ROM ❯ PIXEL 4 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

Been running the ROM for a couple days now and I really like it. The new sounds are also very pleasant to the ear. I even set my transition animations to 1.5x speed and the animations make everything look better with my eyes.

Starting with barely any apps installed, instantly started off way faster than stock. Besides features missing due to be special to stock and tedious to port over, the only issue(graphical) I found is with the text clock on always on display, the icons overlap with the bottom text depending on what time it is.

Other than that, amazing work.
I do not use the text clock but I agree to everything else. It's definitely faster than stock and is in my opinion a better version of stock. I've been running it now as my daily driver for 5 days and not a single issue. Battery for me (with my custom iptables and app start restrictions using SDMaid) lasts forever it seems and I use my pixel like 90% of the day. It's always in my hand and being used for work so it's a valid use case scenario for real power consumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerF81

RogerF81

Oct 14, 2015
Mannheim
I do not use the text clock but I agree to everything else. It's definitely faster than stock and is in my opinion a better version of stock. I've been running it now as my daily driver for 5 days and not a single issue. Battery for me (with my custom iptables and app start restrictions using SDMaid) lasts forever it seems and I use my pixel like 90% of the day. It's always in my hand and being used for work so it's a valid use case scenario for real power consumption.
Sounds like I have to switch to this next weekend :D

Reactions: GROOVYJOSHCLARK

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

I decided that "weekend" means "now" :D
LOL I do that myself quite often 😜

On a personal note, I usually switch ROMs to test and help other devs and users (quite often in fact), but I may stay on this one a while. It's pretty stable with awesome battery life for my type of use. I do use it literally all day long because of my job (senior sys engineer/architect) so I use my pixel for the better part of a full day. I rarely plug in, and never overnight. I let it sit and go to sleep and uses almost no battery life overnight. Battery life is very personal but on a system level, without anything extra, it's fantastic I've found. On top of that, I take it further with restrictions to what can run in the background, what can start, and what can use data. This combination keeps my battery level awesome throughout the day

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerF81

RogerF81

Oct 14, 2015
Mannheim
LOL I do that myself quite often 😜

On a personal note, I usually switch ROMs to test and help other devs and users (quite often in fact), but I may stay on this one a while. It's pretty stable with awesome battery life for my type of use. I do use it literally all day long because of my job (senior sys engineer/architect) so I use my pixel for the better part of a full day. I rarely plug in, and never overnight. I let it sit and go to sleep and uses almost no battery life overnight. Battery life is very personal but on a system level, without anything extra, it's fantastic I've found. On top of that, I take it further with restrictions to what can run in the background, what can start, and what can use data. This combination keeps my battery level awesome throughout the day
I might try the same! Installing right now :D

RogerF81

Oct 14, 2015
Mannheim
So these are the stats of my very first day on ProtonAOSP. Battery stats are good, the Rom all in all is really amazing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-191409_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20210526-191409_Einstellungen.png
    249 KB · Views: 86

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

first time to use web installer. it's too easy to install a custom rom
How did it work out? Any issues or smooth sailing? I usually tell users not to use the web version of Google's official firmware (chrome) because I have seen lots of issues, but this web version seems different so I am curious on your results.

storytellerz

May 16, 2012
Kuching
Google Pixel 4 XL
How did it work out? Any issues or smooth sailing? I usually tell users not to use the web version of Google's official firmware (chrome) because I have seen lots of issues, but this web version seems different so I am curious on your results.
I also jump to this ROM through web installation, it's hassle-free. Just a few simple click and boom, your phone is on a new ROM.

Mizta_Rshn

Jul 14, 2016
ipoh perak
Google Pixel 4 XL
hey , how did you restrict apps that boot during device bootup ? Does it required SDMaid Pro ? and is root required ?

Reactions: KingMike67

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

hey , how did you restrict apps that boot during device bootup ? Does it required SDMaid Pro ? and is root required ?
yes and yes, ROOT with using SD Maid (I have Pro), so I am not 100% certain if BOOT / APP boot control is premium only or in the free version so test it and let me know. Once in SD Maid, go to app management, boot (see pic 1), and disable ALL apps you dont need. You would be VERY surprised how many apps start with boot (mainly GAMES and streaming services) so they can push you annoying game and app notifications. SCREW that, it does nothing but wastes battery, RAM, and annoys me the crap out of me so I block and disable them. Then, for things like the hidden Verizon tracking apps, I disable with IPChains so its firewall'd and dropped at the source and doesn't leave my device. Those apps (com.verizon.lkagent / com.verizon.obdm_permissions / com.verizon.mips.services AKA MY Verizon Services) start with boot and not only run in the background but collect device info and send to verizon, NO WAY that's happening! By firewalling those UUIDs, they cant reach the tracking services or verizon. Since they cant check in, they cant use RAM or battery or network (or at are using less resources than if allowed).

I do this on ALL ROMs I test and use (even stock), but you can also freeze those apps with TiB (if you have) but freezing disables the app as if its removed, whereas turning off the BOOT, disables the auto-start BUT doesn't freeze (disable) so its still usable on demand. I use all of the apps I disable on BOOT, and I have NEVER had an issue with disabling boot so I highly recommend reviewing boot apps. Just keep an eye out and watch for apps you need to receive notifications from (like XDA or Messenger, or Amazon/eBay), stuff like that. I do not disable those auto-starts as I DO want update notifications but only a VERY few apps get to send notifications for my droids's (email/work/XDA/TXT stuff like that) or can run.

I'm my last pic (I updated my post to show this piece), you'll see the verizon BULL SPIT services trying over and over to check-in but can't! This is WHY I firewall and DROP ALL verizon crap services so they can't track me. If you haven't seen or read what's being tracked, open the app data for my verizon and you will see literally everything about your device is sent to verizon without your permission. NOPE ain't happenin! They do not have my consent to know this type of information so to me, this is a clear sign of misconduct on their part but there's no way to stop it without firewall'ing the UUIDs (verizon services) or disable the apps and services all together. The problem with disabling them is WiFi calling is interrupted so I found it is better to simply drop the communication to their services then it is with disabling the apps.

Attachments

• messages_0.jpeg
    messages_0.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 53
  • messages_1.jpeg
    messages_1.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210601-072728_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210601-072728_Settings.png
    274.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

neo_lithic3K

May 12, 2013
San Francisco
This is a great rom. Everything felt faster and there were extra options that I liked. However, I had to switch back to stock because I couldn't get Call Screening to work and I've come to depend on call screening to weed out all the spam and telemarketer calls. I know OP already mentioned it, but I thought that I could "systemize" it or try other methods to get it to work.

If you don't need call screening though, then this is a really good rom to try.

Reactions: KingMike67

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.2 has been released. Sorry for the delay this month; I've been busy with other projects, but here's the full release.

Changes:
    • July security patch
    • Added search to website
    Added red, green, and blue color balance settings
    Added alarm, ringtone, and notification sounds from Plasma Mobile
    • Added HarmonyOS Sans font style
    Extended font styles to affect third-party apps (reboot to apply changes)
    Improved Night Light quality using chromatic adaptation (reduced color distortion)
    • Improved Ambient EQ quality (with modern color science: CAT16)
    • More gradual transition when turning Night Light on/off
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added setting for increased touch sensitivity
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added "Saturated" color profile
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Fixed Night Sight crashes in Google Camera
    • Pixel 4/XL, 2/XL: Fixed Active Edge instability with multiple profiles
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for HDR10+ (Diab)
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for modem diagnostics

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    Work's better than stock rom...
    Very very better
    Read most but cant find root? How can I get root? Sorry if this is a dumb questions.
    Proton on the Pixel 4 XL uses the stock kernel image from Google, so you just want to get your hands on the boot.img from the factory image, use Magisk to modify that, then flash it.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.2 has been released. Sorry for the delay this month; I've been busy with other projects, but here's the full release.

Changes:
    • July security patch
    • Added search to website
    Added red, green, and blue color balance settings
    Added alarm, ringtone, and notification sounds from Plasma Mobile
    • Added HarmonyOS Sans font style
    Extended font styles to affect third-party apps (reboot to apply changes)
    Improved Night Light quality using chromatic adaptation (reduced color distortion)
    • Improved Ambient EQ quality (with modern color science: CAT16)
    • More gradual transition when turning Night Light on/off
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added setting for increased touch sensitivity
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added "Saturated" color profile
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Fixed Night Sight crashes in Google Camera
    • Pixel 4/XL, 2/XL: Fixed Active Edge instability with multiple profiles
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for HDR10+ (Diab)
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for modem diagnostics

Website
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Download

yes and yes, ROOT with using SD Maid (I have Pro), so I am not 100% certain if BOOT / APP boot control is premium only or in the free version so test it and let me know. Once in SD Maid, go to app management, boot (see pic 1), and disable ALL apps you dont need. You would be VERY surprised how many apps start with boot (mainly GAMES and streaming services) so they can push you annoying game and app notifications. SCREW that, it does nothing but wastes battery, RAM, and annoys me the crap out of me so I block and disable them. Then, for things like the hidden Verizon tracking apps, I disable with IPChains so its firewall'd and dropped at the source and doesn't leave my device. Those apps (com.verizon.lkagent / com.verizon.obdm_permissions / com.verizon.mips.services AKA MY Verizon Services) start with boot and not only run in the background but collect device info and send to verizon, NO WAY that's happening! By firewalling those UUIDs, they cant reach the tracking services or verizon. Since they cant check in, they cant use RAM or battery or network (or at are using less resources than if allowed).

I do this on ALL ROMs I test and use (even stock), but you can also freeze those apps with TiB (if you have) but freezing disables the app as if its removed, whereas turning off the BOOT, disables the auto-start BUT doesn't freeze (disable) so its still usable on demand. I use all of the apps I disable on BOOT, and I have NEVER had an issue with disabling boot so I highly recommend reviewing boot apps. Just keep an eye out and watch for apps you need to receive notifications from (like XDA or Messenger, or Amazon/eBay), stuff like that. I do not disable those auto-starts as I DO want update notifications but only a VERY few apps get to send notifications for my droids's (email/work/XDA/TXT stuff like that) or can run.

I'm my last pic (I updated my post to show this piece), you'll see the verizon BULL SPIT services trying over and over to check-in but can't! This is WHY I firewall and DROP ALL verizon crap services so they can't track me. If you haven't seen or read what's being tracked, open the app data for my verizon and you will see literally everything about your device is sent to verizon without your permission. NOPE ain't happenin! They do not have my consent to know this type of information so to me, this is a clear sign of misconduct on their part but there's no way to stop it without firewall'ing the UUIDs (verizon services) or disable the apps and services all together. The problem with disabling them is WiFi calling is interrupted so I found it is better to simply drop the communication to their services then it is with disabling the apps.