Recovery instance will do everything you need it to in most cases. We don't recommend or support the use of the TWRP installer, as it is overwritten on every update (will need to be re-installed every update), and has no addon.d-v2 persistence.
    • Click "Reboot, then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    • (Optionally) Flash GApps - MindTheGApps arm64 are recommended, OpenGApps are compatible with A/B as of 09102018, but I still only reccoemend and support MindTheGApps.
    • (Optionally) Flash SU - you'll need to turn it on from in developer settings after first boot Lineage OS SU Addon. - Magisk works fine, though is not supported.
    • Reboot

Notes:
    • Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine, though is not supported.)
    • Official Lineage OS builds ship with full treble compatibility, with VNDK runtime enforcement! This means that unlike most "ported treble" you'll see, ours is just as it would be from the OEM, and can run any GSI (yes, even Pie!) without need for hacks or additional flashable zips. We relabeled /oem as /vendor (as /oem isn't used in custom ROM's anyway). To use a GSI, flash official Lineage, then flash your GSI, it's that simple! Flashing a factory image will likely write over /oem and remove the mock vendor image. Please don't report GSI bugs here, report them instead to the GSI's maker.

Download:

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS 17.1, ROM for the Moto X4

Contributors
    erfanoabdi, Lineage Team
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 10.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Official Pie

Version Information

Created 2018-09-01
    Last Updated 2019-03-02
    new updated versions is out
    * minor bug fixes
    * volte bug fixes in dual sim device
    * updated blobs to official 8.1
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528062600
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Full Treble Version :
    * fully treblized
    * wifi/video calling fixes
    * minor volte bug fixes
    * battery and performance optimization

Treble Lineage : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528063250
    Treble TWRP : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528063210
    Treble TWRP Installer : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528063564

**this is treble build and should be flashed ONLY with treble twrp**

FAQ:
    Magisk?
    - try magisk 16.7 if you want
    GSIs?
    - yes all GSIs is installable
    P?
    - yep follow AB flashing guide

ENJOY
    new build is up :
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474829452

* Fingerprint navigation gestures fixed (settings -> system -> buttons -> on screen navbar)
    * SElinux is enforced
    * stronger haptics
    * dual camera fixes
    * CPU and Battery optimizations
    * kernel update to latest moto source
    * with full lineage A/B support : xda-developers.com/lineageos-15-1-supports-a-b-devices-moto-z2-force
    Guys Official build is up on Lineage updater : https://download.lineageos.org/payton
    please recheck OP for installation guide it's also updated (for guys coming from stock don't forget copy partition zip, and for first installing gapps and stuffs don't forget re-reboot to recovery)
    official TWRP is also updated (make sure you are in latest version of it) : https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotox4.html
    also in official twrp we dropped MTP support (Like Pixel devices) it was affecting on many horrible things but "adb push/pull" works so read Installation guide from link above

we will get updates official lineage updated WEEKLY, with OTA support

i was reading posts @MotoX4, you need to use official twrp and for gapps you forgot to reboot to recovery, for safety net you need to install magisk as all mentioned in OP ;)
    + lineage recovery is only for "adb sideload" not for installing zips from internal storage

thanks for using lineage :fingers-crossed: