[ROM][PAYTON]Lineage OS 18.1

Jun 27, 2019
@warhead1721972 , just to check since you're using TWRP, when you switched ROMs are you wiping Dalvik, cache, data and system?

Also, are you reinstalling TWRP after flashing LOS? Because if you are, you must use the TWRP installer zip and not flash the TWRP image as that kernel isn't compatible with the ROM.
Hi, thanks for replying back. Yes, i do wipe dalvik cache, data and system before sideloading LOS. What i noticed is that LOS boots up normally if i dont flash GApps at all. Normally you flash GApps after rebooting the recovery to slot B right? If you just skip installing GApps completely, LOS works fine. But i really need some basic Playstore functionality, or i wd have used a ungoogled android anytime. Sometime back, i did flash LOS in my old Lenovo K8 Note with GApps, and it worked fine.
Just temporarily flashed ViperOS with GApps, to see if something is wrong with my handset, ViperOS works just fine. Why cant I install LOS?
Thanks for taking your time and helping me out, really appreciate the hard work yall do.

@vrishab

Jan 26, 2020
First i sideload the rom zip in slot A along with TWRP and then i reboot to the recovery to set the current slot to B and then flash GApps. On flashing it, there are no errors, but on booting up the system for the first time, i get redirected to TWRP. Is something wrong with my phone?
Till now i have been using ViperOS for quite some time, until i wanted to try something new. Really wanna give LOS a try.
if you get stuck in bootloop, reboot to bootloader and type in cmd/terminal: fastboot -w and reboot

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
@warhead1721972 I just flashed to boot the "lineage-18.1-20210211-UNOFFICIAL-payton-boot.img" and then factory reset and adb sideloaded the "copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip" and then adb sideloaded "lineage-18.1-20210211-UNOFFICIAL-payton.zip" and then reboot to recovery and sideloaded "MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210220_140101.zip" and I was able to sign into my Google account and finished setup and it's syncing my Google account without any bootloops.

I would recommend starting from scratch in your case though, flash a stock fbrom of your choice that is Android 9.0 (pie) as older device firmware is not supported. After that? Please try using Lineage Recovery instead of TWRP just in case for some reason that won't work for you and follow the same method I just did. (y)

Before I wanted to make recovery flashable device firmware zips but I totally bricked my payton and it was a pain to try and get blankflash going... so I only recommend fbrom flashes to ensure the device firmware is up to date

Jun 27, 2019
ive never used Lineage Recovery, where do u download it? and how to install?
What is "lineage-18.1-20210211-UNOFFICIAL-payton-boot.img "? How to install this? By sideloading or flashing thru TWRP?
Edit: I just did "fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210211-UNOFFICIAL-payton-boot.img" and now its stuck at the moto bootlogo image.
I cant switch it off bcz believe it or not, my power button is bust. It does not work. What should i do now?

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
@warhead1721972 hmm yikes! Broken power button definitely makes this more difficult... If it's stuck at the logo and your power button doesn't work? Your only real choice is to wait for the power to drain and then before you plug it in to charge then you must press and hold the volume down button so once it charges it'll just boot to bootloader

Jun 27, 2019
@warhead1721972 hmm yikes! Broken power button definitely makes this more difficult... If it's stuck at the logo and your power button doesn't work? Your only real choice is to wait for the power to drain and then before you plug it in to charge then you must press and hold the volume down button so once it charges it'll just boot to bootloader
Yup, just did that and now its in bootloader mode. Actually this happened many times before in a lot of different circumstances. Anyways, how to install the Lineage OS recovery? And how do i flash that "lineage-18.1-20210211-UNOFFICIAL-payton-boot.img "? Without having stuck in a bootloop ofc.
P.S- Thanks for not giving up on me yet :)

Sujanth

May 2, 2018
Heyyo, another test build is going up! The upload should be done within 30 minutes of this post and link to test builds are in the first post. lineage-18.1-20210202-UNOFFICIAL-payton contains fixes for the offline charging animation and for WiFi hotspot with WPA2 (it isn't merged yet on LineageOS, but hopefully it does before we go official on 18.1).

There is also some echo-reference changes so if someone could please test it with VoIP apps and see if there's still echo or not
I made a whatsapp call. And the quality was better than in lineagoes 17.1. At first i heard my voice twice, but only takes 5 seconds. Then it was ok. Here is the logcat.
Edit: Noticed screen flickering when i write only on plus messenger. I am on stock kernel and not installed magisk or any other mods. Also tried with gboard keyboard app, same issue. When I write on other apss, there is not such issues.

Attachments

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
@warhead1721972 , well you can do fastboot flash boot for that LOS recovery boot.img and then reboot to recovery, but fastboot flash boot should have worked which is odd... For some reason my Windows 10 PC or Ubuntu Mate 20.04 wouldn't let me use fastboot, but my Chromebook and my wife's Windows 7 Notebook did work, so if you can't use fastboot command on your PC you could try a USB live boot of Windows 10 or Ubuntu 14.04 or something?

@Sujanth thanks man I'll try to review those logs when I get some spare time... I'll be on night shift out of town for two weeks, so no idea if I will get spare time soon tbh...

Jun 27, 2019
@ThE_MarD It booted up!! Google apps works fine!! What i did:
>In bootloader i booted into twrp recovery using the command-
fastboot boot *insert twrp boot image.img*
>TWRP boots, wiped everything except my external sd card
>Went to advanced settings, enabled ADB Sideload
>Sideloaded the LineageOS rom zip
>Booted to LOS to check if everything works
>Booted back to Lineage Recovery using the advanced restart feature in LOS to restart in Lineage Recovery
>Went to Update-ADB Sideload update
>Sideloaded MindTheGApps
>Rebooted into LOS and boom. I was greeted by the Google screen.

Somehow flashing GApps using TWRP doesnt work. I think this is a bug in TWRP?
Thanks @ThE_MarD for helping me out on this!!
Edit: Moto Gestures like chop chop for flashlight and twist for camera does not work in LOS?

Last edited:

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Off topic, but have to post this. I love this phone, and this community is awesome at porting new versions quickly. You devs out there rock. I'm gonna be using this device for the next 10 years, I can already tell

Crystawth

Sep 9, 2011
I do apologize if this is somewhat off topic, but I don't really know much about the differences between operating systems and I was wondering;

what is the fundamental difference between 17.1 and 18.1? And if I already have 17.1 installed on my device what actual legitimate reasons should I have for putting 18.1 on it?