ROM ❯ PIXEL 2 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

73sydney

Account currently disabled
Thanks for the confirmation. I was aware of potential issues with SafetyNet caused by the dirty flashing fixes, but I asked some users to test before announcing 11.4.0 and they all reported it as passing for some reason. The revoked API key in Magisk Manager has lead me to disregard most SafetyNet reports recently, but I'll look into it now that you have a definitive result.

Cheers, ive switched back to clean flashing everything these days, so definitely not due to dirty flashing

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've been using it for some time, I'm liking it a lot, I just wish you had a version with all Pixel apps preinstalled. It's a bit of a hassle to install them all from the Play Store and setting them as default (think Contacts, Phone, Camera, etc).
Same; it's very much time consuming to go through and d/l each Google app to a ROM that should have it out of the box.

73sydney

Same; it's very much time consuming to go through and d/l each Google app to a ROM that should have it out of the box.

I hate to tell you this, but i prefer G-Apps free builds for this very reason:

Even those ROMs with them in you'll find theyre hopelessly outdated, meaning you'll have to update them from the Play Store anyways.

So im always begging for G-Appsless builds because its a smaller download

Case in point, i flashed PixelExperince ROM last night and then had to download updates from the Play Store ....

I dont know why devs wont update those before cooking the ROM, you'd have to ask them....lord knows ive asked plenty of them to do it over the years

So the best options really, especially if youre data limited as some are, is a G-Appsless build

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I hate to tell you this, but i prefer G-Apps free builds for this very reason:

Even those ROMs with them in you'll find theyre hopelessly outdated, meaning you'll have to update them from the Play Store anyways.
Yeah, I get that. Even official stock roms need all basic apps updated too. I guess for me, I don't like downloading a custom rom that has default apps for messaging and contacts, etc. that aren't official from Google. I get we can set our own default apps, but removing a system app can cause issues, right?

If there was a way to remove stock apps that I don't like and replace it with something else I'd love to know how.

73sydney

Yeah, I get that. Even official stock roms need all basic apps updated too. I guess for me, I don't like downloading a custom rom that has default apps for messaging and contacts, etc. that aren't official from Google. I get we can set our own default apps, but removing a system app can cause issues, right?

If there was a way to remove stock apps that I don't like and replace it with something else I'd love to know how.

Hi, how to avoid double apps?
Contact, phones, messages , etc.

Most good G-Apps packages will overwrite AOSP apps with Google ones....

Its been a LONG time since ive seen double ups of apps

Open G-Apps or Nik G-apps (my personal favourite, more up to date than Open) wont do that

whoadood

Oct 11, 2012
Most good G-Apps packages will overwrite AOSP apps with Google ones....

Its been a LONG time since ive seen double ups of apps

Open G-Apps or Nik G-apps (my personal favourite, more up to date than Open) wont do that
When you install the version of this ROM with google apps, you don't really get much. If you want the camera, contacts, dialler, calendar, etc. you have to install them from the play store. It's then when you get double apps.

Also, it's been over a week since the maintainer knows the new version of the ROM does not pass safetynet and that fact is still not listed under "known issues".

freecandymlg

Jul 12, 2018
Somewhere in Italy
Love this ROM, I've been using it for months, but there's only one thing I cannot bear: most important video-call apps (i.e Telegram, Microsoft Teams etc.) crash after ~10 minutes.
This happens only when using the camera in certain apps (i.e WhatsApp works without problems), not in voice-calls.

Hope you can fix this behavior asap.

Eventually, steps to reproduce:
  • Start videocall on one of these applications: Telegram, MS Teams;
  • Wait ~10 minutes or more without disabling front-camera;
If the app video freezes, you should still hear audio.

Touching the screen (stopping the call, going back etc) will make the app crash.

Not doing anything will result in the phone rebooting.

73sydney

When you install the version of this ROM with google apps, you don't really get much. If you want the camera, contacts, dialler, calendar, etc. you have to install them from the play store. It's then when you get double apps.

Also, it's been over a week since the maintainer knows the new version of the ROM does not pass safetynet and that fact is still not listed under "known issues".

Ill make what i said even clearer: Not a problem if you install the G-Apps free one, and then install your preferred G-Apps package, as i said, a good G-Apps package will take care of the AOSP equivalent apps

As for the safetynet issue: people have lives outside of XDA....this isnt his fulltime job....

Reactions: elong7681

73sydney

Speaking of G-Apps.....

If you're a fan of NikGapps, as i am, theyve just released their latest build with quite a few changes, the format of the config file (if you use that, i do) has changed - so dont reuse your existing one - and theyve cleverly added the ability for you to create your own version (no server needed, no extreme knowledge beyond editing the NikGapps config file needed either). Ive just submitted my own config, and their nightly build process will spit me out a tailored packaged overnight....should mean much less than the 1Gb of the full package i normally download, and also means i wont have to use the config file. Really nice stuff from NikGapps team.

Docs on the config file (including changes for LineageOS specifically): https://nikgapps.com/misc/2020/11/22/NikGapps-Config.html

Docs on creating your own package: https://github.com/nikgapps/config

Update:

And just like magic, the next day there appeared my own gapps package, which is tailored just for me, meaning no longer needing to use the config file, noyce!

Last edited:
Reactions: palimatix

Bverns88

Jun 22, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
This ROM is the real deal. The battery idle is just insance doesn't tick lower for a while. Very smooth no issues other than upon device turn on the settings app says error but it goes away. Definately sticking with kdragon for the rest of my pixel 2xl's life.

Callozz

Mar 1, 2020
Google Pixel 2 XL
So not sure if it's something about google play services but for like 3 days my device fails the safetynet, I already have the umiversal fix installed, is there something I can do or I have to wait for an update of Magisk/Module/Rom?

Licht xx

Feb 27, 2021
Help, my volume panel reverted back to the default pixel 2 behavior (aka it brings a bottom card when expanded)

Please help. I want the proper volume panel behavior

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.5.0 has been released.

Changes:
New website with comprehensive documentation and screenshots
• May security patch
• Added adaptive brightness toggle in QS (with UI tweaks)
• Added support for Pixel 4 and 4 XL
• Improved blur quality with state-of-the-art triangular RGB blue noise dithering and gamma correction
• Changed UI theme to Primer, modified with state-of-the-art color science (by patron vote)
• Better default ringtone, alarm, and notification sounds
• New photo wallpapers from Unsplash
• New space wallpapers from Infinitum
• Improved default Strange Landscape wallpaper (Infinitum)
• Low-level blur optimizations for GPU efficiency
• New, uniform blur strength across all devices
• Updated WebView to Chromium 90 (LineageOS)
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Enabled recents text selection for Pixel Launcher users
• Fixed network permission for multiple users (GrapheneOS)
• Pixel 2: Fixed SafetyNet attestation failures
• Pixel 4: Customizable Active Edge support
• Pixel 4: Unlocked always-on display setting (LineageOS)
• Pixel 4: Better connection to weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks
• Pixel 4: Night Light color temperature calibration from stock
• Pixel 4: Device and USB port overheating warnings from stock
• Pixel 4: Reduced background memory usage
• Pixel 4: Optimized native code for Snapdragon 855 CPU
• Pixel 4: Background app freezing for performance & battery
• Pixel 4: Smoother lock screen
• Pixel 4: More detailed face unlock errors
• Pixel 4: Disabled UI compositor debugging

Website
Install from browser (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.1 is now available with security updates, fixes, and minor tweaks.

Changes:
    • Merged January security patch
    • Fixed SafetyNet attestation failing since January 12
    • Fixed screen-off voice match in Google Assistant
    • Restored global search button in Settings
    • Added round search bar in app drawer
    • Added support for gesture typing in AOSP Keyboard
    • Pixel 2: Added support for Bluetooth hearing aids
    • Pixel 2: Removed duplicate wallpaper pickers
    • Pixel 5: Removed excess padding below keyboard

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
    • Updated to March feature drop base
    • Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
    • Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
    • Slightly faster cold app launches
    • Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
    • Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
    • Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
    • Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
    • Improved web installer reliability
    • Fixed all common web installer bugs
    • Improved web installer download speeds
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
    • Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
    • Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install in browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download