• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][RIVER][NIGHTLIES] LineageOS 17.1

Search This thread

lcdial

Aug 5, 2020
Start EDIT 2:
I got it working. Googling, I found this thread with a suggestion to turn off "Tethering hardware acceleration" found in "Developer options." Other suggestions in this thread did not work including to reset wireless settings (which I did).

I still have issues with my VPN but this may be specific to the app and unrelated to the tethering issue. At least, tethering my PC through my phone now, I can VPN from my PC to my network and ping/ssh to clients in that network.
END EDIT 2

I believe I just ran into this issue in which the phone is unable provide internet to another device by tethering (USB, wifi, or bluetooth) and just making the attempt disrupts data on the phone. I can get data on the phone back if I turn off tethering and then toggle data off and on.

I first observed this behavior on the july 12 build. I am uncertain if I used tethering on the june 14 build but booting to the june 14 build now, I have the same issue.

I don't use tethering frequently, but I do rely on having the ability to do so when needed so I'd like to revert back to 16.

Is there any issue with reverting to lineage-16.0-20200325-nightly-river-signed.zip on the slot that currently has the june 14 build on it?

EDIT looks like reverting to 16 is not possible without factory reset/wiping data. Also my carrier/account allow tethering and when testing just now on an recently updated ios device tethering works just fine.

EDIT 1 another possibly related symptom is that my strongswan split tunnel vpn will connect as usual (when using my carrier LTE data), but the app that uses the vpn does not pass data. I do not lose data access for other apps in this case.

Thank you! I had the same issue and turning off the hardware acceleration fixed it for me as well!

BennTech

Mar 10, 2006
Anybody else having Bluetooth issues with LineageOS 17.1 on Moto G7?

Ever since installing, my Bluetooth occasionally drops connection to car stereo or laptop. Have to manually reconnect or sometimes restart Bluetooth or phone. Two of my Bluetooth speakers now have issue where they connect then immediately drop. Fixed that with Tasker Profile to force connection after it first sees affected speakers.

I finally gave up on LineageOS 17.1 and reverted back to 16.0. Tired of loosing Bluetooth connections. Tired of Bluetooth not working and having to restart it. Furthermore, as 17.1 updates progress, Tasker usability is deteriorating: can no longer mount /system as writable, can no longer turn WiFi on/off. Almost as annoying as Bluetooth issues, camera cannot save to SD card. Doesn't tell you, just never saves your photos. Why even have that option if it can't do it? Just to screw with people and lose their photos? Couple of other minor OS issues, like LineageOS updates fail and have to be re-downloaded and re-installed.

Also tried Havoc-OS, which I believe is based on LineageOS. Unfortunately, same issues. Shame. LineageOS 16.0 is missing features that I really like in LineageOS 17.1 and Havoc-OS. Admittedly, 16.0 has some annoyances itself, but at least everything works: Bluetooth doesn't randomly fail, Tasker can control WiFi, camera can save to SD.

Sep 18, 2019
I finally gave up on LineageOS 17.1 and reverted back to 16.0. Tired of loosing Bluetooth connections. Tired of Bluetooth not working and having to restart it. ...

In the event you're motivated to try 17+ again in the future:

About the time of you June post about bluetooth troubles, I was having more trouble than "normal." There were a few updates that seemed relevant to bluetooth shortly after that so I updated and removed/redid all my past bluetooth connection configs. After that it has been closer to "normal." I have had at least one unexplained disconnect since then; however, I believe I just redid the connection and it hasn't occurred again. I have yet to get a logcat after one of these events to submit with a bug report.

Unfortunately for me with moto devices (not just the mg7) and lineageos, "normal" consists of redoing my bluetooth connection settings after every update. For some reason my vehicle does not like it when I update and usually refuses to connect to a saved connection config after an update. That might explain why I don't observe the issue as frequently as you have.

EDIT: I also "reset" my wireless connections (which includes bluetooth) when I was trying to figure out why tethering had stopped working. Settings, advanced, reset options, reset wi-fi, mobile & bluetooth.

Regarding the SD card, others have pointed out that AOSP/googles support of using a SD card is poor. I tried it anyways and learned that I should not trust google/android for anything important. It works well enough to get by, it can be a fun toy, but all the talent that lineageos developers have x 1000 isn't enough to fix google's turds.

Last edited:

crazy4jack

Apr 12, 2019
so im on stock andorid 10, is there any advatnages to go for Lineage or Pixel ROM? better battery maybe? better photos? any?

BennTech

Mar 10, 2006
About the time of you June post about bluetooth troubles, I was having more trouble than "normal." There were a few updates that seemed relevant to bluetooth shortly after that so I updated and removed/redid all my past bluetooth connection configs. After that it has been closer to "normal." I have had at least one unexplained disconnect since then; however, I believe I just redid the connection and it hasn't occurred again. I have yet to get a logcat after one of these events to submit with a bug report.

