[ROM][PIE] LineageOS 16 (UNOFFICIAL) [31.03.2019][S9/S9+]

Search This thread

Cecillatour

Sep 19, 2017
Tried that ROM as well. Nice and performant!
I am currently missing the mail client with exchange services, but I migrated that from Rainbow_Dash's LOS16.
Will probably switch to it as daily driver next weekend...
I also tried it for a couple of hours yesterday. Battery life and performance is great. However, there are still some issues: SElinux is permissive, Netflix is not working, SD card is not recognised a couple of minutes after booting. All these issues were fixed in Rainbow Dash's PE ROM from February. I hope they get fixed soon for this new LOS. Otherwise, it is a major breakthrough as HWC is now working. Details will be polished eventually.

stefanbajer

Jul 15, 2015
Karlstad
I also tried it for a couple of hours yesterday. Battery life and performance is great. However, there are still some issues: SElinux is permissive, Netflix is not working, SD card is not recognised a couple of minutes after booting. All these issues were fixed in Rainbow Dash's PE ROM from February. I hope they get fixed soon for this new LOS. Otherwise, it is a major breakthrough as HWC is now working. Details will be polished eventually.

My SD card works fine.

Reactions: bdwilk

Andrw0830

Mar 2, 2013
My SD card works fine.

I posted on the Telegram group. The SD Card appears not to be mounted until you enter your screen lock, then you see the persistent notification about the SD Card. If you type in 'sm set-force-adoptable true' in terminal or adb, you will then get the checking sd card followed by the option to setup your sd card as either Portable or internal storage. Be aware if you click internal your SD Card will be wiped so make a backup. If you choose Portable, I no longer get the persistent notification that I have to clear of the status bar. You will still get the Checking SD Card message which somehow is tied to the SD Card not mounting immediately when the phone boots and only does after unlocking the phone.

Here is more info about this bug that the kite device also has the issue to hopefully help answer what could cause this issue: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/issues/496

I agree that this ROM is awesome and glad HWC is finally fixed. The only main issue for me is Google Voice Match is greyed out which a few months ago was fixed on other AOSP ROMs so the Google Libs are probably not added to this version.

Last edited:

bdwilk

May 17, 2016
American/Philippines
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5T
I posted on the Telegram group. The SD Card appears not to be mounted until you enter your screen lock, then you see the persistent notification about the SD Card. If you type in 'sm set-force-adoptable true' in terminal or adb, you will then get the checking sd card followed by the option to setup your sd card as either Portable or internal storage. Be aware if you click internal your SD Card will be wiped so make a backup. If you choose Portable, I no longer get the persistent notification that I have to clear of the status bar. You will still get the Checking SD Card message which somehow is tied to the SD Card not mounting immediately when the phone boots and only does after unlocking the phone.

Here is more info about this bug that the kite device also has the issue to hopefully help answer what could cause this issue: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/issues/496

I agree that this ROM is awesome and glad HWC is finally fixed. The only main issue for me is Google Voice Match is greyed out which a few months ago was fixed on other AOSP ROMs so the Google Libs are probably not added to this version.
What? Sdcard is fine. I don't know what you've done. Also Netflix is working fine as well. Seems you need to fix something on your end. My screenshot is unmodded playstore Netflix too.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190628-061931_Google_Play_Store.png
    Screenshot_20190628-061931_Google_Play_Store.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot_20190628-061908_MiXplorer.png
    Screenshot_20190628-061908_MiXplorer.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 294

Andrw0830

Mar 2, 2013
What? Sdcard is fine. I don't know what you've done. Also Netflix is working fine as well. Seems you need to fix something on your end. My screenshot is unmodded playstore Netflix too.

Haven't done anything every AOSP with the S9 I've flashed when you boot it up, you will see a SD Card icon on the status bar and it says 'Samsung SD Card' Explore and Eject options are shown below that. I've tried formatting as either exFAT or Fat32 and even tried formatting in TWRP since I've had my S9 and with only AOSP do I get this prompt. Enabling Adoptable Storage is the only thing I've noticed that fixes that persistent prompt. Maybe it's certain SD Cards with certain sizes that does it, but this is what mine does and been flashing ROMs and built some ROMs since S2 so know a bit when it comes to AOSP. Even as a last test, put my SD Card in my S7 which doesn't have this issue so it's related to something within the S9 at least for me. I am also on the CSF2 vendor and boot loader so I am up-to-date on my G960F.

bdwilk

May 17, 2016
American/Philippines
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5T
Haven't done anything every AOSP with the S9 I've flashed when you boot it up, you will see a SD Card icon on the status bar and it says 'Samsung SD Card' Explore and Eject options are shown below that. I've tried formatting as either exFAT or Fat32 and even tried formatting in TWRP since I've had my S9 and with only AOSP do I get this prompt. Enabling Adoptable Storage is the only thing I've noticed that fixes that persistent prompt. Maybe it's certain SD Cards with certain sizes that does it, but this is what mine does and been flashing ROMs and built some ROMs since S2 so know a bit when it comes to AOSP. Even as a last test, put my SD Card in my S7 which doesn't have this issue so it's related to something within the S9 at least for me. I am also on the CSF2 vendor and boot loader so I am up-to-date on my G960F.
That is weird. I get the notification after a reboot but it just swipes away and there's no issues with using the card. I'm just using SanDisk 32gb card. Nothing special.

Cecillatour

Sep 19, 2017
That is weird. I get the notification after a reboot but it just swipes away and there's no issues with using the card. I'm just using SanDisk 32gb card. Nothing special.
I have noticed that SD card issue comes up only if I try to enable SElinux enforcing via MTweaks app. If I leave SElinux permissive the SD card is mounting properly.

I guess SElinux permissive keeps a lot of things together in this new ROM - which is often done by devs with new ROMs. The moment you switch to enforcing, problems start.

I am glad that you told us that Netflix works on your side. It gives me hope that it may eventually work on my device too.

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
I've been running the LOS 16 build for over 2 days now. HWC fixed. It's a really good ROM without any issues whatsoever. Daily driver for sure. Now just waiting on the rest of the ROMs to pop up.

Is there any chance that you can convince the developer starting a thread here at XDA?
I'm pretty sure that it would be much appreciated.
And it could be an advantage for him as well, e.g. having a traceable conversation.
*Fingers crossed*

Dominic.B

Jan 5, 2014
Navi Mumbai
Is there any chance that you can convince the developer starting a thread here at XDA?
And it could be an advantage for him as well, e.g. having a traceable conversation.
*Fingers crossed*
May be they'll do that after checking feedback from the first test build. So far, it seems pretty stable to me.Screenshot_20190628-171152_Settings.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dominic.B

Jan 5, 2014
Navi Mumbai
Good to hear. Maybe like they said so or just your personal estimation?
Personal

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

Nothing wrong I think , but the rom is not smooth at all , everything works well but the rom is laggy
I WIPED system/data/cache the flashed the vendor then flashed the rom then boot into system then reboot to recovery again flash gappe/kernel/magisk
I did same. Except I flashed everything in one go. Works very fine for me. But before that, I'd also wiped internal storage, following which I copied the files in the phone and then began flashing in recovery. Vendor, los16, gapps, kernel, magisk. Added all zips one behind other and flashed at one go. Success.

Rom is super smooth and very fluid. No problem whatsoever at all.

bdwilk

May 17, 2016
American/Philippines
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5T
Nothing wrong I think , but the rom is not smooth at all , everything works well but the rom is laggy
I WIPED system/data/cache the flashed the vendor then flashed the rom then boot into system then reboot to recovery again flash gappe/kernel/magisk
Are you talking about the ROM from this thread or the one we're using from telegram? We've just hijacked this thread. The one from here doesn't have HWC fix.

If you're saying you flashed the telegram build and still have lags then there is 100% something wrong on your end. I've been using this for days and had not one lag.

Akhayev

Nov 9, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Personal

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

I did same. Except I flashed everything in one go. Works very fine for me. But before that, I'd also wiped internal storage, following which I copied the files in the phone and then began flashing in recovery. Vendor, los16, gapps, kernel, magisk. Added all zips one behind other and flashed at one go. Success.

Rom is super smooth and very fluid. No problem whatsoever at all.
Okay after flashing the ROM your way it looks like it is working better and smoother , but is there a way to make pixel launcher work ? I tried with quickswitch but didn't work

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Are you talking about the ROM from this thread or the one we're using from telegram? We've just hijacked this thread. The one from here doesn't have HWC fix.

If you're saying you flashed the telegram build and still have lags then there is 100% something wrong on your end. I've been using this for days and had not one lag.
Yes I'm talking about the ROM in telegram with working hwc

bdwilk

May 17, 2016
American/Philippines
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5T
*Fingers crossed*
He has a telegram chat with real time feedback. I'm sure that's all he needs.

Akhayev

Nov 9, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Okay after flashing the ROM your way it looks like it is working better and smoother , but is there a way to make pixel launcher work ? I tried with quickswitch but didn't work

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Yes I'm talking about the ROM in telegram with working hwc
And what camera are u using? Cos gcam didn't work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2Fy-LtXHGCDBH0KxFw9MxWAPF3guk%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252F2okPze5.png

Note: This is not a ROM based on the ROM shipped with your device. Exynos variants such as International (F), International Dual(Hybrid)-SIM (F/DS), Korean (N) ONLY. In NO way it is compatible with Snapdragon variants including but not limited to American(U/U1/A/T/P/V), Chinese(0/8/6), Hong Kong(0), Japanese(SC-*), Canadian(W) variants.

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9.0 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

This it not a GSI. It is built on actual device trees

What's not working?
    - The signalbar always shows 0 bars,altho this has no impact or call quality or data.
    - HWC is currently disabled
    Obviously Samsung's own features such as Samsung Pay, KNOX, Theme Center, Game Launcher, etc. won't be ported to LineageOS. We may have our own implementation to similar functions, though.
    Iris sensor does not work because AOSP upstream does not support that yet.
    IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc). Samsung has their own proprietary implementation. It is not really possible to easily port that to LineageOS .

What's working?
    Anything not specifically listed as not working

Instructions:
    Make sure:TWRP has been installed and functional;
    you are on the CSB8 based vendor and fw
    Download the latest build (and optionally gapps).
    Reboot to recovery
    Wipe data and cache (required if you switch from other ROMs)
    Flash the latest build (and gapps)
    (optional) flash magisk for root
    Reboot and enjoy :highfive:

Downloads:
    Galaxy S9 starlte (G960F/FD/N) : HERE

Galaxy S9+ star2lte (G965F/FD/N): HERE

CSB8 vendor: HERE

Providing feedback:
    You are more than welcome to provide any kind of feedback here.
    (limited only to feature requests)

Changelog:

merged source with ELS and synced LOS
    not much
    Increased vibration strenght
    Added walrus's smooth hax (which might be snake oil)
    Added vendor version check at boot
    Synced kernel sauce with CSA2
    Initial release Boi

Troubleshooting/FAQ:

Q: I'm on a dualsim variant and (a) sim isn't detected.
    A: Try reinserting your sim and rebooting. This wierdly nuff only happens on some* dualsim variants and no one has sent me a logcat yet.

Q: My mobile data (3G/4G) is not working/only 3g shows
    A: Go into mobile network settings and select/create an apn, also select 4G as the preferred network type.

Q: How does this compare to GSIS?
    A: Much better all around. Faster,smoother etc. I don't think there's any reasons to use pie gsis anymore.

Q: How good is the camera?
    A: Actually,(by my standards), pretty good. Almost comparable to stock. Ofc the aosp cam doesn't have the fancy filtering, features and stuff but by far not bad. Alot better than 8.1 roms anyway.

Q: Safetynet doesn't pass?
    A: Yeah, i guess that's a thing. Go into magisk and download some module called props hide or something. Don't forget to run it from terminal. It should work from there

Q: The rom isn't booting/camera doesn't work
    A: Flash/make sure you have the CSB8 vendor and fw, and try again. This has been tested. It's prolly something on ur end.

Q: I have another bug; How can i tell it to you while slightly increasing my changes of it ever getting fixed.
    A: You can tell me what's going on either here or on telegram WITH A LOGCAT attached(required);if rom isn't booting at all attach /proc/last_kmsg.

Q: I don't know what/how to logcat. Is it really necessary?
    A: Logcat or gtfo

Q: How can i support you?
    A: Awwww thanks;On most of my posts on the left side there's a "donate to me" paypal button;. Send the seal some fish. Seriously. The seal realllyyyyy loves fish. You can do that,donations are more than welcome, or if you don't have any $ to spare you can also post here about how awesome i am (this surprisingly helps very much)

Credits:
    BIG thankies to @Ivan_Meler. He was at the center of all of this, and he single handedly did the pie bringup
    Jesec for the initial trees
    The LineageOS team for creating the rom we so do enjoy
    Many good people from the telegram group (linked above) that helped me create this project and spamming for etas
    @malinathani for being a coolboi and misc help (up until he got an oneplus6t, now he lameboi)

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 16, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Contributors
    Rainbow_Dash, Ivan_Meler,jesec
    Source Code: [url]http://github.com/rainbowdashh[/URL]

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: CSB8 vendor and fw
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2019-02-12

Created 2019-02-12
    Last Updated 2019-03-31
    Hello there, ex-fellow hwc-less plebs
    tell me, how is client composition treating you?
    3hr sot? vary sad, can't relate.

jk, on a serious note, HWC HAS BEEN FIXED. This itself brings many improvements with it but needs some testing.
    also signalbar is now working sooo.... expect an update soon
    Wow Ivan is the one true king of Galaxy.
    It took him less than a year while other devs gave up.

less than a hour tbh i was just a bit lazy and didnt touch s9 for quite some time
    he will never release the fixed version unfortunately.. whenever someone asks he bans the person..

Moderator Edit: Comments regarding other member's "backgounds" contravenes the Forum Rules...

Also the next update is far from complete. Much was broken in the process and it's being fixed. I never said, nor is it true that i won't release the update whenever it is finished
    Who's Alex? OP? Where did he say this? I can only see him saying the HWC enabled build needs to be tested.
    That's me. And i said it on the tg group. And yes, that is true and what's holding back a release. We have somewhat an idea why it's not working

That and my sudden addiction to minecraft.