Development [ROM][OFFICIAL][sake][11] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

sabeltand

Jan 14, 2022
You might try to flash it with TWRP. If this leads to the same issue you might at least get an error message telling you what went wrong. But to be honest the zip/script that you found seems to be the better option anyway.

I checked the fastboot oem get-hwid on my device with stock rom. It returns the following:

(bootloader) HWID = 7

(bootloader) === ID Info List ===
(bootloader) -1 : UNKNOWN
(bootloader) 0 : EVB
(bootloader) 1 : EVB2
(bootloader) 2 : SR
(bootloader) 3 : preER/ER1
(bootloader) 4 : ER2
(bootloader) 5 : prePR/PR1
(bootloader) 6 : PR2
(bootloader) 7 : MP
OKAY [ 0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.001s

I checked the script. What it seems to be doing here is just checking that you have the right device before flashing. If really just the get-hwid does not work and you are sure that you have the right files, you could probably just remove that check from the script and it will start flashing. (on you own risk)
But lets check first if this is a general fastboot issue.
What operating system do you use? Seems to be a linux system? What distro?
What does the command "fastboot devices" return?
If that shows a device, what does the command "fastboot oem get-hwid" return?
Also try "fastboot oem device-info".
Ok, I tried flashing TWRP the same way I think I did it the other night:

[email protected]:~/Zenfone 8$ sudo fastboot flash boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0-I006D.img
[sudo] adgangskode for morten:
target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
sending 'boot_b' (98304 KB)...
OKAY [ 4.072s]
writing 'boot_b'...
OKAY [ 0.248s]
finished. total time: 4.320s

Right now I have a very expensive black mirror with the "ASUS" logo in the middle. No matter if I choose START or "Reboot to recovery" in the bootloader, it ends up displaying the ASUS logo and nothing else happens :(

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8

[email protected]:~/Zenfone 8$ sudo fastboot flash boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0-I006D.img
OKAY [ 4.072s]
writing 'boot_b'...
OKAY [ 0.248s]

Right now I have a very expensive black mirror with the "ASUS" logo in the middle. No matter if I choose START or "Reboot to recovery" in the bootloader, it ends up displaying the ASUS logo and nothing else happens :(
LineageOS and TWRP caused me some trouble in the past. Exactly your issue with the Asus logo. What I did to get out of that was using the steps I posted in my other reply. Maybe your fastboot driver isn't working properly?

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
I am on Ubuntu:

[email protected]:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal
[email protected]:~$ uname -r
5.4.0-94-generic
[email protected]:~$ fastboot --version
fastboot version 1:8.1.0+r23-5ubuntu2
Installed as /usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/fastboot
From my experience fastboot can be rather old in Ubuntu. I can remember that I had to update fastboot manually once in the past while I was using ubuntu because there was an issue.
Can you try the current Fedora version? In a VM or with live dvd?

[email protected]:~$ fastboot devices
M4AIB7625957YHL fastboot
[email protected]:~$ fastboot oem get-hwid
FAILED (remote: Unable to open fastboot HAL)
finished. total time: 0.000s
[email protected]:~$ fastboot oem device-info
FAILED (remote: Unable to open fastboot HAL)
finished. total time: 0.000s
Ok so the device is recognized but strange that the other commands fail. I still would suggest to try the newer version of fastboot.

I will try flashing TWRP recovery and flashing the zip again and be back to you.
Let´s try to fix fastboot and the script first.

topaza

Aug 12, 2009

OKAY [ 4.072s]
writing 'boot_b'...
OKAY [ 0.248s]

Unfortunately two things went wrong here:

- booting the TWRP image instead of flashing it would have been the better option
- as stated in my last post it would have been better to check/fix fastboot issues first

Can you still access the device via fastboot?

//EDIT: Turn the device off and press VOL-UP + POWER. You should still be able to see a menu? If so, stay there and try "fastboot devices".

Last edited:

sabeltand

Jan 14, 2022
Unfortunately two things went wrong here:

- booting the TWRP image instead of flashing it would have been the better option
- as stated in my last post it would have been better to check/fix fastboot issues first

Can you still access the device via fastboot?

//EDIT: Turn the device off and press VOL-UP + POWER. You should still be able to see a menu? If so, stay there and try "fastboot devices".

Success!

First things first I must state that I am an idiot :)

The problem seems to be that I always entered the lineage recovery and "Enter Fastboot" from there to end up in some kind of lineage fastboot mode, while just staying at the bootloader menu gives me fastboot connection too. Over a decade of fiddling with Cyanogenmod and LineageOS on various devices and now i get that I am a slow learner :)

So, just in the menu at boot the fastboot oem get-hwid also spits out the correct stuff.

sudo fastboot oem get-hwid
(bootloader) HWID = 7

OKAY [ 0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.002s

And now I have successfully gone back to stock with the update_image.sh script. It stalled halfway through the first two tries, but after connecting the phone to the USB-A instead of the USB-C on the laptop, i ran all the way through.

Thanks for your help! I owe you guys a beer, or maybe 20 :)

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
Success!

First things first I must state that I am an idiot :)

The problem seems to be that I always entered the lineage recovery and "Enter Fastboot" from there to end up in some kind of lineage fastboot mode, while just staying at the bootloader menu gives me fastboot connection too. Over a decade of fiddling with Cyanogenmod and LineageOS on various devices and now i get that I am a slow learner :)

So, just in the menu at boot the fastboot oem get-hwid also spits out the correct stuff.

sudo fastboot oem get-hwid
(bootloader) HWID = 7

OKAY [ 0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.002s

And now I have successfully gone back to stock with the update_image.sh script. It stalled halfway through the first two tries, but after connecting the phone to the USB-A instead of the USB-C on the laptop, i ran all the way through.

Thanks for your help! I owe you guys a beer, or maybe 20 :)

Great to hear that everything is working again! :)

Does everything look like before unlocking the boot loader or is it still visible that the boot loader is unlocked?

What does "fastboot oem device-info" say?
If it still says that boot loader is unlocked, can you relock it with "fastboot oem lock"? (I think this will reset the device to factory defaults, so do not try this if you have data saved on the phone that you do not want to lose!)

Last edited:

adam.718

Nov 15, 2021
Phone not booting after installing the January 14th update.
Lineage 18 (Update January 14th, 2022) on Asus ZenFone 8 is not booting after installing the latest update.
Stuck on the Lineage logo loading screen.
Not sure what I need to do, Please help!!
@ZVNexus it's kinda urgent :(

Reactions: jaalai

sabeltand

Jan 14, 2022
Great to hear that everything is working again! :)

Does everything look like before unlocking the boot loader or is it still visible that the boot loader is unlocked?

What does "fastboot oem device-info" say?
If it still says that boot loader is unlocked, can you relock it with "fastboot oem lock"? (I think this will reset the device to factory defaults, so do not try this if you have data saved on the phone that you do not want to lose!)
Now the lineage recovery is gone and instead there is stock recovery. If I go into recovery and enter fastboot from that menu it seems like fastboot stil has some issues:

$ sudo fastboot devices M4AIB7625957YHL fastboot $ sudo fastboot oem device-info ... FAILED (remote: Command not supported in default implementation) finished. total time: 0.000s

But if I just stay at the bootloader menu and fastboot from there, it seems to work:

$ sudo fastboot devices M4AIB7625957YHL fastboot $ sudo fastboot oem device-info ... (bootloader) Verity mode: true (bootloader) Device unlocked: true (bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false (bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true (bootloader) Device authorized: false (bootloader) Device authorized2: false (bootloader) WaterMask unlock: N (bootloader) XBL: (bootloader) ABL: Post-CS3-1-WW-user (bootloader) SSN: M4AIB7625957YHL (bootloader) ISN: HB13EADEM04Y0DY009GA (bootloader) IMEI: - (bootloader) IMEI2: - (bootloader) CID: ASUS (bootloader) COUNTRY: EU (bootloader) Project: ZS590KS (bootloader) DT ID: 109 (bootloader) SB: Y (bootloader) SBNR: Y (bootloader) DDR Manufacturer ID: 1 (bootloader) DDR Device Type: 8 (bootloader) TotalDMCounter: 4 (bootloader) DMCounter: 4 (bootloader) SlotARetryCounter: 0 (bootloader) SlotAUnbootableCounter: 0 (bootloader) SlotBRetryCounter: 0 (bootloader) SlotBUnbootableCounter: 0 (bootloader) BOOT_COUNT: 0 (bootloader) LOCK_COUNT: 0 (bootloader) Check_APDP: 0 (bootloader) rawdump_en: false (bootloader) Current Slot: a (bootloader) Slot_a bootable: Bootable (bootloader) AVB Verity: Enable (bootloader) Verify vbmeta ret: 0 (bootloader) ABL_FTM: FALSE OKAY [ 0.026s] finished. total time: 0.026s

However, trying to relock with "fastboot oem lock" does not seem to work:

$ sudo fastboot oem lock ... FAILED (remote: unknown command) finished. total time: 0.001s

Last edited:

KKF32

Jun 17, 2016
Vienna
Phone not booting after installing the January 14th update.
Lineage 18 (Update January 14th, 2022) on Asus ZenFone 8 is not booting after installing the latest update.
Stuck on the Lineage logo loading screen.
Not sure what I need to do, Please help!!
@ZVNexus it's kinda urgent :(
kinda same problem here...

LOS stuck on boot animaiton

Today I tried a fresh install to my Zenfone 8 , flashed a new LOS4microg recovery, formated data and sidloaded a new LOS4microg image plus magisk zip.
Everything worked fine, no errors but at booting it stucks at boot animation.(waited 10 min)

Managed to get into recovery again, formated again and flash normal LOS this time, without magisk, but... same boot animation loop.

How to get out of this? Maybe temporary boot TWRP and advanced wipe?
I have no clue at this point, no real experience with TWRP, advice would be very welcome.

Reactions: adam.718

kimiivanovic

Jan 8, 2022
kinda same problem here...

LOS stuck on boot animaiton

Today I tried a fresh install to my Zenfone 8 , flashed a new LOS4microg recovery, formated data and sidloaded a new LOS4microg image plus magisk zip.
Everything worked fine, no errors but at booting it stucks at boot animation.(waited 10 min)

Managed to get into recovery again, formated again and flash normal LOS this time, without magisk, but... same boot animation loop.

How to get out of this? Maybe temporary boot TWRP and advanced wipe?
I have no clue at this point, no real experience with TWRP, advice would be very welcome.
Thanks for your help and for figuring out, what the problem might have been!
As I already updated here in post #254, it seemed, that the builds from january this year didnt work for me, but when i tried the builds from december last year, everything worked!

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/rzc37p as I posted the question on reddit as well, I want to specify, that IF the problem were the depending on what build I used, then I want to make clear, that with LOS build 20220107 it did not work out, as well with losmicrog20220108. What did work out was the losformicrog build 20211222, which might be corresponding to the "normal" los 20211217. Maybe these information help somebody else.
This might help you, at least it worked out in my case :)

Reactions: KKF32

roomanus

Aug 30, 2014
Freiburg

OKAY [ 4.072s]
writing 'boot_b'...
OKAY [ 0.248s]

Hey there,
you have to read and execute the instructions regarding flashing twrp carefully:
you have to boot it first, then when booted flash it via "Install Recovery Ramdisk option." this worked in my case.
But, before that, you'll need original vendor_boot.img and probably boot.img (not shure, i tried so many different things)...

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
Now the lineage recovery is gone and instead there is stock recovery. If I go into recovery and enter fastboot from that menu it seems like fastboot stil has some issues:

$ sudo fastboot devices M4AIB7625957YHL fastboot $ sudo fastboot oem device-info ... FAILED (remote: Command not supported in default implementation) finished. total time: 0.000s

But if I just stay at the bootloader menu and fastboot from there, it seems to work:
Actually I would just ignore this. There is no reason to access fastboot from the recovery. Recovery may fail like you already experienced. If you cannot even access the bootloader you have an expensive brick anyway ;) (but not seen a single phone where that ever happened) So if fastboot works in the bootloader everything is fine! :)
However, trying to relock with "fastboot oem lock" does not seem to work:
Thanks for testing. I read that ASUS is preventing relocking on other phones. So maybe they also do this here.
There are some other similar commands that you could try like "fastboot flashing lock" or "fastboot oem relock". But I think at least one of them is rather old and will probably not work. Maybe ASUS just wants us to stay unlocked so they can refuse warranty.

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Well not sure how, I tried to restart the phone several times, and the last one I kept VOL DOWN pressed => phone restarted to the previous build (20220107)
That's how A/B works, if it fails to boot enough times it will switch to the previous slot, which for you had the previous build.

As for why the build is failing for people, it looks like it's broken on every single device, and only if the user never used ADB. It will be resolved in today's build: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_system_core/+/321935

Last edited:

jaalai

Sep 18, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Reactions: ianseer

topaza

Aug 12, 2009
Did anyone try to get ASUS Cam from this Thread working with LOS + MicroG? (or GAPPS)

eVen123

Jul 31, 2018
I can't for the life of me, get this to work.

Flashing the supplied sake_vendor_boot.img makes me unable to boot to TWRP at all (even by feeding it through "fastboot boot twrp.img" command). It just takes me to ASUS logo.

If I try to flash it without flasight the "vendor_boot", it just fails to install. Tried several versions, upgraded to 12 (didn't try to flash over android 12 though), downgraded back to android 11. Nothing works for me.

I got further trying to install LOS4microg - some errors during installation, got to the "white screen" after booting. I'll reattempt now, posting what I find after. Currently flashing fresh "WW-ZS590KS-31.0803.0403.54-DEV-2109-M3.13.24.46-SM8350_0000110-1.1.25-user_20210831-release_for_google" version ("update_image.sh").

I am not confident this will work. I managed to install ArrowOS somewhat smoothly, but LOS is giving me a lot of issues.

Hey there,
you have to read and execute the instructions regarding flashing twrp carefully:
you have to boot it first, then when booted flash it via "Install Recovery Ramdisk option." this worked in my case.
But, before that, you'll need original vendor_boot.img and probably boot.img (not shure, i tried so many different things)...
What boot.img are you refering to?
I tried flashing vendor boot (fastboot flash vendor_boot .\sake_vendor_boot.img) like stated here and than booting into twrp (fastboot boot .\twrp.img) like stated here. But after reboot it stucks at ASUS logo, till I hardrestartet it. Happens everytime. booting to TWRP without flashing vendor results in the same outcome.
Btw. I had the same outcome even bevor flashing LOS recovery and LOS.

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there a way to set display refresh rate to 60 Hz permanently? I saw an option in stock ROM, haven't found it in LOS so far.
    yes, open a command prompt/terminal window, type adb shell and then these two commands

settings put system peak_refresh_rate 60 This sets the maximum refresh rate.
    settings put system min_refresh_rate 60 This sets the minimum refresh rate.
    (solution from @vishnu350's reply earlier in this thread)

From my understanding, by default on LOS, it changes between 60, 90 and 120 depending on the content and your interraction with the screen (it normally goes to 120 when you are touching and then back to 60 after a few seconds). So maximum would be 120 and minimum is 60hz.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. A direct link to kernel sources can be found here. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
    Download:

Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed.
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless.)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.
    Can i ask you guys whic happs do you use for camera? does the LOS build lose in terms of camera quality? really hyped about this as i got my ZF8 today.
    Right now it's just Camera2 but I intend to look into shipping ASUS Camera tonight instead.
    Can't tell as I can't make the LED work, even after several factory resets :(
    I've fixed the LED for notifications, see https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:sake-led
    hey ZVNexus, thanks for your work. I use your first no gms build. Wehre can i find the new one? Only GMS now?
    A lot of people use LOS without google apps....

Thanks and best wishes
    I don't have the bandwidth to upload both so I just upload what I personally use. Officials come out starting around Friday, so those will be without GMS and have a regular upload schedule.
    I'm using it daily for 2 weeks:
    ++
    no Ramdump (05-2021 batch)
    better fluidity compared to stock
    very stable
    battery improvement compared to stock (not huge)
    no Google :)

--
    can't use BT earbuds with aptx codec during calls from phone or app (Signal, Whatsapp, Wechat), but all listening functions works well (spotify, new pipe, vocal messages, etc...). works fine with AAC/SBC earbuds.
    can't use the LED notification (works for ZVNexus tho)
    The LED works for battery stuff, not notifications. When the next weekly build rolls out this will resolve the issue: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_device_asus_sake/+/318068