ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11.3.0

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP • Pixel 2
Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
v11.2.0: Imgur album
v11.3.0: Imgur album

Installation
This ROM is distributed as a full OTA package that can be flashed in TWRP. Don't forget to wipe data before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no requirement for which ROM or version you are coming from.

Features
• Better performance and battery life than stock
• Refined UI: typography, colors, tweaks, frosted glass blur, custom dark theme, builtin wallpapers, accent color options
• Modern default settings: navigation, sounds, safe volume off, etc.
• Better screenshots: instant key combination, preview dismisses when taking new screenshot
• Privacy: microG support, quick settings security, internet & sensor permissions, camera & microphone indicators, permission usage dashboard, minor hardening from GrapheneOS
• Usable default apps: clock, calculator, contacts, messaging, phone apps from LineageOS with custom UI tweaks
• Power user convenience: memory usage in Settings, advanced settings expanded by default, command-line tools for developers, SSH client and server
• Performance: Vulkan UI rendering, reduced APEX overhead, optimized memory pinning, responsive animations
• Pixel-exclusive features: Active Edge, Live Caption, Now Playing
• Convenience features: expanding volume panel from LineageOS, button to clear battery stats, call recording (check local laws before using)
• Under-the-hood tweaks: tweaked memory management to hold more background apps, better 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal retention, reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance, high-resolution screenshots in recents overview
• SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box without root
• Reduced system notification clutter and annoying prompts
• Custom Active Edge implementation with customization
• Option to disable camera laser focus in Settings
Downloads
Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience.

Make sure you download a flashable ZIP, not source code! Source code cannot be flashed.

Known issues
None

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
ROM source code

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
A hotfix update has just been released to fix issues with a botched SafetyNet fix that caused most apps using HTTP outside of a browser to break, including Google Translate, SMS/MMS, and many others. I've figured out a new way to fix SafetyNet that doesn't come with those pitfalls, so SafetyNet is still passing out-of-the-box and apps will no longer break. A bug with sensitivity in the Active Edge settings has also been fixed, and missing firmware has been re-added so there is no need to flash the latest stock ROM first.

Re-download v11.2.0 from GitHub for the fixes. I've decided to re-upload it rather than bumping the version because the previous SafetyNet fix was very broken and also caused boot failures if boot.img wasn't replaced.

kkjb

May 3, 2017
As a rule, if you want Any relevant support for problems after installing. Yes. Especially if you decide on no gapps build. Nothing wrong with trying. I used the gapps version and did a pixel device to device transfer and worked same as factory images.

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010
I just came from Lineage 17.1 and decided to mix things up with Proton. Only been 24 hours so far, but it is working well! Surprisingly easy setup, no force closes.
I wiped userdata and used the w/gapps version.
I definitely had to speed up animations in dev options. The only slow one that bothers me now is the glass blur behind notification panel takes an extra half second to unblur once the panel is closed.
Would love a few status bar tweak options like LOS.
Appreciate the Pixel 2 love.

ahm_usa

Oct 12, 2016
The only problem I saw here is that my pixel 2 is not able to upload high quality at free unlimited storage anymore while it does on LOS and Factory Imgs

ahm_usa

Oct 12, 2016
Same here. Rest is absolutely fine.
One more thing you'll find intriguing that you can't use Pixel Launcher in its original shape, and moving photos to trash sucks allowing for each photo. Rest is fine and up to the mark but we should be able to upload Full Resolution photos free as they are giving us time till Feb 2022.

BeNeDeLuX

Dec 27, 2010
Wow, super cool!

I have two question:

1.) I´m unable to create a backup from the new Rom in TWRP. I get an error "createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255". I did format everything and the installed the latest Rom Version (with GApps). So it was an absolute clean install. Is this TWRP Error Rom related ?

FIXED -> deleted /data/per_boot

2.) Can i install TWRP (3.3.0.0) again after i installed this Rom? Because TWRP was gone after flashing this Rom. Did used fastboot boot so far, but an installed version is more handy.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
G

GuestD4317

One more thing you'll find intriguing that you can't use Pixel Launcher in its original shape, and moving photos to trash sucks allowing for each photo. Rest is fine and up to the mark but we should be able to upload Full Resolution photos free as they are giving us time till Feb 2022.
Just saw your comment re Google photo uploads and had a quick look on my device as hadn't checked that out and full res resolution uploads look to be working for me as I don't use the camera much but have uploaded a couple of pics and the free upload toggle is lit blue as expected. I'm on latest 11.2 build with 07/11 opengapps nano test package if that points to anything?

Sent from my walleye using XDA Labs

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Wow, super cool!

I have two question:

1.) I´m unable to create a backup from the new Rom in TWRP. I get an error "createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255". I did format everything and the installed the latest Rom Version (with GApps). So it was an absolute clean install. Is this TWRP Error Rom related ?

FIXED -> deleted /data/per_boot

2.) Can i install TWRP (3.3.0.0) again after i installed this Rom? Because TWRP was gone after flashing this Rom. Did used fastboot boot so far, but an installed version is more handy.

Thanks for your help!
I have heard that installing TWRP causes bootloops on Android 11, so I wouldn't recommend it. I would never recommend installing TWRP on A/B devices either way because it's prone to breakage.

ahm_usa

Oct 12, 2016
Just saw your comment re Google photo uploads and had a quick look on my device as hadn't checked that out and full res resolution uploads look to be working for me as I don't use the camera much but have uploaded a couple of pics and the free upload toggle is lit blue as expected. I'm on latest 11.2 build with 07/11 opengapps nano test package if that points to anything?

Try deleting photos from photos app if that shows a pop up

G

GuestD4317

Try deleting photos from photos app if that shows a pop up
Just took a shot and uploaded and removed original. Used delete option to delete uploaded pic in Google account and pop up tells me this pic will be removed from my google account, synced devices etc

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with security updates, bug fixes, a privacy dashboard, and many more changes.

Changes:
• Updated to December feature drop and security patch
• Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
• Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
• Fixed some apps detecting root
• Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
• Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
• Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
• Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
• Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
• Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
• Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
• Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
• Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
• Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
• Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
• Added SSH client and server with hardened config
• Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
• Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
• Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
• Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
• Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
• Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
• Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
• Added support for Pixel 4a 5G
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

Reactions: ahm_usa

smorgar

Aug 8, 2013
To update from 11.2.0 to 11.3.0 do i need to install the gapps zip if i use gapps or can i just flash the smaller pack with no gapps if i already have them installed?

Does this mean we can run any eSIM from now on? On stock rom only project Fi sims were supported if i recall correctly.
I looked around but i cant find anything to read the QR code for eSIM...

Last edited:

kurokuroninja

Mar 1, 2013
karawang
To update from 11.2.0 to 11.3.0 do i need to install the gapps zip if i use gapps or can i just flash the smaller pack with no gapps if i already have them installed?

Does this mean we can run any eSIM from now on? On stock rom only project Fi sims were supported if i recall correctly.
For pixel 2 and 2 xl, it just support project Fi only for eSIM. The dev said, for pixel 5 and 4a 5G, proton have support eSIM.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev

You still need to flash gapps.

Pixel 2 eSIM support is the same as stock. I believe the "+" button next to mobile network settings allows adding an eSIM for any carrier, but I am unable to test it.

smorgar

Aug 8, 2013
You still need to flash gapps.

Pixel 2 eSIM support is the same as stock. I believe the "+" button next to mobile network settings allows adding an eSIM for any carrier, but I am unable to test it.
I tried the eSIM thing last night and it only wants to download something that it cant download. Contacted my carrier and the supplied me with a QR code to activate the eSIM but there is no option to scan QR. I think it only works with Googles Fi.