• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Pie] MR1 and MR2 Stock Deodexed

Search This thread

oRAZY

Jan 1, 2016
Can we take OTA updates on this rom or do I have to flash stock rom this popped up just a minute ago and wondering if it's safe to take it will it brick the device.:confused:

You can't simply update. Just tried. You will get an error. I guess it's because of root. But I assume you would just need to flash magisk after. Not sure, could as well brick your device:confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191014-055639.png
    Screenshot_20191014-055639.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 529
Reactions: MisfitPanda01

MisfitPanda01

May 27, 2016
You can't simply update. Just tried. You will get an error. I guess it's because of root. But I assume you would just need to flash magisk after. Not sure, could as well brick your device:confused:

So if we want the update we would have to unroot with the stock files from razers site. Awe well I'd rather just keep the root and use this rom if that's the case.

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Can we take OTA updates on this rom or do I have to flash stock rom this popped up just a minute ago and wondering if it's safe to take it will it brick the device.:confused:
If you have a custom recovery it won't update. It won't harm your device , it will download then when it tries to boot to the stock recovery it wont be able to cuz you've flashed TWRP as your recovery. So I'm betting you'll at least have to flash the stock recovery to get the update. But it then may not jive with that Ron you're running. Don't think it will brick it. Just prolly won't do more than start the flashing process which always starts with verifying the system. Once it sees that you dont have the stock system it will most likely fail and let you reboot back to your system you're own now.

sadra_nsh

Nov 30, 2011
hi, I am totaly new to razer phone 2 and android! (coming from iphone 5s)
just want to know about trade off for installing custom roms

is there any major problem with current rom?

will I loose any kind of hardware on this rom? ( like bluetooth, nfc , ... )? will the battery drain faster in comparison with current update(android 9 update of late semtember)?
will I loose the ability to get back to razer future update(if they release any)?

is there any other rom support like pixel experience for this device ?

Does it worth to change rom? I have bad experiece of touching original rom on other phones(like HTC desire C, Xperia S ) they all had battery draning problems and some other... .

MisfitPanda01

May 27, 2016
Anyone elses calculator like this? Needed a quick calculation in class and it was like this tried force closing it clearing all data of the app and it still stays the same wondering if it's just me having this issue where everything is just the addition symbol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191024-081157.png
    Screenshot_20191024-081157.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 113

tard24

Oct 20, 2012
Kennesaw, GA
Samsung Galaxy S20
Clicking that didn't change anything for me :( it still says RAD after clicking that and it still remains addition symbols, I mean it's not a serious issue I ended up just using the calculator on my laptop but was just wondering why it was doing this
Might be the font you're using, try switching to a different font and see if that works.

NectarJoe

Sep 27, 2019
The usual with newer members, so I'm sorry if this question seems unskillful. I have had the zipalign and deodexed version installed previously.. with root and all that jazz.

Today I went to stock, installed update (September). Successfully installed Arter kernel with the stock rom (MR2 Sept), installed magisk & have a rooted RP2.

I want substranum support and have allot of fun with themeing ... So I'm glad I made it here without all the issues I was reading about was waiting for the right time to do get the update and be happily rooted again.

Here's where it might sound silly... If I flash this am I going to loose my MR2 update... ???? Will the ROM overwrite my OTA?

I expect it will be incompatible with my recent update... but figured I'd ask here and hopefully someone skilled could give me some advice or knowledge on why this will or won't work.

(Flash this I mean MR1 deodexed and zip.....)
Thanks!:eek:

Last edited:

wireproof

Jul 17, 2013
Cheney, WA
wireproof.net
I too am curious. Just got my RP2 today, running MR2 Sept with magisk and setting up my apps. Running this as a third phone, so not my main SIM. Looking for themes as well, hoping this might get an update, even if I have to start all over again. Thanks!

wireproof

Jul 17, 2013
Cheney, WA
wireproof.net
Alright, it's my day off and I decided to mess around with this. Originally with my current setup I restored to MR1 3110 update via Razer's restore batch program, left both bootloader and critical unlocked, and booted into system. Performed the update to MR2 Sept 2019 and installed that, rebooted, and flashed arter97 R12 kernel and used twrp to install f2fs vold mod and magisk, into system and setup for a few weeks that was great except the themes and not being able to screenshot in certain apps, apk signatures, etc. I wanted more control so I saw this, and today I did a complete NANDROID backup just to be able to fix something because I knew I would mess something up in the process. So I have the MR2 Sept 2019 update installed to Slot B and I went into TWRP and did my NANDROID backup, then switched it to Slot A (with the MR1 3110 firmware, since MR2 Sept 2019 installed to Slot B with the new partition scheme) Once Slot A was installed, I wiped Davlik/ART and Data, formatted to f2fs and installed arter97, f2fs, vold mod, and then this modified rom, then magisk and rebooted to system just fine! So now Slot A has this ROM, and Slot B has the one I was using the last few weeks. I'm trying to restore the NANDROID backup to Slot B, redoing all these steps to confirm and see if its possible to keep the data partition untouched and see what happens. If it doesn't work, worst comes to worst I have to start fresh with a clean data partition but if it keeps my data and it works then its a win win. I'll keep this updated in the future.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Quick update: before you do a NANDROID backup, make sure you remove your lockscreen pattern or PIN! The steps worked, and it restored all data but the lockscreen pattern is always wrong even tho it was right, so disable that first then do the NANDROID backup steps first. If any other problems come up I'll update again.

Reactions: Warrior1988

wireproof

Jul 17, 2013
Cheney, WA
wireproof.net
Update 2: So after some tinkering I finally got it working!

So I was running MR2 September 2019 update with arter97 kernel, f2fs file system, vold mod, and magisk in slot B (from the batch file from Razer MR1 3110, did the update to MR2 and then unlocked bootloader and critical). From there I did a NANDROID backup and then went into TWRP, changed to slot A (with the MR1 3110 update, slot B has MR2) and flashed in this order: arter97 kernel, this ROM from OP, f2fs, vold mod, magisk, rebooted to make sure it worked and after 10-15 minutes got the setup screen! Then, I formatted data as f2fs again and restored the data partition from the NANDROID backup and the lockscreen wouldn't accept my passcode or pattern! So I went back into TWRP and went to file manager, /data/system and deleted locksettings.db and I rebooted and was in without a passcode! All apps and settings were there as well, just a few apps required a resign in like my bank and GBoard needed its settings fixed again but a few minor things and I've successfully gone from MR2 Sept 2019 to MR1 with this ROM and able to screenshot my bank, got Swift Installer working (kinda WIP) and so far so good! Just need to disable the system updates now.

Reactions: NectarJoe

GalacticGLI

Dec 3, 2019
Thank you I did actually fix it but was a little bit miffed by his comment

How did you fix it?

I flashed the zip in TWRP and now my phone infinitely displays the normal boot animation. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I've ran custom ROMs all the time on my Nexus 6P, the Razer Phone 2 is the first device I've used with this new boot partition scheme. There is hardly any documentation or guides for this device, so I'm pulling my hair out.

Seriously, the installation instructions for this ROM is literally "Install ROM"

That's the least helpful thing I have ever heard of.

Top Liked Posts