[ROM][osprey] The Android Open Source Project 8.1

Search This thread

Psicovirus

Apr 29, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Okay - not tryijng to rush you - heard my name in there :) Just want to check in and see if there's anything I need to do.

No man, all cool, just wanted to be clear in the procedure so I can flash everything right.

Can confirm all bugs reported by Rahul.

The 4636 bug was my fault, there weren't any phone apps set as default. Sorry.

Getting Inconsistent data network also, signal bars are full, but can't connect to any 2g, 3g, 4g networks, and when it does, it doesn't last too long. Anyone else?

Sorry I can't post any logs, without a PC is really difficult for me. But everything else that I can help, I'll be glad to do so.

rahul9999

No man, all cool, just wanted to be clear in the procedure so I can flash everything right.

Can confirm all bugs reported by Rahul.

The 4636 bug was my fault, there weren't any phone apps set as default. Sorry.

Getting Inconsistent data network also, signal bars are full, but can't connect to any 2g, 3g, 4g networks, and when it does, it doesn't last too long. Anyone else?

Sorry I can't post any logs, without a PC is really difficult for me. But everything else that I can help, I'll be glad to do so.
I haven't noticed any network inconsistent issues on this Rom yet.. About battery life i can say it's same & somewhat better than other Oreo Roms, but it's totally depends on you're usage.. If you have read my today's review clearly i got about 5 hour 55 min Sot & my battery was 11% at that time my phone got force shutdown, sadly today afternoon also same thing happened again.. This time also nothing in last Kmsg.. About taking on device running logs you can use Catlog app which is available on playstore, but u need to Root you're device (I'm using latest stable Magisk for root) first to use this app.

jihas08

Dec 29, 2016
Why osprey ROMs don't have the feature to find how many devices are connected in portable hotspot and to analyze them

Will you please that feature in next build

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
many ways to guide, many ways to heal
Last version ROM 8.1 - does not work FM radio.

It does indeed. It took me forever to find a useful radio app on GP - they all seem to want to do internet stuff and call it radio.
Found one called NextRadio Free Live FM Radio by NextRadio, plugged in some earbuds (needed as that is your antenna, and voila. I haven't done anything more with that program - it seems to scan automatically. I'm sure there are others out there. Some ROMs come with a radio app, not this one!

Reactions: Airtornado

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
It does indeed. It took me forever to find a useful radio app on GP - they all seem to want to do internet stuff and call it radio.
Found one called NextRadio Free Live FM Radio by NextRadio, plugged in some earbuds (needed as that is your antenna, and voila. I haven't done anything more with that program - it seems to scan automatically. I'm sure there are others out there. Some ROMs come with a radio app, not this one!

I have an FM radio app installed simply called "FM Radio". It must have come with the Gapps package I installed. There wasn't a listing of what came in the package. The package I used is named open_gapps-arm-8.0-micro-20171225. I'm still on the 8.0 build. So this Gapps package is for 8.0. I didn't seem to get anything that I didn't need, and it had all the basics covered. For some reason though I thought the FM radio app came with the rom, but I guess not.

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
I have an FM radio app installed simply called "FM Radio". It must have come with the Gapps package I installed. There wasn't a listing of what came in the package. The package I used is named open_gapps-arm-8.0-micro-20171225. I'm still on the 8.0 build. So this Gapps package is for 8.0. I didn't seem to get anything that I didn't need, and it had all the basics covered. For some reason though I thought the FM radio app came with the rom, but I guess not.

For this ROM I am on 8.1 and 8.1 gapps. It may be that if I took something like aroma there might be a radio in it but I habitually use nano. That may well change!

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
For this ROM I am on 8.1 and 8.1 gapps. It may be that if I took something like aroma there might be a radio in it but I habitually use nano. That may well change!

Yeah you may want to try moving one level from nano to micro. Worst case if you get stuff you don't want you can always go back next time.

rahul9999

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
I do not see a radio in micro, full, or aroma.

I opened my gapps zip file on my PC, and you are correct. I don't see a radio app in it, yet it is installed on my phone. If it's not part of the rom then I can't explain it. Could it somehow be part of the gapps package, but not have a separate file within it?

KrisM22

Sep 12, 2010
I opened my gapps zip file on my PC, and you are correct. I don't see a radio app in it, yet it is installed on my phone. If it's not part of the rom then I can't explain it. Could it somehow be part of the gapps package, but not have a separate file within it?

I suppose but don't know how. You would have to do a bit of flashing to find out... :(

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010
Does your radio app work?

Yes it works great. When I installed this rom I did a clean install, and wiped everything except my SD card. So the radio app had to come from the gapps package I used if it isn't built in to the rom. I just find it odd that I don't see a separate package for it within the gapps zip file. In any case I guess it really doesn't matter. It works, which is what counts.

Reactions: Airtornado

Psicovirus

Apr 29, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Friends, I don't know if I'm posting in the wrong thread, but there's any way in which I can make a flashable zip that installs all my user apps (whatsapp, instagram, etc) in the user partition and be update-able from the store? I would love to clean flash more quickly but not having WiFi everytime makes it harder since this is my daily driver.

samir.saurav

Jun 28, 2012
Hyderabad
OnePlus 7T
Friends, I don't know if I'm posting in the wrong thread, but there's any way in which I can make a flashable zip that installs all my user apps (whatsapp, instagram, etc) in the user partition and be update-able from the store? I would love to clean flash more quickly but not having WiFi everytime makes it harder since this is my daily driver.
Yes, you can. You need to have titanium backup Pro version to make a twrp flashable zip of all user apps + data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3TdrJyX.gif

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

AOSP is Android as Google release without other modifications, similar to Pixel/Nexus stock rom but without gapps.
    Features such as Chop Chop, Double Twist and Ambient display gestures are kept.
    Google does not release an AOSP Browser anymore since Marshmallow, thus there isn't a default browser. If I find the time I might port and revamp it in the future.

Installation
    Requires Unlocked Bootloader & a custom recovery (at least twrp-osprey-3.1.1-r3.img or newer release is needed)
    1. Place ROM & Gapps in your virtual SD
    2. Reboot in Bootloader Mode
    3. Go to "Recovery" (Vol +/Vol -) and confirm (power)
    4. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    5. Wipe Dalvik cache
    6. Install the ROM zip
    7. DO NOT REBOOT
    8. Install the Gapps zip (optional)
    9. Reboot

Downloads
    AndroidFileHost

Sources
    Device Tree
    Common Device Tree
    Kernel

XDA:DevDB Information
    The Android Open Source Project 8, ROM for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
    Alberto97
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2017-11-23
    Last Updated 2018-12-08
    For the record, I'm not dead nor this project is. In the last weekend I worked on the OSS sensor hal (moto opened its sources in january), I brought it up to date and working on oreo, it will be included in the next build.
    And no, I will not maintain LineageOS 15.1 (don't talk about it here please).
    Changelog

07/12/2018
    • December security patches
    • WiFi display enabled
    • BT mac address fixed
    • BFQ is the default IO scheduler
    • Flip to Mute: the phone now vibrates when you mute/unmute it, just like Google's Flip to shhh

08/09/2018
    • September security patches

07/08/2018
    • August security patches
    • Enforcing SELinux

20/07/2018
    • RIL method getOperatorResponse now properly returns the operator and as result framework methods in TelephonyManger (getNetworkOperatorName + getSimOperatorName) and SubscriptionManager (getCarrierName + getDisplayName) now work correctly (thanks chil360 for pointing out the issue)
    • Whatsapp videos should have been fixed (thanks chil360 again for pointing out the issue and Subinsmani for linking the first fix here)

05/07/2018
    • July security patches
    • Camcorder has been fixed
    • Offline charging now correctly works
    • Moved from HWC2 to HWC1
    • Kernel updated to LA.BR.1.2.9.1-02310-8x16.0 tag
    • Unified gestures menus
    • Moved to AOSP apns list
    • Backuptool has been implemented
    • Added Google Sans

04/04/2018
    • April security patches
    • Better fix for the Alarm Clock
    • Removed PicoTTS (it was not working anyway)
    • Possibility of setting Pixel color accent

13/03/2018
    • February and March security patches
    • Open source Sensor HAL
    • Enabled Round Icons
    • Removed IMS support

04/01/2018
    • Android 8.1
    • January security patches

16/12/2017
    • December security patches
    • Alarm clock fixed
    • Fixed crash when opening Mobile Network settings with 2 sims inserted
    • IMS Patch by @althafvly included

21/11/2017 - Initial Release
    The new build is finally available with February and March security patches included. As I previously mentioned I'm now using an open source Sensor HAL now (backstory here for the curious).
    Also round icons are now enabled. That fancy feature introduced with Nougat that became useless on Oreo due to adaptive icons. Though for some reason Google decided to enable the Chrome adaptive icon only on devices that come with this feature enabled and the more adaptive icons I see the happier I am...
    In the end I've also decided to remove IMS support, it's something that apparently I can't get to work here, I can't test directly and I've spent enough time on.
    A new build is out. I have to say that I'm not very lucky with this device lately and after losing my sources a couple of months ago I had to apply every hack again and at many points I can't deny I was tempted to drop the support for osprey but here we go!
    Camcorder is finally working as well as offline charging.
    Gestures menus have been unified.
    Graphic configuration has been reworked, I've switched back to HWC1 since HWC2 was causing performance issues and our platform does not really support it.
    Kernel and wlan drivers have been inlined with qcom's latest tag. In the end they decided to support it once more and in june they published the first oreo release for our platform.
    Backuptool has been implemented: you don't need to install gapps every time you dirty flash anymore, backuptool will do this for you and just like pixels, Google Sans is now being used in some places of the system; mainly settings titles.
    I've also moved to AOSP apns list to improve the ROM maintainability. If mobile data stops working after a clean flash, check your apns, it might be missing now if yours is a new carrier or a MVNO.
    Of course security patches of these missing months have been included system and kernel side both.

An advice: due to the whole rework/reapply of the support for this device, do a backup, I might have missing something and the device configuration based on the variant has totally changed.
    In the end bad news: after realizing the amount of hacks this device needs, almost likely I won't bring Android P on it.