[ROM][OFFICIAL][sunfish] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

HeartWood

Mar 29, 2018
Newbie question here. Can't seem to install the the newest nightly, I downloaded the file and boot my phone into recovery.
Making sure that it recognized it with 'adb devices' - all good. I select apply update via adb in the recovery and 'adb sideload file.zip' - goes through step 1/2 and 2/2 seems ok.
When I reboot into system it gets stuck on the lineage boot screen and I have to restart the device in order for it to boot, but after checking the version I'm on in the settings it still says that I'm on the original build that I clean flashed when first flashing LineageOS

srdempster

Feb 4, 2012
Staffordshire
Google Pixel 4a
Newbie question here. Can't seem to install the the newest nightly, I downloaded the file and boot my phone into recovery.
Making sure that it recognized it with 'adb devices' - all good. I select apply update via adb in the recovery and 'adb sideload file.zip' - goes through step 1/2 and 2/2 seems ok.
When I reboot into system it gets stuck on the lineage boot screen and I have to restart the device in order for it to boot, but after checking the version I'm on in the settings it still says that I'm on the original build that I clean flashed when first flashing LineageOS
Does it freeze or do you see the circle moving across the lineage arch? If it's over 5-10 mins wait you need to boot into recovery and try advanced and then select factory reset. Usually old data from apps,etc can cause it. If not try again and follow lineageos' instructions EXACTLY to the letter. Make sure you're using the SUNFISH version.

Reactions: HeartWood

HeartWood

Mar 29, 2018
Does it freeze or do you see the circle moving across the lineage arch? If it's over 5-10 mins wait you need to boot into recovery and try advanced and then select factory reset. Usually old data from apps,etc can cause it. If not try again and follow lineageos' instructions EXACTLY to the letter. Make sure you're using the SUNFISH version.
It has the moving circle but it won't boot even after 10 mins.
Having to factory reset my device with each update would be highly inconvenient.
I'm trying to understand what am I doing wrong, the initial install went smoothly, I installed the 20210408 build with the Nikogapps (core) and everything is working perfectly and now I want to update it to the 20210415 build
The installation guide on the official LineageOS only covers fresh installs that include factory reset.
I followed OP's steps but it hasn't worked for me.

EDIT: found the issue, should've read the instructions better.
For anyone encountering similar problems, make sure that after you flash the update itself, you go into advanced>reboot recovery and only then flash the gapps

Last edited:
Reactions: srdempster

darkangel32

Mar 26, 2020
I have lineageOS 18.1 for xperia z5 compact. When theres a new build, will i only have to go to system and search for updates, or do you need to flash everytime?
Also, does installing android 11 roms enable one to actually use and install apps that normally require a certain version of android? I cant seem to install say genshin impact or ark suvival using the playstore, can i install them via .apk files instead?
Netflix and other apps i can install using the playstore though.

srdempster

Feb 4, 2012
Staffordshire
Google Pixel 4a
Having to factory reset my device with each update would be highly inconvenient.
I'm trying to understand what am I doing wrong, the initial install went smoothly, I installed the 20210408 build with the Nikogapps (core) and everything is working perfectly and now I want to update it to the 20210415 build
The installation guide on the official LineageOS only covers fresh installs that include factory reset.

For anyone encountering similar problems, make sure that after you flash the update itself, you go into advanced>reboot recovery and only then flash the gapps
Reboot to recovery ensures that gapps is flashed in the correct slot, glad you're sorted

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013
Actually i am new to custom roms and want to try lineage os 18.1 on my pixel 4a . After flashing does it delete my previous esim data ?
No, eSIM is not stored in system data, and will be retained through flashes. With GAPPS installed (or even microG), you can manage eSIM on LineageOS; but even without GAPPS or microG you still can use the already imported eSIM.

Reactions: Braindeadwhale

bonedstarfish

Jun 8, 2017
yesterday i installed this rom. And booted up the device, everything was smooth until i noticed my voLTE was not working. I tried to restart and reinstalling the rom but still no luck. I don't know much about logcat or detailed report im a guy who flash a stable rom and go for his daily work so im sorry if iam not providing any detailed information about the problem.

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013
yesterday i installed this rom. And booted up the device, everything was smooth until i noticed my voLTE was not working. I tried to restart and reinstalling the rom but still no luck. I don't know much about logcat or detailed report im a guy who flash a stable rom and go for his daily work so im sorry if iam not providing any detailed information about the problem.
You could at least report which carrier you are using -- it's at least helpful for others trying to install the ROM :)

ptn107

Feb 10, 2012
Wait, so it works with oppengaaps? which packages i didn't see abdroid 11 versions.
I've been dirty flashing every week with NikGapps basic and so far no problems. I'm not touching the updater app so I'm not really sure everything with regards to addon.d/ is working. Redoing everything from scratch is a pain.

Top Liked Posts

Sim manager crash fix uninstall sim manager from play store and disable auto updates for it.

I actually have the opposite issue. The 4a's screen brightness level doesn't get as low as my iPhone using the AOSP brightness slider, every screen dimmer app I use, including CF.Lumen keep changing the screen temperature to super cold colours at the lowest brightness which makes my eyes hurt. CF.Lumen does have temperature and custom color sliders which I'm not a fan of. I end up changing the display colours in FKM to make the screen warmer with CF.Lumen's dark filter turned all the way up so I can browse the net at night in the dark.
    It looks like you might be in luck with stock 12 and the new extra dim setting that might be introduced.

Can i use the updater if i have NikGaaps flashed. Or do i need to manually flash new versions and Gaaps?
    Not happening bro... I tried... But it happens with opengapps R builds...
    Actually i am new to custom roms and want to try lineage os 18.1 on my pixel 4a . After flashing does it delete my previous esim data ?
    No, eSIM is not stored in system data, and will be retained through flashes. With GAPPS installed (or even microG), you can manage eSIM on LineageOS; but even without GAPPS or microG you still can use the already imported eSIM.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Notes
    • Before the initial installation, please make sure your Pixel 4a has already been updated to Android 11 official firmware so that the recovery can function correctly.
    • This ROM comes with latest firmware bundled, so after the initial flash you don't need to worry about updating firmware manually.
    • This ROM comes with source-built kernel and modules
    • eSIM functions without GAPPS, but to manage (add / erase) eSIMs you will need to have GAPPS installed
    Installation
    • Update your Pixel 4a to official Android 11
    • Download the latest boot.img and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Updating
    • Boot to recovery
    • Flash LineageOS zip
    • Flash the same addons you had previously installed:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Flash the addons
    • Reboot
    Downloads

Official: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish

Reporting bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • On the first boot, you might be presented the message "SIM Manager has crashed". You can safely ignore it.
    Source Code

I happened to install the last unofficial LOS (lineage-18.1-20210308) on a new phone an hour before this was released. I have everything setup and installed, safetynet passes etc etc, is it worth upgrading to this? Are there any big differences?

Also, is it possible to use twrp with this or lineage-18.1-20210308?

Thanks.
    The unofficial build will still be updated, but if you don't need microG it might be a better idea to switch to the official build for more timely updates and official guarantees. Of course, to switch to the official build, you have to wipe all data and start over.

I have no experience with TWRP on Pixel 4a.
    Just flashed new 080421 build via OTA - stuck on boot animation. Forced reboot via power+volume up, booted back to 010421 and tried again - same result with 15 mins of waiting at boot animation. Booted again to 010421 and rebooted to recovery, flashed 080421 via adb, rebooted to recovery again, flashed magisk 22 and mindcoregapps and it's works!

Seems OTA flashing not ready for use? Or it's because of magisk and gapps?
    Worked fine for me. Maybe it's mindthegapps derping, happened to me exactly the same while flashing unofficials builds.
    lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly OTA flashed fine with open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip and Magisk v22.0, keeping all nicely updated after reboot.
    Just flashed blu_spark kernel after and I'm at home :)

No April ASB merged in it seems @PeterCxy?
    please tell us what method worked for you

please tell us what method worked for you!
    1. extract the boot from LOS payload.bin
    2. install Magisk 22 by patching the extracted boot image
    3. hide the magisk from: google play store, play services, gpay, clear data for all these apps.
    4. install magisk module safetynet-fix-v1.1.1.zip
    5. reboot
    Any way to use banking apps bro... (Like in descendent without magisk)
    I'm sorry but LineageOS does not provide any officially-supported way to bypass SafetyNet restrictions. Please look into third-party solutions for that.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone