Development [ROM][OFFICIAL][sake][12.1] LineageOS 19

Search This thread

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 12, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. A direct link to kernel sources can be found here. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
Download:
Reporting Bugs:
  • DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed.
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless.)
  • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.

Last edited:

eVen123

Jul 31, 2018
GMS = Google ? Service?

I'm trying this right now. Hopefully I make it functional before I have to head to bed.

eVen123

Jul 31, 2018
Update:

I had a clean flash of:

WW-ZS590KS-31.0803.0403.54-DEV-2109-M3.13.24.46-SM8350_0000110-1.1.25-user_20210831-release_for_google

I was able too boot to TWRP. It wouldn't allow me to flash your zip. I rebooted to bootloader and flashed vendor_boot. After that, I was unable to get to TWRP recovery. I flashed boot and got to some sort of LOS-like recovery (purple color).

Flashing the image now.

UPDATE: Success. However, I was in a bootloop. Got back to recovery, it suggested to wipe data. It looks like LOS is now performing it's first boot.

UPDATE 2: First boot successful! Got into language and network selection. Seems to be stuck on "Getting your phone ready" step. Scratch that, we got past that! Big success!

UPDATE 3: Got past that bit, it was in "Getting your phone ready" process a long time. Booted now!

AWESOME, thank you for your work!

For anyone else reading, the TLDR:
  1. Installed the above zip (downloaded from official ASUS site). https://www.asus.com/Mobile/Phones/ZenFone/Zenfone-8/HelpDesk_Manual/
  2. Downloaded all the files provided by the author
  3. Flashed boot and vendor_boot
  4. Went to recovery, flashed the ROM zip with "apply update" and "sideload"
  5. Bootloped a couple more times
  6. Recovery suggested I clean data. I did.
  7. ...
  8. Works
UPDATE 4: Note - it seems that fingerprint still makes full screen go max brightness + it doesn't work with screen off.

Last edited:

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Update:

I had a clean flash of:

WW-ZS590KS-31.0803.0403.54-DEV-2109-M3.13.24.46-SM8350_0000110-1.1.25-user_20210831-release_for_google

I was able too boot to TWRP. It wouldn't allow me to flash your zip. I rebooted to bootloader and flashed vendor_boot. After that, I was unable to get to TWRP recovery. I flashed boot and got to some sort of LOS-like recovery (purple color).

Flashing the image now.

UPDATE: Success. However, I was in a bootloop. Got back to recovery, it suggested to wipe data. It looks like LOS is now performing it's first boot.

UPDATE 2: First boot successful! Got into language and network selection. Seems to be stuck on "Getting your phone ready" step. Scratch that, we got past that! Big success!

UPDATE 3: Got past that bit, it was in "Getting your phone ready" process a long time. Booted now!

AWESOME, thank you for your work!

For anyone else reading, the TLDR:
  1. Installed the above zip (downloaded from official ASUS site). https://www.asus.com/Mobile/Phones/ZenFone/Zenfone-8/HelpDesk_Manual/
  2. Downloaded all the files provided by the author
  3. Flashed boot and vendor_boot
  4. Went to recovery, flashed the ROM zip with "apply update" and "sideload"
  5. Bootloped a couple more times
  6. Recovery suggested I clean data. I did.
  7. ...
  8. Works
UPDATE 4: Note - it seems that fingerprint still makes full screen go max brightness + it doesn't work with screen off.
Updated OP to specify the exact version you need to be on [31.1004.0404.81 (or .71)]. Basically just a public release, not a beta.

Reactions: ionelbumbaru

eVen123

Jul 31, 2018
What I was able to test now, it's pretty good. Very usable already!

Bugs I notice:
The GMS seems to be a bit slower than expected.
Fingerprint doesn't work with screen off.
Fingerprint request location is not marked.
Fingerprint maxes brightness of whole display.
Task switcher sometimes doesn't work.
Bottom navigation sometimes disappears.
It keeps warning me about SELinux not enforcing issue. Not sure if that's intended/known.

More bugs I noticed after a day of use:
Google account data doesn't want to sync. Perhaps android 11 -> 12 mismatch?
Touch reader stopped working (required forced reboot).
Can't log in certain applications (don't know if it's a ROM issue).

Last edited:

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
What I was able to test now, it's pretty good. Very usable already!

Bugs I notice:
The GMS seems to be a bit slower than expected.
Fingerprint doesn't work with screen off.
Fingerprint request location is not marked.
Fingerprint maxes brightness of whole display.
Task switcher sometimes doesn't work.
Bottom navigation sometimes disappears.
It keeps warning me about SELinux not enforcing issue. Not sure if that's intended/known.

More bugs I noticed after a day of use:
Google account data doesn't want to sync. Perhaps android 11 -> 12 mismatch?
Touch reader stopped working (required forced reboot).
Can't log in certain applications (don't know if it's a ROM issue).
SELinux isn't enforcing because it's one of the first builds right after a bringup.

Reactions: ianseer and eVen123

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Put up a new build with some things resolved, notably SELinux is now Enforcing.

I also switched from stock's prebuilt NXP NFC stack to the open source stack. Anyone who is able to make payments with Google Pay or something like that, let me know if it works.

Added a vendor_dlkm partition to hold vendor kernel modules so you can flash a different vendor regardless of the kernel situation as the modules are no longer held there.

Enabled automatic brightness by default.

Fixed night light by correct PIxelworks device detection.

Switched from QTI BT to AOSP BT until it gets merged.

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Put out a new build.

Upped kernel target level from 5 to 6. The new minimum requirement of level 6 is a minimum kernel version of 5.4.86. To comply with this I updated kernel to LA.UM.9.14.r1-16300-LAHAINA.0.

