ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
The problem with dirty flashing on the Pixel 2 series has been finally been identified. It's already fixed for the next version, which may be released in a few days. It has nothing to do with the web installer or the "device is stuck" error.

An easy workaround for now is to run the following command and reboot: adb shell su -c rm -fr /data/system/package_cache

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
I know some people often ask on ROM threads here for the boot image from a ROM, as some like to have one either for magisk installs the boot.img patch way, or when that goes wrong and they need to boot again using a stock boot.img :)

On my travels today i found a paypload.bin dumper that doesnt require a python install and runs as a normal .exe on Windows x64 - It *may* trigger AV due to hang a compiled program signature, but is safe - any doubts, do it the longer harder way:

Thought it might come in handy for folks

Added it to my sig as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Sui77

Mr. Blanco

Dec 17, 2017
Vancouver
Hey guys .....having a little problem i keep getting a "Sim Manager Keeps Stopping" notification every couple of minutes non stop , i was wondering if anyone has had this ? I'm on the gapless build and i also dont have a sim card in it , just wondering if not having a sim card installed is the reason for this ? and also when i connect phone to a computer it only shows mtp device , and im unable to access any folders in the phone , just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this issue ?

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Hey guys .....having a little problem i keep getting a "Sim Manager Keeps Stopping" notification every couple of minutes non stop , i was wondering if anyone has had this ? I'm on the gapless build and i also dont have a sim card in it , just wondering if not having a sim card installed is the reason for this ? and also when i connect phone to a computer it only shows mtp device , and im unable to access any folders in the phone , just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this issue ?

On balance one might draw the conclusion that having no SIM in it and getting a SIm Manager error might be related :)

Assume youre using it for a purpose other than a phone...and plan to do so for a while...

You cant disable in natively. You can remove it via magisk and the debloater magisk module (reversible) on the magisk repo or here (if using form this link, ignore the installation via recovery info, just install via Magisk Manager) :https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/module-terminal-debloater-v17-3-2-debloat-systemlessly.3584163/

2 SIM Manager references under menu option 5 in Debloater

Not sure if there will be side effects as no one i know has ever tried stopping SIM Manager, but you do you :)

Debloater is what i use one every ROM to remove stuff i will never use ...

MTP: you need to unlock the device once for it to populate the folders on the PC

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
This is currently an issue on most Pixel ROMs that is caused by not having gapps installed. It will be fixed properly in a future build, but you can use the following command for now if you don't want to install Gcam-Services-Provider or microG:
Code:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.euicc

Reactions: 73sydney

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
No, it was removed in ProtonAOSP because it's inconsistent with other settings and adds clutter to the notification shade.
Just a random thought, but shouldn't it be possible to add a toggle to the quick settings in the notification shade that would either turn on MTP for file transfers or else take you directly to the settings to make the change?

EDIT: One other option I just noticed was to change the default behavior in Developer Settings to MTP. Eliminates the need for a toggle of any kind.

TiklMiPickles

Mar 22, 2016
Google's dialer app crashes when opening settings for me. Has anyone else had this issue? I really like having the call screening feature in their dialer.

Edit: It was just because the dialer app was being denied storage permissions. Going into the settings and enabling all the permissions fixed the issue

Last edited:

Janfri

Apr 11, 2016
Thank you very much for the update. I dirty flashed it through the web installer without any problem on my Pixel 2XL. Just had to reflash the magisk patched boot image. As expected the rom runs great.

SomeoneSomewhere0

Mar 17, 2021
Hi,

I got one question regarding the latest non-Gapps ProtonAOSP package: I tried installing it through TWRP and was able to boot it, but without having a settings app or even a navigation / status bar. I tried doing the install through webUSB which failed somehow as well: it booted with same results as in TWRP but webUSB showed the error of getting stuck.

However I was able to install the Gapps package through webUSB. I retried installing the non-Gapps package afterwards again, but with same results. Has anyone the same issue?

Personally i would not want to use google services so the non-Gapps package is very much preferred. If someone knows how to install the non-Gapps package, I would be very thankful for help!

Hi,

I got one question regarding the latest non-Gapps ProtonAOSP package: I tried installing it through TWRP and was able to boot it, but without having a settings app or even a navigation / status bar. I tried doing the install through webUSB which failed somehow as well: it booted with same results as in TWRP but webUSB showed the error of getting stuck.

However I was able to install the Gapps package through webUSB. I retried installing the non-Gapps package afterwards again, but with same results. Has anyone the same issue?

Personally i would not want to use google services so the non-Gapps package is very much preferred. If someone knows how to install the non-Gapps package, I would be very thankful for
Hi,

Personally i would not want to use google services so the non-Gapps package is very much preferred. If someone knows how to install the non-Gapps package, I would be very thankful for help!
Boot to bootloader, format data: fastboot format userdata, go to web installer and let install proton rom. You need be in bootloader when instaling via web instaler.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
ProtonAOSP • Pixel 2 XL
Android 11 ROM​

Not bad.
I've gone with the non-gapps version, with the minor addition of micro-g, since nextcloud talk stupidly won't push notifications without connecting through g-trash.

However, there is definitely an issue with power consumption -- higher than the factory builds. I'm getting about 48% deep sleep, which is consistent with factory builds, 20% 300 MHz, and a stupidly high 35% at 1.9 GHz, despite being screen-off for all time except a moment to check the distribution. Seems like the governor settings could be tweaked a bit so it doesn't jump up so quickly.

我是十七

Dec 17, 2020
I downloaded and installed the 11.3.3 version without gaps, Magisk Manager crashed when I clicked Magisk's restart menu. Does anyone else have the same problem? I tried to reinstall the system and re-root the result the same! ! !

我下载安装了11.3.3没有间隙的版本,Magisk管理器在点击Magisk的重启菜单时会闪退,有其他人有一样的问题吗?我尝试重装系统和从新root结果一样!!!

I downloaded and installed the 11.3.3 version without gaps, Magisk Manager crashed when I clicked Magisk's restart menu. Does anyone else have the same problem? I tried to reinstall the system and re-root the result the same! ! !

我下载安装了11.3.3没有间隙的版本,Magisk管理器在点击Magisk的重启菜单时会闪退,有其他人有一样的问题吗?我尝试重装系统和从新root结果一样!!!
go to bootloader and flash via web installer. First time boot system ,then reboot to bootloader, boot twrp and flash magisk.zip

我是十七

Dec 17, 2020
go to bootloader and flash via web installer. First time boot system ,then reboot to bootloader, boot twrp and flash magisk.zip
You may have misunderstood my question, what I said is that my 2xl has been refreshed and installed ProtonAOSP11.3.3 and Magisk has also been installed. The root is successful! But when you click the restart menu button on the Magisk management page, the Magisk manager will crash, except that the other functions of the Magisk manager are applied normally! . . .
您可能理解错了我的问题,我说的是我的2xl已经刷新安装了ProtonAOSP11.3.3并且也已经安装Magisk,root成功了!但是在Magisk管理页面上点击重启菜单按钮Magisk管理器就会闪退,除此之外Magisk管理器其他功能应用正常!。。。

gh0st

May 1, 2005
Thank you for keeping this phone alive with updates. I really like the web update which makes the monthly task easier.
I find the camera crashing while using it during video calls (faceboook messenger) for extended periods around 15 minutes or so. This happens on both the pixel 2 and pixel 2xl. This does not occur on the original ROM. At first I though it was an isolated case on my phone, but it also happened when I updated my wife's phone.

Top Liked Posts

I used the web installer and it worked perfectly. Curious how to pass safety net though? After the web installer finished the phone booted to the google startup. I reboot my phone to bootloader mode by holding the power+volume then used fastboot boot twrp. From here I adb sideloaded magisk and am able to launch it on the phone. When I check safetynet I get SafetyNet API Error, Basic integrity fails, cts profile fails and evaltype N/A.
    It's a SafetyNet Attestation API key problem in Magisk. It has been fixed on the Canary channel. John will push an update to the Beta/Stable channels after a few other bug fixes. Check with another SafetyNet check app and you may indeed be passing.
    ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    @kdrag0n

As promised the getprop results (magisk hidden), on dropbox, direct download:

Proton: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gonpknlaidqhm8/proton.txt?dl=1

Pixel Experience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfyxfgf6bsefk5h/pxpe.txt?dl=1

Both files sorted before upload for easy diffing
    It looks like you're using a different version of Magisk on the two ROMs, which might be related to the issue. If that's the case, please test it on ProtonAOSP again with the same version of Magisk.
    Hi Proton Team,

Can battery charge limit be added to feature list?
    This can prolong the battery life, since most of them will be using a 3 year old phone.
    That will not be added for older devices like the Pixel 2 series that don't already support it on stock, but you can still use third-party apps for it.
    @kdrag0n

Hit the only issue ive ever had on this ROM today, id come back form PixelExperience, where ive spent a bit of time lately and setup Samsung Pay linked to my Active 2 Watch.

Flashed Proton and could not get Samsung Pay to work, no matter what i tried, and i tried everything about 8 times over. No matter what i did Samsung Pay would tell me my system was modified, and the logs would say ROOTED /bin/su

For reference the method is (ROM independent):
    • adb reboot bootloder
    • fastboot erase userdata, fastboot erase system (both)
    • fastboot boot twrp
    • Flash ROM
    • adb reboot bootloader (or if G-Apps needed, reboot to bootloader, fastboot twrp again and flash G-Apps)
    • fastboot boot twrp
    • flash magisk (no difference if i flashed the zip or patched the image, tried both ways, being thorough)
    • reboot system
    • setup magisk - download magisk manager, reboot to complete (if using the zip method)
    • setup magisk - magiskhide
    • test magisk safetynet(passes out of the box)
    • rename magisk manager
    • sideload Galaxy Wear app, Watch plugins (including Samsung Pay one) (do not run any)
    • magisk hide all Samsung apps
    • reboot
    • test Samsung Pay setup
    Now its more of a report than a quest for troubleshooting, but i wonder why PixelExperience works out of the box, but Proton doesnt...no matter what you do, on Proton, Samsung Pay/Galaxy Wear detects root: /bin/su
    Hi guys, I've been trying to install the ROM using de web installer on my iMac, bit every time it is unpacking the system my computer freezes and ended rebooting, already tried 4 times, the same. Anyone has gotten this issue?
    That sounds like a problem with your computer; a website shouldn't be able to cause such behavior.
    @kdrag0n

Hit the only issue ive ever had on this ROM today, id come back form PixelExperience, where ive spent a bit of time lately and setup Samsung Pay linked to my Active 2 Watch.

Flashed Proton and could not get Samsung Pay to work, no matter what i tried, and i tried everything about 8 times over. No matter what i did Samsung Pay would tell me my system was modified, and the logs would say ROOTED /bin/su

For reference the method is (ROM independent):
    • adb reboot bootloder
    • fastboot erase userdata, fastboot erase system (both)
    • fastboot boot twrp
    • Flash ROM
    • adb reboot bootloader (or if G-Apps needed, reboot to bootloader, fastboot twrp again and flash G-Apps)
    • fastboot boot twrp
    • flash magisk (no difference if i flashed the zip or patched the image, tried both ways, being thorough)
    • reboot system
    • setup magisk - download magisk manager, reboot to complete (if using the zip method)
    • setup magisk - magiskhide
    • test magisk safetynet(passes out of the box)
    • rename magisk manager
    • sideload Galaxy Wear app, Watch plugins (including Samsung Pay one) (do not run any)
    • magisk hide all Samsung apps
    • reboot
    • test Samsung Pay setup
    Now its more of a report than a quest for troubleshooting, but i wonder why PixelExperience works out of the box, but Proton doesnt...no matter what you do, on Proton, Samsung Pay/Galaxy Wear detects root: /bin/su
    The last issue like that was with Outlook, but it was fixed several months ago and I haven't heard of any others since then. I can look into it if you enable MagiskHide for Termux and send the full output of "getprop" from within the app on both ROMs, but I won't install all those Samsung apps for testing on my own device.
    Just flashed proton after a long time with stock rom.
    My first impression with Proton: very fast, smoothly, responsive rom, but still lacks of UI customizing, most important function for me to use custom roms. hope you guy will make those functions available in next update ;)
    This is not a customization-focused ROM. I would suggest using a different ROM if you're interested in that as there are no plans to add such features in ProtonAOSP.
    @kdrag0n

As promised the getprop results (magisk hidden), on dropbox, direct download:

Proton: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gonpknlaidqhm8/proton.txt?dl=1

Pixel Experience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfyxfgf6bsefk5h/pxpe.txt?dl=1

Both files sorted before upload for easy diffing
    ProtonAOSP • Pixel 2 XL
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    v11.2.0: Imgur album
    v11.3.0: Imgur album

Installation
    This ROM is distributed as a full OTA package that can be flashed in TWRP. Don't forget to wipe data before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no requirement for which ROM or version you are coming from.

You can also use the easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

Features
    • Better performance and battery life than stock
    • Easy-to-use guided web installer
    • Refined UI: typography, colors, tweaks, frosted glass blur, custom dark theme, builtin wallpapers, accent color options, fewer distractions
    • Performance: Vulkan UI rendering, reduced APEX overhead, responsive animations, deep low-level optimizations
    • Empirical performance results: up to 18% faster app/menu/screen opening, 16% screenshot capturing, up to 4x faster low-level memory management, faster image loading and saving (JPEG, PNG)
    • Improved memory management: optimized pinning, ART heap compaction, more background apps
    • Under-the-hood tweaks: better 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal retention, high-resolution recents overview, fixes for AOSP bugs, latest Chromium WebView
    • Privacy: microG support, quick settings security, internet & sensor permissions, camera & microphone indicators, permission usage dashboard, minor hardening from GrapheneOS
    • Convenience features: button to clear battery stats, call recording (where legal), machine-learning back gesture
    • Power user convenience: memory usage in Settings, advanced settings expanded by default, command-line tools for developers (e.g. SSH)
    • Usable default apps: clock, calculator, contacts, messaging, phone apps from LineageOS with custom UI tweaks
    • Modern default settings: navigation, sounds, safe volume off, etc.
    • SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box without root

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience. Make sure you download a ROM ZIP, not source code; source code cannot be flashed.

Using the easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Known issues
    None

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.1 is now available with security updates, fixes, and minor tweaks.

Changes:
    • Merged January security patch
    • Fixed SafetyNet attestation failing since January 12
    • Fixed screen-off voice match in Google Assistant
    • Restored global search button in Settings
    • Added round search bar in app drawer
    • Added support for gesture typing in AOSP Keyboard
    • Pixel 2: Added support for Bluetooth hearing aids
    • Pixel 2: Removed duplicate wallpaper pickers
    • Pixel 5: Removed excess padding below keyboard

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
    • Updated to March feature drop base
    • Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
    • Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
    • Slightly faster cold app launches
    • Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
    • Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
    • Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
    • Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Improved web installer reliability
    • Fixed all common web installer bugs
    • Improved web installer download speeds
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
    • Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
    • Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install in browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5 & 4a 5G: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install in browser
    Download

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone