ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

hoqpus

Jan 17, 2011
Installation guideline for people who are already running Proton (dirty flash)

The root + kernel part is optional.

For me this is much faster than the online installer.

download latest platform-tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

download latest ROM: https://github.com/ProtonAOSP/android_device_google_redbull/releases

download latest Kernel: https://github.com/kdrag0n/proton_kernel_redbull/releases

------ ROM installation ------

extract ROM to platform-tools folder

enter fastboot mode (power + vol down)

start cmd in platform-tools folder

run command "flash_all.bat"

delete extracted ROM from platform-tools folder

let phone boot and finish updating process

------ Root access ------

extract boot.img from the downloaded ROM

put it on the phone and patch it with magisk app

move magisk_patched.img back to the platform-tools folder

run command "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"

run command "fastboot reboot"

------ Kernel installation ------

run command "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img"

------ Check success ------

settings -> about phone -> android version -> check ROM + Kernel version

start magisk app and check if everything is ok

Reactions: mindyabiznis

itsita

Sep 29, 2012
SafetyNet isn't passing for me on this build + ProtonKernel + Magisk (hide).
It used to pass in this configuration on the previous build.
It says: "evalType N/A" (?).

Anyway, everything else is smoooooth as butter.

wix1210

May 25, 2010

Maybe it's root. Mines working fine but I'm not rooted.

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010

I'm running the same config as you, just updated all of them, and passing safetynet check. Not sure why as I didn't do anything special, just updated.
You don't have EdXposed? That breaks it more often when I play with it.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev

bavarianblessed

Feb 17, 2009
Chattanooga
This ROM is a vast improvement over stock in battery, memory management and animation quality. Very good work done here. The only thing I miss are the stock pixel notification sounds and that's an easy fix. Thanks for the quality work!

Reactions: cocoabro

Elyey

Jan 30, 2021
Anyone gets root on ProtonAOSP 11.4.0?
Still no success

I tried like on #521, and I get a bootloop after run command "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"
I used Magisk Canary 22104 and 22103

Same problem with bootloop was on 11.3.3 and 11.3.2

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
I have question.

Does Proton ROM pass Widevine L1?
Yes.
Anyone gets root on ProtonAOSP 11.4.0?
Still no success

I tried like on #521, and I get a bootloop after run command "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"
I used Magisk Canary 22104 and 22103

Same problem with bootloop was on 11.3.3 and 11.3.2
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but all you have to do is extract boot.img from the factory images package, patch it with the latest stable version of Magisk, and flash it to the boot partition using the command you posted. Nobody else has had problems with this.

Elyey

Jan 30, 2021
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but all you have to do is extract boot.img from the factory images package, patch it with the latest stable version of Magisk, and flash it to the boot partition using the command you posted. Nobody else has had problems with this.
I understand, it's strange. I got root before, on 11.3.1. But after that, I updated to 11.3.2 and my root gone.
Then I updated to 11.3.3 and 11.4.0, and still have a problem
I got bootloop after each "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img".

Same method:
I extract boot.img from the factory images package (first 11.3.1, then 11.3.2, then 11.3.3, now 11.4.0), patch it with the latest CANARY version of Magisk, and flash it to the boot partition using "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img".

I also patched boot.img from 11.3.2 and from 11.3.3 with the latest STABLE version of Magisk, but I still got bootloop

7aylor

Feb 22, 2018
FL
Out of storage. I successfully installed Proton ROM on my Pixel device before, but now it gives me the following error everytime I try to download through web installer...
"Out of storage
There isn’t enough storage space available to download and unpack the OS. You need at least 5 GB free.
If you’re not low on storage, this is caused by using an incognito window or guest browser profile. These profiles have very low storage limits, so installing from them isn’t possible.
To fix this, switch to a normal browser profile and try again."
I mean, I am no genius, but I am not in an incognito tab or browser, plus just in case I was being an idiot (sometimes happens), I have also tried using the web installer with the following browsers....
Chrome
Edge
Firefox
Brave
The installation fails at a different place every time. This last time I thought it would work, because it had about 1 or 2 dots left in the download then BAM, error.

I am looking for guidance, advice, answers, solutions, anything to help!

Thanks!

Ruvaldak

May 28, 2016
Can you add Dolby HIDL 2.0 to the manifest.xml? Trying to install Dolby Atmos via magisk fails because of a read-only build ROM, at least according to the author of the Dolby Atmos port.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Can you add Dolby HIDL 2.0 to the manifest.xml? Trying to install Dolby Atmos via magisk fails because of a read-only build ROM, at least according to the author of the Dolby Atmos port.
Mods will never be officially supported. The system is read-only because that's how AOSP is built on devices with dynamic partitions, but I don't see why that would affect Magisk modules because they don't modify the system itself to begin with.
Out of storage. I successfully installed Proton ROM on my Pixel device before, but now it gives me the following error everytime I try to download through web installer...
"Out of storage
There isn’t enough storage space available to download and unpack the OS. You need at least 5 GB free.
If you’re not low on storage, this is caused by using an incognito window or guest browser profile. These profiles have very low storage limits, so installing from them isn’t possible.
To fix this, switch to a normal browser profile and try again."
I mean, I am no genius, but I am not in an incognito tab or browser, plus just in case I was being an idiot (sometimes happens), I have also tried using the web installer with the following browsers....
Chrome
Edge
Firefox
Brave
The installation fails at a different place every time. This last time I thought it would work, because it had about 1 or 2 dots left in the download then BAM, error.

I am looking for guidance, advice, answers, solutions, anything to help!

Thanks!
Try clearing site data for protonaosp.kdrag0n.dev in Chrome: Settings -> Privacy and security -> Site settings ->View permissions and data stored across sites -> protonaosp.kdrag0n.dev -> Clear data. If it fixes the issue, please let me know so I can improve storage management in the future. If not, open the browser console (right click anywhere on the page -> Inspect Element -> Console) and take a screenshot once it fails.

soap00

Jan 21, 2014
Napoli
This ROM is a vast improvement over stock in battery, memory management and animation quality. Very good work done here. The only thing I miss are the stock pixel notification sounds and that's an easy fix. Thanks for the quality work!
I'm interested in what you said "that's an easy fix". Is there a method to have pixel default notification sounds?

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
Maybe the following question has already been asked, but:
Is it possible to set the touch sensitivity ? I use a screen shield and sometimes it is hard to make inputs with the standard touch sensitivity. I didn't find an option in ProtonAOSP to change it to be more sensitive.

Kind regards,
dewaldo79

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried this ROM for a little while yesterday. I have some comments.

First, please provide a flashable ZIP. I was uncomfortable using the web installer because of the security risk; I was less than pleased to discover this writes to not only boot and system, but the bootloader and radio as well.

I then attempted to boot TWRP in order to flash Magisk, which got stuck in a boot loop.

I have always preferred Google Chrome as the browser of choice; the built in browser should be removable.

I ended up having to do a complete factory reflash.
    if you're an OG then you should understand by now that this sense of entitlement isn't considered polite or acceptable on XDA. This product literally costs you nothing.

Making feature requests is a far cry from the demands you're making.

You're better off on stock.
    Question: is now playing visible on lock screen when aod is active? For me not working.
    Hey still hanging around? I use that app after installing Los or this rom and it will find my sim? I tried to download my sim using Google and it threw me an error of some kind. I'm looking to try this next but need an esim
    So 1. Install gapps, you'll need it to use esim as far as I'm aware. 2. I did need to go to my carriers website and scan a QR code to re add it.

That's about all I got for you, sorry
    I'm not using a router.
    then you don't need an IP

why do you need a static IP?
    ProtonAOSP • Pixel 5
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Screenshots
    v11.2.0: Imgur album or public Telegram channel
    v11.3.0: Imgur album or public Telegram channel

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images similar to stock due to the lack of TWRP. Flash it as you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

Features
    • Better performance and battery life than stock
    • Easy-to-use guided web installer
    • Refined UI: typography, colors, tweaks, frosted glass blur, custom dark theme, builtin wallpapers, accent color options, fewer distractions
    • Performance: Vulkan UI rendering, reduced APEX overhead, responsive animations, deep low-level optimizations
    • Empirical performance results: up to 18% faster app/menu/screen opening, 16% screenshot capturing, up to 4x faster low-level memory management, faster image loading and saving (JPEG, PNG)
    • Improved memory management: optimized pinning, ART heap compaction, more background apps
    • Under-the-hood tweaks: better 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal retention, high-resolution recents overview, fixes for AOSP bugs, latest Chromium WebView
    • Privacy: microG support, quick settings security, internet & sensor permissions, camera & microphone indicators, permission usage dashboard, minor hardening from GrapheneOS
    • Convenience features: button to clear battery stats, call recording (where legal), machine-learning back gesture
    • Power user convenience: memory usage in Settings, advanced settings expanded by default, command-line tools for developers (e.g. SSH)
    • Usable default apps: clock, calculator, contacts, messaging, phone apps from LineageOS with custom UI tweaks
    • Modern default settings: navigation, sounds, safe volume off, etc.
    • SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box without root
    • Pixel-exclusive features: Live Caption, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, screen attention, adaptive 5G connectivity

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience. Make sure you download a ROM ZIP, not source code; source code cannot be flashed.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Known issues
    None

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with support for the Pixel 4a 5G, eSIM, enhanced carrier features, some Pixel-exclusive features, and many more changes.

Changes:
    • Updated to December feature drop and security patch
    • Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
    • Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
    • Fixed some apps detecting root
    • Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
    • Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
    • Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
    • Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
    • Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
    • Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
    • Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
    • Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
    • Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
    • Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
    • Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
    • Added SSH client and server with hardened config
    • Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
    • Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
    • Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
    • Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
    • Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
    • Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for Pixel 4a 5G

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by new updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention, and several other Pixel-exclusive features (not all) will be added in the next version with the December security patch.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone