• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][osprey] The Android Open Source Project 8.1

Search This thread

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
many ways to guide, many ways to heal
Here are the logs for aosp keyboard's gesture fc as well as the lockscreen lag. I had to flash the build again cause strangely my Bluetooth wasn't working after restoring the 8.0 backup( gonna have to clean flash that again as well).

Huge thanks for logs.
FC for swipe on kbd filed above. Thanks. (actually I think that's been around a long time and won't likely get a quick fix. Memory fault on mapping.
-----
lock screen log is a disaster. 3 min of everything in the world happening from incoming calls to adreno (graphics memory) fault, tons of google play, tons of phone stuff - unreal - not surprised it's jittery. Looked like a COD log. -I- would be!!! :)

SO... :
Back to basics:
I am going to ask that when you get a chance, for the 8.1 Alberto build:
Look at this and make sure everything is correct - especially your formatting of system, data, and cache, etc
https://forum.xda-developers.com/20...flashing-oreo-8-x-check-t3726839#post75044563

Then just
wipe all 4
flash Alberto's 8.1
flash a nano 8.1 gapps from https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=745849072291697091
no majisk
boot to install it and when you get to desktop, STOP.

Try lockscreen and see if jittery.
If no, report. exit.
If yes, then do:
boot back to twrp and flash a SUperSU 2.82 rc5, and boot to desktop.
Install catlog (or whatever log you use.
run the log for 3 min BUT don't do anything except the lockscreen once immediately after you start log. Just let it sit there idle.
No rush.
Thanks!!!

Reactions: ALPHAWolf96

ALPHAWolf96

May 25, 2015
Los Angeles
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 5T
Huge thanks for logs.
FC for swipe on kbd filed above. Thanks. (actually I think that's been around a long time and won't likely get a quick fix. Memory fault on mapping.
-----
lock screen log is a disaster. 3 min of everything in the world happening from incoming calls to adreno (graphics memory) fault, tons of google play, tons of phone stuff - unreal - not surprised it's jittery. Looked like a COD log. -I- would be!!! :)

SO... :
Back to basics:
I am going to ask that when you get a chance, for the 8.1 Alberto build:
Look at this and make sure everything is correct - especially your formatting of system, data, and cache, etc
https://forum.xda-developers.com/20...flashing-oreo-8-x-check-t3726839#post75044563

Then just
wipe all 4
flash Alberto's 8.1
flash a nano 8.1 gapps from https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=745849072291697091
no majisk
boot to install it and when you get to desktop, STOP.

Try lockscreen and see if jittery.
If no, report. exit.
If yes, then do:
boot back to twrp and flash a SUperSU 2.82 rc5, and boot to desktop.
Install catlog (or whatever log you use.
run the log for 3 min BUT don't do anything except the lockscreen once immediately after you start log. Just let it sit there idle.
No rush.
Thanks!!!
Yeah that's the only thing i did. Wiped everything except internal storage. Flashed the 8.1 build and latest pico gapps and magisk 15.2 ( for matlog)
Booted up, used "setup as new" as usual and skipped the setup.
Booted to desktop and it took around 3 minutes to come to a stable condition before i even could do anything ( log makes that clear i guess), opened play store, added my account and downloaded the matlog app like usual.
Opened matlog, pressed record, back at desktop, locked, pressed power button ( it took 2 seconds to wake up as seen in video), swiped up, entered pattern and closed the log.
I've seen many reporting the same issue on nexus and pixel devices after the 8.1 update so don't know what's going on over here. Guess only @Alberto97 can provide some light on this.

But still I'll try to provide some more logs very soon

Psicovirus

Apr 29, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Sorry I couldn't get here earlier. Sluggishness confirmed with the videos.
I'll try flashing exactly as Kris described and report back.
PD: Found a couple more of bugs, Videos in Whatsapp's stories posted by contacts giving error when trying to view and *#*#4636#*#* not working for me, I'll reflash and see if this Issues persists.

Edit: I'm having trouble formatting sd card to fat32, someone can quickly help me? how can I check if it is not already in fat32? I'll lose all my images, etc if I do that?

Last edited:

rahul9999

PD: Found a couple more of bugs, Videos in Whatsapp's stories posted by contacts giving error when trying to view and *#*#4636#*#* not working for me, I'll reflash and see if this Issues persists.

Edit: I'm having trouble formatting sd card to fat32, someone can quickly help me? how can I check if it is not already in fat32? I'll lose all my images, etc if I do that?
The Videos couldn't be posted on whatsapp is known bug..
About Sdcard tell me what's Storage capacity of you're Sdcard.. If it's detecting on other ROM's for you & only not detecting here then it must be Not A Fat32.. You need to take a Backup using pc/laptop/portable storage before flashing it to Fat32... After taking backup use Pc / laptop to format it to Fat32 file extension.. If you can't found Format as a Fat32 option by default in windows then use any software (I used a Rofus before) which may help you to do that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Psicovirus

Psicovirus

Apr 29, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
The Videos couldn't be posted on whatsapp is known bug..
About Sdcard tell me what's Storage capacity of you're Sdcard.. If it's detecting on other ROM's for you & only not detecting here then it must be Not A Fat32.. You need to take a Backup using pc/laptop/portable storage before flashing it to Fat32... After taking backup use Pc / laptop to format it to Fat32 filw extension.. If you can't found Format as a Fat32 by default in windows then use any software (I used a Rofus before) which may help you to do that...

No, no, the videos other people posted, I can't see it, is giving me error when I check on their stories.

All cool about the Sdcard recognition, I just want to follow everything that the post that Kris linked says.
Thanks for answering.

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010

To tell what it is now:

If you have an sd card reader stick it in there and let whatever OS you have tell you what it's formatted as.

Oddly, no app that I have tried will tell you the format in situ, so go to TWRP,
Wipe,
Advanced wipe,
check sdcard,
tap "repair or change file system,
and in the very faint printing you will see it is vfat.
NOW, CAREFULLY, left arrow yourself out of there so nothing is changed.

To format it in situ (plugged in to your phone):
Note: This is instrs for re-formatting an SDcard if I/O errors or space probs!:
Boot to ROM to back it up to PC first if there's stuff on it!!!
settings/storage/portable storage/3 dotts/storage settings/format.

Moral of story: always have several sd card readers and micro sdcard adapters handy!!! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-06-16-27-59.png
    Screenshot_2018-01-06-16-27-59.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot_2018-01-06-16-27-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-01-06-16-27-40.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Reactions: Psicovirus

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
No, no, the videos other people posted, I can't see it, is giving me error when I check on their stories.

All cool about the Sdcard recognition, I just want to follow everything that the post that Kris linked says.
Thanks for answering.

Okay - not tryijng to rush you - heard my name in there :) Just want to check in and see if there's anything I need to do.

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
The provided link for camera is broken, Also the version from data365 doesn't have option to save Sdcard,
I would recommend this one behalf of that :) https://forum.xda-developers.com/2015-moto-g/themes-apps/moto-camera-modded-apk-v6-0-84-1-t3693891

I just tried the camera here you provided the link for. It seems like a nice upgrade to the older Moto Camera, but on this rom the video doesn't work for me, only the stills. Overall though I like it. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
camcorder is broken on any 8.x build at this point. except with footej or cameraFi2

Yes that was my understanding as well. However I misread rahul's post, and thought he was trying to say that it did work with this particular camera. I just read his post wrong. No worries though as I like this updated camera, and plan to keep it.

After reading through, and catching up on things it seems the 8.1 update seems more like a setback. That doesn't surprise me though. It seems whenever there is a version update no matter how minor things always suffer at the beginning. If I had more time I'd play with this latest update, but I think I'll stay on the previous 8.0 build for now, and see how things shake out over the next version or two. I just can't take my phone offline right now with work. I am enjoying following along though. After being away from the scene for a good year it is fun to be back, and I'm looking forward to extending the life of this little budget phone, which I've found to be a far better phone than some much more expensive devices. I purchased when it first came out, and have been very happy with it. I hope to get at least another year out of it with this AOSP Oreo rom.

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
Yes that was my understanding as well. However I misread rahul's post, and thought he was trying to say that it did work with this particular camera. I just read his post wrong. No worries though as I like this updated camera, and plan to keep it.

After reading through, and catching up on things it seems the 8.1 update seems more like a setback. That doesn't surprise me though. It seems whenever there is a version update no matter how minor things always suffer at the beginning. If I had more time I'd play with this latest update, but I think I'll stay on the previous 8.0 build for now, and see how things shake out over the next version or two. I just can't take my phone offline right now with work. I am enjoying following along though. After being away from the scene for a good year it is fun to be back, and I'm looking forward to extending the life of this little budget phone, which I've found to be a far better phone than some much more expensive devices. I purchased when it first came out, and have been very happy with it. I hope to get at least another year out of it with this AOSP Oreo rom.

The link I use for that camera is
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x-style/themes-apps/moto-camera-6-0-43-10-modded-apk-t3459690
you may find more info there, but still, stills only.

That is the thing with any Dev ROM. My needs and mods are minimal so I can use this ROM 8.1 fine, though obviously you will find some you want to avoid. I like the locking GPS. Another thing I like for this one is the Jan 5 security fixes. I have encountered none of the lags others speak of. Sure it will probably be better in the future, but nobody really knows until the Dev has time to put it together!

After all, they are toys and we should have fun with them!!! :)

rahul9999

Thanks for answering.

I faced a same error on 8.1 update.. But after when i have used Mx player once to figure it out it will started working for me..

rahul9999

Hi So i have figure out some issues on latest 8.1 update..

1. alarm clock is not working - I have missed my morning alarm since last 2 days.. For the testing purpose i have set alarm for 2 minutes & start recording log.. The Alarm time was gone but still no alarm happened.. Attaching the log's for reference

2. Issue with video playback in Whatsapp - Downloaded videos within whatsapp app from any person is not playing.. Whenever you have start playing that videos it will be stuck over that screen.. In other side when you try to play video's from whatsapp stories (status updates) it will be directly push you to the next status update with Error "There was an error while playing this video".. Attaching one ss & log recorded for that..

3. VoLTE Broken - Like i reported earlier Volte is broken out of the box.. You need to turn on - off Enhanced 4G volte mode after every restart from network settings to get it worked.. It's still fine With @althafvly Volte patch.. Thanks to althaf for sharing correct Files for the same in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75101626&postcount=236

4. Wrong / Random Call durations - The built in dailer is still showing wrong / Random call durations... You can use Google phone app as a workaround but make sure to set as a default phone app from app setting otherwise it will be end up with FC's

5. Sudden Force Shutdown - To test a battery life i have charged my phone to 100% & started watching battery stats in between... My phone was on 11% charged at that time i got about 5 hour 55 SOT with minimal apps... To continuously test it till at least 2% i haven't plugged charger nor turned on battery saver.. Suddenly on 11% my phone got shut downed.. I have tried to turned it on but no luck.. I have plugged charger & wait for a min.. I have seen a white battery charging animation like a stock Marshmallow.. After 2 - 3 min suddenly a boot logo appeared & a black screen shown with small written 0 ? 100 % in yellow color.. At that point i have tried to turn on my phone but nothing happened & again white charging logo appeared.
I have aging waited for 2-3 min & suddenly again boot logo appeared & this phone got turned on automatically.. As i have seen the charging is at 12% that time.. Sadly i haven't got anything in last Kmsg.. Will see if the same thing is happened again..

And the last one is Legendary bug which currently present in all Oreo ROM's..

6. Camcorder - Broken in built in camera app but working sometime with latest Footage Camera.. However you can't share any recorded video's via footage to Whatapp & maybe on other social apps too..

I hope this review is helpful @Alberto97 ... I really like you're work & i can understand that nowadays you're somewhat busy with you're personal life & work.. Hope to see you soon with fixes.. :)

Attachments

• 2018-01-07-alarm_clock.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2018-01-07-Whatsapp_video_playback.txt
    138 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20180107-152123.jpg
    Screenshot_20180107-152123.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 284

Subinsmani

Nov 18, 2016
Delhi, Trivandrum
When installing WhatsApp Messenger: - get many times: Alert - You have a custom ROM installed. Custom ROMs can cause problems with WhatsApp Messanger and are unsupported by our customer service team.
oops lol u r using custom rom na. then this message is usual.. but in pixel experience rom, due to some tweeks in rom, the whatsapp will think that u r using is pixel device so on that rom u will not receive this message..
so its nrml...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rahul9999

rahul9999

When installing WhatsApp Messenger: - get many times: Alert - You have a custom ROM installed. Custom ROMs can cause problems with WhatsApp Messanger and are unsupported by our customer service team.
Thanks for remembering me a msg which i can see while installing Whatsapp on every Custom Rom, but sadly i haven't faced the same issues with any custom Rom which i have used till now except this one..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3TdrJyX.gif

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

AOSP is Android as Google release without other modifications, similar to Pixel/Nexus stock rom but without gapps.
    Features such as Chop Chop, Double Twist and Ambient display gestures are kept.
    Google does not release an AOSP Browser anymore since Marshmallow, thus there isn't a default browser. If I find the time I might port and revamp it in the future.

Installation
    Requires Unlocked Bootloader & a custom recovery (at least twrp-osprey-3.1.1-r3.img or newer release is needed)
    1. Place ROM & Gapps in your virtual SD
    2. Reboot in Bootloader Mode
    3. Go to "Recovery" (Vol +/Vol -) and confirm (power)
    4. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    5. Wipe Dalvik cache
    6. Install the ROM zip
    7. DO NOT REBOOT
    8. Install the Gapps zip (optional)
    9. Reboot

Downloads
    AndroidFileHost

Sources
    Device Tree
    Common Device Tree
    Kernel

XDA:DevDB Information
    The Android Open Source Project 8, ROM for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
    Alberto97
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2017-11-23
    Last Updated 2018-12-08
    For the record, I'm not dead nor this project is. In the last weekend I worked on the OSS sensor hal (moto opened its sources in january), I brought it up to date and working on oreo, it will be included in the next build.
    And no, I will not maintain LineageOS 15.1 (don't talk about it here please).
    Changelog

07/12/2018
    • December security patches
    • WiFi display enabled
    • BT mac address fixed
    • BFQ is the default IO scheduler
    • Flip to Mute: the phone now vibrates when you mute/unmute it, just like Google's Flip to shhh

08/09/2018
    • September security patches

07/08/2018
    • August security patches
    • Enforcing SELinux

20/07/2018
    • RIL method getOperatorResponse now properly returns the operator and as result framework methods in TelephonyManger (getNetworkOperatorName + getSimOperatorName) and SubscriptionManager (getCarrierName + getDisplayName) now work correctly (thanks chil360 for pointing out the issue)
    • Whatsapp videos should have been fixed (thanks chil360 again for pointing out the issue and Subinsmani for linking the first fix here)

05/07/2018
    • July security patches
    • Camcorder has been fixed
    • Offline charging now correctly works
    • Moved from HWC2 to HWC1
    • Kernel updated to LA.BR.1.2.9.1-02310-8x16.0 tag
    • Unified gestures menus
    • Moved to AOSP apns list
    • Backuptool has been implemented
    • Added Google Sans

04/04/2018
    • April security patches
    • Better fix for the Alarm Clock
    • Removed PicoTTS (it was not working anyway)
    • Possibility of setting Pixel color accent

13/03/2018
    • February and March security patches
    • Open source Sensor HAL
    • Enabled Round Icons
    • Removed IMS support

04/01/2018
    • Android 8.1
    • January security patches

16/12/2017
    • December security patches
    • Alarm clock fixed
    • Fixed crash when opening Mobile Network settings with 2 sims inserted
    • IMS Patch by @althafvly included

21/11/2017 - Initial Release
    The new build is finally available with February and March security patches included. As I previously mentioned I'm now using an open source Sensor HAL now (backstory here for the curious).
    Also round icons are now enabled. That fancy feature introduced with Nougat that became useless on Oreo due to adaptive icons. Though for some reason Google decided to enable the Chrome adaptive icon only on devices that come with this feature enabled and the more adaptive icons I see the happier I am...
    In the end I've also decided to remove IMS support, it's something that apparently I can't get to work here, I can't test directly and I've spent enough time on.
    A new build is out. I have to say that I'm not very lucky with this device lately and after losing my sources a couple of months ago I had to apply every hack again and at many points I can't deny I was tempted to drop the support for osprey but here we go!
    Camcorder is finally working as well as offline charging.
    Gestures menus have been unified.
    Graphic configuration has been reworked, I've switched back to HWC1 since HWC2 was causing performance issues and our platform does not really support it.
    Kernel and wlan drivers have been inlined with qcom's latest tag. In the end they decided to support it once more and in june they published the first oreo release for our platform.
    Backuptool has been implemented: you don't need to install gapps every time you dirty flash anymore, backuptool will do this for you and just like pixels, Google Sans is now being used in some places of the system; mainly settings titles.
    I've also moved to AOSP apns list to improve the ROM maintainability. If mobile data stops working after a clean flash, check your apns, it might be missing now if yours is a new carrier or a MVNO.
    Of course security patches of these missing months have been included system and kernel side both.

An advice: due to the whole rework/reapply of the support for this device, do a backup, I might have missing something and the device configuration based on the variant has totally changed.
    In the end bad news: after realizing the amount of hacks this device needs, almost likely I won't bring Android P on it.