• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][R] LineageOS 18.1 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro [whyred]

Search This thread

mik101

Jul 13, 2010
What is everyone running for a camera port on 18.1? I noticed ANXCamera says that Whyred isn't supported anymore (Edit: ANX Camera 1.85R seems to work fine flashed through magisk even though its technically unsupported at this point).

Edit 2: Everything seems to work except the beautify mode from my quick testing. I'm using the R version from here by Noid flashed through Magisk 23. It's likely possible to get even more features working using their ANX Camera Pro software on Google Play, but I haven't played around with that yet.

Edit 3: Has anyone found a working gcam port for Whyred running android 11? I tried about half a dozen and most seem to work with the rear camera, but they all either crash or freeze the front facing camera. I did see there was a front facing camera fix for 17.1 for one if the modded builds but I have my doubts the libraries would be compatible with Android R. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
What is everyone running for a camera port on 18.1? I noticed ANXCamera says that Whyred isn't supported anymore (Edit: ANX Camera 1.85R seems to work fine flashed through magisk even though its technically unsupported at this point).

Edit 2: Everything seems to work except the beautify mode from my quick testing. I'm using the R version from here by Noid flashed through Magisk 23. It's likely possible to get even more features working using their ANX Camera Pro software on Google Play, but I haven't played around with that yet.

Edit 3: Has anyone found a working gcam port for Whyred running android 11? I tried about half a dozen and most seem to work with the rear camera, but they all either crash or freeze the front facing camera. I did see there was a front facing camera fix for 17.1 for one if the modded builds but I have my doubts the libraries would be compatible with Android R. Thanks guys!
Im running Urnyx05 Gcam which works surprisingly well however front cam isnt consistent. Did you just flash anx or did you go through their full instructions ?

mik101

Jul 13, 2010
Im running Urnyx05 Gcam which works surprisingly well however front cam isnt consistent. Did you just flash anx or did you go through their full instructions ?
Thanks that was one of the half dozen or so that I tried. The rear cam seems to work well on that one for sure.

I just flashed the full modded R version by Noid through magisk 23 and didn't bother adding any of the extra functionality through their ANX Camera Pro settings app on market (because none if the changes I tried worked properly on Whyred). I didn't follow their backup instructions/pin removal because even if it had bootlooped and the person they referenced recovery was broken, they could have gone to terminal in the recovery and typed " TWRP decrypt 'password' " where password is their set pin/pass in single quotes and it would have decrypted their partition properly. Then the module could be uninstalled through there following their uninstall directions without having to format the data partition.

Edit: also seems to be so-far-so-good on GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.5.apk
Edit2: That build started freezing the selfie cam after a few launches too. I'm not sure why it worked correctly the first few times.
Edit3: If you switch back and forth between the front and rear cam a few times the front cam will start working. I'm probably going to use this instead of ANX --- the only thing you lose is the real front flash (instead GCAM lights the screen up brightly). Considering how little I use the front facing camera, this isn't a big deal to me. Ill keep trying other builds, but this one is working the best so far. The Gcam repository has many builds from many different developers to test: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
Edit4: ANX uninstalls properly through Magisk manager as well incase anyone is curious, but I just reinstalled it because th front facing camera stopped working at all for me with the Urynx05 build above. I'll leave the latter installed for night sight and photosphere and just use ANX for everything else.

The only real bug I've found that's Lineage 18.1/Android 11 related and was already pointed out earlier in this thread: Wireless Display / Miracasting not working. Otherwise it's been great so far. Casting from Youtube etc to my smart TVs still works just fine anyway. I just can't mirror using the Wireless display section in the settings app (it doesn't detect any displays). My second whyred on a heavily modded MIUI12 works fine for that. I forget if it was working on LOS17.1, but I think it was. Cheers guys.

Edit: Switched to CameraGo Greatness 2.5. I wish it had panorama and photosphere, but otherwise it works great.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoLdIcE42

Rendering

May 13, 2011
My phone often shows sensible data of notifications while the screen is locked, despite having setted the right security settings. How that could happen?

lineage-18.1-20210503-nightly-whyred-signed.zip

NikGapps-stock-arm64-11-20210501-signed.zip

migasll

Sep 13, 2012
Hi, why can't I use fingerprint in whyred lineageos 18.1? It's not even recognized.
It was working flawlessly in 17.1.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

1emrys1

May 29, 2013
Hi, why can't I use fingerprint in whyred lineageos 18.1? It's not even recognized.
It was working flawlessly in 17.1.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Could be due to several reasons. Best options would be to -

Flash latest global stable fsstboot rom. Or if you don't want that hassle then flash latest global stable firmware through custom recovery.

Update your recovery to the latest one if not done so already. I recommend latest OrangeFox recovery.

Wipe system, data, vendor, dalvik, cache

Format Data. (its different from wipe data. Format data requires you to type Yes and it will format nternal storage. So backup your internal storage to laptop or sd card)

Now flash Lineage OS. Then flash MindTheGapps right after Los flash is complete.

Reboot to System.

This should fix all problems.

Last edited:

mik101

Jul 13, 2010
Is anyone else using Android Auto on 18.1?
Bluetooth will connect fine and function fine without the USB cable plugged in, but once I plug in the USB cable for Android Auto bluetooth drops and says "can't connect, restart device". Unplug the USB cable and bluetooth connects properly again. So it seems as though I can choose whether to use bluetooth media and actually receive calls through the car, or use android auto and not be able to receive my calls. I'll have to flash a few versions back to see if it occurred in earlier builds. It works fine on my other whyred running MIUI 12. I honestly can't remember if it was working together properly when I first flashed 18.1 last month because I don't make or receive a lot of calls in the car. I probably didn't notice that it wasn't.

migasll

Sep 13, 2012
Could be due to several reasons. Best options would be to -

Flash latest global stable fsstboot rom. Or if you don't want that hassle then flash latest global stable firmware through custom recovery.

Update your recovery to the latest one if not done so already. I recommend latest OrangeFox recovery.

Wipe system, data, vendor, dalvik, cache

Format Data. (its different from wipe data. Format data requires you to type Yes and it will format nternal storage. So backup your internal storage to laptop or sd card)

Now flash Lineage OS. Then flash MindTheGapps right after Los flash is complete.

Reboot to System.

This should fix all problems.
Thanks for the help.

I did all of that except I didn't flash latest xiaomi global stable rom. Does that change anything?

I also don't use anything with google, so I didn't flash MindTheGapps. Does that change anything?

I also use twrp instead of orangefox. Does that change anything?

Everything else works but the fingerprint. Are you sure this isn't an issue with the rom? I'm using the latest available version from 05/07/2021.

1emrys1

May 29, 2013
Thanks for the help.

I did all of that except I didn't flash latest xiaomi global stable rom. Does that change anything?

I also don't use anything with google, so I didn't flash MindTheGapps. Does that change anything?

Everything else works but the fingerprint. Are you sure this isn't an issue with the rom? I'm using the latest available version from 05/07/2021.
The Gapps dont matter if you dont flash them at all. They do matter if someone flashes rom, boots to system and then flashes gapps later. This causes problems. But if you never flash gapps then that cant be an issue.

TWRP can matter depending on what version it is. You need latest TWRP capable of flashing Android 11 roms without issue. Older TWRP may be capable of flashing Android 10 roms or lower but might cause problems with Android 11. So upgrade to the Latest TWRP or latest Redfox. Since everyone seems to be using OrangeFox, maybe try upgrading to that.

And then flash the latest Global Stable firmware from here. It is 62.2 MB
https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/firmware/whyred/stable/V12.0.2.0.PEIMIXM/

Then format data and clean flash the rom.

Even after doing all this, if your fingerprint is still not working, then the only solution is to flash latest fastboot rom using PC and MI FLash. You have to select Flash All. Avoid selecting " Flash All and Lock" because this option will lock your bootloader as well.
After you select "Flash All", you will have latest global stable installed with Mi recovery.

Full fastboot rom. 2.5 gb. It has tgz extension. Zip extension is recovery rom. Avoid that.

Boot to rom. Skip through setup. You will also be able to check for hardware defects on stock miui rom. Check whether your fingerprint/sensors etc are working there. If not, then maybe you have a hardware defect.

Enable USB Debugging. Go back to fastboot. Flash OrangeFox Recovery. Format Data(Important Step). Then flash the Lineage rom.

This should definitely fix all issues whether related to fingerprint or sensors or anything else.

Reactions: polya95
Is anyone else using Android Auto on 18.1?
Bluetooth will connect fine and function fine without the USB cable plugged in, but once I plug in the USB cable for Android Auto bluetooth drops and says "can't connect, restart device". Unplug the USB cable and bluetooth connects properly again. So it seems as though I can choose whether to use bluetooth media and actually receive calls through the car, or use android auto and not be able to receive my calls. I'll have to flash a few versions back to see if it occurred in earlier builds. It works fine on my other whyred running MIUI 12. I honestly can't remember if it was working together properly when I first flashed 18.1 last month because I don't make or receive a lot of calls in the car. I probably didn't notice that it wasn't.
Its gapps problem not ROM. LOS 18.1 is working perfectly

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

Don't flash FASTBOOT ROM from recovery... you can brick your phone...use PC and MI flash tool. But 1st make backup of your data.
And after flashing FastBoot ROM you need to boot into MIUI 1 TIME, and wait cca 5 min.
Gapps are [email protected] and I never install it.
And all is working fine, fast and battery holds longer.
Check fingerprint sensor for any scratches.. its very picky.. scratches can destroy xiaomi fingerprint sensor very easy..
To be sure you can go back to MIUI ROM and test there, than come back to LOS (dont forget to wipe system, dalvik/cache, data, internal storage).
Why internal storage? Because of left overs from old and depreciated data android version/different roms.

Dec 29, 2017
Hi. i flash NikGapp-Core not showing "call interface". fixed by NikGapp-Basic. and when I plug in the headset can't use the microphone on either the headset or the device. Thanks 🥰

rns786

Sep 26, 2016
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Is it a bug or only problem with my device it self?
3 days ago I flashed LOS 18.1 with MindThegapps(clean flash) then I installed magisk.
I found this bug if I turn on mobile hotspot and then mobile data connection phone immediately reboot several times.
but if I turn On the mobile data connection first it works fine.

Thanks In Advance

update:- 😅 I found that it happens randomly any time whenever I turn on mobile data.

Last edited:

niyas90

Mar 12, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Hi. i flash NikGapp-Core not showing "call interface". fixed by NikGapp-Basic. and when I plug in the headset can't use the microphone on either the headset or the device. Thanks 🥰
Read the nikgapps FAQ. You have to select the dialer as default phone app from settings > apps&noti.. > default apps after flashing nikgapps core. Nikgapps Basic actually using the google dialer instead of default aosp dialer.

Reactions: ngocanhnguyentang
May 29, 2014
Kathmandu
While using SIM 1, I am not able to use my roaming data on 4G. It only gets 2G connection. But, when I insert the same SIM at SIM 2, roaming data at 4G is used. Any solutions so that I can use 4G roaming on SIM1?? Thank you

1emrys1

May 29, 2013
Is it a bug or only problem with my device it self?
3 days ago I flashed LOS 18.1 with MindThegapps(clean flash) then I installed magisk.
I found this bug if I turn on mobile hotspot and then mobile data connection phone immediately reboot several times.
but if I turn On the mobile data connection first it works fine.

Thanks In Advance

update:- 😅 I found that it happens randomly any time whenever I turn on mobile data.
are you on latest global stable firmware?

Top Liked Posts

Right, a clean flash (starting over) is my intent. I have my essential data backed up already.

I should have mentioned that I don't have access to MS Windows. Since the LOS guides don't mention the Xiaomi tools, I assumed they wouldn't enter the picture again.

So the MIUI 11 OS ships with the V12 stable firmware? I can certainly see the appeal of just getting one's firmware properly updated this way. Someone in this thread say “Just flash the [V12] firmware via TWRP”. If the latter is viable for my use case, I'd much prefer that!

Btw, does "MIUI 11 fastboot ROM" simply mean that the ROM is built in a fastboot-compatible way? Are there other versions that aren't?

Thanks a lot for the detailed pointers.

Yup, that's my plan, I'm not a heavy phone user anyway, the conservative LOS design served me well.

Yes, I'm totally ready to lose all data, just wanna avoid bricking the phone.
    Every miui rom has two versions - fastboot and recovery. Recovery roms are smaller and they're the ones that can be flashed using recovery.
    Fastboot roms are bigger and have all the partitions and data that is needed to completely reset the phone. When the phone is bricked or messed up tto much by random zips, flashing the fastboot rom using PC resets it totally. Its like a clean slate.

If you want a totally clean slate - flash fastboot rom. But needs a large file to be downloaded and needs pc
    If you want an easier method - flash recovery rom using latest orangefox. Still more than 1 gb file
    Even more easy method - flash firmware. This firmware was taken out from the recovery rom and turned into a small zip. Generally 50-70mb

But you are coming from 8.1 Oreo like me. Flashing the fastboot rom will guarantee a complete clean slate. Since you don't have pc, try the method of updating orangefox, flashing firmware and then flashing los. Remember to format data before flashing los.
    If you get any errors or problems in your los rom - like sim error, or location error etc then the only method might be to find a pc and flash fastboot rom and then go to lineage again.

If you don't get any errors then congrats, updated recovery and firmware was enough.
    Miui 12 fastboot roms for whyred doesn't boot. Avoid them

Thats not correct. V12.0.2.0.PEIMIXM fastboot rom boots up normally.
    View attachment 5394551
    System usage 16GB, is that normal ?
    Do you use gapps ? Mine is 10GB without gapps. GAPPS are [email protected]!
    Did someone noticed new charging animation when phone is turned off and plugged in ?
    I guess OTA update install error is still here (no reboot in recovery, but instead throw out an error in notification area), at least on my phone (need to read log).
    Right, a clean flash (starting over) is my intent. I have my essential data backed up already.

I should have mentioned that I don't have access to MS Windows. Since the LOS guides don't mention the Xiaomi tools, I assumed they wouldn't enter the picture again.

So the MIUI 11 OS ships with the V12 stable firmware? I can certainly see the appeal of just getting one's firmware properly updated this way. Someone in this thread say “Just flash the [V12] firmware via TWRP”. If the latter is viable for my use case, I'd much prefer that!

Btw, does "MIUI 11 fastboot ROM" simply mean that the ROM is built in a fastboot-compatible way? Are there other versions that aren't?

Thanks a lot for the detailed pointers.

Yup, that's my plan, I'm not a heavy phone user anyway, the conservative LOS design served me well.

Yes, I'm totally ready to lose all data, just wanna avoid bricking the phone.
    Every miui rom has two versions - fastboot and recovery. Recovery roms are smaller and they're the ones that can be flashed using recovery.
    Fastboot roms are bigger and have all the partitions and data that is needed to completely reset the phone. When the phone is bricked or messed up tto much by random zips, flashing the fastboot rom using PC resets it totally. Its like a clean slate.

If you want a totally clean slate - flash fastboot rom. But needs a large file to be downloaded and needs pc
    If you want an easier method - flash recovery rom using latest orangefox. Still more than 1 gb file
    Even more easy method - flash firmware. This firmware was taken out from the recovery rom and turned into a small zip. Generally 50-70mb

But you are coming from 8.1 Oreo like me. Flashing the fastboot rom will guarantee a complete clean slate. Since you don't have pc, try the method of updating orangefox, flashing firmware and then flashing los. Remember to format data before flashing los.
    If you get any errors or problems in your los rom - like sim error, or location error etc then the only method might be to find a pc and flash fastboot rom and then go to lineage again.

If you don't get any errors then congrats, updated recovery and firmware was enough.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Mantainers

- srfarias
    - SebaUbuntu

Installation instructions
    Here

Device info
    Here

Download
    Here

Sources
    LineageOS

How to report a bug
    - Please head over to LineageOS issues page in GitLab and create a report here
    To clarify:
    It was not a device-side issue, nor a ROM side issue, it's actually a build server isssue
    If someone want an accurate explanation, ask me
    If you don't, just wait the next build
    Updated thread for 18.1 🎉
    Re: SoterService & Qualcomm Location

1. SoterService

SoterService [...] helps chinese users with secure payments (e.g. WeChat)
    So for starters it certainly isn't useful to anybody outside China. As for users in China (not Chinese users, there's a difference), official LOS isn't really suitable for them anyway without further patching (at least fallback DNS, SUPL, captive portal and connectivity test URLs should be changed, Chinese-specific fonts and IME also aren't included). In practice not many people there are going to install a custom ROM on a device like this and if they do, it's most likely going to be something locally-brewed like Moqu. Thus, "helping users in China" (not "Chinese," since Chinese people all over the world by and large don't and in fact usually can't use Weixin either unless they happen to be in China) is not a realistic consideration. And as you can see it's also not as if not having this preinstalled would be an extra burden to any user in China.

This APK was not included in official LOS 15.1. I don't even recall it being a part of MIUI Global ROM for this device. Those lucky few who have the use for it (if anybody at all) will know how to install it, just like everybody else installs all kinds of other stuff on top of LOS. However, Lineage OS defines itself as a "free [as in 'libre'] and open-source operating system," and incorporating proprietary, third-party blobs of dubious benefit to the user is hardly in line with the project's objectives.

https://www.github.com/Tencent/soter/wiki [link edited to remove Google Translate]
    Please read this and check why we need it.
    I read it, again (I first did when I was looking up this APK before even writing anything in this thread) and all the more I don't see any reason why it should be included. On the contrary, it's specific to China and only compatible with some of the devices launched in that market. Why would it be so indispensable that it just has to be part of the official LOS build for this device? (If you were referring to some specific statement in what's written there, feel free to quote it, and I will look at it again.)

For the record, I never said it was spyware, just a leftover that serves no purpose. But device security can be compromised in a number ways, for example through an exploitable bug in the APK. We all know the whole vendor blob for this device is completely outdated. The less is kept of it in its original form, the better. If something can be safely removed without impact, this should be the default action to take.

This blobs and apps are in stock ROMs, so, to not break something, we leave them in place.
    The whole point of having a custom ROM is to be able to critically pick and choose what should be in it from the usability perspective. Obviously this involves informed experimentation and something can occasionally break, so what? Reading something like this here makes me want to scroll back to the top of the page to check if this is still "XDA Developers."

Vendor blobs are not sacred. Xiaomi's in particular are usually rather bad. For instance, previous vendor blobs for this device enabled Wi-Fi diagnostics by default, needlessly spamming the logs and draining battery. Should this have been kept too?

2. Qualcomm Location

Again, this is a system component
    What is that even supposed to mean? By definition it's a user-space application, so it's a "system component" as much as Candy Crush is in Windows.

as you said, can help in specific scenarios
    I wanted to save everybody the boring details. In practice I doubt it makes any difference. It's supposed to work by querying the location from nearby Wi-Fi access points but only those with supported SoCs in them (so QCA-only I believe), and then again only those that were configured to provide it.

The benefit is supposedly better location indoors, so it could be life-saving if you get lost in a shopping mall but 99.9% of the time when you need precise location is when you are outside and not near any particular Wi-Fi access points.

The idea behind it is not unsound and it could indeed save battery life if GPS doesn't have to run in such situations (and if it really is indoors then it wouldn't work anyway) but the bigger point is that Google (and others) have already been doing the same for years and are better at it. So if you install Google Apps you are already getting all of this functionality anyway.

You can't blame Qualcomm for trying even though they're late to the game but essentially it's about duplicating what already works just was "not invented here." Your location won't get any more precise than what Google already provides, all it accomplishes is Qualcomm being able to use your battery time and data allowance to seed their own database so as to compete with the incumbent.

with MIUI you can't disable this stuff so that's an improvement
    Actually, here you can't disable it either: given how it's set up, there is no setting for it anywhere in the UI, it just runs all the time in the background. I think it'll also interfere if you wanted to use mock location.

So even if Qualcomm location were to stay by default, there should be a toggle for it, or at the very least the framework overlay settings should be restored to their defaults because now it's effectively impossible to use any other location provider: it's either Qualcomm or nothing.

Since LOS does not include a complete location solution (people will install Google Apps, MicroG, or perhaps something else), arguably it shouldn't force a partial one on the user either. To be brutally honest, I thought these settings were left like that by mistake, couldn't imagine anyone defending them but here we are. (Feel free to also check out the discussion I linked to in my previous post, and the commit where it was removed for beryllium - Xiaomi Pocophone F1.)

I appreciate your effort in building this ROM and making it official. I understand the way you responded must be due to the impression that I attacked or criticized your work. This was not my intention.

I'm not saying anybody should do anything, I'm just sharing what I did. Hopefully it can help others one way or another. And if I'm wrong about something I'll be the first to admit it, after all I'm here to learn.

In the end it's your work and your decisions, you'll do as you wish. But there is a valid argument for the majority of the users and readers of this thread not to have these included in the official LOS build, which is why I wrote about it.

Agree or disagree, either way it's really not necessary to make any of this personal.
    go completely offline and buy a Nokia 3310
    Don't be racist and don't apply stereotypes, not all chinese app spy on you