• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

palimatix

Jan 18, 2011
Bangalore
@kdrag0n

Massive effort, thanks so much for all your efforts, not just a new build (massive changelog, love the detail), but a new website...

Update: I used to be able to flash my own GApps on Proton, in fact it was about the last ROM that reliably allowed this, but this build doesnt....im actually using my smaller 700Mb NikGapps custom build (i used to use the fill 1.2Gb one with config file) with no issues on 11.3.3. Might haven mentioned im no fan of GApps included ROM's, they waste too much of my data allowance to update them as the included GApps are always old. Is there any reason why i can no longer flash my own GApps? Yes im aware im probably the only person who complains about this, but i think its still a valid question about whats changed thats now making it fail
I have the 11.5 minimal build since last morning and booted into system and then back to recovery and used the nikgapps stock with config(not a personal build) and it has gone fine. Booted and worked good. Am sure mine is bigger than your build as I removed only the playstore installables, except AOSP substitutes and Google photos .

Could it be possible that your automated customised build is messing with the space left. The ROM is so bare that it shouldn't give any space problems.

Reactions: 73sydney and irmas5

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
I have the 11.5 minimal build since last morning and booted into system and then back to recovery and used the nikgapps stock with config(not a personal build) and it has gone fine. Booted and worked good. Am sure mine is bigger than your build as I removed only the playstore installables, except AOSP substitutes and Google photos .

Could it be possible that your automated customised build is messing with the space left. The ROM is so bare that it shouldn't give any space problems.

It took me all night to get it setup to be useable with the factory gapps build (seemed the safest option at the time)...almost nothign in it and mostly useless AOSP apps, so had to use debloat magisk module to remove those before installing google apps from the play store one at a damn time like a caveman :)

Longest ROM setup ive had in years...

When i have time ill try the flash ROM, reboot to system then flash gapps method (which ive never had to before) later today...i only saw this mentioned a little earlier in my digging through the Nik G-Apps thread...

Your stock version is smaller, uses the same install script as my custom one, which is 108Mb larger. I do not use the config, its a straight zip install...thats the point of the custom build, no more config files, and you can make smaller packages that suit your needs

Its weird dude, ive flashed GApps since the beginning of time, the last few months its been a pain in the bottom, a lot of ROMs are just too bloated with unnecessary apps and themes/overlays, stealing room from people who want to look after their own G-Apps (as it was meant to be). but when Proton failed it was a bit of a shock, because it isnt a bloated mess :)

Its possible its a glitch in TWRP as well as we know you often have to change filesystems to EXT2 and back to EXT4 again to get the partitions to mount properly...its a hot mess

Im just too used to things working, as they used to :)

At least its not killing my apps and background processes like the latest Pixel Experience build, and my watch hasnt disconnected once, so thats a plus :)

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Hello @kdrag0n. Only think i need in this rom is the option to hide the gesture pill. Everything else works perfectly. Is that possible?
This used to be on the roadmap, but it won't be added because I've found too many usability and compatibility issues with it. I'll add it to the FAQ later.
It took me all night to get it setup to be useable with the factory gapps build (seemed the safest option at the time)...almost nothign in it and mostly useless AOSP apps, so had to use debloat magisk module to remove those before installing google apps from the play store one at a damn time like a caveman :)

Longest ROM setup ive had in years...

When i have time ill try the flash ROM, reboot to system then flash gapps method (which ive never had to before) later today...i only saw this mentioned a little earlier in my digging through the Nik G-Apps thread...

Your stock version is smaller, uses the same install script as my custom one, which is 108Mb larger. I do not use the config, its a straight zip install...thats the point of the custom build, no more config files, and you can make smaller packages that suit your needs

Its weird dude, ive flashed GApps since the beginning of time, the last few months its been a pain in the bottom, a lot of ROMs are just too bloated with unnecessary apps and themes/overlays, stealing room from people who want to look after their own G-Apps (as it was meant to be). but when Proton failed it was a bit of a shock, because it isnt a bloated mess :)

Its possible its a glitch in TWRP as well as we know you often have to change filesystems to EXT2 and back to EXT4 again to get the partitions to mount properly...its a hot mess

Im just too used to things working, as they used to :)

At least its not killing my apps and background processes like the latest Pixel Experience build, and my watch hasnt disconnected once, so thats a plus :)
It's probably because of a combination of the additional wallpapers and performance optimizations taking more space. Many users like the new wallpaper options, and I won't give up performance improvements just to allow flashing huge gapps packages. I'd recommend switching to a smaller gapps package if you insist on using custom gapps.

