[ROM][OFFICIAL][redfin] LineageOS 20

Search This thread

DroidRommer

Aug 12, 2016
Hey all! Just wondering if I were to upgrade to the latest firmware being A12.1 cuz I've heard you can use twrp on it. Will that stop my current ROM (latest nightly lineage 19.1) from booting or cause any kind of problems? I would just love to be able to backup and restore multiple ROMS like the good ole days again lol!

Edit: apparently the latest lineage update is firmware 12.1 but it's for the pixel 6!? Can I downgrade to 12.1 for pixel 5 without problems with lineage or would twrp still possibly work with: lineage_redfin-userdebug 12 SQ3A.220705.004 e63a87186e

FYI: as far as I can tell twrp only works in a12 stock firmware don't waste your time trying on custom roms it won't boot. Just hangs in twrp splashscreen

Thanks,
DroidRommer

Last edited:

mityman50

Jan 18, 2014
Hi, firstly thank you for this. LOS on the Pixel 5 is the best Android experience I've had in over a decade. I haven't dabbled with customs ROMs in a long while but I'm glad I did now.

So long story short, I have to replace my current Pixel 5. The one I'm getting has GrapheneOS installed, with a pin lock on it that's been lost.

1. I should be able to flash this over GrapheneOS even if the phone has a pin lock, right? Do I need to find if the kernel has changed, or is there anything else I'm missing? I'm only, like, capable of following strict directions, once things get off the rails like this I'm a little more uncertain lol

2. There's a bug between the Lineage web browser and the password manager app Bitwarden. Using the Lineage browser, tap an email or password field, a helper bubble (idk the term, but it's the same bubble like when Cut, Copy, Paste appears) appears that opens Bitwarden to browse for your login. The browser is supposed to pass like the URL to Bitwarden which is used to find the corresponding password. But the URL that gets passed is always org.lineageos.jelly. Other browsers pass the right URL. Seems more like a Lineage thing than this ROM but I can help you keep troubleshooting, let me know how.

Cheers!

Edit- Got it figured out. For reference what I started with had GrapheneOS installed and an unknown pin lock (the IMEI is clean)

Firstly I booted into recovery and did a factory data wipe/reset which took care of the lock screen. Then per GrapheneOS instructions ("Replacing GrapheneOS with the stock OS" at the bottom), I wiped the boot key. Then I tried to follow the LOS install process but it was failing due to signature verification. The fix was to disable Windows 10 driver signature verification, and with that done the install worked as instructed.

LOS with GApps is noticeably better than stock in terms of general stability and battery life. I scooped up this replacement Pixel 5 in near mint condition for $100 and, with LOS extending security patches past Google's commitment, I'll be so happy to keep all this for years and years. Rear fingerprint scanner for life lol

Last edited:

ziovelvet

Apr 25, 2013
LOS with GApps is noticeably better than stock in terms of general stability and battery life.
Usually isn't the opposite? I always read that without GApps battery life is way better, but that might change from phone to phone.

I scooped up this replacement Pixel 5 in near mint condition for $100
Where did you get it for $100? I'm trying so hard to find one for cheap but here (in EU) prices are crazy. I can find it between €350 to €600.

mityman50

Jan 18, 2014
Usually isn't the opposite? I always read that without GApps battery life is way better, but that might change from phone to phone.
LOS with GApps > stock in my experience, but I'm sure plain LOS > LOS with GApps. On my last one, I flashed LOS when the phone was about a year old, and went from a day's battery life to a bit more than a day. Now with this newer phone, I'm getting 2 days pretty reliably.

Where did you get it for $100? I'm trying so hard to find one for cheap but here (in EU) prices are crazy. I can find it between €350 to €600.
Uhh an app called OfferUp, it's just a mildly popular buy/sell/trade app in the US. But more importantly, a lot of luck lol. I suppose this seller didn't know how to boot into recovery to factory reset and so let it go for cheap.

Patience helps, but where you shop might make a difference. eBay is OK but since it's a wider market, pricing gets more uniform, so look for individual sellers, not refurbishers or professional resellers. Pixels also aren't sought after like Galaxys or iPhones, so they go for cheaper on smaller marketplaces. That's why I've had good luck with local buy/sell/trade or smaller apps... OfferUp is nationwide but not ubiquitous and has worked for me.

In the last 3+ years or so I've had two Pixel 3's (first I shattered the screen, second randomly bricked itself ), a 4 (sold because I found a 5 for cheap, also who releases a phone with face unlock when everyone's wearing a mask lol), and now two 5's (another cracked screen, not cost effective to replace). All used. My observation is that a couple factors have made the pricing of used Pixels whack. There seemed to be a glut of used 3's so those were super easy to find at a good price; on eBay you could filter on condition and find a couple resellers with multiple phones available. When the 5 released so cheap, it disrupted pricing again, so a few months after it released I got the 4 brand new in sealed box for $200 shipped, this time through OfferUp. I also live in a major metropolitan area so the first 5 I scooped up locally from a guy who just didn't like it and let it go for $300 a couple months after the 6 released. Idk man... timing, luck, patience and smart shopping. Good luck. I love this phone. Best Android I've ever owned and I've had some good ones.

JackyJacks

May 7, 2016
Paris
Hello everyone, does anybody know about a recovery that works with that rom ?
I like to perform full system/data backups once in a while...

JackyJacks

May 7, 2016
Paris
It"s for apks, it looks cool, I used to like titanium backup, but I'd like to save the full state of my phone, like a snapshot on a virtual machine, including system, because it's rooted and I like to "try stuff" 😄

hlfire

Sep 16, 2016
I tried Gapps and even MindtheGap 12L and both don't load properly after flashing the latest LOS nightly. I'm using LOS recovery, should I change to TWRP?

Horrible Username

Jun 16, 2018
How long is it normally supposed to take to do an update (through the updater)?.
I was trying to update to today's build from the previous one and after at least 30 min. cancelled it with the progress bar only at ~halfway. The initial LOS install didn't take remotely this long

I literally just got the phone a week ago, so I'm still working out what's what

mityman50

Jan 18, 2014
How long is it normally supposed to take to do an update (through the updater)?.
I was trying to update to today's build from the previous one and after at least 30 min. cancelled it with the progress bar only at ~halfway. The initial LOS install didn't take remotely this long

I literally just got the phone a week ago, so I'm still working out what's what
In my experience, long. No idea why. I've seen it hang at the beginning and midway thru. Now I just start it before bed.

It was the same on a different Pixel 5 I had, too.

So, how long? Idk. But "really long" isn't abnormal.

bleh815

May 6, 2010
Google Pixel 7
A few hints about the updater:
* it has an option to prioritize the updater process. this speeds up things.
* the progress goes up to 50% and then no further but it actually finishes all fine in the end
* at least some versions of the updater did stop when the screen locked. keep it unlocked to finish the update. this might have been fixed in the meantime and you might be affected or not idk

Search this thread for more details. For me the updater does its job just fine.

Horrible Username

Jun 16, 2018
In my experience, long. No idea why. I've seen it hang at the beginning and midway thru. Now I just start it before bed.

It was the same on a different Pixel 5 I had, too.

So, how long? Idk. But "really long" isn't abnormal.

A few hints about the updater:
* it has an option to prioritize the updater process. this speeds up things.
* the progress goes up to 50% and then no further but it actually finishes all fine in the end
* at least some versions of the updater did stop when the screen locked. keep it unlocked to finish the update. this might have been fixed in the meantime and you might be affected or not idk

Search this thread for more details. For me the updater does its job just fine.
I've migrated from a Moto G5, so I'm very used to using TWRP for pretty much everything.
I was wondering if it wouldn't be faster to just sideload the updated ROM - like the initial installation, or would that end up resetting everything?

bleh815

May 6, 2010
Google Pixel 7
I've migrated from a Moto G5, so I'm very used to using TWRP for pretty much everything.
I was wondering if it wouldn't be faster to just sideload the updated ROM - like the initial installation, or would that end up resetting everything?
update via sideloading should work just fine, too. but you'd have to take care of gapps and magisk and whatever i guess. i'm lazy and pretty much enjoy the OTA updater as it lets me continue to use my phone while things are just happening. then it's just one reboot and all is settled.

Horrible Username

Jun 16, 2018
update via sideloading should work just fine, too. but you'd have to take care of gapps and magisk and whatever i guess. i'm lazy and pretty much enjoy the OTA updater as it lets me continue to use my phone while things are just happening. then it's just one reboot and all is settled.
I overlooked the option to prioritze updates, so I'll give that a go.
If it's normal for OTA updates to take a while, then I'll be happy with it - like I said, "I'm new here"
I'm also guessing once a month is probably good enough for updating anyways

bleh815

May 6, 2010
Google Pixel 7
I overlooked the option to prioritze updates, so I'll give that a go.
If it's normal for OTA updates to take a while, then I'll be happy with it - like I said, "I'm new here"
I'm also guessing once a month is probably good enough for updating anyways
Use the changelog to determine what has changed. Builds with new ecurity updates from upstream usually arrive arround mid of month.

Dec 8, 2022
Hello Guys, I'm using this ROM since about a week and its really nice! So first of all, nice work!

But sometimes I get random reboots. Does anyone also have this issue?
At first I thought it was the Lawnchair Launcher so I uninstalled it, but today it happened again about 3-4 times.
Today I didn't notice it when it happened, I only saw it because I couldn't unlock with fingerprint, only with unlock pattern.

days before this happened, the lock screen hung for a few seconds. then the Lineage OS boot logo appeared and then I could use my phone again.

I read about sending a logcat log before the reboot, but I'm not sure how to do this, because when it happens, I dont recognize it, and then I think its to late?

I'm using the latest build from 07.12.22

Hope you can help me!

Dec 8, 2022
Ha! I got a Log by using adb over wifi. so enclosed you can see the logcat for about the last half hour.
I think it got some problems with power manager service?

Edit: seems like I cant attach files.
I try a link to dropbox now, and I'll send you two further log files from the following crashes:
Log files

Last edited:
Reactions: andrew2432

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @aleasto Could you update the info in OP for LOS 21?
    Thanks for your advise.
    I have been following the gerrit pretty closely...

I have gotten help from the devs to some degree, but smart ass remarks usually make me retort in kind, and for whatever reason asking for help or pointing out issues isn't welcome. I have been building for myself without releasing, had made a few changes I really liked right before the new year, was working on a public release for whenever the last google update released, which now has been 14.0.0_r28 based--then something changed in their import process somewhere because syncing and building with new tag imports like I have been doing for years now suddenly isn't smooth any more since sometime in January.

L21 had a perfect repo two weeks ago, could run your commands and leave it running without having to watch for anything and get a fully operation build, as far as Redfin is concerned from my testing, even though it was 14.0.0_r25 based, so I was going to use that to bring an pure AOSP offering public I have been working on now with the r28 aosp sources...

anyway, as of right now, a build from a fresh sync from late last night has made it to 39% so far... we will see
    I just upgraded my new Pixel 5 to LineageOS 21. I followed the upgrade wiki and it was seamless.

I used MindTheGapps 14.

My phone works great and I now have all of the latest security updates!

Thank You LineageOS!
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Informations :
    • This ROM uses source built kernel, kernel modules, boot kernel modules (vendor_boot) and vendor image.
    • This ROM bundles the latest firmware so you don't have to worry about updating firmware.
    • To use the eSIM you need to install GApps
    Instructions :
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • None!
    Contributors
    mikeioannina
    aleasto
    The LineageOS team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 13
    New build out
    The final checkups before official rolls out.
    We've also managed to remove the need for flashing vendor_boot.img so now the install instructions are back in line with other pixels.
    New build out
    • Feb 2021 security patch
    • Update modem firmware from the T-Mobile factory images to enable 5G Standalone.
      Google only did this for T-Mobile images (RQ1C.210205.006), but it doesn't seem to negatively affect non T-Mobile users, thus I'm including it in the generic build (RQ1A.210205.004 based).
    New build out
    Enable Adaptive Sound, Live Captions, Now Playing, Screen Attention pixel features.
    These all work without gapps, and all process data offline.
    Bluetooth HD Audio fixed in the next build