[ROM][osprey] The Android Open Source Project 8.1

Search This thread

rahul9999

I installed with rom 21.12.17 pico gapps and have tried 12.12.17 gapps. But it doesn't help
As i told the issue must not be due to Gapps..
I have attached patched APK (replace it in /system/priv-app/TeleService/), after replaced this give a proper permission & restart you're device once (I have attached a screenshot for clarity)
Make sure you have Rooted & have a File manager (I'm using Mix Explorer) which can access root directory..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171222-184729.png
    Screenshot_20171222-184729.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 771
  • TeleService.apk
    6.7 MB · Views: 11

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
many ways to guide, many ways to heal
I installed with rom 21.12.17 pico gapps and have tried 12.12.17 gapps. But it doesn't help

just reinstall rom+gapps+motoZcamera and it works good

Yes, both 2112 and 1212 should be fine, Thanks. I had a prob with a 1218,
Did you wipe system during wipe? : twrp/wipe/advanced/select: dalvik/art,data,system, and cache - all 4. Do not select internal storage or SDcard as there is important stuff on there that you need. Not wiping system can leave old gapps and other junk in there as I have found.

Install app Catlog and the catlog widget. (need root)
Start Catlog once so it asks for permissions. then stop it.
Tap the widget to start recording and see if you can get your FC and then tap the catlog widget again and give me the log. It will be in internal storage in Catlog folder. Thanks. Sorry for this bit of trouble - no one else has experienced it yet.

Last edited:

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
It has been a long time since I installed a rom on my phone, at least a year and a half. So I decided tonight to give this one a try. The installation went pretty smoothly, and things seem to be running well for the most part with one exception. I can't install Netflix, not through Google or Amazon. Does anyone know where I can get a safe apk file from?

Subinsmani

Nov 18, 2016
Delhi, Trivandrum
It has been a long time since I installed a rom on my phone, at least a year and a half. So I decided tonight to give this one a try. The installation went pretty smoothly, and things seem to be running well for the most part with one exception. I can't install Netflix, not through Google or Amazon. Does anyone know where I can get a safe apk file from?
install magisk.. the app u mentioned here is in safety net protect.. so...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Selmak

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
Last edited:

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
install magisk.. the app u mentioned here is in safety net protect.. so...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

google play blocks it for custom ROMs.
Yes, majisk: it roots and passes safetynet. Do not use with SuperSU.

I see there's a new one: 1500 :
https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589

untested but probably fine. I'm running 1468. 1468 is at the bottom of that post.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know some apps were being blocked now. It was been awhile since I've played with any roms. I was still on an old Cyanogen Mod rom, and that one didn't have any issues with blocked apps. I am not familiar with Majisk, so I'll definitely check it out.

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
Thank you for the information. I didn't know some apps were being blocked now. It was been awhile since I've played with any roms. I was still on an old Cyanogen Mod rom, and that one didn't have any issues with blocked apps. I am not familiar with Majisk, so I'll definitely check it out.

This happened gradually over the past year or so.
It's easy to use. Flash ROM and gapps (if necessary) and install.
When you get to desktop, boot back to TWRP and flash magisk and boot.
You are now rooted and will pass safetynet.

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
This happened gradually over the past year or so.
It's easy to use. Flash ROM and gapps (if necessary) and install.
When you get to desktop, boot back to TWRP and flash magisk and boot.
You are now rooted and will pass safetynet.

Thanks again for the info. You know the funny thing is that I wasn't even going to bother rooting the phone this time around. I'm not really doing anything that requires it these days. In fact the reason I chose this rom is that I just wanted a simple stock like Oreo rom. How silly that I have to root it just to get a regular app like Netflix to work. It really makes you wonder what companies like that are thinking is going to happen when someone runs their app on a custom rom. They must be paranoid.

Edit: I installed Magisk, and it worked. Netflix is now installed, and seems to be working. Although I haven't tried casting to my TV yet. In general this rom seems to be pretty smooth, and stable. I did find as others have said that the video camera does not work. I didn't bother with the stock camera since that was already discussed. So I tried the Motorola Camera. The resulting video would not play at all. This is not a major issue for me as I don't take videos often, but it will be nice once it is working. Everything else seems good.

Last edited:

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
Thanks again for the info. You know the funny thing is that I wasn't even going to bother rooting the phone this time around. I'm not really doing anything that requires it these days. In fact the reason I chose this rom is that I just wanted a simple stock like Oreo rom. How silly that I have to root it just to get a regular app like Netflix to work. It really makes you wonder what companies like that are thinking is going to happen when someone runs their app on a custom rom. They must be paranoid.

Edit: I installed Magisk, and it worked. Netflix is now installed, and seems to be working. Although I haven't tried casting to my TV yet. In general this rom seems to be pretty smooth, and stable. I did find as others have said that the video camera does not work. I didn't bother with the stock camera since that was already discussed. So I tried the Motorola Camera. The resulting video would not play at all. This is not a major issue for me as I don't take videos often, but it will be nice once it is working. Everything else seems good.

As to what companies are worried about: It is very possible for a hacker to use a custom ROM in root, and then actively screw up sites like Netflix. Or so I believe. Thus the concern. We are very lucky to have @topjohnwu who spends tons of time updating majisk! I owe him a donation - later this month... Actually lots of folks owe him one...

Camera: I have only found a couple cameras that will work on video on these builds: footej and cameraFi2. For fun I tried many others with no success.

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
As to what companies are worried about: It is very possible for a hacker to use a custom ROM in root, and then actively screw up sites like Netflix. Or so I believe. Thus the concern. We are very lucky to have @topjohnwu who spends tons of time updating majisk! I owe him a donation - later this month... Actually lots of folks owe him one...

Camera: I have only found a couple cameras that will work on video on these builds: footej and cameraFi2. For fun I tried many others with no success.

It seems I owe some donations too. I'll have to try one of those cameras you listed. I also noticed that GPS Status can't get a lock. I think someone else mentioned that already though. Still a lot of things are working better for me than the last rom I was on. I'm pretty impressed considering how early this build is.

Extralars

Nov 8, 2016
Moto G4 Plus
Yes, Footej works great. Even saves video to portable formatted SD card. Its built-in gallery works fine too. I could easily rotate a video and save it. GPS-tagging also worked well. So practically, with Magisk and Footej, this excellent ROM is able to be a daily driver, in my opinion.

Last edited:

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
It seems I owe some donations too. I'll have to try one of those cameras you listed. I also noticed that GPS Status can't get a lock. I think someone else mentioned that already though. Still a lot of things are working better for me than the last rom I was on. I'm pretty impressed considering how early this build is.

GPS LOCK fluky!: Yes, on 8.x I have noticed that sometimes getting a lock in GPSFix and GPS Status is tricky. Went outside on the balcony and no-go, came inside and lock. Go figure! That odd behaviour will be with us until google realizes it and fixes it.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Yes, Footej works great. Even saves video to portable formatted SD card. Its built-in gallery works fine too. I could easily rotate a video and save it. GPS-tagging also worked well. So practically, with Magisk and Footej, this excellent ROM is able to be a daily driver, in my opinion.

Yes. Somebody discovered Footej very very early on in Alberto's LinOS 15. Alberto has shifted to this ROM to our great benefit. Yes, it is my daily driver in between testing. I mod to Pixel live wallpaper and Pixel launcher because I like that Peru beach. Toys!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Extralars

Extralars

Nov 8, 2016
Moto G4 Plus
One thing I have noticed is that when the phone is turned off and charging, you can't see how much it is charged at a certain point in time. It only reads ”??/100” on the display.

Extralars

Nov 8, 2016
Moto G4 Plus
Yes. I believe that is true for all 8.x ROMs. I do notice that the charge light generally lights when it is charged.
Okay, I didn't know that, thanks. I didn't notice that charging light, today, but I will see if it is there the next time I charge the phone. :good:

Edit: I was curious, so I charged it right away, and it did turn on the charging light when it was fully charged again.

Last edited:

adbhitman

Jul 31, 2015
Well seems like this rom have issue with connecting hidden wifi network (SSID is off). Wifi works fine when it is not hidden. Otherwise rom seems to be pretty good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3TdrJyX.gif

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

AOSP is Android as Google release without other modifications, similar to Pixel/Nexus stock rom but without gapps.
    Features such as Chop Chop, Double Twist and Ambient display gestures are kept.
    Google does not release an AOSP Browser anymore since Marshmallow, thus there isn't a default browser. If I find the time I might port and revamp it in the future.

Installation
    Requires Unlocked Bootloader & a custom recovery (at least twrp-osprey-3.1.1-r3.img or newer release is needed)
    1. Place ROM & Gapps in your virtual SD
    2. Reboot in Bootloader Mode
    3. Go to "Recovery" (Vol +/Vol -) and confirm (power)
    4. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    5. Wipe Dalvik cache
    6. Install the ROM zip
    7. DO NOT REBOOT
    8. Install the Gapps zip (optional)
    9. Reboot

Downloads
    AndroidFileHost

Sources
    Device Tree
    Common Device Tree
    Kernel

XDA:DevDB Information
    The Android Open Source Project 8, ROM for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
    Alberto97
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2017-11-23
    Last Updated 2018-12-08
    For the record, I'm not dead nor this project is. In the last weekend I worked on the OSS sensor hal (moto opened its sources in january), I brought it up to date and working on oreo, it will be included in the next build.
    And no, I will not maintain LineageOS 15.1 (don't talk about it here please).
    Changelog

07/12/2018
    • December security patches
    • WiFi display enabled
    • BT mac address fixed
    • BFQ is the default IO scheduler
    • Flip to Mute: the phone now vibrates when you mute/unmute it, just like Google's Flip to shhh

08/09/2018
    • September security patches

07/08/2018
    • August security patches
    • Enforcing SELinux

20/07/2018
    • RIL method getOperatorResponse now properly returns the operator and as result framework methods in TelephonyManger (getNetworkOperatorName + getSimOperatorName) and SubscriptionManager (getCarrierName + getDisplayName) now work correctly (thanks chil360 for pointing out the issue)
    • Whatsapp videos should have been fixed (thanks chil360 again for pointing out the issue and Subinsmani for linking the first fix here)

05/07/2018
    • July security patches
    • Camcorder has been fixed
    • Offline charging now correctly works
    • Moved from HWC2 to HWC1
    • Kernel updated to LA.BR.1.2.9.1-02310-8x16.0 tag
    • Unified gestures menus
    • Moved to AOSP apns list
    • Backuptool has been implemented
    • Added Google Sans

04/04/2018
    • April security patches
    • Better fix for the Alarm Clock
    • Removed PicoTTS (it was not working anyway)
    • Possibility of setting Pixel color accent

13/03/2018
    • February and March security patches
    • Open source Sensor HAL
    • Enabled Round Icons
    • Removed IMS support

04/01/2018
    • Android 8.1
    • January security patches

16/12/2017
    • December security patches
    • Alarm clock fixed
    • Fixed crash when opening Mobile Network settings with 2 sims inserted
    • IMS Patch by @althafvly included

21/11/2017 - Initial Release
    The new build is finally available with February and March security patches included. As I previously mentioned I'm now using an open source Sensor HAL now (backstory here for the curious).
    Also round icons are now enabled. That fancy feature introduced with Nougat that became useless on Oreo due to adaptive icons. Though for some reason Google decided to enable the Chrome adaptive icon only on devices that come with this feature enabled and the more adaptive icons I see the happier I am...
    In the end I've also decided to remove IMS support, it's something that apparently I can't get to work here, I can't test directly and I've spent enough time on.
    A new build is out. I have to say that I'm not very lucky with this device lately and after losing my sources a couple of months ago I had to apply every hack again and at many points I can't deny I was tempted to drop the support for osprey but here we go!
    Camcorder is finally working as well as offline charging.
    Gestures menus have been unified.
    Graphic configuration has been reworked, I've switched back to HWC1 since HWC2 was causing performance issues and our platform does not really support it.
    Kernel and wlan drivers have been inlined with qcom's latest tag. In the end they decided to support it once more and in june they published the first oreo release for our platform.
    Backuptool has been implemented: you don't need to install gapps every time you dirty flash anymore, backuptool will do this for you and just like pixels, Google Sans is now being used in some places of the system; mainly settings titles.
    I've also moved to AOSP apns list to improve the ROM maintainability. If mobile data stops working after a clean flash, check your apns, it might be missing now if yours is a new carrier or a MVNO.
    Of course security patches of these missing months have been included system and kernel side both.

An advice: due to the whole rework/reapply of the support for this device, do a backup, I might have missing something and the device configuration based on the variant has totally changed.
    In the end bad news: after realizing the amount of hacks this device needs, almost likely I won't bring Android P on it.