ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11.3.0

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP • Pixel 2 XL
Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
v11.2.0: Imgur album
v11.3.0: Imgur album

Installation
This ROM is distributed as a full OTA package that can be flashed in TWRP. Don't forget to wipe data before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no requirement for which ROM or version you are coming from.

Features
• Better performance and battery life than stock
• Refined UI: typography, colors, tweaks, frosted glass blur, custom dark theme, builtin wallpapers, accent color options
• Modern default settings: navigation, sounds, safe volume off, etc.
• Better screenshots: instant key combination, preview dismisses when taking new screenshot
• Privacy: microG support, quick settings security, internet & sensor permissions, camera & microphone indicators, permission usage dashboard, minor hardening from GrapheneOS
• Usable default apps: clock, calculator, contacts, messaging, phone apps from LineageOS with custom UI tweaks
• Power user convenience: memory usage in Settings, advanced settings expanded by default, command-line tools for developers, SSH client and server
• Performance: Vulkan UI rendering, reduced APEX overhead, optimized memory pinning, responsive animations
• Pixel-exclusive features: Active Edge, Live Caption, Now Playing
• Convenience features: expanding volume panel from LineageOS, button to clear battery stats, call recording (check local laws before using)
• Under-the-hood tweaks: tweaked memory management to hold more background apps, better 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal retention, reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance, high-resolution screenshots in recents overview
• SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box without root
• Reduced system notification clutter and annoying prompts
• Custom Active Edge implementation with customization
• Option to disable camera laser focus in Settings
Downloads
Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience.

Make sure you download a flashable ZIP, not source code! Source code cannot be flashed.

Known issues
None

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
ROM source code

Last edited:

palimatix

Jan 18, 2011
Bangalore
Looks so tempting, downloading as I type.

Quick check - for the updates in future, would we still need to wipe data before booting if already in the previous ProtonAOSP version .
Thank you for bringing love to our pixel series ! :)

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Last edited:

Darian71

Aug 31, 2012
holcomb
Not booting for me. Stuck on splash screen. Clean flash of proton-aosp_taimen_11.2.0-gapps.zip on twrp-3.4.0-1-taimen then wipe data before reboot.
fastboot flash boot boot.img (stock October). That booted it for me until he can update a fix. This ROM btw is phenomenal on battery life

Nov 17, 2014
Not booting for me. Stuck on splash screen. Clean flash of proton-aosp_taimen_11.2.0-gapps.zip on twrp-3.4.0-1-taimen then wipe data before reboot.
Same, I've tried flashing/sideloading from Lineage 17 and stock P/Q/R. Stuck on splash for 10+ mins before I force reboot into bootloader to retry each time

pablo9023

Oct 26, 2017
ProtonAOSP • Pixel 2 XL
Hello. Proton is incredible. Very fast, smooth and tenacious. Tested it from the first version. Thank you very much. I want to clarify something else for myself: Do I need to flash in both slots if a stock is installed?

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Looks so tempting, downloading as I type.

Quick check - for the updates in future, would we still need to wipe data before booting if already in the previous ProtonAOSP version .
Thank you for bringing love to our pixel series ! :)

No, you only need to wipe data if switching from another ROM.

Love to know what you have changed to alter battery usage before i download it, every other 11 ROM drains like a bathtub, even at idle :)

I didn't do anything specific for battery; it's just that battery tends to be better on custom ROMs than it is on Pixel 2 stock, partially due to being less bloated.

It may be like the other new 11 based ROM that turned up on here yesterday, and have its device name set to Pixel 5/5a to pass SafetyNet out of the box

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83885115&postcount=12

Its not the way i would do it, but each to his own.

My ROM reports a fake security patch level to SafetyNet so basic attestation will always pass. However, I've observed that Google has started to roll out hardware attestation for the Pixel 2, so I also modified the model name with an invisible character to revert it back to basic. The Pixel 5 name is not used.

Same, I've tried flashing/sideloading from Lineage 17 and stock P/Q/R. Stuck on splash for 10+ mins before I force reboot into bootloader to retry each time

Sorry for the inconvenience, the problem lies in a botched SafetyNet fix that was missed in testing due to not flashing all partitions. You can make it boot temporarily by flashing the stock boot image. A hotfix that boots out-of-the-box will be up shortly.

Hello. Proton is incredible. Very fast, smooth and tenacious. Thank you very much. I want to clarify something else for myself: I tested it from the first version. Do I need to flash in both slots if a stock is installed?

No, ideally the latest stock ROM would be installed in both slots beforehand but that's only because this build is missing firmware. A hotfix will be up shortly with the latest firmware included.

Nov 17, 2014
Nice, got gpay working with magisk.
Unfortunately stuck on splash after installing edxposed. This is definitely an unreasonable request but if xposed edge features could be built natively into the rom I wouldn't need xposed

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Nice, got gpay working with magisk.
Unfortunately stuck on splash after installing edxposed. This is definitely an unreasonable request but if xposed edge features could be built natively into the rom I wouldn't need xposed

Xposed will never be supported, you are on your own if it's broken. I wouldn't recommend using it because it can cause all sorts of weird bugs.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
A hotfix update has just been released to fix issues with a botched SafetyNet fix that caused most apps using HTTP outside of a browser to break, including Google Translate, SMS/MMS, and many others. I've figured out a new way to fix SafetyNet that doesn't come with those pitfalls, so SafetyNet is still passing out-of-the-box and apps will no longer break. A bug with sensitivity in the Active Edge settings has also been fixed, and missing firmware has been re-added so there is no need to flash the latest stock ROM first.

Re-download v11.2.0 from GitHub for the fixes. I've decided to re-upload it rather than bumping the version because the previous SafetyNet fix was very broken and also caused boot failures if boot.img wasn't replaced.

Blackfyre

Dec 28, 2009
A hotfix update has just been released to fix issues with a botched SafetyNet fix that caused most apps using HTTP outside of a browser to break, including Google Translate, SMS/MMS, and many others. I've figured out a new way to fix SafetyNet that doesn't come with those pitfalls, so SafetyNet is still passing out-of-the-box and apps will no longer break. A bug with sensitivity in the Active Edge settings has also been fixed, and missing firmware has been re-added so there is no need to flash the latest stock ROM first.

Re-download v11.2.0 from GitHub for the fixes. I've decided to re-upload it rather than bumping the version because the previous SafetyNet fix was very broken and also caused boot failures if boot.img wasn't replaced.
Great work, and thank you for the fast updates. Really looking forward to using the ROM when I clean format next time. Waiting for Google to release the last Security patch in December before making the jump, don't want to clean install every month. I usually stick with a ROM for a few months at a time.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Just to clarify if anyone is confused: this is an Android 11 ROM, not Android 10. XDA DevDB has no option for 11 so I had to put 10. I've just edited the DevDB info out of the post now and added 11 to the header so there should be no more confusion.

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

Feb 16, 2015
NYC / NJ
www.wintelengineer.com
I am testing proton, so far its fast, snappy, and stable, one word of caution for anyone who uses my recommendations. Do not patch the boot.img as I always recommended, this landed me in a bootloop. Once I wiped the device clean, and started over (installed ROM+GAPP), then setup the device, then once setup, reboot to BL/TWRP (ADB TWRP), and installed MAGISK zip version from within TWRP, it booted fine. It only has an issue if you patch the boot.img from within MAGISK itself then ADB the boot.img. Normally this is the only method I use, but it will not work properly with this ROM (which is perfectly fine as the zip works great and passes safetynet out of the box)!

This ROM doesnt have all the goodies I am used to, BUT its a VERY decent, and stable 11 ROM so I DO recommend users to at least try it if you are looking for a decent 11 ROM. Battery life for me is on par with 10 so I do not see any major show stoppers using this as a DD. I will run it for a few days and report anything found (if anything is found), otherwise, its great.

Last edited:

MartinN6

Jul 6, 2015
Kassel
I am testing proton, so far its fast, snappy, and stable, one word of caution for anyone who uses my recommendations. Do not patch the boot.img as I always recommended, this landed me in a bootloop. Once I wiped the device clean, and started over (installed ROM+GAPP), then setup the device, then once setup, reboot to BL/TWRP (ADB TWRP), and installed MAGISK zip version from within TWRP, it booted fine. It only has an issue if you patch the boot.img from within MAGISK itself then ADB the boot.img. Normally this is the only method I use, but it will not work properly with this ROM (which is perfectly fine as the zip works great and passes safetynet out of the box)!

This ROM doesnt have all the goodies I am used to, BUT its a VERY decent, and stable 11 ROM so I DO recommend users to at least try it if you are looking for a decent 11 ROM. Battery life for me is on par with 10 so I do not see any major show stoppers using this as a DD. I will run it for a few days and report anything found (if anything is found), otherwise, its great.
thank you very much for your assessment! I also find this rom to be very stable, snappy and the slight changes to the stock rom are very well thought out - next to perfect! big thanks to the dev krag0n!

sam0yed

Nov 29, 2017
I'm coming from an Android 9 Custom ROM and I wanted to switch to this, the instructions states that it should just be a simple flash. Should I still start from a clean reinstall of stock Android 11 or does flashing this come with that already?

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
I didn't do anything specific for battery; it's just that battery tends to be better on custom ROMs than it is on Pixel 2 stock, partially due to being less bloated.
Stock has battery issues, all other 11 based ROMS ive tested have hadthe same battery issues. So i was asking in case you managed to find and fix the issue, because Google so far hasnt :)

I'll give it a crack anyways and see what its like, cheers

My ROM reports a fake security patch level to SafetyNet so basic attestation will always pass. However, I've observed that Google has started to roll out hardware attestation for the Pixel 2, so I also modified the model name with an invisible character to revert it back to basic. The Pixel 5 name is not used.
fwiw, there is no evidence that Google has or plans to force hardware attestation on Pixel 2/XL. i monitor reports of these things over in the magisk threads, and as part of my own magisk module, and theres no suggestion it will happen to Pixel 2/XL, more likely it will happen with 4+ than the old Pixel 2/XL....

Ill probably change the fingerprint back to Pixel 2/XL and Android 11, personally i dont see the point of spoofing another device when the Pixel 2/XL is still officially supported...just my opinion, no offence meant

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Stock has battery issues, all other 11 based ROMS ive tested have hadthe same battery issues. So i was asking in case you managed to find and fix the issue, because Google so far hasnt :)

I'll give it a crack anyways and see what its like, cheers

fwiw, there is no evidence that Google has or plans to force hardware attestation on Pixel 2/XL. i monitor reports of these things over in the magisk threads, and as part of my own magisk module, and theres no suggestion it will happen to Pixel 2/XL, more likely it will happen with 4+ than the old Pixel 2/XL....

Ill probably change the fingerprint back to Pixel 2/XL and Android 11, personally i dont see the point of spoofing another device when the Pixel 2/XL is still officially supported...just my opinion, no offence meant
My Pixel 2 XL has been getting hardware attestation in all of my tests recently if the model name is set to "Pixel 2 XL". It's possible that I'm being A/B tested and most users don't have this problem, but either way, I haven't been able to pass SafetyNet without changing the model name because of it.

Either way, I've added hacks into the system in my ROM to avoid spoofing the model name while still defying hardware attestation and passing SafetyNet despite being on a mismatching security patch level. I agree, I don't want to change the model name just to pass SafetyNet, so I've been coming up with other solutions to avoid doing that.