• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

ironLink21

Mar 19, 2012
Idaho Falls
Google Pixel 2 XL
When I was back on the stock ROM I used the Google Dialer and really liked the google assistant caller ID / answer feature of the app. It looks like those features are only available if the app is a system app?

I've tried to convert the Google Dialer app (from google play) to a system app by extracting the apk via these steps (https://beebom.com/how-extract-apk-android-app/) and then moving that base.apk to the /system/priv-app/ dir and rebooting. When I reboot the app isn't a system app.

I've then tried to install the .apk from the /system/priv-app dir with Root Explorer but it gives me an error that the apk cannot be parsed?

has anyone else been able to successfully convert the google dialer app to a system app?

Thanks in advance!

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
When I was back on the stock ROM I used the Google Dialer and really liked the google assistant caller ID / answer feature of the app. It looks like those features are only available if the app is a system app?

I've tried to convert the Google Dialer app (from google play) to a system app by extracting the apk via these steps (https://beebom.com/how-extract-apk-android-app/) and then moving that base.apk to the /system/priv-app/ dir and rebooting. When I reboot the app isn't a system app.

I've then tried to install the .apk from the /system/priv-app dir with Root Explorer but it gives me an error that the apk cannot be parsed?

has anyone else been able to successfully convert the google dialer app to a system app?

Thanks in advance!

Ive never bothered to try because that function wasnt available even on stock ROM here in Australia when i last ran stock, if now even...

You might, if youre using Magisk, try Terminal App Systemizer Module (much easier than pokery in a file manager and crossing fingers):

ironLink21

Mar 19, 2012
Idaho Falls
Google Pixel 2 XL
Ive never bothered to try because that function wasnt available even on stock ROM here in Australia when i last ran stock, if now even...

You might, if youre using Magisk, try Terminal App Systemizer Module (much easier than pokery in a file manager and crossing fingers):

Ahhh good idea! I'll have to try that thank you

Reactions: 73sydney

sidd23

Jan 9, 2012
New Delhi
Hey
Installed protonaosp today on my device for the first time.. Successfully rooted the device through patching the boot.img but I am losing root access every time I restart.
Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Magisk was working completely fine for me on evo x rom

Nvm: had to install magisk again through the app itself after flashing the boot img for once.
thanks

Last edited:

ironLink21

Mar 19, 2012
Idaho Falls
Google Pixel 2 XL
So I tried that (app systemized) magisk module. It was outdated in the magisk manager so I downloaded the source code and updated the android version it now installs correctly and I've systemized several apps including the Google dialer. I'm able to see the call screen option in there but it just shows "activating call screen (requires wifi)". It seems to be stuck on that? I've also tried to update the flags in the Google dialer XML file but that doesn't kick it over either...
I'm guessing the activating dialer is downloading something from Google that's not getting downloaded for some reason? Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?

ProtonAOSP: 11.5
phone: version 66.0.374464860-publicbeta
Google play: 25.6.14-21 [0] [PR] 376382668

Thank you!

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
So I tried that (app systemized) magisk module. It was outdated in the magisk manager so I downloaded the source code and updated the android version it now installs correctly and I've systemized several apps including the Google dialer. I'm able to see the call screen option in there but it just shows "activating call screen (requires wifi)". It seems to be stuck on that? I've also tried to update the flags in the Google dialer XML file but that doesn't kick it over either...
I'm guessing the activating dialer is downloading something from Google that's not getting downloaded for some reason? Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?

ProtonAOSP: 11.5
phone: version 66.0.374464860-publicbeta
Google play: 25.6.14-21 [0] [PR] 376382668

Thank you!

Youre unlikely to get those kind of answers in this thread. I would try searching call screen in the search box, im sure theres probably plenty of leads. As i said previously, i'll be of no use, it literally doesnt work in my country

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
• June security patch and feature drop base
Added status bar icon and clock customization
Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
Added performance and other technical details to website
• Improved dark UI color scheme
• Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
• Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
• Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
• Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Updated permissions for Google apps
• Updated website link in Settings
• Updated system fonts

Website
Install from browser (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

SaberJ2X

Dec 3, 2012
Donated, since flashing custom roms in the dark ages in the gingerbread androids, this is the single most polished ROM i have ever used.

我是十七

Dec 17, 2020
Qq8.5, the above problems are still unsolved
Screenshot_20210713-110002_Quickstep.png

我是十七

Dec 17, 2020
China Tencent product, a must-have software for Chinese users. This system can only use version 8.5 now. If it exceeds 8.5, it will flash back. The same problem appeared on ArrowOS, but they fixed

mrroks

Nov 23, 2012
Karachi
@kdrag0n Thanks for your work appreciated.

i noticed breaking whatsapp voice call. anyone else faced this isssue? on latest build. Also i want to know when someone call me my phone view is 100% transparent it shows the background how to disable that ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is too stable.
    Yeah... it's a bit suspicious, isn't it.
    Ok, magnaged to make the move from Bliss (10) to Proton (11), so far so good.

However, I have a few things missing:

a) customizing (colors, ...)
    b) edge sense can't be modified (long/short)
    c) no "terminate active app" by gesture (long swipe)
    d) no advanced power menu

Are there any tricks or workarounds for those points?

Any need to change kernel?

I'm not passing savbety net, yet, may Google Play Store is not vertified.

Tried this

Google Pay should work with the following:
    • MagiskHide enabled in Magisk Manager
    • Do SafetyNet check in Magisk Manager
    If you dont pass SafetyNet, i would be surprised...

If you pass SafetyNet, then next check Play Store is Certified (Google Play Store -> Settings -> About)

If device is uncertified:

• Toggle Airplane Mode to On
    • Clear Data for Google Play Store and Google Play Services
    • Reboot
    • Toggle Airplane Mode to Off
    • Wait 5 minutes
    • Check Play Store is certified
    • If Certified, open Google Pay, and add card
    Ok, magnaged to make the move from Bliss (10) to Proton (11), so far so good.

However, I have a few things missing:

a) customizing (colors, ...)
    b) edge sense can't be modified (long/short)
    c) no "terminate active app" by gesture (long swipe)
    d) no advanced power menu

Are there any tricks or workarounds for those points?

Any need to change kernel?

I'm not passing savbety net, yet, may Google Play Store is not vertified.

Tried this

Google Pay should work with the following:
    • MagiskHide enabled in Magisk Manager
    • Do SafetyNet check in Magisk Manager
    If you dont pass SafetyNet, i would be surprised...

If you pass SafetyNet, then next check Play Store is Certified (Google Play Store -> Settings -> About)

If device is uncertified:

• Toggle Airplane Mode to On
    • Clear Data for Google Play Store and Google Play Services
    • Reboot
    • Toggle Airplane Mode to Off
    • Wait 5 minutes
    • Check Play Store is certified
    • If Certified, open Google Pay, and add card

You may need the latest Universal SafetyNet Fix from here:

To use this new version, you will need Riru, from here (installed first, then reboot, the try USNF above):

Do a clear of google play store/services and google pay afterwards, and if still no luck with google pay, remove card and readd...

* Be aware that you should not use the very latest Magisk Alpha (706a4922) with Riru as it has known issues at the moment.
    You may need the latest Universal SafetyNet Fix from here:

To use this new version, you will need Riru, from here (installed first, then reboot, the try USNF above):

Do a clear of google play store/services and google pay afterwards, and if still no luck with google pay, remove card and readd...

* Be aware that you should not use the very latest Magisk Alpha (706a4922) with Riru as it has known issues at the moment.
    Did the trick :)
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.1 is now available with security updates, fixes, and minor tweaks.

Changes:
    • Merged January security patch
    • Fixed SafetyNet attestation failing since January 12
    • Fixed screen-off voice match in Google Assistant
    • Restored global search button in Settings
    • Added round search bar in app drawer
    • Added support for gesture typing in AOSP Keyboard
    • Pixel 2: Added support for Bluetooth hearing aids
    • Pixel 2: Removed duplicate wallpaper pickers
    • Pixel 5: Removed excess padding below keyboard

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
    • Updated to March feature drop base
    • Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
    • Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
    • Slightly faster cold app launches
    • Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
    • Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
    • Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
    • Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
    • Improved web installer reliability
    • Fixed all common web installer bugs
    • Improved web installer download speeds
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
    • Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
    • Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install in browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download