ROM ❯ PIXEL 4 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP
Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
ROM source code

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.5.0 has been released.

Changes:
New website with comprehensive documentation and screenshots
• May security patch
• Added adaptive brightness toggle in QS (with UI tweaks)
• Added support for Pixel 4 and 4 XL
• Improved blur quality with state-of-the-art triangular RGB blue noise dithering and gamma correction
• Changed UI theme to Primer, modified with state-of-the-art color science (by patron vote)
• Better default ringtone, alarm, and notification sounds
• New photo wallpapers from Unsplash
• New space wallpapers from Infinitum
• Improved default Strange Landscape wallpaper (Infinitum)
• Low-level blur optimizations for GPU efficiency
• New, uniform blur strength across all devices
• Updated WebView to Chromium 90 (LineageOS)
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Enabled recents text selection for Pixel Launcher users
• Fixed network permission for multiple users (GrapheneOS)
• Pixel 2: Fixed SafetyNet attestation failures
• Pixel 4: Customizable Active Edge support
• Pixel 4: Unlocked always-on display setting (LineageOS)
• Pixel 4: Better connection to weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks
• Pixel 4: Night Light color temperature calibration from stock
• Pixel 4: Device and USB port overheating warnings from stock
• Pixel 4: Reduced background memory usage
• Pixel 4: Optimized native code for Snapdragon 855 CPU
• Pixel 4: Background app freezing for performance & battery
• Pixel 4: Smoother lock screen
• Pixel 4: More detailed face unlock errors
• Pixel 4: Disabled UI compositor debugging

Website
Install from browser (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.

Johnrob011045

Oct 15, 2013
Do you really get 8 1/2 hours screen on time with 50% battery left? I only get 6 hours 25 minutes with 15% left with my current rom.

RogerF81

Oct 14, 2015
Stuttgart
Xiaomi Poco F3
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel.​
Which one is included instead? As the standalone Proton kernel is only available for the Pixel 5, right?

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Do you really get 8 1/2 hours screen on time with 50% battery left? I only get 6 hours 25 minutes with 15% left with my current rom.
Where did you see that? https://protonaosp.kdrag0n.dev/faq#battery-life
Does this ROM support WiFi tethering? I feel like I need to ask this because some roms don't.
Added to the FAQ: https://protonaosp.kdrag0n.dev/faq#hotspot-support
Which one is included instead? As the standalone Proton kernel is only available for the Pixel 5, right?
Is your Kernel only for Pixel 5 I have looked all around?
That wasn't meant to be part of this post. Removed, sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• 5-18-2021 4-02-14 PM.jpg
    5-18-2021 4-02-14 PM.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 585

Curiousn00b

My guess is the picture in the "screenshots" otherwise I have no idea. I do not see battery anywhere else but I was also very curious when I read this myself.
Based on the screenshot, no mobile data and last charge was 3 days ago, it's probably a screenshot from a device that's not the daily driver and has been sitting on the desk for a bit, lol.

Android 12 is nice, but I want the full use showed in screenshots, so I'll flash back to 11 and run this tomorrow.

Based on the screenshot, no mobile data and last charge was 3 days ago, it's probably a screenshot from a device that's not the daily driver and has been sitting on the desk for a bit, lol.

Android 12 is nice, but I want the full use showed in screenshots, so I'll flash back to 11 and run this tomorrow.
I am hoping someone using Proton now will see this and post a real life battery screenshot showing the actual battery estimates. Of course there's a billion factors that can cause battery life to suck and 1 user to get better than the next user, but a general pic would be nice.

I'm finishing up testing on the Bliss ROM 11 then I do plan to test the one next but it won't be right away.

Reactions: Curiousn00b

Curiousn00b

I am hoping someone using Proton now will see this and post a real life battery screenshot showing the actual battery estimates. Of course there's a billion factors that can cause battery life to suck and 1 user to get better than the next user, but a general pic would be nice.

I'm finishing up testing on the Bliss ROM 11 then I do plan to test the one next but it won't be right away.
I stopped worrying about battery life unless my phone is hot in my pocket for no reason, lol. Some people expect to get 8 hours SoT since one user achieved it, but 75% of that could be from watching media.

I don't average any crazy numbers for SoT unless I'm watching videos for hours.

I stopped worrying about battery life unless my phone is hot in my pocket for no reason, lol. Some people expect to get 8 hours SoT since one user achieved it, but 75% of that could be from watching media.

I don't average any crazy numbers for SoT unless I'm watching videos for hours.
I actually find that my pixel 4XL has much better life than any other device I've owned. My HTC10 was that only 1 that almost compared. My pixel 3XL and 2 XL did not get anywhere near what my 4 XL gets but I'm also not a battery watcher myself. I just disable apps I don't want running, or remove the "boot" service for apps I don't want running, and limit what apps can do what actions (network/keep alive / wakelocks / etc) and my battery life is stellar in my opinion.

My original reply comment was more for a general idea than anything sound with facts.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev

It's from my daily driver, but I don't charge to 100% all the time or bother to clear battery stats. I don't share examples of battery life because it's highly personal and I don't want anyone to complain about it being worse than expected. My personal usage is very light compared to many others, so it's not a very good example to use here.

It's from my daily driver, but I don't charge to 100% all the time or bother to clear battery stats. I don't share examples of battery life because it's highly personal and I don't want anyone to complain about it being worse than expected. My personal usage is very light compared to many others, so it's not a very good example to use here.
Mine too for right now and it's really really good, battery is awesome so far! Check this out, last charge 12 hours ago and 86% left! I do prevent all apps I don't want running in the background from starting (SDMaid) and I do prevent many apps from using the internet (iptables). These help but even without them, the battery was really good!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-043827_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210523-043827_Settings.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Curiousn00b

Been running the ROM for a couple days now and I really like it. The new sounds are also very pleasant to the ear. I even set my transition animations to 1.5x speed and the animations make everything look better with my eyes.

Starting with barely any apps installed, instantly started off way faster than stock. Besides features missing due to be special to stock and tedious to port over, the only issue(graphical) I found is with the text clock on always on display, the icons overlap with the bottom text depending on what time it is.

Other than that, amazing work.

Reactions: GROOVYJOSHCLARK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.2 has been released. Sorry for the delay this month; I've been busy with other projects, but here's the full release.

Changes:
    • July security patch
    • Added search to website
    Added red, green, and blue color balance settings
    Added alarm, ringtone, and notification sounds from Plasma Mobile
    • Added HarmonyOS Sans font style
    Extended font styles to affect third-party apps (reboot to apply changes)
    Improved Night Light quality using chromatic adaptation (reduced color distortion)
    • Improved Ambient EQ quality (with modern color science: CAT16)
    • More gradual transition when turning Night Light on/off
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added setting for increased touch sensitivity
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added "Saturated" color profile
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Fixed Night Sight crashes in Google Camera
    • Pixel 4/XL, 2/XL: Fixed Active Edge instability with multiple profiles
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for HDR10+ (Diab)
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for modem diagnostics

Website
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Download

hey , how did you restrict apps that boot during device bootup ? Does it required SDMaid Pro ? and is root required ?
    yes and yes, ROOT with using SD Maid (I have Pro), so I am not 100% certain if BOOT / APP boot control is premium only or in the free version so test it and let me know. Once in SD Maid, go to app management, boot (see pic 1), and disable ALL apps you dont need. You would be VERY surprised how many apps start with boot (mainly GAMES and streaming services) so they can push you annoying game and app notifications. SCREW that, it does nothing but wastes battery, RAM, and annoys me the crap out of me so I block and disable them. Then, for things like the hidden Verizon tracking apps, I disable with IPChains so its firewall'd and dropped at the source and doesn't leave my device. Those apps (com.verizon.lkagent / com.verizon.obdm_permissions / com.verizon.mips.services AKA MY Verizon Services) start with boot and not only run in the background but collect device info and send to verizon, NO WAY that's happening! By firewalling those UUIDs, they cant reach the tracking services or verizon. Since they cant check in, they cant use RAM or battery or network (or at are using less resources than if allowed).

I do this on ALL ROMs I test and use (even stock), but you can also freeze those apps with TiB (if you have) but freezing disables the app as if its removed, whereas turning off the BOOT, disables the auto-start BUT doesn't freeze (disable) so its still usable on demand. I use all of the apps I disable on BOOT, and I have NEVER had an issue with disabling boot so I highly recommend reviewing boot apps. Just keep an eye out and watch for apps you need to receive notifications from (like XDA or Messenger, or Amazon/eBay), stuff like that. I do not disable those auto-starts as I DO want update notifications but only a VERY few apps get to send notifications for my droids's (email/work/XDA/TXT stuff like that) or can run.

I'm my last pic (I updated my post to show this piece), you'll see the verizon BULL SPIT services trying over and over to check-in but can't! This is WHY I firewall and DROP ALL verizon crap services so they can't track me. If you haven't seen or read what's being tracked, open the app data for my verizon and you will see literally everything about your device is sent to verizon without your permission. NOPE ain't happenin! They do not have my consent to know this type of information so to me, this is a clear sign of misconduct on their part but there's no way to stop it without firewall'ing the UUIDs (verizon services) or disable the apps and services all together. The problem with disabling them is WiFi calling is interrupted so I found it is better to simply drop the communication to their services then it is with disabling the apps.