• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][sunfish] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

ku4eto

Feb 10, 2016
Sofia
Installed the Lineage OS with Magisk.

Things that i noticed:
the LED light is not working AT ALL. Setting it to ALWAYS ON does nothing.

Does anyone else experience this?

Another thing is, the default AOTS keyboard is horrible.

And as much as other people have complained: the dropdown menu in lock screen, not requiring password for important things is bad idea.

Still failing the CTS check, but thats up to Magisk to resolve. Google Play works, and i can install apps without issues (and use bank apps, but those ones are just showing a warning, isntead of blocking access).

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Installed the Lineage OS with Magisk.

Things that i noticed:
the LED light is not working AT ALL. Setting it to ALWAYS ON does nothing.

Does anyone else experience this?

...snip...
If you have a Pixel 4A, you have suffered the exact same problem I have the stock ROM. The Pixel 4A does NOT have an LED/notification light!! I complained about it (ie how it was not working) in another thread, and it (the obvious) was pointed out to me.

Reactions: mangokm40

ku4eto

Feb 10, 2016
Sofia
If you have a Pixel 4A, you have suffered the exact same problem I have the stock ROM. The Pixel 4A does NOT have an LED/notification light!! I complained about it (ie how it was not working) in another thread, and it (the obvious) was pointed out to me.
Haha LOL. Okay, totally did not expect this one.

Come on Google, its 2021, y u not put a LED on such phone.

Hopefully, their Energy Ring application will support in the distant future notifications, and not only show battery level.

Other than the other things mentioned, the Lineage OS works flawlessly.

Perhaps if it detects rooted phone, allow the default "Gallery" app to the uninstalled? Its made as a system app, and its... well... bad. Or implement "Rotate" function in it.

Edit: Holey light app did the trick. Shame on Google for failing to think of something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mangokm40

mangokm40

Jan 13, 2019
4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-09-16 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-08-12 + lineage-18.1-20210812-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-09-16. I have no GApps, no custom-kernel, and Magisk is not installed. Everything went smoothly.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version". The "Android security update" shows "September 5, 2021".
The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "September 5, 2021".
The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ3A.210805.001.A1" to "RQ3A.210905.001".

See Android Security Bulletin - September 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "20210916" and active slot 'b'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, PeterCxy & cdesai for their work.

Last edited:
Reactions: .: SID :.

BrokenBee

Dec 20, 2016
4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-09-16 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-08-12 + lineage-18.1-20210812-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-09-16. I have no GApps, no custom-kernel, and Magisk is not installed. Everything went smoothly.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version". The "Android security update" shows "September 5, 2021".
The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "September 5, 2021".
The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ3A.210805.001.A1" tp "RQ3A.210905.001".

See Android Security Bulletin - September 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "20210916" and active slot 'b'.

Is play store certified?

rogers11

Dec 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
LG Nexus 5X
Sorry, I never worked with addon.d script so far.

What to do with this script then? What's if there is a new magisk version?
Do you have any link so that I can read some background?

Thanks!
You don't have to work with any script. Installing like described will place 99-magisk.sh in /system/addon.d. The script will survive updates and reinstall Magisk each time you update

Reactions: Joojoo1993

knzor

Dec 8, 2014
Barcelona
I have built by myself latest (2021.09.20) version of lineageos 18.1 and customized the kernel to include wireguard kernel module. I also have installed magisk app, patched boot.img and flashed it fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img. I don't have/use google apps. As @mangokm40 I have no problems whatsoever.

I have two questions:
  1. Updating according the official documentation (From your PC via the push_update script (Linux/macOS only) is very slow, can I update using adb sideload?
  2. What about magisk? Do I need to flash again a patched boot img? If so, could you kindly explain clearly the steps necessary?
Thanks for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I've been using the ROM for about 2 weeks and everything is fine except I am having some issues with GPS across different APPs. For Google Maps it kinda works but it takes quite some time to find my location. For other APPs like OsmAnd and Strava it does not find any location. I checked with an app called "GPS status" there everything seems fine and it shows me valid GPS data after a few seconds.
    Does anyone have a clue what is going on? I did check app permissions these seem fine.
    I am using the latest build from 30/09/2021 with OpenGapps Nano 29/09/2021.
    Thanks
    So apparently it was a problem with my gapps installation. I did not reboot after installing the ROM and installed the gapps right away. Which let to some corruption.

This post helped to fix the major issues otherwise a clean install would also do the trick.

4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-14 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-09-16 + lineage-18.1-20210916-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-10-14. I have no GApps, no custom-kernel, and Magisk is not installed. Everything went smoothly. However, the "Vendor patch level" appears to still be September.

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version". The "Android security update" now shows "October 1, 2021".
    The Vendor security patch level just below it is still "September 5, 2021".
    The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ3A.210905.001" to "RQ3A.211001.001".

See Android Security Bulletin - October 2021 for details about the security fixes.
    Notice it talks about patch levels of "2021-10-05 or later". This LineageOS release appears to not include that. Maybe it will be next week?

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "20211014" and active slot 'a'.

any issues flashing this if I am on stock Android 12?
    That' s from LineageOS Wiki:

WARNING: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Notes
    • Before the initial installation, please make sure your Pixel 4a has already been updated to Android 11 official firmware so that the recovery can function correctly.
    • This ROM comes with latest firmware bundled, so after the initial flash you don't need to worry about updating firmware manually.
    • This ROM comes with source-built kernel and modules
    • eSIM functions without GAPPS, but to manage (add / erase) eSIMs you will need to have GAPPS installed
    Installation
    • Update your Pixel 4a to official Android 11
    • Download the latest boot.img and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Updating
    • Boot to recovery
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Flash the same addons you had previously installed:
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Downloads

Official: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish

Reporting bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • On the first boot, you might be presented the message "SIM Manager has crashed". You can safely ignore it.
    Source Code

4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-13 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-05-06 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210506-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-05-13. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update.

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version" (see screenshots). The "Android security update" shows "May 5, 2021".
    The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "May 5, 2021".
    The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ2A.210405.005" to "RQ2A.210505.003".

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "2021-05-13" and slot 'a'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, @PeterCxy & @cdesai for their work.

In a poor man's homage to @curiousrom, I have used his postings as a template for mine.
    They have been very helpful with my daily driver (S5) for a loooong time. :geek:
    please tell us what method worked for you

please tell us what method worked for you!
    1. extract the boot from LOS payload.bin
    2. install Magisk 22 by patching the extracted boot image
    3. hide the magisk from: google play store, play services, gpay, clear data for all these apps.
    4. install magisk module safetynet-fix-v1.1.1.zip
    5. reboot
    I happened to install the last unofficial LOS (lineage-18.1-20210308) on a new phone an hour before this was released. I have everything setup and installed, safetynet passes etc etc, is it worth upgrading to this? Are there any big differences?

Also, is it possible to use twrp with this or lineage-18.1-20210308?

Thanks.
    The unofficial build will still be updated, but if you don't need microG it might be a better idea to switch to the official build for more timely updates and official guarantees. Of course, to switch to the official build, you have to wipe all data and start over.

I have no experience with TWRP on Pixel 4a.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Notes
    • Before the initial installation, please make sure your Pixel 4a has already been updated to Android 11 official firmware so that the recovery can function correctly.
    • This ROM comes with latest firmware bundled, so after the initial flash you don't need to worry about updating firmware manually.
    • This ROM comes with source-built kernel and modules
    • eSIM functions without GAPPS, but to manage (add / erase) eSIMs you will need to have GAPPS installed
    Installation
    • Update your Pixel 4a to official Android 11
    • Download the latest boot.img and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Updating
    • Boot to recovery
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Flash the same addons you had previously installed:
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Downloads

Official: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish

Reporting bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • On the first boot, you might be presented the message "SIM Manager has crashed". You can safely ignore it.
    Source Code

Using it now... ROM is stable, smooth and fast... as of now...

Initially, I couldn't call or text but after resetting the apn and switching it once to 2G and reverting back to 4G should fix that...( Jio users India).

Used nikgapps