Development [ROM][OFFICIAL][sake][12.1] LineageOS 19

Search This thread

Mario545

Feb 13, 2015
It is, for official Lineage. MicroG does not ship firmware in their builds like officials do, so it makes sense why it would crashdump on updating to 19.1 since it did not update the firmware. If you want to use MicroG builds then you'll need to make sure you're on Android 12 firmware beforehand.
Oh, oh. Thanks for the info.
I think there is a reason why custom ROMs lost a bit of traction ins the last couple of years. Because no one makes good decisions anymore. The reason why we need Lineage for MicroG fork in the first place is because LineageOS made the wrong decision to not allow MicroG installation in their builds. And now MicroG made the wrong decision to not include the firmware...

CircleCode

Dec 6, 2010
It is, for official Lineage. MicroG does not ship firmware in their builds like officials do, so it makes sense why it would crashdump on updating to 19.1 since it did not update the firmware. If you want to use MicroG builds then you'll need to make sure you're on Android 12 firmware beforehand.
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense, even if it is sad (not criticizing developers choices, I am really thankful for the hard work!)
Is there a known way to upgrade firmware from microg build without losing data?

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense, even if it is sad (not criticizing developers choices, I am really thankful for the hard work!)
Is there a known way to upgrade firmware from microg build without losing data?
Sideload 19.1 build, reboot to fastbootd to flash all firmware partitions to both slots, then reboot.

Malko007

Dec 27, 2021
Ok I flashed los19. It works but tried to flash los4microg after but got error. And could not apply update in recovery

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_165606_965.jpg
    IMG_20220509_165606_965.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220509_165613_878.jpg
    IMG_20220509_165613_878.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 43

CircleCode

Dec 6, 2010
Sideload 19.1 build, reboot to fastbootd to flash all firmware partitions to both slots, then reboot.
hum, it seems I am missing something…
I extracted the zip, and then the `payload.bin` file, expecting to find some xml about the different img to know what to flash for "all firmware partitions" (and the corresponding fastboot commands), but I only have a bunch of img files, and I have no idea which ones I should flash…
Is there any reference documentation where I could start?
Thanks for the help :)
---
edit: here is the list of files present in the lineageos zip and not present in the microg build… should I flash all of them?
Code:
$ comm -3 lineage-19.1-20220505-microG-sake/microg-files lineage-19.1-20220506-nightly-sake-signed/lineage-files
    abl.img
    aop.img
    bluetooth.img
    cpucp.img
    devcfg.img
    dsp.img
    featenabler.img
    hyp.img
    keymaster.img
    modem.img
    multiimgoem.img
    qupfw.img
    qweslicstore.img
    shrm.img
    tz.img
    uefisecapp.img
    xbl.img
    xbl_config.img

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario545

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
hum, it seems I am missing something…
I extracted the zip, and then the `payload.bin` file, expecting to find some xml about the different img to know what to flash for "all firmware partitions" (and the corresponding fastboot commands), but I only have a bunch of img files, and I have no idea which ones I should flash…
Is there any reference documentation where I could start?
Thanks for the help :)
---
edit: here is the list of files present in the lineageos zip and not present in the microg build… should I flash all of them?
Code:
$ comm -3 lineage-19.1-20220505-microG-sake/microg-files lineage-19.1-20220506-nightly-sake-signed/lineage-files
    abl.img
    aop.img
    bluetooth.img
    cpucp.img
    devcfg.img
    dsp.img
    featenabler.img
    hyp.img
    keymaster.img
    modem.img
    multiimgoem.img
    qupfw.img
    qweslicstore.img
    shrm.img
    tz.img
    uefisecapp.img
    xbl.img
    xbl_config.img
Yes, flash all of those partitions to both slots.

Mario545

Feb 13, 2015
and the corresponding fastboot commands
Given the information to "flash on both slots", I guess the commands will be like this:
Bash:
fastboot flash <image_name>_a <image_name>.img
fastboot flash <image_name>_b <image_name>.img
for each of the images you listed.

This actually matches the available partitions on the device. You can find out the partitions with "adb shell ls -l /dev/block/by-name". And indeed, for each <image_name>, a corresponding _a and _b partition is available.

At least that's how I would interpret the available information. Taking aside the huge typing effort for in total 36 commands, looks like a much better option than to wipe everything and go though stock ROM. Thanks for working out this solution!

noamazulay24

Feb 9, 2016
ASUS ZenFone 8
TNKS!!
BUT, the instructions are way more complicated than other devices i know. i must flash this ROM in sideload mode? cant i just flash this ZIP from TWRP normal flashing?

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
TNKS!!
BUT, the instructions are way more complicated than other devices i know. i must flash this ROM in sideload mode? cant i just flash this ZIP from TWRP normal flashing?
It's not really complicated, flash boot/vendor_boot (these are the recovery partitions), then sideload in recovery. It's the exact same as what you'd do in TWRP. I've never validated TWRP, if it works cool, it's just not supported.

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Given the information to "flash on both slots", I guess the commands will be like this:
Bash:

This actually matches the available partitions on the device. You can find out the partitions with "adb shell ls -l /dev/block/by-name". And indeed, for each <image_name>, a corresponding _a and _b partition is available.

At least that's how I would interpret the available information. Taking aside the huge typing effort for in total 36 commands, looks like a much better option than to wipe everything and go though stock ROM. Thanks for working out this solution!
Yes, that would be a correct interpretation.

CircleCode

Dec 6, 2010
Bash:

This solution worked flawlessly: I have upgraded from LOS4Microg 18.1 to LOS4Microg 19.1 without losing data using this solution.
Thanks guys for your help :)

ibolito

Jun 4, 2010
Marseille
ASUS ZenFone 8
Hello, I went back to full stock for now because of the Phone services using location every seconds. It was so annoying bein spammed by the location access green dot on the top right corner. The phone was constantly warm and battery life was awful. I'll go back to Lineage once this bug is solved or when there's a stable release.

Reactions: mLuca

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Hello, I went back to full stock for now because of the Phone services using location every seconds. It was so annoying bein spammed by the location access green dot on the top right corner. The phone was constantly warm and battery life was awful. I'll go back to Lineage once this bug is solved or when there's a stable release.

Comments on the change explain why it occurs, but it's fixed now for the next release.

Yuri..

Aug 9, 2013
Does LineageOS for Zenfone 8 carries over stock features regarding the options to limit battery charge? That's to slow battery degradation over time. I love custom roms but this is a nice feature stock has.

Mario545

Feb 13, 2015
Does LineageOS for Zenfone 8 carries over stock features regarding the options to limit battery charge? That's to slow battery degradation over time. I love custom roms but this is a nice feature stock has.
No, not if it is a custom ASUS feature. What is currently missing is: Battery Charge Limit and the option to activate DC dimming (mitigate flicker in low brightness). For both are workarounds available though, but they have their caveats. Battery Charge Limit can only be done with root and DC dimming requires to install an app that is no longer maintained (removed from Play Store), you can still get the APK somewhere on the internet. I too would love to have thouse features build-in in LineageOS, but doesn't look like this is going to happen soon.

See:
How To Guide Battery Charge Limit on custom ROM
Activate low brightness dimming in custom ROMs

Also the option to change refresh rate is missing, you need some adb commands for this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-official-sake-11-lineageos-18-1.4325059/page-18#post-86784441

Reactions: Yuri..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

A quick success report: been running 18.1 up to lineage-18.1-20220422 with great results - followed the instructions at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/sake/upgrade (step by step, exactly) to upgrade to lineage-19.1-20220603 (and corresponding mindthegapps).

Will be testing data roaming next week, the biggest annoyance in 18.1 for me (I live near a border) - will update with results when done.
    @ZVNexus hello and thanks for your hard work.
    I'd like to know if there's a way to seamlessly update the Asus base FW, without loosing any internal files / data partition every time.
    I mean, is it like simply sideload the full Asus update, then, without reboot, sideload even Los and it's done?
    Or is it not mandatory to update it?
    Firmware is included in each OTA, it is not required to manually update it.
    update:
    Drove through France this morning and was able to connect to Vodafone - data roaming functioning. I had to manually switch from the suggested provider (SRF) to Orange F - but it worked on LOS19.1!
    Used the APN
    web.vodafone.de
    everything else "not defined" except
    MCC
    MNC
    APN-Typ
    default,supl
    APN-Protokoll
    IPv4
    APN-Roaming-Protokoll
    IPv4

Hope that helps...
    Peace&Love, Winnie
    @ZVNexus: Ok, I've just set up a new Zenfone 8 with this, and after the first week I'm happy to report it seems to run fully stable, with no issues occurring (not even the screen issues many complain about). So, thanks a lot for this Google-free option for that nice phone...! :)

The only problem I have is that AFWall doesn't seem to run reliably, some apps it just doesn't block (with Magisk root and all). But that's not something I currently blame on the OS, I'll keep investigating.

My current questions are:
    - As there is no TWRP, and the suggested recovery doesn't seem to offer that, how can I do a full nandroid backup? Backup over ADB seems unreliable/deprecated.
    - What about the unlocked bootloader: Is it really recommended not to re-lock it, and what does that mean for data security on the device (in case it is stolen)?
    Lineage has had a native backup solution for a while called Seedvault.
    Hi all,

firstly, thanks for the great work on this ROM.

I have recently upgraded to LineageOS for microG 19.1 following the instructions given above.
    Using the build from 2022-05-05, I spent last week abroad in Austria and Slowenia, and found that data roaming was working in both countries.

In Austria, I noticed that the connection symbol in the status bar was often switching (sometimes even flickering) between data access / no data access, but Internet connection seemed stable nevertheless, because messengers and internet browser worked without issues.

For those who are interested:
    My home provider is (German Telekom subsidiary) congstar and the roaming providers were Telemach in Slowenia and Magenta T in Austria. I am using Telekom APN data with MVN-type set to 'SPN' and MVNO-Value set to 'congstar' (but don't know if this makes any difference).
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 12, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. A direct link to kernel sources can be found here. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
    Download:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed.
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless.)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.
    Put up a new build with some things resolved, notably SELinux is now Enforcing.

I also switched from stock's prebuilt NXP NFC stack to the open source stack. Anyone who is able to make payments with Google Pay or something like that, let me know if it works.

Added a vendor_dlkm partition to hold vendor kernel modules so you can flash a different vendor regardless of the kernel situation as the modules are no longer held there.

Enabled automatic brightness by default.

Fixed night light by correct PIxelworks device detection.

Switched from QTI BT to AOSP BT until it gets merged.
    New builds are out, audio fixed along with other stuff.
    Put out a new GMS and GMS-less build today, an absolute ton of changes. Go try them out. Notably, the entire display doesn't go to max brightness when using fingerprint anymore. Support for FOD on AOD added too, all thanks to @demon000. Tons of initial Setup Wizard changes, especially for non-GMS users.
    Put out a new build, forgot list of changes. Try it out. Put up both GMS and non GMS this time.