ROM ❯ PIXEL 4A 5G ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

syborg

Sep 4, 2010
Google Pixel 4a 5G
My device is in fastboot mode and I get this message. What do I do now?
image_2021-03-02_105957.png

eljefe0000

Mar 8, 2012
Any one have any clue how to go back to stock I have tried using googles online tool and I get "this is not your carrier" error no matter which carrier I choose

Wi1son

Dec 13, 2012
Any one have any clue how to go back to stock I have tried using googles online tool and I get "this is not your carrier" error no matter which carrier I choose
Edit as needed for Bramble

Reactions: eljefe0000

eljefe0000

Mar 8, 2012
Edit as needed for Bramble
just used this to flash over this rom easy enough https://flash.android.com/welcome
and this for the builds again easy enough https://source.android.com/setup/start/build-numbers

MegaJuif

Nov 17, 2018
Sherbrooke
Working flawless, both kernel and rom make my phone snappier, google pay work without even root. Thanks for your hard work.

I still have one question tho, is it possible to change those tweak, i dont see the call recording feature, and unlike previous rom i tried i dont see more settings than stock rom.

Thanks in advances.

Reactions: davids_laughter

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Working flawless, both kernel and rom make my phone snappier, google pay work without even root. Thanks for your hard work.

I still have one question tho, is it possible to change those tweak, i dont see the call recording feature, and unlike previous rom i tried i dont see more settings than stock rom.

Thanks in advances.
No, customization is not a priority for this ROM. I'd recommend using LineageOS if you care about customization.

ThrawnXR01

Jan 3, 2016
Hi, I succefully installed the ROM and the Proton Kernel on my new phone and it is really nice. But now I want to root it too. How can I do that with the custom kernel already installed? Do I have to flash back the stock kernel? (How?)

Rhodybak

Dec 24, 2016
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hi, I succefully installed the ROM and the Proton Kernel on my new phone and it is really nice. But now I want to root it too. How can I do that with the custom kernel already installed? Do I have to flash back the stock kernel? (How?)

Post #21

I followed this Root your bramble with Magisk Guide and it worked great for me (although I'm going to add my guide for creating your own rooted boot.img to install as the one linked in the Guide may not be the right kernel for you).

I would skip downloading the Rooted Kernel he tells you to download in the beginning as it's not always going to be the correct kernel / boot.img that you're going to need. You're better off learning how to manually find and root the boot.img yourself.

Download and install the latest Magisk Manager from their GitHub Download section. (The Magisk Manager with the version in Green is the latest Stable version, I'd recommend starting with that and not the Red colored "Canary" link as that's the newest/experimental version)

If you still have the Proton.zip that you flashed to your phone skip to the next step, if you don't still have it you'll need to redownload it.

Once the Proton .zip has been downloaded, extract the .zip somewhere and go into the newly extracted folder, inside there should be another .zip that starts with "image-bramble-". Extract that .zip and inside should be a boot.img file, you'll want to copy that over to your phone.

Once the boot.img file is copied over to your phone, open up Magisk Manager and click on the Install button that's to the right of where it says Magisk, then select the "Select and Patch a File" option which should then open up a file explorer. Navigate the file explorer to the boot.img you just copied over in the previous step, once you select the boot.img it will take you back to the Magisk Manager, click on "LET'S GO -->" and Magisk will create an updated boot.img with Root. If all went well you should see a message similar to this:

******************************* Output file is written to... /storage/emuilated/0/Download......... *******************************

Wherever it says the output file is written to, is the location of your own rooted boot.img. Rename the file from "magisk_patched_.....img" to "boot.img" and now you're all set to follow the guide on how to install your own rooted boot.img!

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
• Updated to March feature drop base
• Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
• Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
• Slightly faster cold app launches
• Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
• Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
• Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
• Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
• Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Improved web installer reliability
• Fixed all common web installer bugs
• Improved web installer download speeds
• Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
• Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
• Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
• Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
• Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

MegaJuif

Nov 17, 2018
Sherbrooke
ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
Awesome, one question tho, do i have to reflash proton kernel after the update ?

iball2929

May 17, 2018
I'm on a new Apple M1 Macbook Pro and the web updater updated my 4a5g just fine.
Then reflashed the proton kernel and all is good to go. Thanks!

Bobyouall

Mar 27, 2015
I can not get this phone to do a USB file transfer. I've tried 3 different cables, 3 different USB ports, changed the default USB setting in developer options and tried to change it manually. It just never shows up on my computer.

EDIT: Comes up fine on my fiances. Very weird.

EDIT 2: For some reason, it was shown as an Acer Device under device manager. I just uninstalled it, unplugged it, and plugged it back in and it worked.

MegaJuif

Nov 17, 2018
Sherbrooke
I can not get this phone to do a USB file transfer. I've tried 3 different cables, 3 different USB ports, changed the default USB setting in developer options and tried to change it manually. It just never shows up on my computer.

EDIT: Comes up fine on my fiances. Very weird.

EDIT 2: For some reason, it was shown as an Acer Device under device manager. I just uninstalled it, unplugged it, and plugged it back in and it worked.
i had to install manually an old usb driver to get adb/fastboot to work.

EmiRap

Feb 19, 2018
Macerata
Hello everyone and thank you for your immense work and desire to help others
I have recently received my pixel 4a 5G and I would like to try to speed up the smartphone with a Rom & Kernel and given the rust, since I flashed it the last time, in addition to the blle sensations of operation described by users there is also the tool dedicated for the web which greatly facilitates the process so very well
What I did not understand is this: it is enough that the oem unlock is enabled from the developer settings to start and if then the installation will be done automatically?
Thanks for the answers that I know will not be long in coming

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Hello everyone and thank you for your immense work and desire to help others
I have recently received my pixel 4a 5G and I would like to try to speed up the smartphone with a Rom & Kernel and given the rust, since I flashed it the last time, in addition to the blle sensations of operation described by users there is also the tool dedicated for the web which greatly facilitates the process so very well
What I did not understand is this: it is enough that the oem unlock is enabled from the developer settings to start and if then the installation will be done automatically?
Thanks for the answers that I know will not be long in coming
This Guide might help: [Guide] Root Pixel 4a (5G) Android 11 (R)
- Index: 3. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader
- Index: 9. Custom ROMS

Last edited:

dbroer91884

Jul 25, 2012
Just wanted to say thank you for this ROM. I was running the Android 12 DP and all of a sudden, my phone went into some crazy boot issue where the Google icon would come up, it would boot to the UI, then just flip back to the Google Icon, and then back to the UI, over and over. I tried to fix it using the Google web installer to get it back to normal, and it just stuck on the Google Icon after that.

Used your web installer and installed and booted with no issues. I appreciate you taking the time to put this together, particularly the web installer. I hope more ROM developers will start to do something like this for the PIxel line. I know that using a custom recovery can be easier for developers, but the web installer is very nice.

brazu12

Mar 18, 2021
Thank you for providing the kernel. I have a very special issue regarding USB OTG Power.

I need 1.5A from USB OTG out from the Pixel 4A 5G to provide enough current for a connected USB Device.
I plugged in a voltmeter and measured 1.63A but it drops very short (appx. after 5 Sec) to 1A. Is there a way to keep the current stable?
On a OnePlus 8T it hold constantly on 5V/1.5A without drops and I think this has to be something with the kernel. I would appreciate it if this could be considered in further kernel updates.

Reactions: ThanhLongThuVan

Top Liked Posts

ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Proton Kernel has also been updated this month to fix the “battery limited temporarily” compatibility issues with the March feature drop.

Download

ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Proton Kernel has also been updated this month to fix the “battery limited temporarily” compatibility issues with the March feature drop.

Download

Thank you for providing the kernel. I have a very special issue regarding USB OTG Power.

I need 1.5A from USB OTG out from the Pixel 4A 5G to provide enough current for a connected USB Device.
    I plugged in a voltmeter and measured 1.63A but it drops very short (appx. after 5 Sec) to 1A. Is there a way to keep the current stable?
    On a OnePlus 8T it hold constantly on 5V/1.5A without drops and I think this has to be something with the kernel. I would appreciate it if this could be considered in further kernel updates.
    Hello.
    I wanna flash my 4a 5g. Hawe it March update and locked b/l.
    What's the prequizites i must do before i flash it via web gui?
    There is no Selection button. Only Screen shot.
    I installed this rom and It works great! Only One question. I can't find the button for select text when i swipe up for multitasking. Was It removed?
    It was not removed, recents text selection is a proprietary feature on the stock Pixel ROM that is not present in AOSP. I have plans to implement it myself in ProtonAOSP but it's rather low priority at the moment.
    ProtonAOSP • Pixel 4a 5G
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Screenshots
    v11.2.0: Imgur album or public Telegram channel
    v11.3.0: Imgur album or public Telegram channel

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images similar to stock due to the lack of TWRP. Flash it as you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

Features
    • Better performance and battery life than stock
    • Easy-to-use guided web installer
    • Refined UI: typography, colors, tweaks, frosted glass blur, custom dark theme, builtin wallpapers, accent color options, fewer distractions
    • Performance: Vulkan UI rendering, reduced APEX overhead, responsive animations, deep low-level optimizations
    • Empirical performance results: up to 18% faster app/menu/screen opening, 16% screenshot capturing, up to 4x faster low-level memory management, faster image loading and saving (JPEG, PNG)
    • Improved memory management: optimized pinning, ART heap compaction, more background apps
    • Under-the-hood tweaks: better 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal retention, high-resolution recents overview, fixes for AOSP bugs, latest Chromium WebView
    • Privacy: microG support, quick settings security, internet & sensor permissions, camera & microphone indicators, permission usage dashboard, minor hardening from GrapheneOS
    • Convenience features: button to clear battery stats, call recording (where legal), machine-learning back gesture
    • Power user convenience: memory usage in Settings, advanced settings expanded by default, command-line tools for developers (e.g. SSH)
    • Usable default apps: clock, calculator, contacts, messaging, phone apps from LineageOS with custom UI tweaks
    • Modern default settings: navigation, sounds, safe volume off, etc.
    • SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box without root
    • Pixel-exclusive features: Live Caption, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, screen attention, adaptive 5G connectivity

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience. Make sure you download a ROM ZIP, not source code; source code cannot be flashed.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Known issues
    None

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5 & 4a 5G: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
    Download

Changes:
    • Updated to March feature drop base
    • Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
    • Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
    • Slightly faster cold app launches
    • Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
    • Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
    • Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
    • Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
    • Updated Now Playing song database
    • Improved web installer reliability
    • Fixed all common web installer bugs
    • Improved web installer download speeds
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
    • Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
    • Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Download

ProtonAOSP 11.3.1 is now available with security updates, fixes, and minor tweaks.

Changes:
    • Merged January security patch
    • Fixed SafetyNet attestation failing since January 12
    • Fixed screen-off voice match in Google Assistant
    • Restored global search button in Settings
    • Added round search bar in app drawer
    • Added support for gesture typing in AOSP Keyboard
    • Pixel 2: Added support for Bluetooth hearing aids
    • Pixel 2: Removed duplicate wallpaper pickers
    • Pixel 5: Removed excess padding below keyboard

Download

A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone