ROM ❯ PIXEL 4 XL ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread
Thanks for the direction :). I was unaware that the official Google camera was in the PlayStore so thats good to hear. Otherwise I've been on your rom a few days now and I don't think I've charged my phone yet. I haven't used it very much but that means that it standbys like a beast.

Thanks again fantastic rom man!

Edit: Oops sorry the rom developer is kdrag0n so thanks to him! But also to you GroovyJosh, unless you also are the dev then... thanks!
Nope not the dev here, not anymore. I am glad GCam is workin for ya. I don't have time to support development for ROM/apps anymore, so I just help the awesome devs that still do bake them for us.

ZeroKool76

Oct 21, 2014
Man its been a while since I've wandered the bright halls of XDA. Although looking a bit more modern I must say.

I'm still rocking my 4XL and stopped by to look at kernels and ended up in this fine thread with this fine rom on my phone.

Nice work! It's got a very good feel to it. Now I've been out of the loop for a while now, but I always thought AOSP was pretty much naked android, and thus thats what I thought I had all along on my Pixel phones 1, 2XL and 4XL on Project Fi.. like as google as it gets I suppose. But this rom is pure AOSP?

My only gripe is the camera app. Compared to the current Google camera app on.... uhh other AOSP A12, this one is like 50 steps backwards. Not to knock the rom at all please don't take it that way, I'm just confused about what Google considers stock android and pixel android I guess?

Awesome work! Solid daily driver for sure.
AOSP is raw Android, no features whatsoever. Google then uses that base and adds their own specific versions of apps that were meant to run on pixels, as well as their proprietary features. An example would be, say, the phone app. I believe proton is using the barebones AOSP version, so you won't get any of the pixel specific features, like "hold my call" or call screening. Same goes with apps like the clock, AOSP won't have the bedtime mode. And obviously you realized the downfall of using the AOSP camera. Not to mention all the proprietary features that won't work(depending on whether he felt like reverse engineering them), like active edge and soli. This would be a fantastic ROM to run on any other device other than a Pixel, lol. You're just crippling half of the features that make the pixel, a pixel. Which explains why the battery is so good. If I turned off all the bells and whistles on my P4XL, I would get great battery as well. 😂

But, getting back to your original statement, this rom is about as barebones and as close to "pure" AOSP as you'll probably come across. If that's your thing, you're in the right place.

ChocoboX

Sep 6, 2010
Nice features. Does it support exfat and ntfs for usbotg? I looked at the FAQ and I couldn't find that information.

AOSP is raw Android, no features whatsoever. Google then uses that base and adds their own specific versions of apps that were meant to run on pixels, as well as their proprietary features. An example would be, say, the phone app. I believe proton is using the barebones AOSP version, so you won't get any of the pixel specific features, like "hold my call" or call screening. Same goes with apps like the clock, AOSP won't have the bedtime mode. And obviously you realized the downfall of using the AOSP camera. Not to mention all the proprietary features that won't work(depending on whether he felt like reverse engineering them), like active edge and soli. This would be a fantastic ROM to run on any other device other than a Pixel, lol. You're just crippling half of the features that make the pixel, a pixel. Which explains why the battery is so good. If I turned off all the bells and whistles on my P4XL, I would get great battery as well. 😂

But, getting back to your original statement, this rom is about as barebones and as close to "pure" AOSP as you'll probably come across. If that's your thing, you're in the right place.
I would agree with parts of this but also disagree with parts of this comment. Aside from the few proprietary things like soli, you get a much better version of Android 12, not a crippled one. With Proton you get a far superior pixel experience than you do with stock (not the other way around). Proton is more stock'like than most ROMs but thats the main point. It is a better version of A12, and doesn't have the A12 annoyances stock does, and allows for extra customization that stock cannot.

In my opinion its far more stable than stock plus you can install almost everything stock google related (to fill in whatever is missing) with what you referenced "as crippling a pixel". In my opinion, its a WAY BETTER Pixel experience using Proton, than stock. Battery life out of the box is phenomenal, but thats not because of missing bells and whistles (because they are there in Proton as well), the same ones as stock. Its better because of a better derived Android 12 from code than stock, but not from being "crippled".

I am not arguing at all, you raise good points but from your experience, mine is much different. Because of this, I am offering readers another opinion and another perspective from my own personal Proton experience. Its my daily driver for the reasons I listed, plus its stable as hell, fast, and just works!

Reactions: ZeroKool76

ZeroKool76

Oct 21, 2014
I would agree with parts of this but also disagree with parts of this comment. Aside from the few proprietary things like soli, you get a much better version of Android 12, not a crippled one. With Proton you get a far superior pixel experience than you do with stock (not the other way around). Proton is more stock'like than most ROMs but thats the main point. It is a better version of A12, and doesn't have the A12 annoyances stock does, and allows for extra customization that stock cannot.

In my opinion its far more stable than stock plus you can install almost everything stock google related (to fill in whatever is missing) with what you referenced "as crippling a pixel". In my opinion, its a WAY BETTER Pixel experience using Proton, than stock. Battery life out of the box is phenomenal, but thats not because of missing bells and whistles (because they are there in Proton as well), the same ones as stock. Its better because of a better derived Android 12 from code than stock, but not from being "crippled".

I am not arguing at all, you raise good points but from your experience, mine is much different. Because of this, I am offering readers another opinion and another perspective from my own personal Proton experience. Its my daily driver for the reasons I listed, plus its stable as hell, fast, and just works!
I understand where you're coming from and I can respect your opinion. By "crippling", I was referring to the features that, for myself, were major reasons why I got the device, and those would be the proprietary features. Yes, you can download most of the google versions, but you can't make use of the features related to those apps without them being systemized. Call screening and hold my call, for example. I agree that proton is a "cleaner" version of Android, since it doesn't have all the google bloat on top. But, again, for me, that's why I bought the pixel. I use the same argument with people that flash LOS on a pixel, basically killing off everything good(that I like)about it. But, yes, it is nice to have a civilized conversation, where both sides can be examined equally. Given the state the world is in currently, that seems to be a novel idea, so I appreciate your ability to act as such. Take care.

Also, I never consider a civilized conversation, arguing, you made some valid points.

Reactions: GROOVYJOSHCLARK
I understand where you're coming from and I can respect your opinion. By "crippling", I was referring to the features that, for myself, were major reasons why I got the device, and those would be the proprietary features. Yes, you can download most of the google versions, but you can't make use of the features related to those apps without them being systemized. Call screening and hold my call, for example. I agree that proton is a "cleaner" version of Android, since it doesn't have all the google bloat on top. But, again, for me, that's why I bought the pixel. I use the same argument with people that flash LOS on a pixel, basically killing off everything good(that I like)about it. But, yes, it is nice to have a civilized conversation, where both sides can be examined equally. Given the state the world is in currently, that seems to be a novel idea, so I appreciate your ability to act as such. Take care.

Also, I never consider a civilized conversation, arguing, you made some valid points.
I am glad you are among the mature XDA'rs (like me) that CAN take other opinions or comments as that, just opinions/comments, but they are NOT an attack or bashing the original post (hell or even a negative comment) but often thats how they are treated. This means normally I get back a slew of argumentative comments that derail the train and goes nowhere which ends up hurting the user requesting the assistance (because we lost the train of thought and are now arguing over things that are not in the topic). I tend to offer both sides of the pendulum with playing devils'' advocate so both sides of the track are played through (so both opinions/recommendations are played out) so the user can see both sides. This is where I generally rub the users wrong with my comments. Often they are seen as attacks, but not just another opinion (or different facts).

In Android, there are a hundred different ways to accomplish the same thing, some are safer than others, so I often show both sides. Users tend to feel thats an attack so I am glad you didn't and saw it for what it was, just another side to think about.

Reactions: ZeroKool76
I haven't personally tested it yet, but kdrag0n just released v12.2.1 - February 7, 2022:

I plan to test it soon but I am on A11 now so it will be tested when I am ready to move to A12 again. Anyone here that tests it, please share your results for everyone to see/read.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.2 has been released. Sorry for the delay this month; I've been busy with other projects, but here's the full release.

Changes:
    • July security patch
    • Added search to website
    Added red, green, and blue color balance settings
    Added alarm, ringtone, and notification sounds from Plasma Mobile
    • Added HarmonyOS Sans font style
    Extended font styles to affect third-party apps (reboot to apply changes)
    Improved Night Light quality using chromatic adaptation (reduced color distortion)
    • Improved Ambient EQ quality (with modern color science: CAT16)
    • More gradual transition when turning Night Light on/off
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added setting for increased touch sensitivity
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added "Saturated" color profile
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Fixed Night Sight crashes in Google Camera
    • Pixel 4/XL, 2/XL: Fixed Active Edge instability with multiple profiles
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for HDR10+ (Diab)
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for modem diagnostics

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
    • June security patch and feature drop base
    Added status bar icon and clock customization
    Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
    Added performance and other technical details to website
    • Improved dark UI color scheme
    • Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
    • Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
    • Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
    • Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Updated permissions for Google apps
    • Updated website link in Settings
    • Updated system fonts

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    hey , how did you restrict apps that boot during device bootup ? Does it required SDMaid Pro ? and is root required ?
    yes and yes, ROOT with using SD Maid (I have Pro), so I am not 100% certain if BOOT / APP boot control is premium only or in the free version so test it and let me know. Once in SD Maid, go to app management, boot (see pic 1), and disable ALL apps you dont need. You would be VERY surprised how many apps start with boot (mainly GAMES and streaming services) so they can push you annoying game and app notifications. SCREW that, it does nothing but wastes battery, RAM, and annoys me the crap out of me so I block and disable them. Then, for things like the hidden Verizon tracking apps, I disable with IPChains so its firewall'd and dropped at the source and doesn't leave my device. Those apps (com.verizon.lkagent / com.verizon.obdm_permissions / com.verizon.mips.services AKA MY Verizon Services) start with boot and not only run in the background but collect device info and send to verizon, NO WAY that's happening! By firewalling those UUIDs, they cant reach the tracking services or verizon. Since they cant check in, they cant use RAM or battery or network (or at are using less resources than if allowed).

I do this on ALL ROMs I test and use (even stock), but you can also freeze those apps with TiB (if you have) but freezing disables the app as if its removed, whereas turning off the BOOT, disables the auto-start BUT doesn't freeze (disable) so its still usable on demand. I use all of the apps I disable on BOOT, and I have NEVER had an issue with disabling boot so I highly recommend reviewing boot apps. Just keep an eye out and watch for apps you need to receive notifications from (like XDA or Messenger, or Amazon/eBay), stuff like that. I do not disable those auto-starts as I DO want update notifications but only a VERY few apps get to send notifications for my droids's (email/work/XDA/TXT stuff like that) or can run.

I'm my last pic (I updated my post to show this piece), you'll see the verizon BULL SPIT services trying over and over to check-in but can't! This is WHY I firewall and DROP ALL verizon crap services so they can't track me. If you haven't seen or read what's being tracked, open the app data for my verizon and you will see literally everything about your device is sent to verizon without your permission. NOPE ain't happenin! They do not have my consent to know this type of information so to me, this is a clear sign of misconduct on their part but there's no way to stop it without firewall'ing the UUIDs (verizon services) or disable the apps and services all together. The problem with disabling them is WiFi calling is interrupted so I found it is better to simply drop the communication to their services then it is with disabling the apps.