Reactions: elong7681

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
@palimatix @kdrag0n

Immense news (for me, anyways)....my new custom build of NikGapps (of exact same size as previous one) flashed fine
It is using a different and updated install script. Nevertheless i did the following for best possible chance:

Reboot to bootloader
Fastboot TWRP
Wipe
Flash ROM
Factory reset
Reboot to system
Enable Dev Options
Enable USB Debugging
Reboot to bootloader
Fastboot TWRP
Flash NikGapps (success)
Flash Magisk
Factory reset
Reboot to system
Setup ROM

So not 100% sure if its the updated NikGapps script or the reboot to system before flashing NikGapps that did it, but i'll retest in a few days to find out for sure, was in a hurry tonight, so just happy to get working

Last edited:
Reactions: nlua

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
I know you will but still would like to request an update. I tend to follow what rom you use. Will be coming from PE+ and want to try doing the whole nikgapps and scripting thingy you're doing... 👍🏼

Youre probably in for the long way around the way i do things :) And bigger risks

The safest & quickest methods at the moment (in order):

1) Online setup via the clever webpage method set up by @kdrag0n
2) Manually with included GApps
3) Manually with your own GApps

Update in next post, as i had some spare time and just flashed without rebooting to system after ROM flash

Also note: i no longer use NikGapps config file, i have my own custom build of it made that contains only what i personally use, and comes in at around 759Mb

As @kdrag0n has already suggested, to avoid the space issue, use a smaller one and as @palimatix has already posted, apparently stock NikGapps flashes fine. Im just a stubborn old timer :)

Last edited:

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Update:

I found some spare time and decided to do things the more traditional way

Reboot to bootloader
Fastboot TWRP
Wipe
Flash ROM
Factory reset
Reboot to bootloader
Fastboot TWRP
Flash NikGapps (fail -space issue - again)

Seems a bit nuts

So the reboot to system method WILL work...the traditional method will not

Why do things have to be so long winded and hard?

Reactions: all43

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
@kdrag0n

Nice surprise to find VoLTE working for me in Australia on Telstra out of the box...only ROM other than stock it works on OOB :)

Also nice to not have my Galaxy Active 2 disconnected all the time like in most other ROMs...its nice to have Proton stability back

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Hello, i just wanted to ask about proton kernel.. it is referenced in the OP as recomended but the link is pointing to a Pixel 5 Kernel thread. Is there a Proton Kernel for the P2XL?
I updated all the ProtonAOSP threads with a new template and forgot to remove the Pixel 5 kernel reference. There is no Proton Kernel for the Pixel 2 series; sorry for the confusion.

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Anyone else having issues with root being detected?

Finally made it out to the store after flashing latest of Proton and went to pay with my Active 2 and Samsung Pay, and it did the dreaded "device modified" thing and denied access to Samsung Pay - log showed it detected /bin/su

fwiw, I always have MagiskHide and the app hidden/renamed

Same exact backup and setup restored to Pixel Experience (older, non borked PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20210424-1334-OFFICIAL) works....

I reflashed Proton 5 times and it failed every time...

If anyone else wants to test and has time, you can use this (just remember to deny the Superuser prompt when you try it :) )

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Anyone else having issues with root being detected?

Finally made it out to the store after flashing latest of Proton and went to pay with my Active 2 and Samsung Pay, and it did the dreaded "device modified" thing and denied access to Samsung Pay - log showed it detected /bin/su

fwiw, I always have MagiskHide and the app hidden/renamed

Same exact backup and setup restored to Pixel Experience (older, non borked PixelExperience_Plus_taimen-11.0-20210424-1334-OFFICIAL) works....

I reflashed Proton 5 times and it failed every time...

If anyone else wants to test and has time, you can use this (just remember to deny the Superuser prompt when you try it :) )

There is no /bin/su in ProtonAOSP, so I don't know what's flagging it. Unfortunately, this is very unlikely to be fixed because I'm not interested in spending so much time hacking up the system in order to appease user-hostile apps like that.

Reactions: irmas5

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
There is no /bin/su in ProtonAOSP, so I don't know what's flagging it. Unfortunately, this is very unlikely to be fixed because I'm not interested in spending so much time hacking up the system in order to appease user-hostile apps like that.

It was also triggered by other things i wont bore you with.

I totally get your point, but it wasnt an issue in any previous build, and i will continue to test future builds anyways and see how they go. But yes, its fair that my setup with a few apps, particular Samsung ones, shouldnt negatively reflect on the ROM

I am moving towards using stock (at least) GApps, so i hope i get some points for that :)

fwiw I do test all ROMs using the exact same setup and restored apps, with no variance, cant be fairer than that

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Not for dev cause he already said he won't work on this, but for everyone else did someone find a method to abilitate Google Pay?

Assuming youre using magisk...theres an entire thread for it: Magisk Google Pay thread, but generally...

Google Pay should work with the following:
  • MagiskHide enabled in Magisk Manager
  • Do SafetyNet check in Magisk Manager
If you dont pass SafetyNet, i would be surprised...

If you pass SafetyNet, then next check Play Store is Certified (Google Play Store -> Settings -> About)

If device is uncertified:
  • Toggle Airplane Mode to On
  • Clear Data for Google Play Store and Google Play Services
  • Reboot
  • Toggle Airplane Mode to Off
  • Wait 5 minutes
  • Check Play Store is certified
  • If Certified, open Google Pay, and add card
I do have a magisk module for it (in my signature) but even i havent had to use that in months since Google relented and made a change on their back end so it wasnt needed.

Goes without saying hopefully that any further discussion should go to the Magisk thread posted above

Callozz

Mar 1, 2020
Google Pixel 2 XL
Assuming youre using magisk...theres an entire thread for it: Magisk Google Pay thread, but generally...

If you pass SafetyNet, then next check Play Store is Certified (Google Play Store -> Settings -> About)

• Reboot
  • Wait 5 minutes
I do have a magisk module for it (in my signature) but even i havent had to use that in months since Google relented and made a change on their back end so it wasnt needed.

Goes without saying hopefully that any further discussion should go to the Magisk thread posted above
Thanks for the reply, I know the thread is not for this but since it stopped working after an update of the ROM I thought it was somehow linked, gonna give a try to your module in the afternoon

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for the reply, I know the thread is not for this but since it stopped working after an update of the ROM I thought it was somehow linked, gonna give a try to your module in the afternoon

It may be linked to ROM, i didnt get that far in testing the latest build, i have Google fixing my Google Pay account as we speak :) They borked it and it isnt working on any ROM currently :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is too stable.
    Yeah... it's a bit suspicious, isn't it.
    Ok, magnaged to make the move from Bliss (10) to Proton (11), so far so good.

However, I have a few things missing:

a) customizing (colors, ...)
    b) edge sense can't be modified (long/short)
    c) no "terminate active app" by gesture (long swipe)
    d) no advanced power menu

Are there any tricks or workarounds for those points?

Any need to change kernel?

I'm not passing savbety net, yet, may Google Play Store is not vertified.

Tried this

• Reboot
    • Wait 5 minutes
    Ok, magnaged to make the move from Bliss (10) to Proton (11), so far so good.

However, I have a few things missing:

a) customizing (colors, ...)
    b) edge sense can't be modified (long/short)
    c) no "terminate active app" by gesture (long swipe)
    d) no advanced power menu

Are there any tricks or workarounds for those points?

Any need to change kernel?

I'm not passing savbety net, yet, may Google Play Store is not vertified.

Tried this

• Reboot
    • Wait 5 minutes

You may need the latest Universal SafetyNet Fix from here:

To use this new version, you will need Riru, from here (installed first, then reboot, the try USNF above):

Do a clear of google play store/services and google pay afterwards, and if still no luck with google pay, remove card and readd...

* Be aware that you should not use the very latest Magisk Alpha (706a4922) with Riru as it has known issues at the moment.
    You may need the latest Universal SafetyNet Fix from here:

To use this new version, you will need Riru, from here (installed first, then reboot, the try USNF above):

Do a clear of google play store/services and google pay afterwards, and if still no luck with google pay, remove card and readd...

* Be aware that you should not use the very latest Magisk Alpha (706a4922) with Riru as it has known issues at the moment.
    Did the trick :)
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.1 is now available with security updates, fixes, and minor tweaks.

Changes:
    • Merged January security patch
    • Fixed SafetyNet attestation failing since January 12
    • Fixed screen-off voice match in Google Assistant
    • Restored global search button in Settings
    • Added round search bar in app drawer
    • Added support for gesture typing in AOSP Keyboard
    • Pixel 2: Added support for Bluetooth hearing aids
    • Pixel 2: Removed duplicate wallpaper pickers
    • Pixel 5: Removed excess padding below keyboard

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
    • Updated to March feature drop base
    • Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
    • Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
    • Slightly faster cold app launches
    • Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
    • Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
    • Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
    • Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Improved web installer reliability
    • Fixed all common web installer bugs
    • Improved web installer download speeds
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
    • Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
    • Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install in browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download