Regarding the SD card, others have pointed out that AOSP/googles support of using a SD card is poor. I tried it anyways and learned that I should not trust google/android for anything important. It works well enough to get by, it can be a fun toy, but all the talent that lineageos developers have x 1000 isn't enough to fix google's turds.

Unfortunately, in the few weeks since reverting back, I have encountered twice when Bluetooth disconnected and needed to be manually connected. Dark mode, which I prefer, is barely partially functional. Most apps, particularly widgets, aren't doing dark mode at all. I have that annoying double Privacy Guard plus Android security settings, and the always-on Privacy Guard notification about apps not having access to personal data.

On the positive side for 16.1, camera photos to SD card works again (unlike 17), which is critical to my backups--I don't use my Google account for that. Tasker has access to WiFi again, whereas on 17 it has recently lost access (yes, I checked all the permissions), and SmartStay+ works again (defunct facial detection app). Both are critical to my configuration. Screen actually times out again, whereas on 17 it stayed on all the time.

So couple of annoyances going back to 16.1, but huge functionality benefits over 17 upgrade for me. YMMV.

Dec 31, 2020
Installation Guide Lineage OS 17.1

0) install copypartions.zip
1) Put the phone in bootloader mode
1.2) Connect phone to PC with a USB cable.
1.3) In a Command prompt window, run "fastboot getvar all".
1.4) Make slot A the active slot "fastboot set_active a".
1.5) Boot TWRP "fastboot boot twrp.img" (use the file name on your PC for the TWRP img file)
1.6) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to A
Format data in TWRP
Wipe /system, /data, & cache (not internal storage)
2) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to B
3) Reboot to bootloader and Boot TWRP "fastboot boot twrp.img" [be sure to be on slot b]
4) Flash lineage zip
4.1) Flash twrp installer zip [this is important!]
4.2) Reboot to bootloader from TWRP.
5) fastboot -w (this will wipe your userdata partition)
6) Boot to system
7) When in system run enable rooted debugging in developer options
on your computer type adb root
and adb disable-verity
8) Reboot to twrp and install gapps of choice..
9) Reboot to system

for root:
10) reboot to TWRP
11) Backup Boot
12) reboot to system, install Magisk Manager APK
13) Run Magisk Manager, [install] (next to magisk not installed), [select and Patch a File] choose the TWRP backup of Boot, Magisk manager will save the pached boot file in your downloads
14) Pull the patched boot named magisk_patched.img on your PC
15) Reboot to bootloader and run fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img (ignore not signed error)
16) reboot

Thank you. Your instructions helped me a lot. (I almost missed step 0) After hard bricking the phone following other instructions, I was able to install LineageOS successfully on moto G7 river (XT1962-1) I did run into some errors, but in the end everything seems to work fine. I do want to mention that it's IMPORTANT to have an active sim card installed and have the phone connected to a carrier network (and update the carrier settings in Google play store.- No need to login ) before flashing Lineage. I learned the hard way that there was NO LTE (4G) connection, no wifi calling and very poor signal after my first installation. Had to do it all again and it all works great. (including WIFI calling) I'm on Verizon btw. Hope this helps someone!

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
About to install for the first time. Any concept of "stable" builds to install vs. nightly which could be seen as bleeding edge with more potential to run into issues? I definitely want my first experience to be a smooth one. The only options for download I see currently are from the 17th, 10th, 3rd, and 27th, all nightlies.

If it's nothing but nightlies, should I start with the oldest since that presumably has had the most usage and I don't see any reports of troubles here?

Related question: Does the updater update you from nightly to nightly? And since the nightlies in actuality appear to be weeklies, does that mean I could use the updater weekly? Or going back to my original question, does the updater have some notion of "stable" builds and those are less frequent, sort of akin to android security updates.

omino

Dec 23, 2005
Charlotte
In the event you're motivated to try 17+ again in the future:

Unfortunately for me with moto devices (not just the mg7) and lineageos, "normal" consists of redoing my bluetooth connection settings after every update. For some reason my vehicle does not like it when I update and usually refuses to connect to a saved connection config after an update. That might explain why I don't observe the issue as frequently as you have.

EDIT: I also "reset" my wireless connections (which includes bluetooth) when I was trying to figure out why tethering had stopped working. Settings, advanced, reset options, reset wi-fi, mobile & bluetooth.

I have been using this ROM since it was originally released and I keep it up to date with the weekly releases. I have zero issues with Bluetooth.
In fact, I think this is an awesome ROM. Thanks for keep developing it!

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
If I've got magisk installed, is it safer to uninstall magisk prior to letting the OTA install? Is there a better/safer way? I've read that in some cases, magisk survives the OTA, in other cases, a bootloop results, and I think I've also seen that magisk just gets lost. My phone is encrypted if that matters (didn't really intend that, but oh well). I can back up all my stuff with Titanium but if there's any risk of hosing myself by applying OTA's with magisk there, it's probably simple enough to run the magisk uninstaller, then take the OTA, then reinstall magisk. And my assumption is that uninstalling magisk would make the OTA "happy" if it would be "unhappy" with magisk present.

On my old stock + magisk phone, I just avoided OTA's entirely because I didn't want to run the risk of having to set up my phone again and possibly lose something in the process. I'd like to become confident enough in the process that I no longer avoid OTA's. So any input to help me in that regard would be awesome.

FWIW I have LineageOS for microG. Hope it's okay to ask about that variant here. I'm not sure where else I'd ask.

If I've got magisk installed, is it safer to uninstall magisk prior to letting the OTA install? Is there a better/safer way? I've read that in some cases, magisk survives the OTA, in other cases, a bootloop results, and I think I've also seen that magisk just gets lost. My phone is encrypted if that matters (didn't really intend that, but oh well). I can back up all my stuff with Titanium but if there's any risk of hosing myself by applying OTA's with magisk there, it's probably simple enough to run the magisk uninstaller, then take the OTA, then reinstall magisk. And my assumption is that uninstalling magisk would make the OTA "happy" if it would be "unhappy" with magisk present.

On my old stock + magisk phone, I just avoided OTA's entirely because I didn't want to run the risk of having to set up my phone again and possibly lose something in the process. I'd like to become confident enough in the process that I no longer avoid OTA's. So any input to help me in that regard would be awesome.

FWIW I have LineageOS for microG. Hope it's okay to ask about that variant here. I'm not sure where else I'd ask.
I just did my first OTA update today and Magisk+Modules did not carry over to the other slot. They were originally installed on Slot B, but when the device switched to A, it wasn't installed. That goes for all of my boot image mods, like TWRP. It was replaced with the stock LineageOS recovery. I don't know if it will do the same thing on another OTA update that switches the slot again, but we will have to see what happens next week.

dcybergeek

Nov 13, 2018
Installation Guide Lineage OS 17.1

0) install copypartions.zip
1.5) Boot TWRP "fastboot boot twrp.img" (use the file name on your PC for the TWRP img file)
Format data in TWRP
2) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to B
3) Reboot to bootloader and Boot TWRP "fastboot boot twrp.img" [be sure to be on slot b]
4) Flash lineage zip
4.1) Flash twrp installer zip [this is important!]
4.2) Reboot to bootloader from TWRP.
6) Boot to system
7) When in system run enable rooted debugging in developer options
on your computer type adb root
and adb disable-verity
8) Reboot to twrp and install gapps of choice..
9) Reboot to system

for root:
10) reboot to TWRP
11) Backup Boot
12) reboot to system, install Magisk Manager APK
13) Run Magisk Manager, [install] (next to magisk not installed), [select and Patch a File] choose the TWRP backup of Boot, Magisk manager will save the pached boot file in your downloads
14) Pull the patched boot named magisk_patched.img on your PC
15) Reboot to bootloader and run fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img (ignore not signed error)
16) reboot

Thank you. Your instructions helped me too :) TWRP/ROOT and Lineage all working fine. Slight ROM freeze of 2-3 secs sometimes but bearable to me.

Edit: Device - Moto G7 - XT1962-6

Last edited:

dcybergeek

Nov 13, 2018
If you update with lineage updater you will lose magisk / twrp

The best method to keep these is the manual flash / update method.

Flash lineage zip + twrp.zip
Reboot recovery
Flash magisk + gapps zip
Reboot system

Hi, by this manual flash you mean. Flash Stock ROM/Copy partitions and then flash Lineage or simply flash Lineage over existing Lineage?

Last edited:
Hi, by this manual flash you mean. Flash Stock ROM/Copy partitions and then flash Lineage or simply flash Lineage over existing Lineage?
I assume that by manual flash they mean flashing Lineage over lineage. Like said before, get the updated Lineage Zip and flash that, along with the other zips in the aforementioned order. You shouldn't need to flash copy partitions again. I'm pretty sure you only need to do that once when you begin flashing custom roms.

Reactions: dcybergeek

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
I just did my first OTA update today and Magisk+Modules did not carry over to the other slot. They were originally installed on Slot B, but when the device switched to A, it wasn't installed. That goes for all of my boot image mods, like TWRP. It was replaced with the stock LineageOS recovery. I don't know if it will do the same thing on another OTA update that switches the slot again, but we will have to see what happens next week.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just did my update and had the same experience, except I just boot into twrp from adb rather than permanently installing it though. Updating was more seamless than I feared it could be though... It updated just fine and then I just had to boot into twrp and install the magisk zip. Magisk modules were in tact after reinstalling magisk itself though.

Reactions: NTGDeveloper

dcybergeek

Nov 13, 2018
I assume that by manual flash they mean flashing Lineage over lineage. Like said before, get the updated Lineage Zip and flash that, along with the other zips in the aforementioned order. You shouldn't need to flash copy partitions again. I'm pretty sure you only need to do that once when you begin flashing custom roms.

Thanks a lot for this info :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

Moto G7
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 16.0 thread for the Motorola Moto G7, codename river.

Join our Moto G7 Development Telegram Group!

How to Install:
    Please follow the instructions on our Official LineageOS Wiki page here.
    IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2

If you don't follow these instructions, please don't expect support here. We also don't support 3rd party addons (Magisk/XPosed/Dolby/Viper/etc.), so please don't seek support if you use these.

Notes:
    • Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine with SafetyNet patcher modules, though is not supported.)

Download:

XDA:DevDB Information
    river-lineageos, ROM for the Moto G7

Contributors
    erfanoabdi, SyberHexen
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-11-16
    Last Updated 2020-08-09
    Copy Partitions Zip
    - courtesy @ @filipepferraz
    Download
    I had the same issue. It's not the size of the partition, its the order the software is installed and the reboots done during the process. I joined the telegram group for the G7 and found some very helpful information related to the installation of LineageOS 16.0 on the G7. Here are the steps for a clean flash.

Very important - Flash the copy-partitionsAB.zip to replicate the slot A and slot B layout.
    - Clean flash:
    2) Flash lineage zip
    3) Flash twrp installer zip
    3.5) Format data while in TWRP.
    4) Reboot to bootloader from TWRP.
    6) Reboot to TWRP recovery (it should be installed when you flashed the twrp-installer zip)
    6.5) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to A
    7) Flash opengapps zip (use the arm64 version)
    7.5) Flash magisk zip (optional, only if you want root)
    8) Reboot system on slot A

The G7 is my first A/B slot device and I struggled with the configuration. TWRP recovery is part of the boot partition. Installing the lineage zip, then the TWRP installer zip seems to be the required order. Then, rebooting TWRP from the installed image works to install OpenGApps. The active slot is very important, too. Many times during my installation ordeal, I would think that slot a was active, but it was slot b. I installed the copy-partitions zip when we were made aware of no bootloader on slot b a few weeks ago.

Good luck.

I flashed mine in almost the same way. So far loving LOS 16 w/ pico gapps

Coming from stock it is automatically on slot A. Slot B on my device is blank because I clean flashed motos latest firmware.
    Format data in TWRP

2) Flash lineage zip
    3) Flash twrp installer zip
    3.5) Format data while in TWRP.
    4) Reboot to bootloader from TWRP.
    6) Reboot to recovery (TWRP will load on slot B automatically)
    Slot automatically changes to B on reboot (B was set to active during LOS install; slot A is set to inactive so it doesn't boot anymore)
    6.5) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to A
    7) Flash opengapps zip (use the arm64 version)
    fastboot -w
    7.5) Flash magisk zip (optional, only if you want root)
    I left out root this time.
    8) Reboot system on slot A
    Boot system (no slot choice B is the only active slot).

My only gripe is that updates through the LOS updater menu take like 30 minutes. They finish fine but half an hour is that normal?
    Hello,

I have received this week my new phone : Moto G7 (river) (xt1962-5)
    And, as a lot of people here, it took me a lot of tries and error messages to manage to just install LineageOS 16.0 + Gapps.
    The LineageOS official procedure never worked for me.
    Here are my learnings :

My phone came with the stock OS (build PPO29.80-29) on slot A.
    It automatically installed a Motorola OTA update (build PPO29.80-66) on slot B.
    So at that point both slots were populated. (This is a pre-requirement)
    Then I unlocked the bootloader.
    The slot B is the one I wanted to install LineageOS because this is the slot with the most up to date secondary partitions (like /vendor /radio)

Here is the only procedure I could repeat without any bugs/error messages :
    * Boot to bootloader
    * "fastboot --set-active=a"
    * "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img" (temporay boot of TWRP on slot A)
    * format /data
    * Reboot to bootloader
    * "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img" (temporay boot of TWRP on slot A)
    * Wipe /data /cache /system (will apply automatically to slot B)
    * "adb sideload lineage-16.0-20200207-nightly-river-signed.zip" (will apply automatically to slot B)
    * Reboot to recovery slot B (LineageOS recovery)
    * Install update : "adb sideload open_gapps-arm64-9.0-pico-20200207.zip" (will apply automatically to slot B)
    * Stay inside the LineageOS recovery and do a factory reset
    * Reboot
    * Enjoy

The only thing I missed is that I was not able to do a backup of the stock ROM, so I will not be able to update secondary partitions (like /vendor /radio) in the future.