ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11.3.0

Zimtsäure

Mar 30, 2013
Stuttgart
Great work @kdrag0n and full respect for your effort and knowledge!(y)

I'm using extensive eSIM on my Pixel 5, just now i have 3 providers (plus 1 physical SIM). For some of them I can re-assign the eSIM for free after reset, but for some of them every re-assign costs a fee.

I would like to use your rom in a longer term, but I'm afraid that I will have to pay the fee again and again after every new version.

What do you think, is there a possibility to avoid re-assigning every time after flashing a new release? Perhaps this is already so, but I have not made any tests...

thealchemist80

Jun 9, 2019
I have a google Pixel 5 and all the google stuff on it is driving me nuts. I used to flash LineageOS onto my OnePlus 6. I am wondering if I will be able to do this with the google pixel 5, but I really don't want to brick it.

Are there any step by step instructions out there for google pixel 5 and this custom ROM? And do others reccomend this?

I would love to get away from google full stop, but I do not think it is possible right now. So I guess the minimilistic google apps package would do. But I would appreciate if there is a link to some good instructions for this ROM. Thankyou

charlatan01

Jan 10, 2008
Denver
Thanks for putting this ROM together for us! I purchased my Pixel 5 and immediately threw the AOSP no goog version on it. Running your kernel as well.

One issue I noticed when setting up work email today.

When on wifi, I can confirm O365 show's me logging in, but no matter what app I login with (nine mail, outlook for android) , it fails to complete the connection to O365. Same process works just fine when using Tmo network.

I switched wifi to use the device MAC for additional testing. When connected to wifi, I cannot send emails from my outlook to my other email accounts.

I am sure I am missing something configuration wise, any thoughts?
Thought I'd update this item. Since posting, I've discovered that this issue (and some other anomalies) occur if you install the non-google version of the ROM and you do NOT root. Following the install process and rooting solved the wifi issue completely.

Additionally, if you do like to install the non google version and then setup microg for some apps, things need to be installed fully in this order;
1) Magisk setup and patch boot img.
2) Install the microg module in Magisk. Make sure you confirm microg is completely configured before installing any apps that need spoofed google services!
3) Install apps from preferred apk store.

Thanks again @kdragon for the ROM!

Reactions: elong7681

KenK13

Jul 2, 2013
12) In your adb folder, one of the files will be called "image-redfin-rd1a.201105.003.c1" and it will be a zip file. Extract the boot.img from that zip file and place it on your phone
13) Download magisk manager and magisk patch the boot.img you've just got from the last step
I've been attempting to gain root access by patching the boot.img file as detailed above.

I extracted boot.img from "image-redfin-rq1d.201205.012.a1" (using the latest version currently available from GitHub: proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.0-gapps.zip) and copied to phone. Next, I downloaded Magisk Manager, installed it and picked the option "Select and Patch a File". Clicked on the boot.img file and allowed Magisk to do it's thing - it loaded the file and eventually failed. This is the result:

- Device platform: arm64-v8a
- Magisk Manager: 8.0.4 (4768)
- Install target: 20.4 (20400)
- Copying image to cache
- Unpacking boot image
- Checking ramdisk status
- Stock boot image detected
- Patching ramdisk
- Repacking boot image
- Unable to repack boot image!
- Installation failed

Would anyone know why it's failing and how to make Magisk repack the boot image as it's supposed to be doing?

Also, any chance there might be an option to invert the navigation bar on a future release?

Cheers!

Last edited:

elong7681

May 23, 2015
Aiken
I've been attempting to gain root access by patching the boot.img file as detailed above.

I extracted boot.img from "image-redfin-rq1d.201205.012.a1" (using the latest version currently available from GitHub: proton-aosp_redfin_11.3.0-gapps.zip) and copied to phone. Next, I downloaded Magisk Manager, installed it and picked the option "Select and Patch a File". Clicked on the boot.img file and allowed Magisk to do it's thing - it loaded the file and eventually failed. This is the result:

- Copying image to cache
- Unpacking boot image
- Patching ramdisk
- Repacking boot image
- Installation failed

Would anyone know why it's failing and how to make Magisk repack the boot image as it's supposed to be doing?

Also, any chance there might be an option to invert the navigation bar on a future release?

Cheers!
@KenK13 You have to patch the stock boot.img not the Proton boot.img

ttle54

Sep 19, 2018
Great ROM and Kernel. I can tell my Pixel 5 is running smoother and lasting longer. I just loved the ability to get rid of Google bloat ware. So far, I love it.

Yakyakattack

Jan 10, 2021
Does this ROM support signature spoofing out of the box? I'd like to use microG but I'm not very familiar with rooting/Magisk. Overall this ROM looks great though. Keep up the good work!

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010

- Copying image to cache
- Unpacking boot image
- Patching ramdisk
- Repacking boot image
- Installation failed

Cheers!
You need to use the canary version of magisk 21200

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev

@kdrag0n First off, thanks for the hard work on this ROM and being a true modern day pioneer!

Second, before I wipe my data and install this, can you please tell me if you managed to add a third row of quick settings tiles (the way it used to be on my pixel 2/OS8)? And if not, please, please, please tell me you'll do so in a future update?

I can't emphasize enough how lame it is that I can access six quick settings tiles/icons across the top of the screen, yet when I pull down to expand the quick settings area, I still have access to only the same six tiles, except now they have text labels, and a bunch of wasted space around them.

What happened to that third row, Google? There's clearly still enough space on the screen that I could pull down the menu a bit further to have another row in there. Why did you have to make this feature worse by giving users quick access to fewer settings at a time?
View attachment 5181637
View attachment 5181663

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place for a rant like this. If so, please direct me to the nearest "XDA forum for people with ASD who get extremely triggered/frustrated when things change - especially when they change for the worse, and for no apparent reason" and I'll happily roll my cart of 'ass burgers' on over there. 😖

Seriously hoping that someone in a thread/forum on here might know some way to hack/fix this, even if it means rooting, wiping data and flashing a thing, or whatever. I really just NEED to get back my 3x3 quick settings tiles! 3x2 is just so imbalanced and so much less efficient it hurts my brain! With 54 quick settings tiles, I'd only need to swipe left 5 times to get to the last set. But now it would take 9 left swipes to get to the last of them! At that point, it's not even "quick" anymore - it'd probably be faster to just open the settings app and find the setting to change that way!

Thanks in advance for any who can help! And sorry for my brain chemistry set spilling out and making a real mess in here!

EDIT: [SOLVED] I found and installed Material Notification Shade and I'm happy as a clam! 😁
View attachment 5184279
ProtonAOSP has been showing all 3 quick settings rows since 11.0.0.

Great work @kdrag0n and full respect for your effort and knowledge!(y)

I'm using extensive eSIM on my Pixel 5, just now i have 3 providers (plus 1 physical SIM). For some of them I can re-assign the eSIM for free after reset, but for some of them every re-assign costs a fee.

I would like to use your rom in a longer term, but I'm afraid that I will have to pay the fee again and again after every new version.

What do you think, is there a possibility to avoid re-assigning every time after flashing a new release? Perhaps this is already so, but I have not made any tests...
Wiping data is not necessary when updating from older versions of the ROM.

leveleyed

Jan 25, 2014
ProtonAOSP has been showing all 3 quick settings rows since 11.0.0.
Great! I may end up using this anyway then since the Material Notification Shade app is a bit buggy at times, and certain settings toggles never seen to work properly (e.g. ADB WiFi, LastPass), or simply aren't available (e.g. work profile), so I still end up needing to open the system shade for these pretty regularly.

Thanks for the response/info, and again for creating this ROM!

sic4672

Sep 26, 2009
Is anyone else suddenly failing attestation with Magisk? I started failing ctsProfile this morning, but I had not done anything since I went to bed. I'm on the latest Canary build. The only module I have is MagiskHide Prop Config, but I didn't mess with any settings. I'm asking here because I know the ROM has its own way of passing Safety Net, or at least that's what I understood from the OP

Reactions: Veiranx

hodula1

Jun 5, 2005
Is anyone else suddenly failing attestation with Magisk? I started failing ctsProfile this morning, but I had not done anything since I went to bed. I'm on the latest Canary build. The only module I have is MagiskHide Prop Config, but I didn't mess with any settings. I'm asking here because I know the ROM has its own way of passing Safety Net, or at least that's what I understood from the OP

Attestation is not failing for me, but all of a sudden starting yesterday, looks like Google Pay is detecting root.

Reactions: Veiranx

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev