• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][OFFICIAL][RACER]Lineage OS 17.1

Search This thread

Hansaplast31

Jan 30, 2021
Reactions: fthebop

761gg1i3219

Apr 11, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm currently planning to buy a phone in this price range with official LOS support.

By far the best choices seem to be Motorola Moto Edge and OnePlus Nord, they have very similar specs, so I wanted to ask you guys how is LOS on Edge?

Is there anything I should know before buying? Like I don't know that this phone is difficult to maintain and the maintainers are planning to drop it soon or something else?

How is your experience with this phone?

Thank you all in advance for your response.

handaxe

Jul 22, 2015
How is your experience with this phone?
I would say this is a great buy and works well with LOS, but for an issue that has nothing to do with LOS - the screen. Moto edge (and edge +) have screens susceptible to green tinge, and other blemishes. Some devices don't develop this, but many do.

Motorola is replacing affected devices it seems, but their forum reveals it reoccurs fairly often on replacement devices. Clearly, there is a problem.

Until Motorola explains what is causing this, the suspicion must be that a device could develop these problems in age.

Of possible LOS issues, my phone doesn't have - as advertised - Beidou nav sats and a 64MB back camera (mine says 16MB).

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
I don't believe it! I didn't lose root after the April 16th update!😲😲 It could have something to do with Magisk being overhauled. I flashed the new Magisk after the last LineageOS update.

bronkish

While going back to stock last week I got to enjoy all the fancy-fine pretty, I just couldn't trust it - no matter how much I locked it down, turned stuff off, etc...the phone's running LineageOS again, rooted, of course, but I didn't install AFWall+ this time. It runs mint.

As an aside, I do employ AppManager to block trackers and prevent apps from getting course and fine location. I also turn off background mobile data for every app.

LineageOS is simple, boring, and reliable - just like Debian, so it's my ride. I don't like that I can't narrow the screen width of apps as can happen with stock, but, I'll get over it.

handaxe

Jul 22, 2015
As expected, thanks to the bootloader unlock, Motorola will not repair my phone under warranty.

With the screen problem, the Edge is not a suitable device for LineageOS or any off-piste ROM. "You may get bit"

Glossy paperweight, anyone :)

Reactions: mirhl

bronkish

What? If I build you a thing and then you go and change it, you don't get to come to me and say: honor your warranty. I warranty my work, not yours. Warranties honor: as delivered, presented, or, installed. IN this case, you're uppity because someone built a thing for you, you want to change it, and still hold them accountable if you break it.

Good luck with that.

riceboyler

Mar 26, 2008
Cedar City, UT
OnePlus 7 Pro
What? If I build you a thing and then you go and change it, you don't get to come to me and say: honor your warranty. I warranty my work, not yours. Warranties honor: as delivered, presented, or, installed. IN this case, you're uppity because someone built a thing for you, you want to change it, and still hold them accountable if you break it.

Good luck with that.

What? If you built me a piece of HARDWARE, and that HARDWARE had HARDWARE failures unrelated to SOFTWARE, you're darn right I'd expect you to honor that HARDWARE warranty.

Unless Motorola (or any other phone maker) can prove that the software modifications CAUSED the hardware failure, it seems to me they're using it as an excuse. This same kind of thing happened with automotive modifications back in the day, and that's why we have the Magnuson-Moss Act to protect against this wholesale warranty voiding based on modifications. (You had car companies trying to void engine warranties because somebody installed an aftermarket stereo.)

Put another way: if Dell voided the warranty on my XPS laptop because I installed Linux on it instead of Windows that came with it, I'd sue their butts. Samsung/Motorola/etc get away with this crap because they have more expensive lawyers than XDA peeps.

mikeyek

Aug 5, 2014
What? If you built me a piece of HARDWARE, and that HARDWARE had HARDWARE failures unrelated to SOFTWARE, you're darn right I'd expect you to honor that HARDWARE warranty.

Unless Motorola (or any other phone maker) can prove that the software modifications CAUSED the hardware failure, it seems to me they're using it as an excuse. This same kind of thing happened with automotive modifications back in the day, and that's why we have the Magnuson-Moss Act to protect against this wholesale warranty voiding based on modifications. (You had car companies trying to void engine warranties because somebody installed an aftermarket stereo.)

Put another way: if Dell voided the warranty on my XPS laptop because I installed Linux on it instead of Windows that came with it, I'd sue their butts. Samsung/Motorola/etc get away with this crap because they have more expensive lawyers than XDA peeps.
No, they "get away with it" because it's explicitly stated during the bootloader unlock process that it voids any warranty. You were the one who continued with the process and you are the one who is concerned about the screen.
And the whole reason that exists is because unlike computers or vehicles, unlocking the bootloader allows you to make changes to the phone that easily can brick a device. So next time you're concerned about warranty, don't unlock the bootloader.

Last edited:

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
As expected, thanks to the bootloader unlock, Motorola will not repair my phone under warranty.

With the screen problem, the Edge is not a suitable device for LineageOS or any off-piste ROM. "You may get bit"

Glossy paperweight, anyone :)
Why can't you re-lock the bootloader? Apparently there could still be signs that the bootloader was unlocked, but apparently you have nothing to lose, so why don't you try it: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-un-locking-motorola-bootloader.4079111/post-82215973

You may just need to do the re-lock command an not the reflashing part.

Last edited:

bronkish

Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree. You and I don't necessarily disagree. My answer to whosit over there was meant to dissuade his/her's ridiculous leading and manipulative post. It's a troll starts the conversation with "as expected..." and then goes on to whine and worse; tries to further a victim posture with more trolling bullshit about a different thing altogether.

fthebop

May 11, 2021
Anyone else having an issue with speaker and Bluetooth audio input not working in Signal and Telegram and other VoIP apps (no input whatsoever)? And yes my screen also goes black constantly like some others here): Not suitable for a daily driver considering microphone input doesn't work properly at all.

fthebop

May 11, 2021
I am seeing a problem with the microphone in Telegram after installing the 26 March 2021 built. The microphone doesn't work in video calls at all. If I use a wired headset (such as the one that came with the phone it works). The problem looks like as described here:

This issue still has not been fixed? I am still having the same issue in Telegram and Signal.

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
Are the screen going black and the random reboot issues ever gonna be fixed? Maybe they're something that only the Main OS developers can fix, not the developers of the Motorola Edge sub-version? Maybe they can work together? Perhaps the same is true of the other problems mentioned in this thread.

For whatever good it'll do I'll post the Logcat logs here that I captured. One for the black screen and one for the random reboot. The one for the random reboot ends when the random reboot happens. The other one ends when I reboot the phone myself after the screen goes black. Both logs are at least half a days worth of logs. I guess I'll also post them at the LineageOS Github site, for whatever good that will do.

I don't have any clues about the screen going black, but when the random reboots happen, I'm either using a browser or live streaming a radio station with VLC. That leads me to believe it has something to do with the internet. I wish I would have made a note of whether I was connected to data or wifi when the random reboots happen. Maybe that can be deduced from the log. I only have one on at a time. That should help with the deducing. I haven't actually looked at these logs yet myself. The best way to do so is with Wordpad(yes Wordpad) because it can read Unix encoding and render it readable to you without you having to do anything to make it able to do so.

kraln

Jun 3, 2007
kraln.com
Just flashed 17.1-20210528, everything works except the following:

Like #61, If you go into speakerphone mode, a non-existent microphone is selected. If you leave speakerphone mode, it continues to not work. If you plug in a headset and unplug it (in not-speakerphone mode), it works again.

I would be interested in an 18.1 build; in fact I have it most-of-the-way compiling--just struggling with the kernel.

fthebop

May 11, 2021
Just flashed 17.1-20210528, everything works except the following:

Like #61, If you go into speakerphone mode, a non-existent microphone is selected. If you leave speakerphone mode, it continues to not work. If you plug in a headset and unplug it (in not-speakerphone mode), it works again.

I would be interested in an 18.1 build; in fact I have it most-of-the-way compiling--just struggling with the kernel.
Have you flashed 18.1 and did it fix the microphone and screen issues? Also, did you flash it over 17.1/what flashing process did you use? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction:

This is the unofficial Lineage OS thread for the Motorola Edge, codename racer.

We support all the T-Mobile, International, and Project Fi variants, as their bootloaders are unlockable, while we can't support the Verizon and AT&T variants, as their bootloaders are permanently locked.

How to install:
    • Boot the newest lineage recovery .img from the Link (or use TWRP).
    • IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2
    • In Recovery, click "Format Data".
    • ADB sideload the newest weekly
    • Click "Reboot, then choose "Recovery", this will boot you to either Lineage Recovery or TWRP depending on your choice to install TWRP or not. It is necessary to reboot between ROM flash and GApps/Addon flash due to verity/slot-swap logic.
    • (Optionally) Flash GApps - MindTheGApps arm64 are recommended, OpenGApps are compatible with A/B as of 09102018, but I still only recommend and support MindTheGApps.
    • Reboot

Download:
    Screenshots:
    Screenshot_20210125-225025_Trebuchet.pngScreenshot_20210125-225034_Settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225048_LineageOS_Settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225053_LineageOS_Settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225100_Settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225105_Settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225109_Advanced_settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225115_Advanced_settings.pngScreenshot_20210125-225203_Trebuchet.pngScreenshot_20210125-225216_Camera.pngScreenshot_20210125-225258_Trebuchet.png

XDA:DevDB Information

Lineage OS 17.1, ROM for the Motorola Edge

Contributors

erfanoabdi, @SyberHexen, @Jleeblanch, Lineage Team
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS & https://github.com/moto-sm7250

ROM OS Version: 10.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.19
    ROM Firmware Required: Official Android 10

Version Information
    Stable
    Motorola Edge (racer) Gets Official LineageOS 17.1!

Good news as you can see in the LineageOS Wiki the Motorola Edge (racer) is now officially supported with LineageOS 17.1.
    Nice to have an other recent 2020 device added to the roster.
    Supported models
    • XT2063-2
    • XT2063-3
    Note that it may take up to 1 week for the ROM & Lineage recovery downloads to become available for this device if all goes well with the Lineage automated builder: https://download.lineageos.org/racer

Thank you to the volunteer LineageOS maintainers @erfanoabdi, @SyberHexen, & @Jleeblanch. ↑ (ツ)
    The last posts in this thread have been edited/deleted. I take this opportunity to remember where you can read the forum rules
    After reading the rules and even though you think something is against it, you should use the report button instead of create spam topics that bring nothing of value to our community.

Thank you!
    FSadino
    I was literally gonna learn how to build my own ROM, but this is awesome!