[ROM][OFFICIAL][sunfish] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

RogerClark

Feb 9, 2011
Melbourne
How did you install graphene rom everytime it fails when flashing rom
I installed it about 5 months ago on a brand new phone.

From what I can recall I just ran the Bat file, and hoped for the best.

At the time I was using a Windows 7 machine, and I think it had ADB ect in the path, but I don't think the ADB stuff would make any difference.

TheSayaMan

• Sep 12, 2016
    Thanks.

I'll download the images in case I need them

I'm actually undecided now about whether I should switch to Lineage.

My primary reason to swicth to Lineage, now that an official version is available, was because the local COVID check-in App required by the government would not run on GrapheneOs.

However, I managed to fix the problem by installing MicroG Core Services, via Froid.

I also just read that GrapheneOS plan to add a dummy GooglePlayServices App, with no special permissions, which reports that the Google servers are offline, which would do the job of MicroG

However until that feature is added, it looks like MicroG is a good alternative.

Also, the AroraStore app seems to be mostly working, so I can get Apps from the PlayStore directly, and don't have to sideload etc.

Prior to installing MicroG, I noticed a some Apps would not run on GrapheneOS, but I'm hoping that now I've got MicroG installed more may work.
    I can tell you flat out that Play Store apps that require Play Services will not run on GrapheneOS because Play Services can't run on a GrapheneOS. I've tried MicroG awhile back on GrapheneOS and those apps wouldn't run. An error would state that without Play Services the app won't run.

Edmontonchef

• Nov 30, 2016
    edmonton
    The op mentions download.lineageos.org lists what features the ROM has - which is not true.

Does anyone have an idea what features the ROM has over stock Android? It's not described anywhere which makes me think the ROM is useless
    Not sure what you mean, there's plenty of customizations and differences from stock. give it a try

RogerClark

Feb 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    I can tell you flat out that Play Store apps that require Play Services will not run on GrapheneOS because Play Services can't run on a GrapheneOS. I've tried MicroG awhile back on GrapheneOS and those apps wouldn't run. An error would state that without Play Services the app won't run.
    Installing the latest "MicroG Services Core" via FDroid seemed to allow the Apps I need to run.

But they were just basic covid related apps, that probably didnt use much of the overall PlayServices API

claviger-pc

Jan 14, 2021
    Is anyone else having trouble with screen brightness? I find that it's not nearly as bright in full sunlight as stock, and at times it's hard to see the screen outside.

darkangel32

Mar 26, 2020
    I currently have an S7 flat with the stock samsung oreo rom, no root or other customizations. Upon its launch, it was on par if not faster than my iphone 6s. Now, the S7 is quit abit slower in gaming and overall performance vs the 6s.

I wonder if thats due to outdated software/OS, as i understand the S7 is by default running TouchWizz? The playstore says Samsung oneUI though.

Anyway, to the question, will installing a custom rom like Lineageos or any other rom improve general gaming and app performance, or will it not make a huge difference?

I have already done a factory reset, disable apps (bloat) etc.

wmatheney

Oct 25, 2012
    I haven't done this in a while and went to verify the recovery options on my Pixel 4a . However, I only get the red triangle when booting into recovery. Is there something I'm missing? Will a recovery show up when I go to install boot.img?

Edmontonchef

• Nov 30, 2016
    edmonton
    I haven't done this in a while and went to verify the recovery options on my Pixel 4a . However, I only get the red triangle when booting into recovery. Is there something I'm missing? Will a recovery show up when I go to install boot.img?
    Yep, the boot image has recovery. Flash it to both slots then reboot to recovery. Factory reset, select apply update then adb sideload the rom zip

roxy1712

May 31, 2012
    Washington, DC

I came from an S7 and couldn't figure out how to get to the stock Android Recovery at first, because all it shows is the robot and the rocker keys do nothing... You have to press the power button and the volume up key again, which will bring you to the Stock menu (easy to ID as it's very bland with just text).

sk8223

Nov 10, 2012
    Toronto
    Google Pixel 4a
    I notice that the brightness levels aren't too great in Android 11 AOSP in general, the brightness levels don't get as bright or as low as stock iOS. If you've used the iOS brightness slider in iOS 11 and above you know what I'm talking about. It's pretty great. Which is funny because iDevices use LCD panels while Pixels now use Samsung OLED panels.

Try flashing a custom kernel and forcing the experimental brightness setting using Franco Kernel Manager (paid app but worth the money IMO). It will let you raise the brightness even higher BUT you could end up damaging your screen doing this...

I actually have the opposite issue. The 4a's screen brightness level doesn't get as low as my iPhone using the AOSP brightness slider, every screen dimmer app I use, including CF.Lumen keep changing the screen temperature to super cold colours at the lowest brightness which makes my eyes hurt. CF.Lumen does have temperature and custom color sliders which I'm not a fan of. I end up changing the display colours in FKM to make the screen warmer with CF.Lumen's dark filter turned all the way up so I can browse the net at night in the dark.

I'm just glad CF.Lumen still works in Android 11. So far it has no proper alternatives. Not even f.lux for Android comes close. I wonder what happened? Did people simply stop using their phones at night? I envy y'all...

jawz101

Not sure what you mean, there's plenty of customizations and differences from stock. give it a try

I know the generic differences are. Wallpapers, ringtones, a few custom apps, and all Google apps and add-ons removed.

Basically, it's like a stripped down Android. 5 years ago, CyanogenMod had quick settings tiles, night mode screen tint, theming, privacy guard, and a few other system features. All of that eventually made it's way into stock Android so now custom ROMs really only offer taking out the Google bits... which most people then reinstall with a GApps package so really you've not changed anything. Except maybe add some crappy wallpapers, a boot splash screen, and a goofy swipe animation.

All of the innovators behind many of the custom ROMs actually moved on to work for OnePlus, Google, etc. so really Lineage ends up being just vanilla Android with some branding.

Last edited:

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
    I installed it about 5 months ago on a brand new phone.

From what I can recall I just ran the Bat file, and hoped for the best.

At the time I was using a Windows 7 machine, and I think it had ADB ect in the path, but I don't think the ADB stuff would make any difference.
    any fix only getting black screen , flashed graphene then back to original firmware fastboot and adb not reconized , some how stopped during flashing of stock os

Attachments

• Untitled.png
      Untitled.png
      473.1 KB · Views: 35

roxy1712

May 31, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Still having issues with GPS. It's getting really frustrating and looks like it's a problem with other models, but hard to tell. If a new nightly doesn't fix it soon, I may go back to stock as it's hard to navigate when you can't pinpoint your location. :)

claviger-pc

Jan 14, 2021
    I actually have the opposite issue. The 4a's screen brightness level doesn't get as low as my iPhone using the AOSP brightness slider, every screen dimmer app I use, including CF.Lumen keep changing the screen temperature to super cold colours at the lowest brightness which makes my eyes hurt. CF.Lumen does have temperature and custom color sliders which I'm not a fan of. I end up changing the display colours in FKM to make the screen warmer with CF.Lumen's dark filter turned all the way up so I can browse the net at night in the dark.
    It looks like you might be in luck with stock 12 and the new extra dim setting that might be introduced.

Reactions: sk8223

Selicular

Jan 16, 2021
    Canada
    Anyone know how to maintain root after an Lineage OTA update?? I end up having to use a payload dumper on the update zip to get the boot file so I can actually re root. Ends up not being worth the work for how frequently updates are released

sk8223

Nov 10, 2012
    Toronto
    Google Pixel 4a
    Anyone know how to do a Nandroid backup of ROMs with the Pixel 4a? Does TWRP work properly?

I also tried the latest OTA and got stuck on the boot animation. :( Wish I knew what caused it to fail, luckily rebooting into recovery fixed it and reverted me back to the previous build. I really wanna do a Nandroid backup of my current build now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-13 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-05-06 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210506-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-05-13. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version" (see screenshots). The "Android security update" shows "May 5, 2021".
      The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "May 5, 2021".
      The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ2A.210405.005" to "RQ2A.210505.003".

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "2021-05-13" and slot 'a'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, @PeterCxy & @cdesai for their work.

In a poor man's homage to @curiousrom, I have used his postings as a template for mine.
      They have been very helpful with my daily driver (S5) for a loooong time. :geek:
      It looks like you might be in luck with stock 12 and the new extra dim setting that might be introduced.
      Newbie question here. Can't seem to install the the newest nightly, I downloaded the file and boot my phone into recovery.
      Making sure that it recognized it with 'adb devices' - all good. I select apply update via adb in the recovery and 'adb sideload file.zip' - goes through step 1/2 and 2/2 seems ok.
      When I reboot into system it gets stuck on the lineage boot screen and I have to restart the device in order for it to boot, but after checking the version I'm on in the settings it still says that I'm on the original build that I clean flashed when first flashing LineageOS
      Does it freeze or do you see the circle moving across the lineage arch? If it's over 5-10 mins wait you need to boot into recovery and try advanced and then select factory reset. Usually old data from apps,etc can cause it. If not try again and follow lineageos' instructions EXACTLY to the letter. Make sure you're using the SUNFISH version.
      Does it freeze or do you see the circle moving across the lineage arch? If it's over 5-10 mins wait you need to boot into recovery and try advanced and then select factory reset. Usually old data from apps,etc can cause it. If not try again and follow lineageos' instructions EXACTLY to the letter. Make sure you're using the SUNFISH version.
      It has the moving circle but it won't boot even after 10 mins.
      Having to factory reset my device with each update would be highly inconvenient.
      I'm trying to understand what am I doing wrong, the initial install went smoothly, I installed the 20210408 build with the Nikogapps (core) and everything is working perfectly and now I want to update it to the 20210415 build
      The installation guide on the official LineageOS only covers fresh installs that include factory reset.
      I followed OP's steps but it hasn't worked for me.

EDIT: found the issue, should've read the instructions better.
      For anyone encountering similar problems, make sure that after you flash the update itself, you go into advanced>reboot recovery and only then flash the gapps
      Same here! No issues updating LineageOS via OTA. Last time I kept running into issues updating because of NikGapps. Looking back, I was getting way too many crashes when trying to install the OTA from some core gms apps and I couldn't understand why. I installed MindtheGapps: https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and now I don't have any issues with Google apps crashing while installing LOS OTAs. My root status was retained as well! My SafetyNet passes! I no longer use SafetyNet-based apps so IDK if this is a false message or not.

One thing I did notice is that SIM Manager crashed upon booting into the ROM but IDK why, it's a common error with LOS I think

Everyone, use MindtheGapps. It's bloaty and there's no way to disable Google Fi for good (it will always return with a restart) but it's the only stable Gapps package for LOS.
      2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Notes
      • Before the initial installation, please make sure your Pixel 4a has already been updated to Android 11 official firmware so that the recovery can function correctly.
      • This ROM comes with latest firmware bundled, so after the initial flash you don't need to worry about updating firmware manually.
      • This ROM comes with source-built kernel and modules
      • eSIM functions without GAPPS, but to manage (add / erase) eSIMs you will need to have GAPPS installed
      Installation
      • Update your Pixel 4a to official Android 11
      • Download the latest boot.img and rom zip
      • Boot to bootloader
      • fastboot flash boot boot.img
      • Boot to recovery
      • Format data
      • Flash LineageOS zip
      • Optionally flash any addons:
        • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
        • Flash the addons
      • Reboot
      Updating
      • Boot to recovery
      • Flash LineageOS zip
      • Flash the same addons you had previously installed:
        • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
        • Flash the addons
      • Reboot
      Downloads

Official: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish

Reporting bugs
      • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
      • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
      • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
      Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
      • On the first boot, you might be presented the message "SIM Manager has crashed". You can safely ignore it.
      Source Code

4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-13 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-05-06 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210506-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-05-13. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version" (see screenshots). The "Android security update" shows "May 5, 2021".
      The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "May 5, 2021".
      The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ2A.210405.005" to "RQ2A.210505.003".

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "2021-05-13" and slot 'a'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, @PeterCxy & @cdesai for their work.

In a poor man's homage to @curiousrom, I have used his postings as a template for mine.
      They have been very helpful with my daily driver (S5) for a loooong time. :geek:
      I happened to install the last unofficial LOS (lineage-18.1-20210308) on a new phone an hour before this was released. I have everything setup and installed, safetynet passes etc etc, is it worth upgrading to this? Are there any big differences?

Also, is it possible to use twrp with this or lineage-18.1-20210308?

Thanks.
      The unofficial build will still be updated, but if you don't need microG it might be a better idea to switch to the official build for more timely updates and official guarantees. Of course, to switch to the official build, you have to wipe all data and start over.

I have no experience with TWRP on Pixel 4a.
      Just flashed new 080421 build via OTA - stuck on boot animation. Forced reboot via power+volume up, booted back to 010421 and tried again - same result with 15 mins of waiting at boot animation. Booted again to 010421 and rebooted to recovery, flashed 080421 via adb, rebooted to recovery again, flashed magisk 22 and mindcoregapps and it's works!

Seems OTA flashing not ready for use? Or it's because of magisk and gapps?
      Worked fine for me. Maybe it's mindthegapps derping, happened to me exactly the same while flashing unofficials builds.
      lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly OTA flashed fine with open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip and Magisk v22.0, keeping all nicely updated after reboot.
      Just flashed blu_spark kernel after and I'm at home :)

No April ASB merged in it seems @PeterCxy?
      please tell us what method worked for you

please tell us what method worked for you!
      1. extract the boot from LOS payload.bin
      2. install Magisk 22 by patching the extracted boot image
      3. hide the magisk from: google play store, play services, gpay, clear data for all these apps.
      4. install magisk module safetynet-fix-v1.1.1.zip
      5. reboot
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone