[ROM][OFFICIAL][sunfish] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

icantlogin

Aug 23, 2017
The thread title would be in opposition to your build, so you would definitely need to start a new thread. Also, most important details and links to new builds are posted in the OP, which you would not be able to edit unless its your own thread. And its just respectful to the orig dev.

I dont use LOS on this device or plan to. I am tempted to stick with A11. I am still running the stock A11, I too have built multiple ROMs for my previous devices (oreo being the last), but am hesitant at building for this device in case there are any "gotcha's" after spending hours building the env/source etc. I would be interested in following how you go (y) . I havent seen too many details published for building ROMs for this device. Actually, I just realised I have not checked LOS web site, previously they had pretty thorough steps details on building their ROMs for official devices.
You pointed me in the right direction, the LineageOS wiki has solid instructions. I've been figuring out how to use a virtual machine in Google Cloud the past few days, as my laptop is not sufficient anymore. It worked out very well, I produced my first build yesterday, on my first try. Now I'm figuring out from the wiki how to sign it with my own keys and after that how to migrate a phone from the last official build to my own build without losing any data. After that I'll figure out how to upload it to Android Filehost or Google Drive and share it on this forum :) If I don't suddenly lose interest this might be pretty soon, if I do lose interest it might be weeks before I come back to this haha 😅 We'll see.

Reactions: DiamondJohn

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
You pointed me in the right direction, the LineageOS wiki has solid instructions. I've been figuring out how to use a virtual machine in Google Cloud the past few days, as my laptop is not sufficient anymore. It worked out very well, I produced my first build yesterday, on my first try. Now I'm figuring out from the wiki how to sign it with my own keys and after that how to migrate a phone from the last official build to my own build without losing any data. After that I'll figure out how to upload it to Android Filehost or Google Drive and share it on this forum :) If I don't suddenly lose interest this might be pretty soon, if I do lose interest it might be weeks before I come back to this haha 😅 We'll see.
I have only built for unofficial/unsupported devices, so signing with a matching key to the official one wasnt ever a question. It does sound like something LOS would not want you do. ie release a kinda official ROM as a random unofficial outsider/builder. It peaked my interest, so I found

Maybe to keep your interest, when I was building, I would take custom ROMs and do relatively easy things like: debloat, replace standard apps with better FOS alternatives, add CPU Govs and IO Schedulers, add theme colours. I also use to overclock my basic low powered device.

icantlogin

Aug 23, 2017
There's no "signing with a matching key to the official one" since that key is secret. I'm following the instructions on the page you linked to sign my builds with my own private keys and then migrate from the official build to my own build. Since the LineageOS project doesn't provide official 18.1 builds anymore, I'll be releasing them as unofficial builds to help those who, like me, want to stay on 18.1. I don't think that violates any rules.

Ah yes, once you're comfortable compiling a ROM I guess you can then venture into customizing it. My sole intention is to be able to generate LineageOS 18.1 builds with the latest security patches though.

Reactions: old.splatterhand

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
There's no "signing with a matching key to the official one" since that key is secret. I'm following the instructions on the page you linked to sign my builds with my own private keys and then migrate from the official build to my own build. Since the LineageOS project doesn't provide official 18.1 builds anymore, I'll be releasing them as unofficial builds to help those who, like me, want to stay on 18.1. I don't think that violates any rules.

Ah yes, once you're comfortable compiling a ROM I guess you can then venture into customizing it. My sole intention is to be able to generate LineageOS 18.1 builds with the latest security patches though.
I was pretty sure the LOS key was private, but wasnt 100% sure, so didnt want to stick my neck out, any more than an implication ;).

Regarding signing, from memory, in the "good old days" of flashing TWRP compatible zips, I *think* the check for the correct/same signature was easily editable within a text file (the install script) in the flashing/install zip, and hence could be modified to be ignored on the first switch, and then updated at the end of the first flash to the new key, ready for the next flash with the new signature. I have not investigated if the same trick could be applied to the current non TWRP flashing process.

maclick245

Feb 3, 2010
Is anyone experiencing bad internet connectivity on this ROM?, I have had same issue on Descendant as well. The only ROM I get stable internet on is SuperiorOS. Any assistance would be appreciated!

icantlogin

Aug 23, 2017
So I was just wondering, is there going to be a support thread for the official LineageOS 19 for sunfish or...?

Not that it's very relevant to me, I'm hoping to create a thread soon for my unofficial 18.1 build with August security updates. I've got hosting figured out and I'm working on implementing OTA updates through the system updater so it's gonna be a real smooth experience once one has switched :)

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
So I was just wondering, is there going to be a support thread for the official LineageOS 19 for sunfish or...?

Not that it's very relevant to me, I'm hoping to create a thread soon for my unofficial 18.1 build with August security updates. I've got hosting figured out and I'm working on implementing OTA updates through the system updater so it's gonna be a real smooth experience once one has switched :)
19.1 official works well, why maintain 18.1?

icantlogin

Aug 23, 2017
O, the irony of buying a Pixel phone for stock Android and monthly updates, only for Google to go ahead and change the whole UI with Material You just months after I bought it—and I think it's terrible. Of course I could get used to it—we usually resist change before embracing it—but after testing Android 12 a bit and switching back to Android 11 it immediately struck me that it looks só much better. Like a breath of fresh air after Android 12. Usability is so much better.

So that's my reason. My hope is they will bring back brighter colors and more contrast in Android 13 or 14 or something, and maybe shrink the giant headings somewhat, and I'll switch then. We'll see.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I am running Bliss, but have stuck with A11 and not moved to A12. I have a lot of apps which are no longer maintained (and most pulled from the playstore), and barely run on A11. Im not going to switch to A12 anytime soon . AND I haven't been impressed with the general look & feel of A12 in the vid's I have seen. So I can understand why someone would prefer A11.

Reactions: d33dvb

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
It looks like LOS 18.1 is no longer officially maintained for Sunfish:
If you're not interested in an upgrade to 19.1 but still want to receive updates to 18.1 you might want to have a look into the "unofficial" LOS 18.1 thread by @icantlogin

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Notes
    • Before the initial installation, please make sure your Pixel 4a has already been updated to Android 11 official firmware so that the recovery can function correctly.
    • This ROM comes with latest firmware bundled, so after the initial flash you don't need to worry about updating firmware manually.
    • This ROM comes with source-built kernel and modules
    • eSIM functions without GAPPS, but to manage (add / erase) eSIMs you will need to have GAPPS installed
    Installation
    • Update your Pixel 4a to official Android 11
    • Download the latest boot.img and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Updating
    • Boot to recovery
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Flash the same addons you had previously installed:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Downloads

Official: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish

Reporting bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • On the first boot, you might be presented the message "SIM Manager has crashed". You can safely ignore it.
    Source Code

4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-11-18 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-10-14 + lineage-18.1-20211014-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-11-18. I have no GApps, no custom-kernel, and Magisk is not installed. Everything went smoothly.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version". The "Android security update" now shows "November 5, 2021".
    The Vendor security patch level (just below) is now "October 1, 2021".
    The Build number at the bottom is "RQ3A.211001.001 10036888".
    This appears to be the last Vendor security patch for Android 11. The 1105 firmware is for Android 12.

See Android Security Bulletin - November 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "20211118" and active slot 'b'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, PeterCxy & cdesai for their work.
    please tell us what method worked for you

please tell us what method worked for you!
    1. extract the boot from LOS payload.bin
    2. install Magisk 22 by patching the extracted boot image
    3. hide the magisk from: google play store, play services, gpay, clear data for all these apps.
    4. install magisk module safetynet-fix-v1.1.1.zip
    5. reboot
    There is no hope, the quality of the asocial media is as bad as with stock ROM.
    4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-13 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-05-06 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210506-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-05-13. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version" (see screenshots). The "Android security update" shows "May 5, 2021".
    The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "May 5, 2021".
    The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ2A.210405.005" to "RQ2A.210505.003".

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "2021-05-13" and slot 'a'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, @PeterCxy & @cdesai for their work.

In a poor man's homage to @curiousrom, I have used his postings as a template for mine.
    They have been very helpful with my daily driver (S5) for a loooong time. :geek: