ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
@kdrag0n Thank you so much for this distro.

I came here to flash my old Pixel 2 w/ a current (custom) ROM, because I'm very much security-focused, especially as I want to give this phone to my young daughter.

Installation via the "Web Installer" was a breeze, apart from that I also landed in the endless loop (that has been mentioned here already) that caused the image to be flashed again and again, and after the 3rd round I stopped after the error that popped up after flashing the "vendor" partition, and simply "started" the ROM.

All good now, looks and feels really great, and now I will test it for a while before I can hand it over to my daughter.

One thing that bothers me, though: I'm using ProtonAOSP for the first time. Before I was a long-time CM and LOS user with various devices. So I don't know what to expect from this ROM. From looking at the releases you published lately it seems you have been doing a monthly release since a while. Is this something you are planning to continue?

I fully understand that you cannot and will not make any guarantees, but maybe you can tell me at least something about your plans -- whether they will hold true or not then is a different thing...

Thanks again for all your community efforts -- I'm deeply grateful for that.

Reactions: andPS2 and Ragod45

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
@kdrag0n Thank you so much for this distro.

I came here to flash my old Pixel 2 w/ a current (custom) ROM, because I'm very much security-focused, especially as I want to give this phone to my young daughter.

Installation via the "Web Installer" was a breeze, apart from that I also landed in the endless loop (that has been mentioned here already) that caused the image to be flashed again and again, and after the 3rd round I stopped after the error that popped up after flashing the "vendor" partition, and simply "started" the ROM.

All good now, looks and feels really great, and now I will test it for a while before I can hand it over to my daughter.

One thing that bothers me, though: I'm using ProtonAOSP for the first time. Before I was a long-time CM and LOS user with various devices. So I don't know what to expect from this ROM. From looking at the releases you published lately it seems you have been doing a monthly release since a while. Is this something you are planning to continue?

I fully understand that you cannot and will not make any guarantees, but maybe you can tell me at least something about your plans -- whether they will hold true or not then is a different thing...

Thanks again for all your community efforts -- I'm deeply grateful for that.
Yes, monthly releases are the norm.

I am aware of the "device is stuck" issues specific to the Pixel 2, but progress on fixing it is slow because I don't have one myself.

Ztaker

Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone,
i dont know if this fits here but i need some help, I bought a used Google Pixel2 from a marketplace website. Everything seemed fine, until I started receiving a notification saying "Device managed by admin - Automatically resetting soon." When I tap on it, it gives me an error saying "Device setup keeps stopping". I checked the phone's IMEI but it doesn't classify as lost/stolen. If I try to factory reset the phone, it asks me for a "@google.com" adress. My question is, should I be worried? Is there any way to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG-20210302-WA0066.jpg
    IMG-20210302-WA0066.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 42

Ragod45

May 9, 2020
I tried to flash the rom with the web installer getting the "stuck" error and booted anyway. But the rom looked unfinished with the keys missing and config app too. So i wiped everything with twrp 3.3.0 then flashed the rom via adb sideload and everything is working flawless and smooth. Till now the rom looks very stable (lastest version 11.3.2). Thanks for the hard work ! If things keep going well, i will for sure give suporte/donation!

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
I tried to flash the rom with the web installer getting the "stuck" error and booted anyway. But the rom looked unfinished with the keys missing and config app too. So i wiped everything with twrp 3.3.0 then flashed the rom via adb sideload and everything is working flawless and smooth. Till now the rom looks very stable (lastest version 11.3.2). Thanks for the hard work ! If things keep going well, i will for sure give suporte/donation!
The "device is stuck" error has now been fixed. Can you please elaborate on what you meant by the "keys" and "config app" being missing? The error should not have affected anything in the ROM itself.

Reactions: Ragod45

Ragod45

May 9, 2020
The "device is stuck" error has now been fixed. Can you please elaborate on what you meant by the "keys" and "config app" being missing? The error should not have affected anything in the ROM itself.
Sorry, my bad!
I meant that after "device is stuck" error, i just pressed "start" to boot, then on the home screen, there was no navigation keys and the icon/app of configuration was missing too ! As the top bar. Running on pixel 2 by the way. But after i formated data in twrp and flashed full rom with adb sideload, the rom is working great! Today i will update to the latest version ,11.3.3, with the web installer to see what happens!
But the rom is great , didnt find any issue/bug yet!
Totally recommend! The pixel 2 is faster and smoother conpared with stock rom!

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
@kdrag0n The web installer (Update feature) still looking at version 11.3.2 not the newer 11.3.3.
Wait for the official 11.3.3 release. It was intentionally marked as a pre-release version on GitHub and never announced anywhere.

The plan was for it to be released yesterday, but some last-minute issues had to be fixed. It should be ready within the next few hours.

Reactions: Hawkeye77

ap1618

I have an issue with the web flasher - it doesn't recognize my pixel 2.
I confirmed that flash.android.com has no issue. So webUSB in general works....something specific is off with the proton flasher tool.

Has anyone else encountered, and fixed this?

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
OnePlus 6
Wait for the official 11.3.3 release. It was intentionally marked as a pre-release version on GitHub and never announced anywhere.

The plan was for it to be released yesterday, but some last-minute issues had to be fixed. It should be ready within the next few hours.
just asking the build/make command when compiling?

NVM; found my answer

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
I have an issue with the web flasher - it doesn't recognize my pixel 2.
I confirmed that flash.android.com has no issue. So webUSB in general works....something specific is off with the proton flasher tool.

Has anyone else encountered, and fixed this?
To clarify, do you mean that your device doesn't show up in the "Connect device" dialog shown by the browser?

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
• Updated to March feature drop base
• Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
• Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
• Slightly faster cold app launches
• Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
• Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
• Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
• Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
• Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Improved web installer reliability
• Fixed all common web installer bugs
• Improved web installer download speeds
• Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
• Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
• Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
• Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
• Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install in browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

SeaMax

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks for the Rom - works flawless so far.
Upgraded straight from an old Android 11 build without data loss. Only let the automatic flashing via web run like 5 times before i aborted :D

Then a little more work than usual, because i had to use a payload dumper script to extract the boot image so that i could patch it with magisk.

Jamesonmtl

Mar 5, 2021
Thanks for the update.

"device is stuck" problem this morning while doing 11.3.3 update with walleye. Anyway just unpplugged at this point, and all appears to be ok :)

Last edited:

Duhman72

Mar 11, 2011
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 6
Thanks for the update.

I had the same issue w/ my Pixel 2 update using the web installer. As others, I just rebooted and it appeared to be ok. Although, when I fresh installed 11.3.2 using web install last month it completed without getting stuck.

I did find a couple of issues though, not sure if it is related to device getting stuck or if it is something that is broken in 11.3.3 that was not an issue in 11.3.2.

The picture in picture video on Hulu, YouTube, Netflix is not working now. I have checked the settings and all are enabled for PIP and worked on the previous version.

Also, the settings app opens and seems to work fine as long as I navigate to any of the settings, but if I try to use the search function, it closes with no popup, or sometimes I get the force close popup for com.android.settings.intelligence.

Can any other Pixel 2 owners confim this is also happening on their phone?

TIA!

Reactions: Jamesonmtl

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
The problem with dirty flashing on the Pixel 2 series has been finally been identified. It's already fixed for the next version, which may be released in a few days. It has nothing to do with the web installer or the "device is stuck" error.

An easy workaround for now is to run the following command and reboot: adb shell su -c rm -fr /data/system/package_cache

Duhman72

Mar 11, 2011
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 6
The problem with dirty flashing on the Pixel 2 series has been finally been identified. It's already fixed for the next version, which may be released in a few days. It has nothing to do with the web installer or the "device is stuck" error.

An easy workaround for now is to run the following command and reboot: adb shell su -c rm -fr /data/system/package_cache

You rock! I can confirm everything I listed above is now fixed after applying the workaround!

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    The web installer has been updated to fix false-positive "device is stuck" errors specific to the Pixel 2 (walleye).
    ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.2 has been released. Sorry for the delay this month; I've been busy with other projects, but here's the full release.

Changes:
    • July security patch
    • Added search to website
    Added red, green, and blue color balance settings
    Added alarm, ringtone, and notification sounds from Plasma Mobile
    • Added HarmonyOS Sans font style
    Extended font styles to affect third-party apps (reboot to apply changes)
    Improved Night Light quality using chromatic adaptation (reduced color distortion)
    • Improved Ambient EQ quality (with modern color science: CAT16)
    • More gradual transition when turning Night Light on/off
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added setting for increased touch sensitivity
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added "Saturated" color profile
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Fixed Night Sight crashes in Google Camera
    • Pixel 4/XL, 2/XL: Fixed Active Edge instability with multiple profiles
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for HDR10+ (Diab)
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for modem diagnostics

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5 & 4a 5G: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install in browser
    Download