• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] Phh-Treble [AOSP 9.0]

Search This thread

moonraker7

Oct 15, 2016
With Huawei security concerns in the news recently, I wanted a daily replacement vanilla ROM for EMUI, including TWRP backup (unencrypted data) for my 8.4" SHT-W09.

Phh-Treble by @phhusson is by far the best I've tried so far - everything seems to work including bluetooth - although I've yet to try NFC. I don't pretend to be an expert, everything is at your own risk etc and can probably be done slightly differently, but here's my working method:

1. Start with an unlocked bootloader - achieved by following these instructions by @Appo11on
2. Install ROM using instructions in the first link - Mediapad M5 is arm64, A only and you'll probably need Gapps or Floss
3. Immediately factory reset using stock recovery - I had to flash it back to recovery_ramdisk, as extracted from full stock firmware using HuaweiUpdateExtractor, found in this root guide, also by @Appo11on
4. Flash this TWRP by @schwabe93 using instructions in the root guide above - @Pretoriano80's TWRP wouldn't progress through it's start screen
5. Install Magisk by @topjohnwu (I used v18.0) using TWRP, then boot to system
6. Display is blurry until enabling the workaround in Phh Treble settings - takes a min or 2 to stick
7. Enjoy rooted, encrypted Treble Pie ROM

To remove encryption:
8. Edit vendor/etc/fstab.hi3660 using these instructions by @PPCholic - devices other than SHT-W09 may have a slightly different filename
9. Flash back to stock recovery_ramdisk, factory reset again and boot ROM
10. Follow points 4 - 6 again and enjoy rooted unencrypted Treble Pie ROM

Bye bye EMUI, thanks for the memories!

Ivanbarker

Dec 3, 2012
Widevine L3 means it won't play Netflix and possibly Amazon Prime Video at HD rates. I'm trying to figure out if HD playback is more important than not having EMUI.

Yar, disappointed! I was hoping it'd have L1 like the OpenKirin ROMs.

*EDIT* By installing this ROM, it will get rid of EMUI.... and then I could install Viper4Android? Correct? ;)

kev1807

Jan 17, 2011
Heidelberg
has anyone been able to set up any cloud services with this?
I wonder, how openkirin does their Widevine L1 - trick. I do not want to use netflix with less than HD, as I am paying lots of money for the account ... :-/

Haven't found a way of adding it so far (+ I am no developer of any kind ....)

Michiel0912

Apr 27, 2012
Nope, first I tried to downgrade but did not work. I tried to unlock through FunkyHuawei but they refunded me after 14 days. In the end I returned it and planned to stay with my 2015 Samsung Tab S2 a little longer.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Ah, and since the last update APT X HD also disappeared.

Reactions: Obveron

DominatingSystem

Jun 4, 2009
Huawei Security Concerns?
Well I guess this thread is only for panic USA Trump user's right? I don't know what all people shout against Huawei...that is an old discussion and now the USA is scary...and apple too.

committed extortion against Germany and Poland. Here is the US this time the asshole, not Huawei.

I have an option for u. Very safe and easy installation.

aluhut_anleitung.png.client.x675.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With Huawei security concerns in the news recently, I wanted a daily replacement vanilla ROM for EMUI, including TWRP backup (unencrypted data) for my 8.4" SHT-W09.

Phh-Treble by @phhusson is by far the best I've tried so far - everything seems to work including bluetooth - although I've yet to try NFC. I don't pretend to be an expert, everything is at your own risk etc and can probably be done slightly differently, but here's my working method:

1. Start with an unlocked bootloader - achieved by following these instructions by @Appo11on
    2. Install ROM using instructions in the first link - Mediapad M5 is arm64, A only and you'll probably need Gapps or Floss
    3. Immediately factory reset using stock recovery - I had to flash it back to recovery_ramdisk, as extracted from full stock firmware using HuaweiUpdateExtractor, found in this root guide, also by @Appo11on
    4. Flash this TWRP by @schwabe93 using instructions in the root guide above - @Pretoriano80's TWRP wouldn't progress through it's start screen
    5. Install Magisk by @topjohnwu (I used v18.0) using TWRP, then boot to system
    6. Display is blurry until enabling the workaround in Phh Treble settings - takes a min or 2 to stick
    7. Enjoy rooted, encrypted Treble Pie ROM

To remove encryption:
    8. Edit vendor/etc/fstab.hi3660 using these instructions by @PPCholic - devices other than SHT-W09 may have a slightly different filename
    9. Flash back to stock recovery_ramdisk, factory reset again and boot ROM
    10. Follow points 4 - 6 again and enjoy rooted unencrypted Treble Pie ROM

Bye bye EMUI, thanks for the memories!
    How is battery life? Is Bluetooth LDAC available?
    Nope, first I tried to downgrade but did not work. I tried to unlock through FunkyHuawei but they refunded me after 14 days. In the end I returned it and planned to stay with my 2015 Samsung Tab S2 a little longer.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Ah, and since the last update APT X HD also disappeared.
    2 offtopic posts related to personal opinions on how much "safe" are other devices compared to others have been removed, please talk about these things on an appropriate thread or simply create your own.
    Thanks for understanding!
    Damn I wish somebody would make a ROM like this for the 10" screen. :(

The hardware in the 8" and 10" tablets are the same I thought?
    I would imagine being that this is a "treble" ROM there would be no issue with the difference in screen size, its even the same amount of pixels?

Can anyone confirm if this is working on the 10" version?