[ROM][OTA][UNOFFICIAL] AOSiP Pie

Search This thread

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
The Situation: Previous rom: xiaomi.eu latest weekly beta Desired rom: AOSiP (Pie)

Steps:
-Wiped System, Cache, Dalvik/Art Cache, Data, Internal Storage
-Installed firmware (<100mb and from 2019, there is a newer one I think but that's what is told here)
-Installed rom, Error 7 ----> "Remove assertions from updater-script"-fix is not working
Did that first with TWRP, then with Orange Fox

What now? I heard that system partition may be wrong somehow (it didn't work prior to system wipe too though), how do I update system/vendor correctly? Download latest (Vendor or Firmware?) and flash with Mi Tool?? Afterwards flash the rom or the specified fw again?

Before trying anything else "FORMAT" data partition, wiping is not enough.

Well possible that it's not the cause but then before starting a thorougher troubleshooting first all known and easy steps should be done correctly.

Further: "(<100mb and from 2019," is not a valid description to tell which firmware you have installed. there is a number like for example

9.6.27 wich you probably have correct but always good to use the correct names for each file/zip you install so that there is no room for unrecognized errors. Also further this way of naming things only causes back and forth postings instead of single post provision of all needed input to make a proper assessment of the situation.

You need the 9.12.26 firmware

Also worth to mention:

Read here, go back to the 1st post on the matter and read until the 4th of May

and also have a look there:

and

and

and

just to get the greates amount of information on the or on similar matters.

Tazmaniiac

Oct 29, 2013
[Solved] Thx for the reply!

The firmware I always flashed before the actual rom is 9.12.26.
The fastboot stock rom is called nitrogen_global_images_V12.0.1.0.QEDMIXM_20201013.0000.00_10.0_global_7165e85aee.tgz

I already looked through most of this thread and found nothing that I could do different, maybe skip 9.12.26 fw install? I think someone here did it that way if I remember correctly?

Edit: Formatting data partition has not helped unfortunately, same with skipping 9.12.26 FW

If that matters: TWRP is latest from here, same with Orange Fox

EDIT 2: I think I found the problem, the rom zip was corrupted! When I unzipped it to check whether I really deleted the assertions I noticed some error messages by 7zip, so I redownloaded the rom and flashing worked like a charm!

Last edited:

Tazmaniiac

Oct 29, 2013
I have used this rom for a few days now and I'm mostly happy with it, gj to the devs :)

-However there are scrolling issues in all apps that rely on System Web View and Chrome... (especially quick) scrolling sometimes kills the momentum of the flick motion, sometimes it starts scrolling in the opposite direction. I will switch to a different main browser because of this, but in app browsers will stil suffer from that.
I have done some further testing, and noticed (by enabling "Show taps" in developer options) that touch inputs have a slight delay, which is probably the reason for the scrolling issue. I also noticed the same thing in my Launcher (Smart Launcher 3), where the gestures sometimes don't work. Most other apps however are not affected by this, be it browser like apps or Fluid Navigation Gestures for example.

-Some things don't feel as snappy as before, like Gboard, Swiftkey, and Fleksy keyboard. Maybe only the vibration feedback is delayed, maybe I'm getting crazy and it's actually alright, because sometimes it feels ok, or it could be because of the above mentioned thing.

-Double press powerbutton for torch (in Kronic settings) sadly doesn't work, it was one of my most used features in MIUI, and I haven't found a reliable replacement so far. Interestingly double press powerbutton for camera works, same with holding powerbutton for torch.

-Vibrate on USB plug doesn't work, the constant vibration used to remind me to get a new cable lol

-screen recording disables "show taps", but that shouldn't be a problem for anyone

I don't think this rom will ever get updated again, but if someone knows possible solutions for the mentioned issues please tell me!

Reactions: landsome

landsome

• May 4, 2015
    I have used this rom for a few days now and I'm mostly happy with it, gj to the devs :)

-However there are scrolling issues in all apps that rely on System Web View and Chrome... (especially quick) scrolling sometimes kills the momentum of the flick motion, sometimes it starts scrolling in the opposite direction. I will switch to a different main browser because of this, but in app browsers will stil suffer from that.
    I have done some further testing, and noticed (by enabling "Show taps" in developer options) that touch inputs have a slight delay, which is probably the reason for the scrolling issue. I also noticed the same thing in my Launcher (Smart Launcher 3), where the gestures sometimes don't work. Most other apps however are not affected by this, be it browser like apps or Fluid Navigation Gestures for example.

