• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][osprey] The Android Open Source Project 8.1

Search This thread

Hedied4me

Sep 21, 2012
Lost Angeles
Hi ,
I am looking around...and thinking..
Sorry but I have to ask:
Why devs are starting something and never release the final version?
What's the point of starting any project? - (for example) like this?
Instead you should say "Im so glad we have something to flash. Thank you dev". Many phones have much less development than ours. Please be grateful.

Last edited:

NeoPreacher

Dec 4, 2012
Bielefeld
Motorola Defy
Moto G5 Plus
Hi ,
Sorry but I have to ask:

It's because of trolling the users is so much fun. Developing a rom is really so easy, in fact they don't need the tons of logs and the user support. Man, this comment is more than respectless. Learn how this here (the community) generally works or better try to start a project for yourself and you will get your answer. Cheers.

Last edited:

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
Hi ,
Sorry but I have to ask:

It seems you have rather missed the point of "Development" (this Forum's raison d'etre) and "Collaboration".

Let's get the thread back on to the actual topic please...

ALPHAWolf96

May 25, 2015
Los Angeles
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 5T
So after saving a few bucks, decided to ditch my osprey( still running the vanilla 8.0 build) and got a op5t instead. Just wanted to thank all the devs especially Alberto and sultan for their contribution towards the development community. It was nice 2 years long ride for me! Wishing all you guys a very best of luck for your future endeavors. Adios! :)

treebaard

Jan 19, 2015
Okay. Used a fresh install of the most recent image for a week, but it drains my battery at an insane rate -- 4 hours with 1.5h SOT and it's empty (and battery use history can't tell me where the power went), whereas on LOS 14.1 (stock kernel) with the same app usage pattern, I would have at least 40% left. Osprey 2gb, single sim.

Last edited:

mirpuri

Mar 31, 2013
London
Its not the apps , in 34 on screen time i have lost 41% and only 7% used by apps.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Anyone can help with battery drainage?View attachment 4439285 Screenshot_20180306-161155.jpeg

mirpuri

Mar 31, 2013
London
If you're comparing it with earlier version of Android then yes there's difference between both..
I have used most of Oreo Roms but i prefer basic rom like this one but battery drainage is very high, yesterday i only had around 1 hour Onscreen Time and battery was 40% left on the evening and that is when i kept itvon battery saving mode half of the day it in battery saver mode.

BenjyTec

Jun 8, 2015
I have used most of Oreo Roms but i prefer basic rom like this one but battery drainage is very high, yesterday i only had around 1 hour Onscreen Time and battery was 40% left on the evening and that is when i kept itvon battery saving mode half of the day it in battery saver mode.
I just read from a 'data always on' setting in developer options. Maybe it is also present and turned on by default on this ROM?

Reactions: mirpuri

mirpuri

Mar 31, 2013
London
I just read from a 'data always on' setting in developer options. Maybe it is also present and turned on by default on this ROM?
Yes it is, i will try to turnnit off and check. Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

You could try going back to the earlier 8.0 version of this ROM. I'm still on 8.0 with no battery issues. GPS doesn't work for me though.
Thanks. Will try to stick to this version and improvev battery and if not then will be moving back to 8•0.

LhamaSan

Dec 28, 2017
These are my battery consumption.
I have the "data always on" turned OFF since last update.
I'm having about 10% an hour with SOT.
WiFi have been off since last charge.
P.S: mine is an 1Gb variant (don't know if that matters).

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20180306-225852.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180306-225852.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 601
  • Screenshot_Settings_20180306-225916.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180306-225916.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Reactions: mirpuri

mirpuri

Mar 31, 2013
London
These are my battery consumption.
I have the "data always on" turned OFF since last update.
I'm having about 10% an hour with SOT.
WiFi have been off since last charge.
P.S: mine is an 1Gb variant (don't know if that matters).
Thanks for the screen shot. Im also using 1gb variant. Your battery consumption does make sense. Normally on phone idle you loose 1% or 2% bettery per hour and then while using phobe on screen time you loose between 20% to 25% per hour , dependat on what ROM is being used. Most of Nougat and Oreo roms have similar battery consumption . In my case i lost 60% battery for using 40 minutes on screen time and phone was idle for 12 hours, so ideally battery should be spent around 30% or maximum 40% with this usage but i am loosing a lot more battery somehow

Alberto97

Recognized Developer
Feb 6, 2012
For the record, I'm not dead nor this project is. In the last weekend I worked on the OSS sensor hal (moto opened its sources in january), I brought it up to date and working on oreo, it will be included in the next build.
And no, I will not maintain LineageOS 15.1 (don't talk about it here please).

Subinsmani

Nov 18, 2016
Delhi, Trivandrum
For the record, I'm not dead nor this project is. In the last weekend I worked on the OSS sensor hal (moto opened its sources in january), I brought it up to date and working on oreo, it will be included in the next build.
we are patiently waiting for ur msg.. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3TdrJyX.gif

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

AOSP is Android as Google release without other modifications, similar to Pixel/Nexus stock rom but without gapps.
    Features such as Chop Chop, Double Twist and Ambient display gestures are kept.
    Google does not release an AOSP Browser anymore since Marshmallow, thus there isn't a default browser. If I find the time I might port and revamp it in the future.

Installation
    Requires Unlocked Bootloader & a custom recovery (at least twrp-osprey-3.1.1-r3.img or newer release is needed)
    1. Place ROM & Gapps in your virtual SD
    2. Reboot in Bootloader Mode
    3. Go to "Recovery" (Vol +/Vol -) and confirm (power)
    4. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    5. Wipe Dalvik cache
    6. Install the ROM zip
    7. DO NOT REBOOT
    8. Install the Gapps zip (optional)
    9. Reboot

Downloads
    AndroidFileHost

Sources
    Device Tree
    Common Device Tree
    Kernel

XDA:DevDB Information
    The Android Open Source Project 8, ROM for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
    Alberto97
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2017-11-23
    Last Updated 2018-12-08
    Changelog

07/12/2018
    • December security patches
    • WiFi display enabled
    • BT mac address fixed
    • BFQ is the default IO scheduler
    • Flip to Mute: the phone now vibrates when you mute/unmute it, just like Google's Flip to shhh

08/09/2018
    • September security patches

07/08/2018
    • August security patches
    • Enforcing SELinux

20/07/2018
    • RIL method getOperatorResponse now properly returns the operator and as result framework methods in TelephonyManger (getNetworkOperatorName + getSimOperatorName) and SubscriptionManager (getCarrierName + getDisplayName) now work correctly (thanks chil360 for pointing out the issue)
    • Whatsapp videos should have been fixed (thanks chil360 again for pointing out the issue and Subinsmani for linking the first fix here)

05/07/2018
    • July security patches
    • Camcorder has been fixed
    • Offline charging now correctly works
    • Moved from HWC2 to HWC1
    • Kernel updated to LA.BR.1.2.9.1-02310-8x16.0 tag
    • Unified gestures menus
    • Moved to AOSP apns list
    • Backuptool has been implemented
    • Added Google Sans

04/04/2018
    • April security patches
    • Better fix for the Alarm Clock
    • Removed PicoTTS (it was not working anyway)
    • Possibility of setting Pixel color accent

13/03/2018
    • February and March security patches
    • Open source Sensor HAL
    • Enabled Round Icons
    • Removed IMS support

04/01/2018
    • Android 8.1
    • January security patches

16/12/2017
    • December security patches
    • Alarm clock fixed
    • Fixed crash when opening Mobile Network settings with 2 sims inserted
    • IMS Patch by @althafvly included

21/11/2017 - Initial Release
    The new build is finally available with February and March security patches included. As I previously mentioned I'm now using an open source Sensor HAL now (backstory here for the curious).
    Also round icons are now enabled. That fancy feature introduced with Nougat that became useless on Oreo due to adaptive icons. Though for some reason Google decided to enable the Chrome adaptive icon only on devices that come with this feature enabled and the more adaptive icons I see the happier I am...
    In the end I've also decided to remove IMS support, it's something that apparently I can't get to work here, I can't test directly and I've spent enough time on.
    A new build is out. I have to say that I'm not very lucky with this device lately and after losing my sources a couple of months ago I had to apply every hack again and at many points I can't deny I was tempted to drop the support for osprey but here we go!
    Camcorder is finally working as well as offline charging.
    Gestures menus have been unified.
    Graphic configuration has been reworked, I've switched back to HWC1 since HWC2 was causing performance issues and our platform does not really support it.
    Kernel and wlan drivers have been inlined with qcom's latest tag. In the end they decided to support it once more and in june they published the first oreo release for our platform.
    Backuptool has been implemented: you don't need to install gapps every time you dirty flash anymore, backuptool will do this for you and just like pixels, Google Sans is now being used in some places of the system; mainly settings titles.
    I've also moved to AOSP apns list to improve the ROM maintainability. If mobile data stops working after a clean flash, check your apns, it might be missing now if yours is a new carrier or a MVNO.
    Of course security patches of these missing months have been included system and kernel side both.

An advice: due to the whole rework/reapply of the support for this device, do a backup, I might have missing something and the device configuration based on the variant has totally changed.
    In the end bad news: after realizing the amount of hacks this device needs, almost likely I won't bring Android P on it.