ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

Spl4tt

I installed gcam from the play store, and all runs well, but switching between back and front cam is veeeery slow. Any idea what this could be? I'm also running the Proton kernel.

Also, I just got this Pixel 5 and came from a Oneplus 8 Pro. Especially with this ROM I see almost no performance differences. I don't know how stock is (Went straight to this ROM), but comparing those two SoCs, I'm amazed how the only "performance" difference I see is 120hz vs 90hz. Well done man

9AVXzGZD

Jan 2, 2009
Has anyone had an issue with App Cloner not working? It crashes every time I try to run it. Its the first time I've tried to run it on Android 11, so maybe its just incompatible.

thecompany

Dec 17, 2006
I installed gcam from the play store, and all runs well, but switching between back and front cam is veeeery slow. Any idea what this could be? I'm also running the Proton kernel.

Also, I just got this Pixel 5 and came from a Oneplus 8 Pro. Especially with this ROM I see almost no performance differences. I don't know how stock is (Went straight to this ROM), but comparing those two SoCs, I'm amazed how the only "performance" difference I see is 120hz vs 90hz. Well done man
Is your phone rooted and have you applied a navbar gone mod? I have the same issue but that's because I disabled my navbar.

eac

Apr 29, 2008
Braila
Hi guys.
Is it something I'm doing wrong or what?
My phone is charging only to 80%, then it stops...
Can you tell me how can I make it to not be so protective with the battery?
Thank you and sorry if it is already answered here. I've searched as well as I was able to, but I didn't find anything

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 5
Hi guys.
Thank you and sorry if it is already answered here. I've searched as well as I was able to, but I didn't find anything
On your lock screen, does it tell you that it is "optimizing for battery health"? If it is, then you're charging your phone too much and it puts it into a safety mode, limiting your battery capacity.

I have the same bug while on stock but it tells me that I'm perpetually wirelessly charging, which is not true.

wix1210

May 25, 2010
Hi guys.
What kernel are you using?

eac

Apr 29, 2008
Braila
On your lock screen, does it tell you that it is "optimizing for battery health"? If it is, then you're charging your phone too much and it puts it into a safety mode, limiting your battery capacity.

I have the same bug while on stock but it tells me that I'm perpetually wirelessly charging, which is not true.
Yes man, that's the message.
But I'm not charging it too much.
I even made a macro with MacroDroid to monitor the charge and to alert me as soon as the charging is stuck.
And as soon as the battery level is reaching 80% (sometimes 79%), it stops charging any more.
Humm, it's my 1st contact with Pixel, but I couldn't say it's a very friendly one...from my point of view, obvious.
Thanks for the answer anyway.
So no solution to this issue, isn't it?

What kernel are you using?
It's It was in my sig: Proton Kernel v1.1

Last edited:

wix1210

May 25, 2010
I even made a macro with MacroDroid to monitor the charge and to alert me as soon as the charging is stuck.
And as soon as the battery level is reaching 80% (sometimes 79%), it stops charging any more.
Humm, it's my 1st contact with Pixel, but I couldn't say it's a very friendly one...from my point of view, obvious.

It's in my sig: Proton Kernel v1.1
Had a problem with charging on Proton kernel, changed to CleanSlate no problems since.

eac

Apr 29, 2008
Braila
Had a problem with charging on Proton kernel, changed to CleanSlate no problems since.
I see. That's a pitty.
I thought the Proton ROM is the best match for the Proton kernel.
I'll give it a try to CleanSlate.
Thanks for the tip.

Later edit:
Well my friend, I've just boot the CleanSlate for now, not flash it for good and seems that is working...
I'll get back with more feedback.

Last edited:

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010
I used Proto Kernel and never saw the charge limitation before. That's a weird one if it is not Android limiting you for battery health. Have you added any Magisk modules or battery apps that might be overriding it?

hoqpus

Jan 17, 2011

It's It was in my sig: Proton Kernel v1.1
Hi.

I had exactly the same issue(?) since March update and using Proton Kernel.

That's actually why I'm here now to check if April update is ready as I thought it might be the ROM.

I already "complained" last month that this (for me pretty slow) web installer is promoted and at the same time usage of the kernel (which cannot be installed via the web installer so you have to go the classic way anyways).

Maybe this recommendation or the Kernel needs an update.

Will check out this alternative Kernel now...

Thanks.

Last edited:

eac

Apr 29, 2008
Braila
I used Proto Kernel and never saw the charge limitation before. That's a weird one if it is not Android limiting you for battery health. Have you added any Magisk modules or battery apps that might be overriding it?
Did you used Proto kernel with Proto ROM?
For me, this pair behaved like I've said.
Now with CleanSlate kernel and Proto ROM, everything is OK with the battery. For the rest... we'll see...
And no, I'm not using Magisk at all.

swbf2lord

Dec 13, 2009
Florida
Is there a way to re-lock the bootloader with this ROM? I locked it again after flashing, but then I got a message that "no bootable system could be found", and was forced to unlock again.

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    Is there a way to re-lock the bootloader with this ROM? I locked it again after flashing, but then I got a message that "no bootable system could be found", and was forced to unlock again.
    Lucky
    I think locking the bootloader while not 100 percent stock can cause the phone to be bricked.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
    kdrag0n.dev
    ProtonAOSP 11.4.0 is now available with significant performance improvements.

Changes:
    • April security patch
    • Machine learning back gesture from Android 12 (better accuracy and adaptive sensitivity)
    • Improved overall system performance
    • Up to 18% faster app, menu, and screen opening
    • 16% faster screenshot capturing
    • Up to 4x faster low-level memory management
    • Empirical optimizations throughout many different layers of the system
    • Faster image loading and saving (PNG and JPEG)
    • Compiled with the latest Clang 12 toolchain from Android 12
    • Updated UI fonts
    • Updated WebView to Chromium 89 (LineageOS)
    • Preparation for Pixel 4 and 4 XL support
    • Pixel 2: Fixed updating without wiping data

Proton Kernel has also been updated this month to fix the “battery limited temporarily” compatibility issues with the March feature drop.

Install from browser for a quick and easy installation process (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

Top Liked Posts

The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.
      ProtonAOSP 11.5.0 has been released.

Changes:
      New website with comprehensive documentation and screenshots
      • May security patch
      • Added adaptive brightness toggle in QS (with UI tweaks)
      • Added support for Pixel 4 and 4 XL
      • Improved blur quality with state-of-the-art triangular RGB blue noise dithering and gamma correction
      • Changed UI theme to Primer, modified with state-of-the-art color science (by patron vote)
      • Better default ringtone, alarm, and notification sounds
      • New photo wallpapers from Unsplash
      • New space wallpapers from Infinitum
      • Improved default Strange Landscape wallpaper (Infinitum)
      • Low-level blur optimizations for GPU efficiency
      • New, uniform blur strength across all devices
      • Updated WebView to Chromium 90 (LineageOS)
      • Updated Now Playing song database
      • Enabled recents text selection for Pixel Launcher users
      • Fixed network permission for multiple users (GrapheneOS)
      • Pixel 2: Fixed SafetyNet attestation failures
      • Pixel 4: Customizable Active Edge support
      • Pixel 4: Unlocked always-on display setting (LineageOS)
      • Pixel 4: Better connection to weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks
      • Pixel 4: Night Light color temperature calibration from stock
      • Pixel 4: Device and USB port overheating warnings from stock
      • Pixel 4: Reduced background memory usage
      • Pixel 4: Optimized native code for Snapdragon 855 CPU
      • Pixel 4: Background app freezing for performance & battery
      • Pixel 4: Smoother lock screen
      • Pixel 4: More detailed face unlock errors
      • Pixel 4: Disabled UI compositor debugging

Website
      Install from browser (recommended)
      Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
      The vast majority of questions in this thread have been repetitive, so there is now a list of frequently asked questions to answer them.

If you have questions or concerns, please read the FAQ before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Feel free to ask your question(s) again if the FAQ doesn't currently answer them, and we will add an answer for you.
      I tried this ROM for a little while yesterday. I have some comments.

First, please provide a flashable ZIP. I was uncomfortable using the web installer because of the security risk; I was less than pleased to discover this writes to not only boot and system, but the bootloader and radio as well.

I then attempted to boot TWRP in order to flash Magisk, which got stuck in a boot loop.

I have always preferred Google Chrome as the browser of choice; the built in browser should be removable.

I ended up having to do a complete factory reflash.
      if you're an OG then you should understand by now that this sense of entitlement isn't considered polite or acceptable on XDA. This product literally costs you nothing.

Making feature requests is a far cry from the demands you're making.

You're better off on stock.
      This ROM is a vast improvement over stock in battery, memory management and animation quality. Very good work done here. The only thing I miss are the stock pixel notification sounds and that's an easy fix. Thanks for the quality work!
      Question: is now playing visible on lock screen when aod is active? For me not working.
      Hey still hanging around? I use that app after installing Los or this rom and it will find my sim? I tried to download my sim using Google and it threw me an error of some kind. I'm looking to try this next but need an esim
      So 1. Install gapps, you'll need it to use esim as far as I'm aware. 2. I did need to go to my carriers website and scan a QR code to re add it.

That's about all I got for you, sorry
      ProtonAOSP
      Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel.

Screenshots
      Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
      This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
      List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
      Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
      If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
      Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
      ROM source code
      ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with support for the Pixel 4a 5G, eSIM, enhanced carrier features, some Pixel-exclusive features, and many more changes.

Changes:
      • Updated to December feature drop and security patch
      • Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
      • Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
      • Fixed some apps detecting root
      • Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
      • Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
      • Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
      • Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
      • Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
      • Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
      • Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
      • Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
      • Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
      • Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
      • Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
      • Added SSH client and server with hardened config
      • Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
      • Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
      • Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
      • Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
      • Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
      • Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
      • Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
      • Added support for Pixel 4a 5G

Download

A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by new updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
      ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
      • Updated to February security patch
      • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
      • Updated visual voicemail configs
      • Pixel 5: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
      New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
      Download

Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention, and several other Pixel-exclusive features (not all) will be added in the next version with the December security patch.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone