• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][R] LineageOS 18.1 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro [whyred]

Search This thread

Morfisiniumus

Apr 14, 2021
I hope there are developers here, or they will be able to convey to those who are engaged in this for Xiaomi redmi note 5 / pro devices.

The bottom line is that, by default, the camera turns on noise reduction when recording video, which is why low-quality sound is recorded. There is a file to fix this in the Vendor / etc path.
It just needs to be replaced, I hope it will be done in the update.

File

Last edited by a moderator:

Rendering

May 13, 2011
My phone often shows sensible data of notifications while the screen is locked, despite having setted the right security settings. How that could happen?

lineage-18.1-20210503-nightly-whyred-signed.zip

NikGapps-stock-arm64-11-20210501-signed.zip

gast12

Oct 25, 2018
After some OTA updates, e.g. today, I lose Magisk root. I then have to enter recovery and re-flash magisk23zip.
I use latest stable OrangeFox recovery.
Any hints how to fix this?

Anyone have a link of the final build of Los 17.1?
Yeah, on official LOS page.. dooh lazy..go find it. There is only 1 file for LOS 17.1.
Luckily my bookmark is working.. sooo here you goo...

Last edited:

church_foster

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, on official LOS page.. dooh lazy..go find it. There is only 1 file for LOS 17.1.
Luckily my bookmark is working.. sooo here you goo...
Yeah that zip link is dead, that's why I came here lol.

1emrys1

May 29, 2013
Background apps are not staying in memory.. Apps are killing in the background within 1 or 2 minutes
If you flash rom, then reboot(to recovery or system) without flashing gapps and flash gapps later, you will have lots of issues.

Wipe system, data, dalvik etc. Flash rom and MindTheGapps, one after the other. No reboot to recovery or system. Rom and gapps should be exactly one after the other without any reboot to anything.
After flashing both together, reboot to system. Flash magisk later if you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SunilSuni

pablo.see

Aug 30, 2010
Augustów
I've just upgraded LOS to 18.1 and i have issues with Google Maps. I've used opengapps test version for Android 11. I've tried reinstalling app and also clearing data+cache for maps. Anything I can do beside factory reset (data+cache wipe)?

1emrys1

May 29, 2013
I've just upgraded LOS to 18.1 and i have issues with Google Maps. I've used opengapps test version for Android 11. I've tried reinstalling app and also clearing data+cache for maps. Anything I can do beside factory reset (data+cache wipe)?
It got messed up somehwere along the way and now the only way to set everything right is to clean flash. Also LOS team is recommending MindTheGapps for LOS 18.1 because OpenGapps is not stable.

I have linked the lineage os websites and i have also linked the gapps they recommend. Download the Arm64 version.

To get rid of issues related to google play and services,
Boot into recovery
WIpe Cache, dalvik, system, vendor, data

This will wipe your android apps and their data but wont wipe internal storage. WhatsApp folder, downloads folder etc wont be wiped.

Now Flash the rom file and flash MindTheGapps file just after flashing rom. Then boot into system.
If you boot into system before flash gapps and then flash gapps later, you will have lots of problems. So always flash rom and gapps together. And avoid Nikgapps and Openagapps as they're causing issues on Android 11. Use MIndTheGapps

I can confirm that the rom is super smooth and stable if you use MIndTheGapps and flash rom and gapps together.

SunilSuni

Jul 5, 2017
Bengaluru
If you flash rom, then reboot(to recovery or system) without flashing gapps and flash gapps later, you will have lots of issues.

Wipe system, data, dalvik etc. Flash rom and MindTheGapps, one after the other. No reboot to recovery or system. Rom and gapps should be exactly one after the other without any reboot to anything.
After flashing both together, reboot to system. Flash magisk later if you need it.
Thanks for replying but i wasn't using any gapps..

Its a known issue in LOS. Background applications are not retaining in RAM.

Maybe you should try LOS 18.1 to understand background application problem

Reactions: 1emrys1

1emrys1

May 29, 2013
Thanks for replying but i wasn't using any gapps..

Its a known issue in LOS. Background applications are not retaining in RAM.

Maybe you should try LOS 18.1 to understand background application problem
Yes actually that's what I did. I have been using lineage os for 3 days now.

Earlier I used crdroid based on android 11. It worked well for a day but from next day it started lagging badly. I turned on developer Options and checked memory usage. System UI was consuming 500+ mb and free memory was below 700. Overall usage was around 80 and going up.

I rebooted the phone. I disabled blur. Everything worked fine for a few hours. But as i kept checking memory usage, I saw system ui usage climbing from 100 to 200 and by next day morning it was again at 400+ and my phone was lagging again.

So it's some kind of a memory leak bug in that rom.

After that I installed latest lineage os(June security patch and android 11) and flashed it in one go with MindTheGapps.

So far i have been using for three days without rebooting my phone and everything has been super smooth. There is no memory leak or excessive ram usage. System ui stays below 200. And free ram stays between 60-70%.
I have also opened reddit, twitter and youtube music together and switched between them. Turned screen off and came back after 20 minutes and switched to reddit and it opened exactly where I left.

So I recommend everyone facing lag and app killing to check their memory usage in Developer Options. If it is reaching 80% or more then something might be wrong. Especially if system ui is going beyond 200-250 mb range.

Some remedial steps can be -
Wipe data, dalvik. Cache, system and vendor. Flash rom and gapps in one go. The reboot.

If this doesn't work then final resort to fix this issue should be -
Download latest global stable rom fastboot file.
Flash it using mi flash. Select flash all. Don't select flash all and lock.
Now boot into redfox using fastboot boot recovery. Then flash redfox using redfox again in recovery. Now recovery has become permanent.
Format data. Wipe those 5 things like system cache. Flash rom and gapps in one go.

This should fix the problem.

This lineage os 18.1 is one of the smoothest and best roms I have found. It isn't filled with unnecessary features and bloat. It's simplistic and fast.

Exey

Jul 18, 2015
Might've been discussed somewhere, but I couldn't find any info.

Installed this yesterday, its running great, except that my Internal shared storage seems to be limited to 8GB, which massively hinders the phone. Any clues are appreciated

Asycid

Apr 28, 2011
If you (or anyone else) still has the last 17.1 version and could upload it, would be great. Should be "lineage-17.1-20210405-nightly-whyred-signed.zip". All the mirrors seem to be down and Google leaves me empty handed as well.
It's not exactly the latest (but close to the latest!), but I downloaded 17.1 from here:
https://lineageosroms.com/whyred/

I have to mention, this is absolutely not an official site, but it works. Be warned there is absolutely no guarantee that these are note modified ROMs, because there are no HASH for the 17.1 LineageOS zips on the official site, so you can't even compare to them...

Justs42

Jul 2, 2021
It's not exactly the latest (but close to the latest!), but I downloaded 17.1 from here:
https://lineageosroms.com/whyred/

I have to mention, this is absolutely not an official site, but it works. Be warned there is absolutely no guarantee that these are note modified ROMs, because there are no HASH for the 17.1 LineageOS zips on the official site, so you can't even compare to them...
Thanks a lot! I stumbled across this site, too. Unfortunately, all the links are dead for me as well, except for the latest 18.1 build (linking to mirrorbits, the EU mirror is also dead).

I was hoping that at least the hashes of the original files would have been stored on archive. Turns out, no luck in that case as well. Seems to be quite tricky.

Aqq123

Aug 27, 2009
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7

Top Liked Posts

Right, a clean flash (starting over) is my intent. I have my essential data backed up already.

I should have mentioned that I don't have access to MS Windows. Since the LOS guides don't mention the Xiaomi tools, I assumed they wouldn't enter the picture again.

So the MIUI 11 OS ships with the V12 stable firmware? I can certainly see the appeal of just getting one's firmware properly updated this way. Someone in this thread say “Just flash the [V12] firmware via TWRP”. If the latter is viable for my use case, I'd much prefer that!

Btw, does "MIUI 11 fastboot ROM" simply mean that the ROM is built in a fastboot-compatible way? Are there other versions that aren't?

Thanks a lot for the detailed pointers.

Yup, that's my plan, I'm not a heavy phone user anyway, the conservative LOS design served me well.

Yes, I'm totally ready to lose all data, just wanna avoid bricking the phone.
    Every miui rom has two versions - fastboot and recovery. Recovery roms are smaller and they're the ones that can be flashed using recovery.
    Fastboot roms are bigger and have all the partitions and data that is needed to completely reset the phone. When the phone is bricked or messed up tto much by random zips, flashing the fastboot rom using PC resets it totally. Its like a clean slate.

If you want a totally clean slate - flash fastboot rom. But needs a large file to be downloaded and needs pc
    If you want an easier method - flash recovery rom using latest orangefox. Still more than 1 gb file
    Even more easy method - flash firmware. This firmware was taken out from the recovery rom and turned into a small zip. Generally 50-70mb

But you are coming from 8.1 Oreo like me. Flashing the fastboot rom will guarantee a complete clean slate. Since you don't have pc, try the method of updating orangefox, flashing firmware and then flashing los. Remember to format data before flashing los.
    If you get any errors or problems in your los rom - like sim error, or location error etc then the only method might be to find a pc and flash fastboot rom and then go to lineage again.

If you don't get any errors then congrats, updated recovery and firmware was enough.
    Miui 12 fastboot roms for whyred doesn't boot. Avoid them

Thats not correct. V12.0.2.0.PEIMIXM fastboot rom boots up normally.
    View attachment 5394551
    System usage 16GB, is that normal ?
    Do you use gapps ? Mine is 10GB without gapps. GAPPS are [email protected]!
    Did someone noticed new charging animation when phone is turned off and plugged in ?
    I guess OTA update install error is still here (no reboot in recovery, but instead throw out an error in notification area), at least on my phone (need to read log).
    Right, a clean flash (starting over) is my intent. I have my essential data backed up already.

I should have mentioned that I don't have access to MS Windows. Since the LOS guides don't mention the Xiaomi tools, I assumed they wouldn't enter the picture again.

So the MIUI 11 OS ships with the V12 stable firmware? I can certainly see the appeal of just getting one's firmware properly updated this way. Someone in this thread say “Just flash the [V12] firmware via TWRP”. If the latter is viable for my use case, I'd much prefer that!

Btw, does "MIUI 11 fastboot ROM" simply mean that the ROM is built in a fastboot-compatible way? Are there other versions that aren't?

Thanks a lot for the detailed pointers.

Yup, that's my plan, I'm not a heavy phone user anyway, the conservative LOS design served me well.

Yes, I'm totally ready to lose all data, just wanna avoid bricking the phone.
    Every miui rom has two versions - fastboot and recovery. Recovery roms are smaller and they're the ones that can be flashed using recovery.
    Fastboot roms are bigger and have all the partitions and data that is needed to completely reset the phone. When the phone is bricked or messed up tto much by random zips, flashing the fastboot rom using PC resets it totally. Its like a clean slate.

If you want a totally clean slate - flash fastboot rom. But needs a large file to be downloaded and needs pc
    If you want an easier method - flash recovery rom using latest orangefox. Still more than 1 gb file
    Even more easy method - flash firmware. This firmware was taken out from the recovery rom and turned into a small zip. Generally 50-70mb

But you are coming from 8.1 Oreo like me. Flashing the fastboot rom will guarantee a complete clean slate. Since you don't have pc, try the method of updating orangefox, flashing firmware and then flashing los. Remember to format data before flashing los.
    If you get any errors or problems in your los rom - like sim error, or location error etc then the only method might be to find a pc and flash fastboot rom and then go to lineage again.

If you don't get any errors then congrats, updated recovery and firmware was enough.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Mantainers

- srfarias
    - SebaUbuntu

Installation instructions
    Here

Device info
    Here

Download
    Here

Sources
    LineageOS

How to report a bug
    - Please head over to LineageOS issues page in GitLab and create a report here
    To clarify:
    It was not a device-side issue, nor a ROM side issue, it's actually a build server isssue
    If someone want an accurate explanation, ask me
    If you don't, just wait the next build
    Updated thread for 18.1 🎉
    Re: SoterService & Qualcomm Location

1. SoterService

SoterService [...] helps chinese users with secure payments (e.g. WeChat)
    So for starters it certainly isn't useful to anybody outside China. As for users in China (not Chinese users, there's a difference), official LOS isn't really suitable for them anyway without further patching (at least fallback DNS, SUPL, captive portal and connectivity test URLs should be changed, Chinese-specific fonts and IME also aren't included). In practice not many people there are going to install a custom ROM on a device like this and if they do, it's most likely going to be something locally-brewed like Moqu. Thus, "helping users in China" (not "Chinese," since Chinese people all over the world by and large don't and in fact usually can't use Weixin either unless they happen to be in China) is not a realistic consideration. And as you can see it's also not as if not having this preinstalled would be an extra burden to any user in China.

This APK was not included in official LOS 15.1. I don't even recall it being a part of MIUI Global ROM for this device. Those lucky few who have the use for it (if anybody at all) will know how to install it, just like everybody else installs all kinds of other stuff on top of LOS. However, Lineage OS defines itself as a "free [as in 'libre'] and open-source operating system," and incorporating proprietary, third-party blobs of dubious benefit to the user is hardly in line with the project's objectives.

https://www.github.com/Tencent/soter/wiki [link edited to remove Google Translate]
    Please read this and check why we need it.
    I read it, again (I first did when I was looking up this APK before even writing anything in this thread) and all the more I don't see any reason why it should be included. On the contrary, it's specific to China and only compatible with some of the devices launched in that market. Why would it be so indispensable that it just has to be part of the official LOS build for this device? (If you were referring to some specific statement in what's written there, feel free to quote it, and I will look at it again.)

For the record, I never said it was spyware, just a leftover that serves no purpose. But device security can be compromised in a number ways, for example through an exploitable bug in the APK. We all know the whole vendor blob for this device is completely outdated. The less is kept of it in its original form, the better. If something can be safely removed without impact, this should be the default action to take.

This blobs and apps are in stock ROMs, so, to not break something, we leave them in place.
    The whole point of having a custom ROM is to be able to critically pick and choose what should be in it from the usability perspective. Obviously this involves informed experimentation and something can occasionally break, so what? Reading something like this here makes me want to scroll back to the top of the page to check if this is still "XDA Developers."

Vendor blobs are not sacred. Xiaomi's in particular are usually rather bad. For instance, previous vendor blobs for this device enabled Wi-Fi diagnostics by default, needlessly spamming the logs and draining battery. Should this have been kept too?

2. Qualcomm Location

Again, this is a system component
    What is that even supposed to mean? By definition it's a user-space application, so it's a "system component" as much as Candy Crush is in Windows.

as you said, can help in specific scenarios
    I wanted to save everybody the boring details. In practice I doubt it makes any difference. It's supposed to work by querying the location from nearby Wi-Fi access points but only those with supported SoCs in them (so QCA-only I believe), and then again only those that were configured to provide it.

The benefit is supposedly better location indoors, so it could be life-saving if you get lost in a shopping mall but 99.9% of the time when you need precise location is when you are outside and not near any particular Wi-Fi access points.

The idea behind it is not unsound and it could indeed save battery life if GPS doesn't have to run in such situations (and if it really is indoors then it wouldn't work anyway) but the bigger point is that Google (and others) have already been doing the same for years and are better at it. So if you install Google Apps you are already getting all of this functionality anyway.

You can't blame Qualcomm for trying even though they're late to the game but essentially it's about duplicating what already works just was "not invented here." Your location won't get any more precise than what Google already provides, all it accomplishes is Qualcomm being able to use your battery time and data allowance to seed their own database so as to compete with the incumbent.

with MIUI you can't disable this stuff so that's an improvement
    Actually, here you can't disable it either: given how it's set up, there is no setting for it anywhere in the UI, it just runs all the time in the background. I think it'll also interfere if you wanted to use mock location.

So even if Qualcomm location were to stay by default, there should be a toggle for it, or at the very least the framework overlay settings should be restored to their defaults because now it's effectively impossible to use any other location provider: it's either Qualcomm or nothing.

Since LOS does not include a complete location solution (people will install Google Apps, MicroG, or perhaps something else), arguably it shouldn't force a partial one on the user either. To be brutally honest, I thought these settings were left like that by mistake, couldn't imagine anyone defending them but here we are. (Feel free to also check out the discussion I linked to in my previous post, and the commit where it was removed for beryllium - Xiaomi Pocophone F1.)

I appreciate your effort in building this ROM and making it official. I understand the way you responded must be due to the impression that I attacked or criticized your work. This was not my intention.

I'm not saying anybody should do anything, I'm just sharing what I did. Hopefully it can help others one way or another. And if I'm wrong about something I'll be the first to admit it, after all I'm here to learn.

In the end it's your work and your decisions, you'll do as you wish. But there is a valid argument for the majority of the users and readers of this thread not to have these included in the official LOS build, which is why I wrote about it.

Agree or disagree, either way it's really not necessary to make any of this personal.
    go completely offline and buy a Nokia 3310
    Don't be racist and don't apply stereotypes, not all chinese app spy on you