-Some things don't feel as snappy as before, like Gboard, Swiftkey, and Fleksy keyboard. Maybe only the vibration feedback is delayed, maybe I'm getting crazy and it's actually alright, because sometimes it feels ok, or it could be because of the above mentioned thing.

-Double press powerbutton for torch (in Kronic settings) sadly doesn't work, it was one of my most used features in MIUI, and I haven't found a reliable replacement so far. Interestingly double press powerbutton for camera works, same with holding powerbutton for torch.

-Vibrate on USB plug doesn't work, the constant vibration used to remind me to get a new cable lol

-screen recording disables "show taps", but that shouldn't be a problem for anyone

I don't think this rom will ever get updated again, but if someone knows possible solutions for the mentioned issues please tell me!

Thanks. I share some of these problems. Scrolling issues are particularly visible and annoying.

Is this an issue with all custom Android 9 ROMs, or just AOSiP?

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
    Al-Ándalus
    magnamentis.com
    Thanks. I share some of these problems. Scrolling issues are particularly visible and annoying.

Is this an issue with all custom Android 9 ROMs, or just AOSiP?

Generally speaking scolling issues are widely spread but I got rid of them by tweaking the kernel as well as by not using an external SD-Card.

There was a lengty discourse on the matter earlier in this thread while only those users who were willing and able to tweak the kernel had something like full success.

As far as I remeber i posted all the settings back then, my devices is untouched/not altered for over a year now and I'm not really in it anymore hence I recommend to search and read what's already there.

Don't be discouraged by those who refused to follow the steps and preferred to insist complaining. It's well possible to resolve the issue while there remains the possibility that other software components that I don't use as well as some setup differences and ultimately some hardware variations ( as most of us know CPUs and GPUs are in a range of peformance and not spot on identical in performance)
    can impact the level of success.

To tweak the kernel you need to be rooted, you need a good app like ElementalX Kernel tweaking app or Franco's app.

Reactions: landsome

sakoula

Feb 3, 2014
    Additional Info _ Not Opposing A Custom Kernel

One can tweak the built in kernel accordingly instead of flashing a custom kernel, just saying.

I posted a few helpful kernel tweaks in this very thread a few months back and it does not matter which kernel as long as te
    settings are same or similar.

AFR Kernel comes more or less with default settings of the kind i posted but can be had with default kernel as well.

I recommend EXKM (ElementalX Kernel Manager for the purpose) or of course the custom kernel.

Downside of using a custom kernel is that it might lose compatibilitiy in the future or with another rom that would set a user back to start.

Hi there @magnamentis ,

Thanks for your input in the thread! your posts have been of great help.

I looked into the thread and could not find the settings that you customized the kernel with. Is it possible to share there again?

I have been running AOSiP Pie for some months now without Root. I do not use an SD-Card and a single SIM. When rebooting the device the device it is running smooth and fast. As the hours/days pass the device is becoming slow and sluggish to the point that when I expect to open up the keyboard the keyboards comes on sceen after 3-4 sec. Also at this point rotating takes many many seconds. Rebooting solves everything.

You would say, ok this is a very general description of the problem. What do you have installed and what do you run, have you looked the logs? And you are right.

For some reason I want to see if rooting and tuning the kernel will improve the overall experience.

I also run the latest compatible TWRP and not the Orange one. I assume that this would not affect performance or anything like that.

BTW thanks again for your help!!!

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
    Al-Ándalus
    magnamentis.com
    Hi there @magnamentis ,

Thanks for your input in the thread! your posts have been of great help.

I looked into the thread and could not find the settings that you customized the kernel with. Is it possible to share there again?

I have been running AOSiP Pie for some months now without Root. I do not use an SD-Card and a single SIM. When rebooting the device the device it is running smooth and fast. As the hours/days pass the device is becoming slow and sluggish to the point that when I expect to open up the keyboard the keyboards comes on sceen after 3-4 sec. Also at this point rotating takes many many seconds. Rebooting solves everything.

You would say, ok this is a very general description of the problem. What do you have installed and what do you run, have you looked the logs? And you are right.

For some reason I want to see if rooting and tuning the kernel will improve the overall experience.

I also run the latest compatible TWRP and not the Orange one. I assume that this would not affect performance or anything like that.

BTW thanks again for your help!!!
    Long time since and info has bee spread over many posts hence I try to post a resume while due the fact that all works flawlessly ever since I mentally (awereness wise) lost a bit contact to the matter LOL 😇

The Values below are not checked as to how much they differ from defaults or if they differ at all, wouldn't want to check and redo, I simply mention those where I have "Apply On Boot" applied that hints to changes I've made.

- CPU-Governor both Clusters "Interactive

- Avoid using the SD-Card Slot in case it's not absolutely need which is rarely the case, after all cloud storages are huge nowadays and totally reliable and cheap.

- CPU Boots 300ms 0:1401600 1:1401600 2:1113600 3:1113600 4:1401600 5:1401600 6:1113600 7:1113600

- Cluster-1 minimum cores online: 2 ( max 4 )
    - Cluster-2 minimum cores online: 2 ( max 4 )

- Thermal Profile: Game

- GPU-Governor: performance

- GPU Initial frequency 266MHz

- I/O scheduler: noop

- Readahead: 4096 kb

Reactions: sakoula

sakoula

Feb 3, 2014
    Long time since and info has bee spread over many posts hence I try to post a resume while due the fact that all works flawlessly ever since I mentally (awereness wise) lost a bit contact to the matter LOL 😇

The Values below are not checked as to how much they differ from defaults or if they differ at all, wouldn't want to check and redo, I simply mention those where I have "Apply On Boot" applied that hints to changes I've made.

- CPU-Governor both Clusters "Interactive

- Avoid using the SD-Card Slot in case it's not absolutely need which is rarely the case, after all cloud storages are huge nowadays and totally reliable and cheap.

- CPU Boots 300ms 0:1401600 1:1401600 2:1113600 3:1113600 4:1401600 5:1401600 6:1113600 7:1113600

- Cluster-1 minimum cores online: 2 ( max 4 )
    - Cluster-2 minimum cores online: 2 ( max 4 )

- Thermal Profile: Game

- GPU-Governor: performance

- GPU Initial frequency 266MHz

- I/O scheduler: noop

- Readahead: 4096 kb

wow!!!

First of all thanks!!! I have never tweaked the kernel before.

I have enabled what you have described and the phone behaves totally different. As if it is a different device.

I assume this performance boost will impact the battery right? Have you seen changes on the battery?

Also for phycological reasons mostly after enabling all the settings using elementalx (apply on boot) and rebooted a couple of times the device I uninstall magisk. it seems that the performance stays the same. Do I have to have root every time I reboot to get these custom settings on the kernel?

Thanks!!!!

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
    Al-Ándalus
    magnamentis.com
    wow!!!

First of all thanks!!! I have never tweaked the kernel before.

I have enabled what you have described and the phone behaves totally different. As if it is a different device.

I assume this performance boost will impact the battery right? Have you seen changes on the battery?

Also for phycological reasons mostly after enabling all the settings using elementalx (apply on boot) and rebooted a couple of times the device I uninstall magisk. it seems that the performance stays the same. Do I have to have root every time I reboot to get these custom settings on the kernel?

Thanks!!!!
    Technically no. You can unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery and desired kernel but never flash superuser binary.

Since I never used any phone without rooting it before even finishing first setup ( for efficiency reasons ) I cannot tell you with 100% certainty whether there are functions that only work with root but since ElementalX app only offers tweakable options, other options are omitted from the interface, I suppose that what is there can be tweaked under the then current conditions/setup.

Impact on battery is for me not distinguishable which does not mean that there is none (there are no miracles in physics) but however it is, they are not significant enough to make a big difference.

Last but not least, even if a device is using a bit more juice while in use, since the devices get's things done faster it could well be that the balance at the ende is more or less leading to similar results for longevity. 110% more power used and 110% performance as compared to not tweaked means more or less same amount of juice per task.

Also the changes I made are in fact minor, just a few boost options that make the entire experiance more snappy and especially improves the well know scrolling issue that many encounter with the device.

Further I'm glad that it works for you and for more use case specific findings you have to observe and eventually react should any significant side-effects happen.

Keep in mind that identical device's hardware components have a relatively wide range of performance. CPUs as well as GPUs are from different batches of the same production line as well as from various producers/production plants and differ. You can read up about this, just search the web for it while modern devices do have a performance level where the differences are often marginal. I remember devices like the Nexus 5 where difference were significant and therefore recognizable but those are "Tempi Pasati"

Tazmaniiac

Oct 29, 2013
    I switched to GSIs now, but before I left this rom I narrowed the scrolling issues down to browsers that rely on system web view (which is based on chromium I think). The firefox browsers had no issues, if you opened a webpage for example via discord you could evade the problem by choosing a firefox browser. Now I found this Magisk module, which let's you switch your webview application: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-webview-switcher.3936964/
    The most recent versions have some installing issues but you can give it a try

Jun 3, 2014
    That firmware does not work with recent iterations of this ROM, hence you need a more updated firmware:

I'm using firmware_9.12.26.zip hence i cannot make any statement about newer firmware versions, only that this one works and
    your's, the older ones in general, don't.

I uploaded the file to my webserver, you can try to download, should work else let me know so i can try other means like dropbox to share the file with you.

Nevertheless i recommend to search on XDA where you find more info about firmware for this device, there are sources ;););)

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://magnamentis.com/WFH_Files/firmware_9.12.26.zip
    your link doesn't work, can't download

please reupload it since I can't find it anywhere

Last edited:
    Apr 14, 2019
    your link doesn't work, can't download

please reupload it since I can't find it anywhere
    it's there if you scroll down little bit. though not in obvious place. it's under "04. January 2020 pie-aosip Build"-section in assets.

or directly:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      kronic2_222222-000000-2196f3.png

Code:
      /*
       * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or any other messes you get yourself into.
       * I'm not your babysitter, your flash-guide nanny or your "do it for me" daddy. The usual copy-paste disclaimer applies:
       * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
       * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
       * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
       * Same statement for XDA.
       */

Ways to support / tip me :

What's working :
      • Boots
      • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
      • Fingerprint (FPC & Goodix)
      • Wi-Fi (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
      • Bluetooth
      • Camera (Camera2 API included)
      • Audio
      • Flash
      • Notification LED
      • VoLTE
      • GPS
      • IR Blaster
      • OTA
      • Probably more stuff I haven't tested.

Known issues:
      • The FM radio app can't output to speaker (yet)

Instructions :
      • Download the linked 9.6.27 firmware, latest build and OpenGApps (Micro suggested)
      • Reboot to recovery
      • Flash them: firmware first, build second, GApps third (Magisk fourth if you need it)
      • Reboot

Important notes :
      • If you intend to dirty-flash new builds make sure to first uninstall Substratum if you have it installed!
        Failure to do so will result in a black-screen (or other issues)!
        You've been warned.

Downloads :

XDA:DevDB Information
      [ROM][OTA][UNOFFICIAL] AOSiP Pie, ROM for the Xiaomi Mi Max 3

Contributors
      MrColdbird, mario_R, afr30010
      Source Code: https://github.com/Black-Seraph

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
      ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
      ROM Firmware Required: 9.6.27

Version Information

Created 2019-05-25
      Last Updated 2019-07-31
      New build is up.
      • AOSiP sources updated
      • June Android Security Patch
      New build is up.
      • Copied MIUI's hwui properties (the touchscreen / scrolling is now a lot smoother)
      I have been following your gsi thread, do you believe there are some positives coming out of a normal non-gsi rom rather than your previous work?
      Thank you by the way.
      It's smoother than GSIs, has no dual-sim issues (because we use the regular QTI IMS code from Qualcomm), it has better GPS support (because we use Qualcomm's IZAT & XTRA aided GPS service), etc.

I've even added a little kernel patch to the thing so that double-tap to wake can be cleanly toggled from the settings menu.

Overall: It's just a more pleasant experience.

EDIT: A new build is available.
      This build fixes a few mixer_path (speaker call) and passive voice-detection (ok google) issues.
      New build available:
      • Switched to msm-4.4 rebased kernel
      • Temporarily removed cultivation & impulse governor (they will come back in a future build)
      • Added wireguard support to the kernel
      • Pulled in upstream AOSiP changes
      • Updated blobs, firmware & trustzone to their 9.6.5 MIUI equivalent

IMPORTANT: This build ups the firmware requirement from 9.5.16 to 9.6.5!
      A new firmware bundle has been added to the opening post.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone