ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Just a random thought, but shouldn't it be possible to add a toggle to the quick settings in the notification shade that would either turn on MTP for file transfers or else take you directly to the settings to make the change?

EDIT: One other option I just noticed was to change the default behavior in Developer Settings to MTP. Eliminates the need for a toggle of any kind.
While MTP may be a common option, it's not the only one so a quick settings tile is unlikely to be a good fit here.
Thank you for keeping this phone alive with updates. I really like the web update which makes the monthly task easier.
I find the camera crashing while using it during video calls (faceboook messenger) for extended periods around 15 minutes or so. This happens on both the pixel 2 and pixel 2xl. This does not occur on the original ROM. At first I though it was an isolated case on my phone, but it also happened when I updated my wife's phone.
Please collect and send logs with the SysLog app when that happens. I don't usually video call on my phone, but I tried to reproduce it once with a 10-minute Signal call and never encountered the issue.
Not bad.
I've gone with the non-gapps version, with the minor addition of micro-g, since nextcloud talk stupidly won't push notifications without connecting through g-trash.

However, there is definitely an issue with power consumption -- higher than the factory builds. I'm getting about 48% deep sleep, which is consistent with factory builds, 20% 300 MHz, and a stupidly high 35% at 1.9 GHz, despite being screen-off for all time except a moment to check the distribution. Seems like the governor settings could be tweaked a bit so it doesn't jump up so quickly.
The ROM's kernel is 100% identical to stock and uses the prebuilt binaries provided by Google as part of AOSP. Nothing related to the governor has been changed. It's also worth noting that high frequencies do not necessarily constitute more battery drain; in fact, they can be more efficient when used and tuned correctly.

yhwh111

Oct 11, 2014
Hi guys, I've been trying to install the ROM using de web installer on my iMac, bit every time it is unpacking the system my computer freezes and ended rebooting, already tried 4 times, the same. Anyone has gotten this issue?

73sydney

Account currently disabled
@kdrag0n

Hit the only issue ive ever had on this ROM today, id come back form PixelExperience, where ive spent a bit of time lately and setup Samsung Pay linked to my Active 2 Watch.

Flashed Proton and could not get Samsung Pay to work, no matter what i tried, and i tried everything about 8 times over. No matter what i did Samsung Pay would tell me my system was modified, and the logs would say ROOTED /bin/su

For reference the method is (ROM independent):
  • adb reboot bootloder
  • fastboot erase userdata, fastboot erase system (both)
  • fastboot boot twrp
  • Flash ROM
  • adb reboot bootloader (or if G-Apps needed, reboot to bootloader, fastboot twrp again and flash G-Apps)
  • fastboot boot twrp
  • flash magisk (no difference if i flashed the zip or patched the image, tried both ways, being thorough)
  • reboot system
  • setup magisk - download magisk manager, reboot to complete (if using the zip method)
  • setup magisk - magiskhide
  • test magisk safetynet(passes out of the box)
  • rename magisk manager
  • sideload Galaxy Wear app, Watch plugins (including Samsung Pay one) (do not run any)
  • magisk hide all Samsung apps
  • reboot
  • test Samsung Pay setup
Now its more of a report than a quest for troubleshooting, but i wonder why PixelExperience works out of the box, but Proton doesnt...no matter what you do, on Proton, Samsung Pay/Galaxy Wear detects root: /bin/su

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: irmas5 and mrroks

brianpro700

Oct 27, 2014
Just flashed proton after a long time with stock rom.
My first impression with Proton: very fast, smoothly, responsive rom, but still lacks of UI customizing, most important function for me to use custom roms. hope you guy will make those functions available in next update ;)

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Hi guys, I've been trying to install the ROM using de web installer on my iMac, bit every time it is unpacking the system my computer freezes and ended rebooting, already tried 4 times, the same. Anyone has gotten this issue?
That sounds like a problem with your computer; a website shouldn't be able to cause such behavior.
@kdrag0n

Hit the only issue ive ever had on this ROM today, id come back form PixelExperience, where ive spent a bit of time lately and setup Samsung Pay linked to my Active 2 Watch.

Flashed Proton and could not get Samsung Pay to work, no matter what i tried, and i tried everything about 8 times over. No matter what i did Samsung Pay would tell me my system was modified, and the logs would say ROOTED /bin/su

For reference the method is (ROM independent):
  • adb reboot bootloder
  • fastboot erase userdata, fastboot erase system (both)
  • fastboot boot twrp
  • Flash ROM
  • adb reboot bootloader (or if G-Apps needed, reboot to bootloader, fastboot twrp again and flash G-Apps)
  • fastboot boot twrp
  • flash magisk (no difference if i flashed the zip or patched the image, tried both ways, being thorough)
  • reboot system
  • setup magisk - download magisk manager, reboot to complete (if using the zip method)
  • setup magisk - magiskhide
  • test magisk safetynet(passes out of the box)
  • rename magisk manager
  • sideload Galaxy Wear app, Watch plugins (including Samsung Pay one) (do not run any)
  • magisk hide all Samsung apps
  • reboot
  • test Samsung Pay setup
Now its more of a report than a quest for troubleshooting, but i wonder why PixelExperience works out of the box, but Proton doesnt...no matter what you do, on Proton, Samsung Pay/Galaxy Wear detects root: /bin/su
The last issue like that was with Outlook, but it was fixed several months ago and I haven't heard of any others since then. I can look into it if you enable MagiskHide for Termux and send the full output of "getprop" from within the app on both ROMs, but I won't install all those Samsung apps for testing on my own device.
Just flashed proton after a long time with stock rom.
My first impression with Proton: very fast, smoothly, responsive rom, but still lacks of UI customizing, most important function for me to use custom roms. hope you guy will make those functions available in next update ;)
This is not a customization-focused ROM. I would suggest using a different ROM if you're interested in that as there are no plans to add such features in ProtonAOSP.

Reactions: SaberJ2X

73sydney

The last issue like that was with Outlook, but it was fixed several months ago and I haven't heard of any others since then. I can look into it if you enable MagiskHide for Termux and send the full output of "getprop" from within the app on both ROMs, but I won't install all those Samsung apps for testing on my own device.
Sure, ill try and get you the info this weekend. I can totes understand you not wanting to test on your own device.
I didnt even expect a reply, but im glad you have told me whats the best procedure for yuo to have a quick look into it.

Cheers

Last edited:

73sydney

Hi Proton Team,

Can battery charge limit be added to feature list?
This can prolong the battery life, since most of them will be using a 3 year old phone.

Im just guessing thats going to be a no, but i will give you some leads in the meantime:

This can be achieved by several apps and at least one magisk module available (Acc) in the magisk repo or here:

Note theres also a companion app for Acc named AccA - also linked in the thread above

Added bonus, you can also set it to slow charge if youre really into preserving battery...i always have mine limited to 500mA

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
@kdrag0n

As promised the getprop results (magisk hidden), on dropbox, direct download:

Proton: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gonpknlaidqhm8/proton.txt?dl=1

Pixel Experience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfyxfgf6bsefk5h/pxpe.txt?dl=1

Both files sorted before upload for easy diffing
It looks like you're using a different version of Magisk on the two ROMs, which might be related to the issue. If that's the case, please test it on ProtonAOSP again with the same version of Magisk.
Hi Proton Team,

Can battery charge limit be added to feature list?
This can prolong the battery life, since most of them will be using a 3 year old phone.
That will not be added for older devices like the Pixel 2 series that don't already support it on stock, but you can still use third-party apps for it.

mrroks

Nov 23, 2012
Karachi
superuserhelp.com
@73sydney any way to flash roms without erasing userdata? my data is alot and i love changing and trying out roms?

problem with twrp boot method is when my data and system is wiped through twrp it messes up and then after that boot twrp just get stucks at twrp splash screen.

Pls clear ths confusion and provide the steps. Appreciated.

73sydney

@73sydney any way to flash roms without erasing userdata? my data is alot and i love changing and trying out roms?

problem with twrp boot method is when my data and system is wiped through twrp it messes up and then after that boot twrp just get stucks at twrp splash screen.

Pls clear ths confusion and provide the steps. Appreciated.

Not sure why youre asking me, where did i create confusion?

Every ROM 's OP will tell you to wipe userdata (see command below), because its the preferred way when swithcing between ROM's and avoids issues.

If youre getting stuck at the boot screen of TWRP after erasing data via TWRP wipe then generally the answer is to:

fastboot erase userdata

That command is the one that solves most issues when flashing or TWRP borks something

Note: Im not a TWRP dev :)

If youre however asking how you can keep the contents of /sdcard between ROM's then you can try wiping system & data and then just delete the /sdcard/Android folder via TWRP's file manager, and then flash the ROM...and G-Apps and Magisk, if necessary/wanted

If that fails, its:

fastboot erase userdata

Always keep a backup of anything you love on your sdcard, its the number 1 rule of not ending up in tears

Reactions: mrroks

73sydney

It looks like you're using a different version of Magisk on the two ROMs, which might be related to the issue. If that's the case, please test it on ProtonAOSP again with the same version of Magisk.

I just clean flashed and used the exact same magisk etc, sadly needed to do annoying full reset of the watch to get Samsung Pay to finally work on Proton

Dont ask me why, but i can restore the same exact apps and data on other ROMs and dont need to reset my watch....i cant figure it out, headscratcher

Imma stay here and stop ROM testing for a while....blame my wearables...everytime i switch ROM's i have to recalibrate the blood pressure feature on my Galaxy Active 2...and im just getting too lazy to do it all the time...

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
• April security patch
• Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
• Improved overall system performance
• Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
• 16% faster screenshot capturing
• Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
• Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
• Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
• Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
• Updated UI fonts
• Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
• Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
• Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

Last edited:

dimpoblimpo

Feb 9, 2013
I used the web installer and it worked perfectly. Curious how to pass safety net though? After the web installer finished the phone booted to the google startup. I reboot my phone to bootloader mode by holding the power+volume then used fastboot boot twrp. From here I adb sideloaded magisk and am able to launch it on the phone. When I check safetynet I get SafetyNet API Error, Basic integrity fails, cts profile fails and evaltype N/A.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I used the web installer and it worked perfectly. Curious how to pass safety net though? After the web installer finished the phone booted to the google startup. I reboot my phone to bootloader mode by holding the power+volume then used fastboot boot twrp. From here I adb sideloaded magisk and am able to launch it on the phone. When I check safetynet I get SafetyNet API Error, Basic integrity fails, cts profile fails and evaltype N/A.
It's a SafetyNet Attestation API key problem in Magisk. It has been fixed on the Canary channel. John will push an update to the Beta/Stable channels after a few other bug fixes. Check with another SafetyNet check app and you may indeed be passing.

dimpoblimpo

Feb 9, 2013
Cannot figure out how to remove recent/most used apps from top of app drawer. I used the gappless version of the rom and flashed core nikgapps if that makes a difference. running stock quickstep launcher

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.1 is now available with security updates, fixes, and minor tweaks.

Changes:
    • Merged January security patch
    • Fixed SafetyNet attestation failing since January 12
    • Fixed screen-off voice match in Google Assistant
    • Restored global search button in Settings
    • Added round search bar in app drawer
    • Added support for gesture typing in AOSP Keyboard
    • Pixel 2: Added support for Bluetooth hearing aids
    • Pixel 2: Removed duplicate wallpaper pickers
    • Pixel 5: Removed excess padding below keyboard

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
    • Updated to March feature drop base
    • Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
    • Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
    • Slightly faster cold app launches
    • Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
    • Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
    • Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
    • Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Improved web installer reliability
    • Fixed all common web installer bugs
    • Improved web installer download speeds
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
    • Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
    • Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install in browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download