ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Hi, quick question, now that you have DSDS working, can you receive SMS via both of your carriers? If so, I'd be curious to know which app are you using to handle this? Thanks.
Yes I get sms on both with the Google messages app by default. If I use Signal only one is allowed I believe. On WhatsApp you can't get both but the workaround is to use business WhatsApp. Is that what you mean?

nsiti

Mar 28, 2011
Yes I get sms on both with the Google messages app by default. If I use Signal only one is allowed I believe. On WhatsApp you can't get both but the workaround is to use business WhatsApp. Is that what you mean?

Hi, yes, that you can receive SMS from both SIM cards using Google Messages answers my question. I'm glad hear this. Thanks!

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Hi, yes, that you can receive SMS from both SIM cards using Google Messages answers my question. I'm glad hear this. Thanks!
With Messages you can choose whether to ask every time which to send it from or have a default one. You'll see everything in the setup under "network & internet" Sim manager runs it in the background. Works great, good luck.

eloper

Aug 18, 2012
SafetyNet passes out of the Box with the latest build the fix ist not needed

Hmph, wonder why I'm not passing then...

Anyone else having issues getting SafetyNet to pass?

Not a deal breaker for me, more just a nice to have and was surprised to see the built in support for it.

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Hmph, wonder why I'm not passing then...

Anyone else having issues getting SafetyNet to pass?

Not a deal breaker for me, more just a nice to have and was surprised to see the built in support for it.
Are you sure you set up magisk hide properly?
It should pass.

Edit: actually if you're not rooted then idk.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:
• Updated to March feature drop base
• Added new Strange Dimension wallpapers
• Changed default wallpaper to Space - Strange Landscape
• Slightly faster cold app launches
• Fixed stock lock screen unlocking bug (Sultan)
• Fixed stock recents app clearing bug (LineageOS)
• Fixed overscroll bounce in notification shade
• Fixed volume panel animation and dismissal bugs
• Cleaned up options in wallpaper picker
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Improved web installer reliability
• Fixed all common web installer bugs
• Improved web installer download speeds
• Updated WebView to Chromium 88 (fixes excessive storage usage)
• Pixel 2: Fixed flashing with the web installer
• Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Added support for dual-SIM 5G standby (DSDS)
• Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Enabled background app suspension to save power and improve performance
• Pixel 4a 5G: Fixed device model name

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

MarcoG:

May 7, 2011
Herford Germany(NRW)
ProtonAOSP 11.3.3 is now available with many bug fixes and under-the-hood updates.

Changes:

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
Nice Changelog,thank you the Update

hoqpus

Jan 17, 2011
after flashing the update 11.3.3 via web interface my patched boot.img does not work anymore (bootloader reboots to bootloader instead of system) so I cannot get temp. root for magisk to use "direct install".

So I guess I'll have to update my (patched) boot.img with the corresponding one from the update?!

What is the easiest way to get it? Download the ROM or google image manually?

Update: yes I had to download the zip manually (which took less than 1min btw compared to the web installer).
patched it and it worked.

so for me one more reason why the web installer is useless (FOR ME!!!).

I just don't understand why you are promoting your web installer and at the same time usage of your kernel while those are incompatible.

Last edited:

sruel3216

Nov 9, 2010
Noob question for the No Google App version of the rom...

I am on the google app version currently but debating going to the Non Google app version.

How are contacts restored on the google-less version if you aren't using the apps?

Also, do monthly subscription apps work like Spotify and Strava?

Last edited:

Ivan93tm

Jan 14, 2011
Lurano
Just installed the rom with web installer and everything works really well, just few question for dev:
1) can you make a version of the rom with almost all the gapps and service but with all of your improvment ? (obviusly if it's not too long work)
2) can you add option to edit tiles ? (example 4 column when expanded)
3) can you add a true black tone for dark them like in lineage os?

THanks in advance for your fantastic job

jawonder

Nov 29, 2010
Boynton Beach, FL
How do you backup your apps when not rooted . That's one of the main reason in root because I'm lazy to restore all my app data after a clean install . Google drive doesn't seem to backup any data at all . I wonder why this is , when Apple's iCloud can backup data and iTunes backup everything without been jailbroken.

sruel3216

Nov 9, 2010
Weird issue I've been experiencing on the newest version of the ROM (happy version). Everytime I switch wallpapers or change accent colors or icons, I start to get micro stutters when I pull down notification shade or swipe up to recents. Reset does not fix. Only fix for me was flashing dirty flashing rom again.

I'm not rooted with stock kernel.

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for your great advice, typical XDA. I already have an iPhone and I don't want to root.

With this application you will need TWRP, it works well.

Reactions: jawonder

jawonder

Nov 29, 2010
Boynton Beach, FL

Bf2multi100

May 26, 2014
after flashing the update 11.3.3 via web interface my patched boot.img does not work anymore (bootloader reboots to bootloader instead of system) so I cannot get temp. root for magisk to use "direct install".

So I guess I'll have to update my (patched) boot.img with the corresponding one from the update?!

What is the easiest way to get it? Download the ROM or google image manually?

Update: yes I had to download the zip manually (which took less than 1min btw compared to the web installer).
patched it and it worked.

so for me one more reason why the web installer is useless (FOR ME!!!).

I just don't understand why you are promoting your web installer and at the same time usage of your kernel while those are incompatible.

I had the same issue.

Was rooted, updated to 11.3.3, used latest boot.img from googles OTA update (basically following this links article: https://www.naldotech.com/root-google-pixel-5-magisk ) which has worked the last couple updates, along with magisk to patch file.

Rebooted fine to fast boot, installed patched boot.img and the bootloop came up.

Had to reflash the boot.img with the factory boot.img (still waiting for github to download the 11.3.3 image UGH...1 hour later) and after a few reboots phone is back with data in-tact.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Proton Kernel has also been updated this month to fix the “battery limited temporarily” compatibility issues with the March feature drop.

Download

Is there a way to re-lock the bootloader with this ROM? I locked it again after flashing, but then I got a message that "no bootable system could be found", and was forced to unlock again.
    No, I would like to add support for it but that would force all users to wipe data when updating.
    SafetyNet isn't passing for me on this build + ProtonKernel + Magisk (hide).
    It used to pass in this configuration on the previous build.
    It says: "evalType N/A" (?).

Anyway, everything else is smoooooth as butter.
    That's not related to the ROM. See https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/4216 and for details.
    SafetyNet isn't passing for me on this build + ProtonKernel + Magisk (hide).
    It used to pass in this configuration on the previous build.
    It says: "evalType N/A" (?).

Anyway, everything else is smoooooth as butter.
    Maybe, Magisk Canary_22103 will fix it.
    This ROM is a vast improvement over stock in battery, memory management and animation quality. Very good work done here. The only thing I miss are the stock pixel notification sounds and that's an easy fix. Thanks for the quality work!
    ProtonAOSP • Pixel 5
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Screenshots
    v11.2.0: Imgur album or public Telegram channel
    v11.3.0: Imgur album or public Telegram channel

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images similar to stock due to the lack of TWRP. Flash it as you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

Features
    • Better performance and battery life than stock
    • Easy-to-use guided web installer
    • Refined UI: typography, colors, tweaks, frosted glass blur, custom dark theme, builtin wallpapers, accent color options, fewer distractions
    • Performance: Vulkan UI rendering, reduced APEX overhead, responsive animations, deep low-level optimizations
    • Empirical performance results: up to 18% faster app/menu/screen opening, 16% screenshot capturing, up to 4x faster low-level memory management, faster image loading and saving (JPEG, PNG)
    • Improved memory management: optimized pinning, ART heap compaction, more background apps
    • Under-the-hood tweaks: better 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal retention, high-resolution recents overview, fixes for AOSP bugs, latest Chromium WebView
    • Privacy: microG support, quick settings security, internet & sensor permissions, camera & microphone indicators, permission usage dashboard, minor hardening from GrapheneOS
    • Convenience features: button to clear battery stats, call recording (where legal), machine-learning back gesture
    • Power user convenience: memory usage in Settings, advanced settings expanded by default, command-line tools for developers (e.g. SSH)
    • Usable default apps: clock, calculator, contacts, messaging, phone apps from LineageOS with custom UI tweaks
    • Modern default settings: navigation, sounds, safe volume off, etc.
    • SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box without root
    • Pixel-exclusive features: Live Caption, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, screen attention, adaptive 5G connectivity

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience. Make sure you download a ROM ZIP, not source code; source code cannot be flashed.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Known issues
    None

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with support for the Pixel 4a 5G, eSIM, enhanced carrier features, some Pixel-exclusive features, and many more changes.

Changes:
    • Updated to December feature drop and security patch
    • Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
    • Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
    • Fixed some apps detecting root
    • Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
    • Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
    • Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
    • Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
    • Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
    • Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
    • Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
    • Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
    • Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
    • Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
    • Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
    • Added SSH client and server with hardened config
    • Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
    • Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
    • Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
    • Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
    • Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
    • Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for Pixel 4a 5G

Download

A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by new updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
    Download

Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention, and several other Pixel-exclusive features (not all) will be added in the next version with the December security patch.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone