Boot to recovery (flash rom) : booted slot B
Reboot to recovery (flash gapps) : booted slot A

Doest it should be like that

Thanks for helping but it didn't work for me. I noticed this:

When in bootloader : boot slot A
Boot to recovery (flash rom) : booted slot B
Reboot to recovery (flash gapps) : booted slot A

Doest it should be like that ?
Correct... But I'm not sure about the slot while you are in bootloader......

Flash once stock and try again my steps it should probably work.... Surely some dev should help you ..

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
Google Pixel 4a
Hi guys. Firtly thank you to OP for developing this awesome rom ! But i have not been able to boot the ROM with GAPPS. My steps are:

1. Coming from descendants rom
2. Boot to fastboot
3. Flash LOS boot image
4. Boot to recovery
5. Format data
6. Adb sideload LOS latest
7. Reboot to recovery
8. Adb sideload NIKGAPPS CORE
9. REBOOT to system

Everytime i did all this i will stuck on bootanimation and can't boot the rom. Where did i do wrong? Thanks
your using the wrong gapps and your flashing incorrect

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
When I record slow motion video with gcam installed from playstore it force closes the camera app when I press to finish recording.

Is this a bug with gcam or LOS?

Also just realised that gcam from playstore doesn't have the HDR function like it should, I get that it's because the playstore version is meant for other phones

Is there anywhere I can get the full pixel version that works on LOS? or do I need to have it bundled in with my gapps? If so which one?

Last edited:

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
Google Pixel 4a
I also try this with mind the gapps, that didn't work. Anything you got to add to my flashing sequence?

Btw i will try flash latest factory images before trying again. Thanks
When flashing ,flash rom go into advanced settings ,reboot to recovery,flash gapps ,at 47% a prompt will come up about signature verification click yes , and reboot device should boot only so far one gapps will work I believe mind the gapps

Hi,

when I try to install the latest update from recovery, the update stops at 47%.
I get the following message:

D:\ADB Platform Tools>adb sideload "D:\Pixel 4a\lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-sunfish-signed.zip"
serving: 'D:\Pixel 4a\lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-sunfish-signed.zip' (~47%) adb: failed to read command: No error

I can also only flash the patched magisk boot.img via fastboot and not in recovery.

Does anyone know the problem and has a solution that I can also install from recovery?

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
Hi mindyabiznis,
yes you have to patch and re-flash boot.img every time you update to get root again.
Ahh OK, thanks for the response.

That's a pain, hopefully there is a fix for it soon. Might revert back to stock, the sim manager toolkit error is annoying, comes up whenever I install anything.

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
Hi,

when I try to install the latest update from recovery, the update stops at 47%.
I get the following message:

D:\ADB Platform Tools>adb sideload "D:\Pixel 4a\lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-sunfish-signed.zip"
serving: 'D:\Pixel 4a\lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-sunfish-signed.zip' (~47%) adb: failed to read command: No error

I can also only flash the patched magisk boot.img via fastboot and not in recovery.

Does anyone know the problem and has a solution that I can also install from recovery?
This is supposed to happen once you got the error at 47% reboot back into recovery, flash gapps from the install update section via fastboot and then the patched magisk the same way

Last edited:
Reactions: LuChaos

aikattx

• Oct 17, 2013
    When flashing ,flash rom go into advanced settings ,reboot to recovery,flash gapps ,at 47% a prompt will come up about signature verification click yes , and reboot device should boot only so far one gapps will work I believe mind the gapps
    Thanks. I managed to boot the rom. After flashing the rom. I need to reboot to bootloader, flash boot img both slot again, boot to recovery and then sideload the gapps. Magically it boots up !

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
    I just had an idea... What if directly after installing the latest update, before restarting my phone, going into frankos kernel manager and flashing the magisk patched kernel and then rebooting LOS.

Would this work in stopping losing root do you think?

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
    Google Pixel 4a
    Safety net passing latest update
    Screenshot_20210507-173442_Mana.png

Reactions: Spaceminer

LcK

Aug 19, 2008
    I'm thinking to switch to LOS18. Any issue passing safetynet? I read it's not an issue with magisk canary, do i also need to flash safetynet fix module?

Also, any issue with LOS ota update?

HeartWood

Mar 29, 2018
    Can anyone suggest a good super slim gapps package? I used to install Nikgapps-core but I keep bootlooping when flashing his latest build. Currently running the Mindthegapps but it has some google bloatware that takes up space even if disabled. I need just the bare minimum

momojuro

• Jan 15, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy A30
    Google Pixel 4a
    I'm thinking to switch to LOS18. Any issue passing safetynet? I read it's not an issue with magisk canary, do i also need to flash safetynet fix module?

Also, any issue with LOS ota update?
    Hey,

Safetynet passes using Magisk Hide and the Universal Safetynet Fix module. When you install it and reboot the phone, don't forget to wipe the data and cache of the Play Store app.

Can anyone suggest a good super slim gapps package? I used to install Nikgapps-core but I keep bootlooping when flashing his latest build. Currently running the Mindthegapps but it has some google bloatware that takes up space even if disabled. I need just the bare minimum
    I was able to install open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip without any issue.

Reactions: LcK

Top Liked Posts

Is anyone else not able to update to this weeks build?
      i could not update, caused endless boot. It looks like the gapps are the reason, it boots fine without it. But i could not find any gapps-los combination which works. i've tried nikgapps, mindthegapps and flamegapps packages with this nighty...
      4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-06-03 - Screenshot back in power menu

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-05-13 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210513-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-06-03. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update (see screenshot). I have no GApps or custom kernel.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

The Screenshot option is now in the power menu again. This allows you to screenshot your home screen. :)

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version" (see screenshots). The "LineageOS version" shows "18.1-20210603".
      "Kernel version" and "Build date" also updated.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "20210603" and slot 'a'.

Thanks to the Lineage Team, PeterCxy & cdesai for their work.
      4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-06-10

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-06-03 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210603-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-06-10. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update. I have no GApps or custom kernel.

There are only a few of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version". The "LineageOS version" shows "18.1-20210610".
      "Kernel version" and "Build date" also updated.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "20210610" and slot 'b'.

Thanks to the Lineage Team, PeterCxy & cdesai for their work.
      I upgraded to May firmware using the instructions on the Google site: https://developers.google.com/android/images. I used "sunfish-rq2a.210505.002-factory-30079813.zip".
      Then, I followed the LOS wiki instructions to load LOS recovery and LOS 18.1. It was "lineage-18.1-20210506-recovery-sunfish.img" & "lineage-18.1-20210506-nightly-sunfish-signed.zip"
      During testing, I installed Magisk 22.1 and patched the LOS recovery img file with Magisk. I flashed the patched img file and had root on reboot.
      I've since also successfully sideloaded the Magisk 22.1 file (adb sideload Magisk-v22.1.zip) from LOS recovery's "Apply update".
      I got root and it survived the May OTA update.
      I went to Settings->Network & Internet->Mobile Network->Advanced->Wi-Fi calling->Calling preference. I changed it from "Call over mobile network" to "Call over Wi-Fi". I made a call and I saw the message "Ongoing wi-fi call" when I pulled down the QS screen. I hope that's a good test for you.
      I have read the whole thread but for me its still unclear:
      If Im using LineageOS with Gapps (pico) on my 4a and I want at least the same camera quality as it is on the stock android version - is the offical Gcam App from the Playstore the right choice, or should I better use the Gcam ports (which will no longer be updated as far as I understand, so it will be unclear if they will still work with new LOs updates right?).

Thanks in advance, I bet Im not the only one having that question in mind.
      2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Notes
      • Before the initial installation, please make sure your Pixel 4a has already been updated to Android 11 official firmware so that the recovery can function correctly.
      • This ROM comes with latest firmware bundled, so after the initial flash you don't need to worry about updating firmware manually.
      • This ROM comes with source-built kernel and modules
      • eSIM functions without GAPPS, but to manage (add / erase) eSIMs you will need to have GAPPS installed
      Installation
      • Update your Pixel 4a to official Android 11
      • Download the latest boot.img and rom zip
      • Boot to bootloader
      • fastboot flash boot boot.img
      • Boot to recovery
      • Format data
      • Flash LineageOS zip
      • Optionally flash any addons:
        • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
        • Flash the addons
      • Reboot
      Updating
      • Boot to recovery
      • Flash LineageOS zip
      • Flash the same addons you had previously installed:
        • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
        • Flash the addons
      • Reboot
      Downloads

Official: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish

Reporting bugs
      • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
      • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
      • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
      Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
      • On the first boot, you might be presented the message "SIM Manager has crashed". You can safely ignore it.
      Source Code

4a LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-13 - Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater, I OTA-updated Pixel 4a (Google Ed) LineageOS 18.1 sunfish build 2021-05-06 + Magisk 23.0 + lineage-18.1-20210506-recovery-sunfish to build 2021-05-13. Everything went smoothly & Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see here: https://download.lineageos.org/sunfish/changes/

After the reboot, I went to Settings->About phone->"Android version" (see screenshots). The "Android security update" shows "May 5, 2021".
      The Vendor security patch level just below it is now "May 5, 2021".
      The Build number at the bottom changed from "RQ2A.210405.005" to "RQ2A.210505.003".

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I rebooted to recovery to verify that it was also updated. It now shows version "2021-05-13" and slot 'a'.

Thank you to the Lineage Team, @PeterCxy & @cdesai for their work.

In a poor man's homage to @curiousrom, I have used his postings as a template for mine.
      They have been very helpful with my daily driver (S5) for a loooong time. :geek:
      I happened to install the last unofficial LOS (lineage-18.1-20210308) on a new phone an hour before this was released. I have everything setup and installed, safetynet passes etc etc, is it worth upgrading to this? Are there any big differences?

Also, is it possible to use twrp with this or lineage-18.1-20210308?

Thanks.
      The unofficial build will still be updated, but if you don't need microG it might be a better idea to switch to the official build for more timely updates and official guarantees. Of course, to switch to the official build, you have to wipe all data and start over.

I have no experience with TWRP on Pixel 4a.
      Just flashed new 080421 build via OTA - stuck on boot animation. Forced reboot via power+volume up, booted back to 010421 and tried again - same result with 15 mins of waiting at boot animation. Booted again to 010421 and rebooted to recovery, flashed 080421 via adb, rebooted to recovery again, flashed magisk 22 and mindcoregapps and it's works!

Seems OTA flashing not ready for use? Or it's because of magisk and gapps?
      Worked fine for me. Maybe it's mindthegapps derping, happened to me exactly the same while flashing unofficials builds.
      lineage-18.1-20210408-nightly OTA flashed fine with open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip and Magisk v22.0, keeping all nicely updated after reboot.
      Just flashed blu_spark kernel after and I'm at home :)

No April ASB merged in it seems @PeterCxy?
      please tell us what method worked for you

please tell us what method worked for you!
      1. extract the boot from LOS payload.bin
      2. install Magisk 22 by patching the extracted boot image
      3. hide the magisk from: google play store, play services, gpay, clear data for all these apps.
      4. install magisk module safetynet-fix-v1.1.1.zip
      5. reboot