Development [ROM][OFFICIAL][sake][12.1] LineageOS 19

Search This thread

RalfKr

Jun 5, 2022
Germany
Hi all,

firstly, thanks for the great work on this ROM.

I have recently upgraded to LineageOS for microG 19.1 following the instructions given above.
Using the build from 2022-05-05, I spent last week abroad in Austria and Slowenia, and found that data roaming was working in both countries.

In Austria, I noticed that the connection symbol in the status bar was often switching (sometimes even flickering) between data access / no data access, but Internet connection seemed stable nevertheless, because messengers and internet browser worked without issues.

For those who are interested:
My home provider is (German Telekom subsidiary) congstar and the roaming providers were Telemach in Slowenia and Magenta T in Austria. I am using Telekom APN data with MVN-type set to 'SPN' and MVNO-Value set to 'congstar' (but don't know if this makes any difference).

Reactions: chrisrevoltes

zlice0555

Aug 6, 2021
Updated which seemed to have some regressions. Had to do a rebuild and re-set everything up >=( but the issues are still there.

- SIM not being detected anymore? (which nukes battery life, and well, it's a fone)
- boot takes longer, it was pretty fast and now it just sits there for a minute (maybe because of SIM?)
- notifications that i could hide before aren't hiding in silent notifs

update: another long day, at least neobackup made it a bit easier. had to reinstall yet again. notifications are still annoying. been a while since ive used custom ROMs for my daily driver, i hope this isn't common now

Last edited:

zlice0555

Aug 6, 2021
Noticed the abysmal wifi range and saw GMS mentioned in this thread. But like kkf32 I don't see it on downloads or docs.

Any fix so I don't have to be right next to my router for a signal?

arnetheduck

Sep 13, 2010

semurel

Jun 3, 2022
Hi all,

Just a question - maybe not strictly related to Zenfone 8 but more to LineageOS:

I come from a Lineage 18 running on a Oneplus and now have a Lineage 19 on my Zenfone 8.

I'm a little surprised because it looks like that some features were present in LOS 18 but now missing in LOS 19:

- Cannot hide apps in the default luncher (trebuchet)
- Very poor default camera app compared to LOS18 (I don't speak about photo quality but features: very few option, no way to scan QR code and so on).

Any ideas why those things have changed? Is it related to Zenfone 8 only or all LOS 19 devices?

Thanks.

Winnie_LD

Oct 19, 2020
Hi all,

Just a question - maybe not strictly related to Zenfone 8 but more to LineageOS:

I come from a Lineage 18 running on a Oneplus and now have a Lineage 19 on my Zenfone 8.

I'm a little surprised because it looks like that some features were present in LOS 18 but now missing in LOS 19:

- Cannot hide apps in the default luncher (trebuchet)
- Very poor default camera app compared to LOS18 (I don't speak about photo quality but features: very few option, no way to scan QR code and so on).

Any ideas why those things have changed? Is it related to Zenfone 8 only or all LOS 19 devices?

Thanks.
Hey all,

A quick success report: been running 18.1 up to lineage-18.1-20220422 with great results - followed the instructions at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/sake/upgrade (step by step, exactly) to upgrade to lineage-19.1-20220603 (and corresponding mindthegapps).

Will be testing data roaming next week, the biggest annoyance in 18.1 for me (I live near a border) - will update with results when done.

Hi,
thanks a lot for your reports and questions. When switching from 18.1 to 19.1, did you manage to keep your apps and do they still work after upgrading?
Or did you have to reinstall certain apps, most of your apps, all of your apps?

Thank you and kind regards from a LOS fan!

valthunder

Dec 7, 2010
Hello people,
in my country i can only find the european version of zenfone 8: ZS590KS-2A009EU
is it able to run LineageOS?

Winnie_LD

Oct 19, 2020
Short report: Upgrading from LOS 18.1 to 19.1

Having installed LOS 18.1 just half a year ago, I was hesitating to undergo the complete procedure of reinstalling apps, request new activation codes for banking apps and not being sure, how different apps would function at all. With all the positive reports here nevertheless, I installed LOS 19.1 yesterday. Here's my report:

base:
Zenfone 8, European model, German provider
latest LOS 18.1 (2022-04-22)
no Gapps, no MicroG (at least I thought)
no root

procedure:
I followed official instructions on https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/sake/upgrade, downloaded latest 19.1 and rebooted in recovery mode.
I encountered the same error mentioned in the upgrade guide, counting would stop at 47%, then apparently no action for about 1-2 minutes and a success report afterwards.
So I rebooted the system and...
...got stuck on the ramdump screen!
I restarted the phone for 2 times and found it stuck on ramdump each time.
After the third restart, it restarted in recovery mode, so I decided to give it another try and chose "Apply update", then "Update from ADB" and sideloaded the upgrade zip again.
Same error (stuck at 47%, then success), I let it upgrade and chose "Reboot System" afterwards.
It took quite a while, but
IT FINALLY DID BOOT into LOS 19.1!
Just before being asked to type the SIM Pin, I got an error, something like "the GUI crashed" (I don't remember exactly), but I was able to enter the SIM Pin and my lock-screen Pin.
There I was.
LOS 19.1 working. I checked my apps and was glad to see everything was working just as I had left it on LOS 18.1!

caveat:
As written above, I had not installed Gapps, MicroG nor rooted the phone when installing LOS 18.1 for the first time.
Yet, I decided to install MicroG from F-Droid afterwards. Since only minor parts of MicroG ever worked, I had the idea, that flashing LOS 19.1 should work like described.
I am no developper and just an amateur in all these things, but I figured it would make a difference if one installed MicroG systemwide and probably with root instead of installing it on a running system from F-Droid.

I am glad it finally worked out for me and would like to thank all the developpers who made this possible!

As for roaming: I will be in France next week and will report if roaming worked for me.

Thank you all and have a good week :)

Reactions: Scalpos

Blumi511

Sep 19, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8

Having installed LOS 18.1 just half a year ago, I was hesitating to undergo the complete procedure of reinstalling apps, request new activation codes for banking apps and not being sure, how different apps would function at all. With all the positive reports here nevertheless, I installed LOS 19.1 yesterday. Here's my report:

base:
no root

procedure:
I followed official instructions on https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/sake/upgrade, downloaded latest 19.1 and rebooted in recovery mode.
I encountered the same error mentioned in the upgrade guide, counting would stop at 47%, then apparently no action for about 1-2 minutes and a success report afterwards.
After the third restart, it restarted in recovery mode, so I decided to give it another try and chose "Apply update", then "Update from ADB" and sideloaded the upgrade zip again.
Same error (stuck at 47%, then success), I let it upgrade and chose "Reboot System" afterwards.
Just before being asked to type the SIM Pin, I got an error, something like "the GUI crashed" (I don't remember exactly), but I was able to enter the SIM Pin and my lock-screen Pin.
There I was.
LOS 19.1 working. I checked my apps and was glad to see everything was working just as I had left it on LOS 18.1!

caveat:
As written above, I had not installed Gapps, MicroG nor rooted the phone when installing LOS 18.1 for the first time.
Yet, I decided to install MicroG from F-Droid afterwards. Since only minor parts of MicroG ever worked, I had the idea, that flashing LOS 19.1 should work like described.
I am no developper and just an amateur in all these things, but I figured it would make a difference if one installed MicroG systemwide and probably with root instead of installing it on a running system from F-Droid.

I am glad it finally worked out for me and would like to thank all the developpers who made this possible!

As for roaming: I will be in France next week and will report if roaming worked for me.

Hi Winnie,

Thank you for your report!

Which provider are you using in Germany? Which banking apps? What is your Widevine Level?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Blumi

Winnie_LD

Oct 19, 2020
Hi Winnie,

Thank you for your report!

Which provider are you using in Germany? Which banking apps? What is your Widevine Level?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Blumi
Provider: Vodafone
Banking: CortalConsors, DKB, Volksbank Raiffeisenbank (VR Secure Go) - I only use the secure TAN apps, not the banking apps per se
Widevine? sorry I have no idea what that is?

• Love
Reactions: Blumi511

Winnie_LD

Oct 19, 2020

base:
no root

procedure:
There I was.

caveat:

update:
I notice strange behavior in Brightness Adjustement. A few times during the day, when using the phone, the screen suddenly darkens so heavily, that I can't almost read anything. I have to adjust brightness manually so I can recognize text and pics on screen again.

secondly, the Paypal App does not work. I guess, it relies on some Google services that I have not installed.
Although I have installed MicroG and activated "Google SafetyNet"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pretty sure mine is Taiwanese, 12/256 but it is just listed as zs590ks on the box. Same with my wife's, which is an 8/256.

From what I was seeing on the ASUS website, the only model officially sold in the USA was the 8/128 model.

The important thing, though, is that they are all supported by the same LineageOS build.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 12, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. A direct link to kernel sources can be found here. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
    Download:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed.
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless.)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.
    Put up a new build with some things resolved, notably SELinux is now Enforcing.

I also switched from stock's prebuilt NXP NFC stack to the open source stack. Anyone who is able to make payments with Google Pay or something like that, let me know if it works.

Added a vendor_dlkm partition to hold vendor kernel modules so you can flash a different vendor regardless of the kernel situation as the modules are no longer held there.

Enabled automatic brightness by default.

Fixed night light by correct PIxelworks device detection.

Switched from QTI BT to AOSP BT until it gets merged.
    New builds are out, audio fixed along with other stuff.
    Put out a new GMS and GMS-less build today, an absolute ton of changes. Go try them out. Notably, the entire display doesn't go to max brightness when using fingerprint anymore. Support for FOD on AOD added too, all thanks to @demon000. Tons of initial Setup Wizard changes, especially for non-GMS users.
    Put out a new build, forgot list of changes. Try it out. Put up both GMS and non GMS this time.