Also dropped Snapdragon Camera overlays in /vendor as it won't be supported this cycle. Just Camera2 unless I can somehow figure out getting ASUS Camera working.

Automatic brightness is now enabled by default.

Synced with latest lineage-19.0 sources which last I checked now include some theming stuff(?).

Mecallie

Sep 16, 2011
Alright, just thought I'd ask here.

I unlocked my BL and disabled some apps. Was running on stock rom!

Just tried to upgrade to Android 12 to be able to flash this rom but it is now stuck on a ramdump screen. Note: it is stuck on this screen with the Official Asus image! I had LOS18 on this device before but was running it for a few months with the stock rom (because of the camera in LOS).

It gets stuck in a loop. When I power down the phone (all 3 buttons for ~10s) it just gets me back to the ramdump.
Even using ASUS recovery RAW image and the instructions from this thread does not work: https://xdaforums.com/t/full-recover-to-stock-if-things-went-really-bad.4337467/ .
After going to fastboot I am NOT able to flash the official ASUS Android 12 image, it just stops on 1/2 and does not give any details.
I am able to flash LOS recovery, LOS18 (latest) and AFTER that I am able to flash back to stock Android 11 (NOT 12, that gives me a ramdump again).

This cost me about half a day to figure out.
Anyone know what is going on and what I can do to get my phone to some kind of normal state when installing roms???

EDIT:
Just got completely stuck on ramdump.
Only thing that helped was: erase vendor_boot, boot_a/b partitions and do fastboot snapshot-update cancel . After that I was able to recover using the link above. Actually got scared there for a sec...

Last edited:
Reactions: megaice and Adaoh
Put out a new build.

Upped kernel target level from 5 to 6. The new minimum requirement of level 6 is a minimum kernel version of 5.4.86. To comply with this I updated kernel to LA.UM.9.14.r1-16300-LAHAINA.0.

Also dropped Snapdragon Camera overlays in /vendor as it won't be supported this cycle. Just Camera2 unless I can somehow figure out getting ASUS Camera working.

Automatic brightness is now enabled by default.

Synced with latest lineage-19.0 sources which last I checked now include some theming stuff(?).
Working great so far. I am having one issue where once I unlock the phone (and the screen gets really bright to read the fingerprint), it stays bright. If I tap the brightness slider, it doesn't move but it adjusts the brightness to what it should be according the slider.

This is the case with and without Adaptive Brightness enabled.

Reactions: Adaoh

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Alright, just thought I'd ask here.

I unlocked my BL and disabled some apps. Was running on stock rom!

Just tried to upgrade to Android 12 to be able to flash this rom but it is now stuck on a ramdump screen. Note: it is stuck on this screen with the Official Asus image! I had LOS18 on this device before but was running it for a few months with the stock rom (because of the camera in LOS).

It gets stuck in a loop. When I power down the phone (all 3 buttons for ~10s) it just gets me back to the ramdump.
Even using ASUS recovery RAW image and the instructions from this thread does not work: https://xdaforums.com/t/full-recover-to-stock-if-things-went-really-bad.4337467/ .
After going to fastboot I am NOT able to flash the official ASUS Android 12 image, it just stops on 1/2 and does not give any details.
I am able to flash LOS recovery, LOS18 (latest) and AFTER that I am able to flash back to stock Android 11 (NOT 12, that gives me a ramdump again).

This cost me about half a day to figure out.
Anyone know what is going on and what I can do to get my phone to some kind of normal state when installing roms???

EDIT:
Just got completely stuck on ramdump.
Only thing that helped was: erase vendor_boot, boot_a/b partitions and do fastboot snapshot-update cancel . After that I was able to recover using the link above. Actually got scared there for a sec...
Same happenning here, booting to Android12 ramdumps me... I was able to update before but now it does not work... Also the flash script gives me an error that it did not give me before.

Code:
Project ZS590KS matching success!
Start erase misc
Erasing 'misc'                                     FAILED (remote: 'Erase of misc is not allowed in snapshotted state')
fastboot: error: Command failed
misc flash failed!
Press any key to exit the script.
. I guess I will be staying on Android 11 then...

EDIT: Ran fastboot snapshot-update cancel like you did, and now the raw image file script works to reset the phone. Very weird. Also thank you so much, without your post, I would have never figured a way to make the script work again I am so glad you posted this

EDIT 2: After running the script (And everything working and passing) and getting everything back to normal, I was able to install Android 12 like I normally would without ramdumps

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 12, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. A direct link to kernel sources can be found here. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
    Download:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed.
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless.)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues.
    Put up a new build with some things resolved, notably SELinux is now Enforcing.

I also switched from stock's prebuilt NXP NFC stack to the open source stack. Anyone who is able to make payments with Google Pay or something like that, let me know if it works.

Added a vendor_dlkm partition to hold vendor kernel modules so you can flash a different vendor regardless of the kernel situation as the modules are no longer held there.

Enabled automatic brightness by default.

Fixed night light by correct PIxelworks device detection.

Switched from QTI BT to AOSP BT until it gets merged.
    Hi guys,
    I am a Zenfone 8 user. I always follow the updates here in xda thread. Unfortunately there was no updates related to lineageos 20 (Android 13) for our device Zenfone 8.

I saw today in lineage os logs that the next build, which will come on 26th of May will be lineageos 20. That means we will get an official support from lineageos. 🎉

Thank you for the developers. Lets see, if the update really happens.
    Yeah, the update will really happen. I'll make a thread as soon as the build is up.
    Sorry if I had you all waiting for long :p
    New builds are out, audio fixed along with other stuff.
    Put out a new build, forgot list of changes. Try it out. Put up both GMS and non GMS this time.